• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any recommendations.... ?
Hi Daniel, and welcome to this Forum.

This basic question, and many many others, have been discussed at length over the past ten years. In fact, there are more than ten pages of discussion threads on this subject. You can access them all by using the "search" function near the top of the forum home page. Happy reading!

Hello, when it comes to packs there will be as many recommendations as there are people on this forum. Packs are a very personal thing, just like the type of shoes or boots to wear. I live on the west coast of Canada and have a few different packs because great hiking is on my door step. However before my first Camino trek I looked for advice from well experienced long distance trekkers and this is what I was told and it has served me well.
a. Pack light not more than 10% of your body weight for this type of trek and include the weight of full water bottles or internal bladder, about 2kg or 4lbs for a two litre.
b. Small packs are not always the best choice for long distance trekking. A larger pack is only marginally heavier but provides significantly better fit and therefore comfort. A small pack bulging and the seams is going to be much harder on you than a larger pack only partly full.
c. Pick a pack that can be adjusted not only for height but making small adjustments throughout the day can allow different muscles to be used while others get a break.
d. Proper Fit-Proper Fit-Proper Fit, a pack should have a considerable waist belt because you should be carrying the weight on your hips not your shoulders. The shoulder straps provide stability and keep you pack upright, your hips carry the weight. Shoulder strap packs are ok for day hikes but not for 4 or 5 weeks.
Hope this helps, it's a tough choice for sure as they are not cheap. Oh and one more piece of very good information for you.
Before you go to sleep have your day clothes set aside and your pack ready to go. If everyone else is not up and getting ready then grab your sleeping gear and your already prepared pack and step into the washroom or other area outside of the sleeping quarters and get ready to depart there. Nothing worse than an earlier riser who has to tear their pack apart on their bunk while other are trying to get some much needed rest.
Enjoy the journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any recommendations for what kind of backpack to take for the Camino Frances? April 2018
Put together all the things that you are told that you need!
Try then, to get rid of all the things you think you really don't need *, then add about litre of liquid PLUS! Warm clothing for the Pyrenees in April? Find weight add food snacks for full day.
Look for a rucksack that fits you and will take this load. Remember you can use the post to send things home or send things on.
* Sods law says, that the last thing you leave behind, is the second or third thing you need. Enjoy your Camino!

Hello, when it comes to packs there will be as many recommendations as there are people on this forum. Packs are a very personal thing, just like the type of shoes or boots to wear. I live on the west coast of Canada and have a few different packs because great hiking is on my door step. However before my first Camino trek I looked for advice from well experienced long distance trekkers and this is what I was told and it has served me well.
a. Pack light not more than 10% of your body weight for this type of trek and include the weight of full water bottles or internal bladder, about 2kg or 4lbs for a two litre.
b. Small packs are not always the best choice for long distance trekking. A larger pack is only marginally heavier but provides significantly better fit and therefore comfort. A small pack bulging and the seams is going to be much harder on you than a larger pack only partly full.
c. Pick a pack that can be adjusted not only for height but making small adjustments throughout the day can allow different muscles to be used while others get a break.
d. Proper Fit-Proper Fit-Proper Fit, a pack should have a considerable waist belt because you should be carrying the weight on your hips not your shoulders. The shoulder straps provide stability and keep you pack upright, your hips carry the weight. Shoulder strap packs are ok for day hikes but not for 4 or 5 weeks.
Hope this helps, it's a tough choice for sure as they are not cheap. Oh and one more piece of very good information for you.
Before you go to sleep have your day clothes set aside and your pack ready to go. If everyone else is not up and getting ready then grab your sleeping gear and your already prepared pack and step into the washroom or other area outside of the sleeping quarters and get ready to depart there. Nothing worse than an earlier riser who has to tear their pack apart on their bunk while other are trying to get some much needed rest.
Enjoy the journey.

I beg to differ.... Try someone who, despite having packed and repacked their backpack the night before, packs the pack three times commencing 5.30 am...

OK - they may have had a condition, such as OCD, and their pack had to be packed 'just right' but fully agree with the advice to pack your bag before you go to sleep, and finalise the packing outside the dormitory the next morning if you are an early starter...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Osprey Kestrel 38L. I used it on my last Camino and I'll be using it again this time around. If you need a bigger pack than this then you are taking too much stuff. I hope this helps. I'll also be starting in April next year so I may see you out there!

Good luck on this question. :):):) You will probably get quite a few options because we are all different. I’ve walked the CF twice with an ultralight frameless pack. 40 litre Mountain Laurel Designs. Newer versions are now available. Frameless packs are not for everyone. The one I have happens to suit me because I have osteoporosis in my spine and weight is more important that things like frames, airflow, etc.
Have a very buen camino.

Last edited:
All the above is sage advice. If you'd like some recommendations as a guide to increase your understanding, begin researching, and help educate yourself about the pro's and cons' feel free to begin with some of my personal favorites (after 30 years of hiking I've tried quite a few). Remember this is a start, I encourage you to expand your search to include some companies I may not even know about, and may provide a better pack for your individual needs.

Gregory... Zulu models are fantastic for light-weight to size ratio and wonderful balance and load balance (my personal fave being the Z series which Zulu replaces), Osprey Aether (slightly expensive for what you get in Australia) but an amazing load bearing system and ultra comfy, North Face Terra 50 or 65 (way to expensive - but good all-round packs).

Start here, read about features, quaility, weight etc... and then pick your own! (in a professional store pls - the extra few bucks is well worth it as they'll ensure the right fit... ie. torso size is very important).

I'a late April start... hope to see you along the way & best of luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any recommendations for what kind of backpack to take for the Camino Frances? April 2018
Had a great experience with an Osprey Atmos 50AG on the CF with Finisterre and Muxia from late April to early June of this year. It had enough space to accommodate additional food and water that I carried on a few long stretches with few or no trailside cafes or potable water. Plan to use it on other camino trails in future.

Lots of useful information in the posts by others above. Good luck, CT

I like this ones : Look at the pack weight !

Nero Backpack - $199
Color:
Specifications:

Pack Weight: 10.9 ounces (309 grams) | Foam sit pad adds 1.0 oz (28 grams)
Belt: 1" (2.5 cm) wide x 50" (127 cm) circumference. 1.2 oz (34 grams) included.
Body dimensions: 5.5" x 12" x 23" (14 cm x 30 cm x 59 cm)
Volume: 25L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket, 38 Liters Total
Load Capacity: Recommended up to 20 lbs (9 kg)

Zpacks™ Nero Backpack

I carried a 40 L Osprey pack and tried to stay with 10 Kilos.

But my main point is to recommend you find a sporting goods store that has an experienced backpacker employed and who can fit your pack correctly. I have been backpacking in the Sierra for over 50 years only to find that my big pack was not fitted properly. When I purchased my pack for the Camino, I also brought my 90 L pack to the store. The clerk fit both to me and I subsequently used both within the next 2 months. What a difference the proper fit made. So Fit, Fit, Fit, for me is the most important

Buen Camino -- Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read To Walk Far, Carry Less. Wrote to the author about her favorite pack. She said it was no longer available but recommended the Osprey Exos 38. REI stores in the US have well-trained employees for fitting packs and shoes. If you can purchase there, I recommend it. They also have a one-year return policy. Packs are personal. Fit is most important. If you buy at REI, you can load it and hike with it in preparation for your Camino. If you don't like it, you can always return it and try a different pack.

I have a new North Face 32 liter Aleia pack. Weighs only 31 ounces/879 gm. They also have a men's version called the Litus.

Which backpack? Go to REI and TRY A BUNCH ON before you buy. Backpacks and shoes are the two most important possessions you'll carry with you on the Camino...and both are very personal choices. Let your body decide not your wallet. REI will allow you to load it up with 20lbs of sand and hike around the store before you buy. Do that!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. Forget the old wives tale of 10% of your body weight. (Sorry FSP). If you are pushing 200 lb, that would allow a pack weight of 20 lb which is about half of what most will be able to bear.
2. Plan and accumulate what you will take. Do your best to minimize its weight. Only you will carry it, or give it up along the way.
3. Get a garbage bag and put all your planned belongings into it and take it to the store and find a really good pack expert. Hold out the bag and say,"I am taking this 800 km next year and I need a pack that will carry everything in this bag as well as water. And I need to do it comfortably." He / she should show a pack that will be just big enough for your stuff. If you go bigger, keep these three things in mind;
i) It will cost more.
ii) It will weigh more.
iii) If there is more room in the pack than is needed for your stuff, the common practice is to fill the empty bit with more stuff, more weight, less comfort.
4. Once a pack is decided upon, get them to help fit it to you. Most do not buy a pack often and different designs have different methods of adjustment. Most are obvious but some are not.
5. Finally, you are walking out of the store with a new pack with all your stuff in it. Schedule time to hike some distance with it, just as you plan to do on the Camino. If a problem crops up, you want to find out BEFORE you head for the Camino and get it resolved.

Enjoy and be safe.

I like this ones : Look at the pack weight !

Nero Backpack - $199
Color:
Specifications:

Pack Weight: 10.9 ounces (309 grams) | Foam sit pad adds 1.0 oz (28 grams)
Belt: 1" (2.5 cm) wide x 50" (127 cm) circumference. 1.2 oz (34 grams) included.
Body dimensions: 5.5" x 12" x 23" (14 cm x 30 cm x 59 cm)
Volume: 25L main body, 2.5L each side pocket, 8L center pocket, 38 Liters Total
Load Capacity: Recommended up to 20 lbs (9 kg)

Zpacks™ Nero Backpack

Looks nice... a fantastically light pack for those into the ultralight experience.

Either people prefer these types of ultralight packs, or, like myself, an inner frame backpack is worth the extra weight. I've carried packs like this before and I find if filled, especially with "heavy for size gear" ie. say binoculars - not that you'd carry that, but its kinda heavy and a good example. These items shift when moving, and dis balance the pack, or dig in. I personally hate that. So again, my advice to trekkers is to go into a few stores and try whats best for them.

Thanks for balancing out the thread... I'm not too knowledgeable about ultralight packs.

Suggestions are great... gives everybody the chance to explore something new, and learn along the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try then, to get rid of all the things you think you really don't need *, then add about litre of liquid PLUS! Warm clothing for the Pyrenees in April? Find weight add food snacks for full day.
Look for a rucksack that fits you and will take this load. Remember you can use the post to send things home or send things on.
* Sods law says, that the last thing you leave behind, is the second or third thing you need. Enjoy your Camino!

Most airfreighters set 55 cm as maximum for the handluggage. That makes 40-45 litres for the rucksack.
Then it is important to visit a shop to test different models, because it is most important that the unit suits yr torso.
Personal options like pockets (difficult for thieves!), hipbelt, colour etc are up to yr choice.

Does anyone know if a 50L Osprey fit into the overhead compartment of Norwegian Air?
I am using the zipper IKEA blue bag ( an idea I got from this wonderful Camino forum) for travel and protect my pack in case I have to check it in .
SLOChick

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
One feature that I will look for in any future pack is a mesh back/trampoline harness . The Osprey I walked to Finistere in had this and I was constantly grateful for the ventilation it provides . Backs can get really wet through perspiration even in cold weather , once off you feel the cold almost instantly or conversely in Summer the skin on your back can suffer dreadfully .

Does anyone know if a 50L Osprey fit into the overhead compartment of Norwegian Air?
I am using the zipper IKEA blue bag ( an idea I got from this wonderful Camino forum) for travel and protect my pack in case I have to check it in .
SLOChick
Seize and weight depends on type of ticket and destination. Most freighters have 55x40x23 as maximum, it makes 44 litres for the rucksack. At the 'CheckIn-desk' there are boxes, where you can try if yr handluggage fits in seize - or if you have to pay extra (expensive!) and check it in. Weight and IF you also can bring a very tiny bag depends on yr choice of ticket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks nice... a fantastically light pack for those into the ultralight experience.

Either people prefer these types of ultralight packs, or, like myself, an inner frame backpack is worth the extra weight. I've carried packs like this before and I find if filled, especially with "heavy for size gear" ie. say binoculars - not that you'd carry that, but its kinda heavy and a good example. These items shift when moving, and dis balance the pack, or dig in. I personally hate that. So again, my advice to trekkers is to go into a few stores and try whats best for them.

Thanks for balancing out the thread... I'm not too knowledgeable about ultralight packs.

Suggestions are great... gives everybody the chance to explore something new, and learn along the way.

I have used mine for 9 caminos, it has an external frame made of carbon fiber, color orange for road safety, I got the 51L and rarely have gone over half full. Not a tear after all the use and abuse. In some places as I passed other peregrinos they thought I was a local with a day pack, nice and tidy, close to the body but has a space from the pack to the back for air flow. After watching some of the people with packs as heavy as their water I was happy to have mine.
I give it a ten out of ten. ;-)

If you can afford to do so, purchase two or three from REI after finding two or three in the store that you think could work. Give each equal load and walking time to figure out which works best for you. Return the other two within a year.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.