• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacker's rain gear + reading on the trail?

paigehamm

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
I will be on my first Camino September 2013 and have most necessary items minus the rain gear. Any words of wisdom? The first pancho I was thinking of is half the cost of the second so I do want to be smart about my choice. See details below.

Also I want to have a Camino experience and I respect the wisdom of those that have gone before me but I am wondering if I will have a hard time not having books to read. I was considering bringing a Kindle/e-reader. Do you think this is an offensive choice that will lure me out of any possible personal evolution or do you think it might aid in me enjoying more intellectual and creative means of indulgence? Or perhaps another insight?

Equinox Nylon Poncho Rain Gear http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JYRPXK/?tag=casaivar02-20

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Tarp - Poncho http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MXY9U/?tag=casaivar02-203

THANK YOU so much to those that have walked before and continue to provide advice here - you probably have no idea how much I have been blessed by your words.

Buen Camino,
Paige

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carried a Nexus 7 tablet with me on the Camino and religiously (in both senses of the word) read books on the Kindle app. It was an invaluable tool for me and allowed me to download new books as the need arose.

I found that reading on a tablet does not interfere with the Camino experience. If anything, several of the books I read on spirituality enhanced the experience. It was the compulsive desire to check my email or look on FaceBook that was a distraction.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Paige, you could buy a rain-poncho in Spain. The ALTUS is a great choice as it covers you and your pack, has full sleeves, a zipper down the front and Velcro straps so that if you start steaming up you can open the front.
Of course you can read books on the Camino. Take your Kindle if you want to. You'll have plenty of time on the trail for reflection and contemplation and many hours off the trail with nothing much to do.
September is a lovely time to walk the Camino. The flush of spring flowers is over but it is harvest time with lots of festivals taking place. The brambles that grown on the sides of the path will be full of blackberries, the figs, raspberries, late cherries, apples and grapes will all be available. YUM!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Paige,

As Sil notes one popular pilgrim choice for rain gear is an Althus poncho. You can also buy this brand in SJPdP at these two boutiques owned by the same helpful veteran pilgrim; Boutique du Pelerin, 32 rue de La Citadelle and Direction Compostelle, place Floquet. Here is their French web >> http://directioncompostelle.com/directi ... ments.html Search the Forum Equipment topic to see this poncho widely discussed. >> equipment-questions/

Whatever poncho you do choose it is important to make sure that either your pack is waterproof and/or has a separate waterproof cover or that your poncho covers both you and your pack. Ease of putting on the poncho is another consideration. For safety sake and visibility in fog, rain or even snow you might want to consider a bright color such as day-glo yellow or orange.

Some pilgrims do carry Kindles for reading. At home I, too, am a voracious reader, but on every camino have always been too pooped each evening to ever consider trying to read or carrying any extra weight in order to read. However that's another choice for you.

Happy packing and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I'm an avid reader and carried my Kindle with me to read while traveling, before sleep and at odd moments. I saw many others with e-readers. It didn't detract from the Camino experience any more than carrying a paper book, and it was much lighter! Anyway, you should take whatever pleases you, it is YOUR Camino!

Hi Paige
I too begin my Camino in September and I am lucky enough to be able to take the advice of my son who completed his in June. He said his Kindle was the one thing that he wished he'd brought, he met and walked with a wonderful Camino 'family' but there were many times he wished he had something to read. As long as you ca afford the weight, it won't be offensive to others. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino! Sarah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't take books on my first Camino and was glad. I focused on writing in a journal (which I don't do at home). I would not have had enough time at night to do both.

I just finished walking a few days ago and did not bring books this time either. I wish I had. I had more time on the Portuguese way, and every one I walked with had a kindle or something like it. Next Camino I will bring one and download books that will lend them self to the Camino.

I used a Kindle app on my phone. I found it hard to switch my brain off at the end of the day without doing some reading. If you download classics it doesn't even cost anything :)

If you want to read then read. Whatever experience you are going to have will happen just the same. Getting bored occasionally when you've denied yourself a book.isn't enhancing anything.

You could try reading relevant books if you want to keep away from airport fiction. I read Travels in the Cevennes With a Donkey (Robert Louis Stevenson's trek across SW France), Treasure Island and The Man Who Would Be King by Kipling, all books about long journeys.

I wore a rain jacket and used a backpack rain cover on my camino. I would not consider wearing a poncho (I know, the ponchos have more defenders than rain jackets here).
The ponchos were inconvenient to put on and take off - I often helped solo travelers wrap themselves into their ponchos.
Putting them on was especially difficult if you needed to cover up when the wind was starting to whip around. Definitely a two-person job.
They flapped around in the wind and most models did not cover more than my rain jacket did. I assume the more expensive models do a better job but most pilgrims apparently did not have the more expensive models. One person I helped wore a poncho with an elastic belt that kept it from flapping in the wind. However, I had to help him get the belt around himself because that was a two-person job!
As the weather changed, it was easy for me to take my jacket off and put it on as needed, same for the pack cover.
The closer fit made walking through wooded areas easier.
If I needed to get into my pack, it was easy.
The zippered pockets in my rain jacket were very handy.
Again, on my next Camino (of course, there will be a next Camino) I would not consider for a moment using a poncho instead of a rain jacket.
Kathy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I brought my iPad. Although I had books on it, I think I only used it once for reading. Any free time I had was spent writing in my journal. There are occassionally books available at the albergues but most people spend their free time in conversation with other peregrinos, my experience.
The times where there were not many English speaking pilgrims were the only problem times, and they were not really problems.
That being said, I say bring your e-book reader. It's light, handy, and restful when you find yourself laying on your bunk, quietly waiting for siesta time to end.
Don't bring heavy reading - you're on the Camino, not in school.
Kathy

I agree with the disadvantages of a poncho. Either your arms or your legs get wet in heavy rain and if there is a wind they whip around!
That is why I wear the ALTUS which is a raincoat with sleeves, not a poncho. It is easy to put on - like a jacket - but has a hunch so it covers the pack as well. No need for a pack cover. And, they are fairly long so most of your legs are covered.

Here are my friend and I collecting water in Lourdes wearing our raincoats.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,261
I too am doing my first Camino, start walking from Pamplona on 4th Sept. On the topic of E Books, love reading and have a Kindle I use a lot but am leaving it with my luggage, 1 don't want the extra weight and 2 I don't think it will be something I will miss on the Camino, hope I am not making a mistake. Regarding rain wear on my training walks have had a couple of times I have had to use mine and I am really glad I have chosen a rain jacket and rain pants and also have a rain cover for my pack. They worked really well, when I have seen youtube clips of Ponchos with a little wind about you could see them blowing up and the rain going all over the pants and I am sure getting wet or at least damp. My rain jacket breathes and I was really pleased that I was warm, comfortable and lovely and dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The secret to staying dry is ... don't get wet.

I like a poncho for light rain conditions. Its much less of a sweat bath than rain jacket and pants.

I carry both jacket and poncho. When the rain blows sideways a poncho doesn't do much. In Galacia it sometimes rains so hard you need both because of the condensation. A rain jacket is also good as a wind breaker even when it isn't raining.

I wore shorts that dry out quickly so rain pants never got used.

I met a trio of women who wore jeans and got soaked. Once that happens there is no way to get the jeans dry and there is then a risk of hypothermia. Wear gear that dries out quickly.

Get a poncho that is large enough to cover you and pack.

I carried a Kindle. It meant not carrying an armload of books or trying to find books in English. I had a guide in PDF on the Kindle though that didn't work out too well. Spain Lonely Planet was an asset though it was a pain to navigate. I bought a book about knee problems that helped me deal with such. I have a Spanish dictionary and a first aid manual on it. Plus books for reading. Kindle is a great idea and it weighs about that of one pocket book.

I guess if you are looking for religous reflection you could download a bible too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When the rain blows sideways a poncho doesn't do much.
I do not find this to be true for the Altus or Packa, and presumably the Ferrino. Traditional ponchos have side gaps, but a closed and zipped Altus will keep the rain off of everything down to your shins. The visor on the Altus drops over my eyes, but the one on the Packa stays above my forehead. A hat keeps it in place in either.

I am also going in september, and I was planning on picking up an altus poncho when I got to spain. However, i will be starting in Burgos via Madrid (i fly in and out from there). Does anyone know where one can get said altus in either Madrid or Burgos?

Thanks!

Ruth

Base, Deportes Manzanedo
Calle de Francisco Grandmontagne, 26, 09007 Burgos, Spain ‎
+34 947 24 43 51

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
falcon269 said:
The Kindle app for iPhone worked for me, and added no weight.
Great idea but how does the battery hold up?

Great, at least a day. Mostly I turned it off during the day because I was not interested in receiving phone calls. I turned it on for two hours in the afternoon so family could call. The Kindle was just when relaxing. Internet access was mostly WiFi, but I had data service through Vodafone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I'm walking my first camino in september as well. :D

I've been going back and forth when it comes to the rain clothes/poncho dilemma.

At the moment I'm leaning towards rain jacket and pants and a cover for my backpack. Mainly because the jacket can also be used if it's chilly/windy. The pants as well. If I bring a poncho I would still have to bring at least the jacket for when it's cold.

buen camino
/magnus

For any iOS doodad, if you turn off Push and Fetch and lower the screen brightness from the maximum, the battery life is very greatly extended.

EDIT Sorry, pushed Submit too soon. Falcon, do you prefer the Altus or the Packa?

My husband and I began our Camino from Ponferrada beginning May 17th. I had a $3.00 poncho bought from Bass Pro Shop which lasted me until O'Cebreiro where I immediately bought a bright yellow poncho imprinted with the pilgrim shell. This served me most adequately as we only had four days of rain,snow & hail before experiencing the most beautiful spring weather. I was tempted to ditch it. it must have weighted a pound! I didn't though. too many memories attached to it. As for e-readers, don't hesitate to take yours. I have a Nook which was a wonderful thing to take. It does not weigh as much as a book and a lovely way to fall asleep, reading, after a long day of walking. Have the best time of your life. God Bless and Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone had experience with either Nikwax or Granger products for waterproofing clothing? If so, please share your experiences - what did you waterproof and did it work???
Thanks!
Terry (walking end Sept & Oct and anticipating wet weather...)

falcon269 said:
Great, at least a day. Mostly I turned it off during the day because I was not interested in receiving phone calls. I turned it on for two hours in the afternoon so family could call. The Kindle was just when relaxing. Internet access was mostly WiFi, but I had data service through Vodafone.
Thanks Falcon, I'm definitely doing this. You just saved me 232g. Much appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OTH86 said:
Has anyone had experience with either Nikwax or Granger products for waterproofing clothing? If so, please share your experiences - what did you waterproof and did it work???
Thanks!
Terry (walking end Sept & Oct and anticipating wet weather...)
In the past I have used Granger wash in products for re-proofing anoraks and Nikwax for spraying a tent. Both worked well.

If you want the items to remain breathable then check with the store exactly which of the varying versions of either that you buy. Also check whether they need ironing to make them fully proof, or do not need ironing. I think the wash-in needed ironing and the spray on was optional.

We used a Nikwax brand spray (breathable) to reproof the neck of a poncho (ironable) and also shower proof our reversible fleeces (non-iron). The latter only had a very light spraying and it worked well in light rain, we put ponchos on when it was heavier. The water rolled off the poncho again, like when new.

I'm planning on buying an altus when I get to SJPP. I hope that that's the right choice!

I've been oscillating back and forth on whether or not I should bring a book. I read A LOT. I've been thinking that I might bring a Spanish-language novel - it will take me a long time and probably last the whole trip. Ha!

Or I might just bring a children's exercise notebook to use as a journal. I'm thinking that writing might be a better use of my (limited) free time on the camino than reading.

I look forward to reading the rest of the replies to this thread!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
magnus72 said:
Hi,
I'm walking my first camino in september as well. :D

I've been going back and forth when it comes to the rain clothes/poncho dilemma.

At the moment I'm leaning towards rain jacket and pants and a cover for my backpack. Mainly because the jacket can also be used if it's chilly/windy. The pants as well. If I bring a poncho I would still have to bring at least the jacket for when it's cold.

buen camino
/magnus

The big problem with rain pants is getting them on and off. Its pretty rare to need them all day so they must needs go on and off whenever its raining. I wore shorts that dry quickly and gaiters. I didn't use my rain pants and mailed them home from Santiago before continuing to Finisterre. It didn't really start raining hard until I finished ... though the rains apparently came late last year so maybe I got lucky.

The big deal is about retaining heat and you don't lose much through your legs. The other issue is trying to keep water out of footwear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would go with eano's number; my recollection of weighing it is that it was just under a pound.

Gear is personal choice. I was fine with my REI pack rain cover and my REI rain parka. I stayed dry with no problems. My girlfriend eventually bought one of the Camino ponchos that covers backpack and person with a little extra length, and she still complained of moisture build-up. I myself am not a poncho wearing type of adventurer.

As for books, I brought the John Brierly guide to the Camino de Santiago and Paolo Coehlo's, "The Pilgrimage," about his walk of the Camino de Santiago many years ago.

For technology, all I brought was a little Coolpix camera. I wanted no technology. My pack weighed in at 15 kilos when arriving at Saint Jean Pied de Port, and 9 kilos when getting on that plane leaving Santiago. I intentionally wanted no technology. So, when I saw people with their Ipads, Pods, Rods, Cods, and Shods, and whatever that made noise or light in the night...I often wondered why they are even walking the Camino. They could have just stayed home and put up a tent in their living room made of sheets like when they were a kid and watched Martin Sheen in the movie, "The Way."

But, I realize everyone walks their "own" Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My two cents,
Leave most technology behind and go build valuable lifetime friendship, socialize. Forget the poncho and the rain pants. A good light rain jacket, I used Exofficio's Storm and it was perfect and your legs dry quicker than any fabric ever will. Spray your shoes with camp dry, I didn't use anything to protect my feet from water, but I always walked in long pants that were very light and repelled water (Mountain Hardware Anconda), never had wet feet. Absolutely, loved those pants. I washed them every day and wore them while hiking, they have an adjustable belt and dip zippered pockets. Did I mention zippered pockets, yes, very valuable for my little wallet, my ziplocked iPhone/camara, and in most days my Brierley guide. My other most valuable piece of clothing was my travel vest, as long as my torso is warm I can conquer the world! I also took the rain cover for my backpack.
Buen Camino Peregrina - You'll have the time of your life.
God be with you,
Ive

We are poncho and rain-trouser folks, but our actual trek trousers will repel a light shower. I lightly sprayed the smooth liner of our reversible fleeces which made them shower proof too. Backpack has its own raincover in a storage pocket. Our boots are full grain leather, re-proofed with Renapur before we leave home and Terry carries a sponge well rubbed in it for redoing on the Camino, plus a small amount in a mini pot. Tilley hats - shower proof.

Reading:- our CSJ guide book, our Bible verses for each day. Also some guides to local places of interest - either read and discarded or, if we really want to keep them, accumulated for a time and posted home.

I just bought one of the new Altus ponchos from Barrabes. The weight for mine, size medium, is given as 300 g.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My heart is so open for this trip and an example of this is that while reading your responses, I was filled with emotion about how kind and thoughtful you all are to dedicate your time to helping me have the most valuable Camino I can have.

That being said - I made some decisions and wanted to share and thank you!

I bought an Altus pancho (after much deliberation) and an e-reader but am only downloading books about journeys as one of you recommended. I have a lot to contemplate but can also live in my head and think some inspirational reading might be a good option. I will not have a phone or access to email on the ereader so I feel like I can stay pretty clear headed plus I do have a tendency to try to impress others by living life as simply as possible (something very valued where I live). And though I wholeheartedly believe in the benefits of a simple life and a simple Camino, a disingenuous motive can diminish the results.

I am filled with such tremendous excitement and can't recall a time I felt this sort of anticipation. I love how open I am and how preparing for this trip has inspired me to connect with friends and celebrate their influence on my decision.

Buen Camino!
Paige :D

eano said:
Just weighed my S/M Altus. 426 grams without the pouch cover.
Altus poncho impermeable L/XL Atmospheric - DRY !!!! - 450 grs. :wink:
It's an excellent product. Whether it is essential depends upon the climate(s) through which it has likely to be carried. Weight vs. convenience :?

Hi Paige!
What I really missed on my first two caminos was hearing the English language, watching the news on TV in English, and taking enough books to read. I bought a reconditioned Kindle, loaded many classical and religious books on it, and enjoyed reading when all my chores were done in the evenings!
The fully charged Kindle is supposed to be OK for a VERY long time. I took the charging lead, but never used it.
So my advice would be - "Go for it!".
It may even enhance your pilgrimage ...
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've regretted many times the extra weight my rain pants were contributing to my pack. They were difficult to get on quickly as rain was starting up, and then they would need to come off as the rain let up, or I would be overheating. Now I just go with quick dry pants and let them get wet. If you're walking, cold legs don't really affect overall comfort, at least for me. I prefer a hardshell jacket to a poncho. The hardshell jacket does double duty as a rain jacket and a layer of warmth for when it is colder and not raining. I also think it is unrealistic to expect any rain gear to keep you completely dry. Over time any fabric will saturate and become damp on the inside or perspiration will build up on the inside, despite claims to the contrary by Gortex and others. However, with a hard shell jacket, even if wet inside, you won't be cold, because it is windproof and still traps heat. I double protect my pack with everything in ziploc bags inside and a pack cover outside. I've been reading the raves about Altus ponchos, but even if they were perfect, I can't imagine devoting almost a pound of weight to rain protection. That is a big price to pay.

Tom

They only had lime green in June! You might want to preorder one in a regular color, or wait until Pamplona.
I bought a sweat band for a walk with my family. They only had bright pink. The kids laughed each time they looked at me, and teased me unmercifully - but the perspiration didn't run in my eyes! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Paige: good choice on the Altus. This past spring, we had to use raingear extensively. Highly recommend practice at home in putting it on. This is a no-fail solution:Turn and face into the wind which will be present with the rain - even a gentle breeze will suffice. Put on the poncho by waving it over your head so the wind catches it like a parachute behind you. Then you can quickly and easily slide in your arms. Turn away from the wind and zip and secure the Velcro locks. You will be warm and dry. Buen Camino.

Thank you for the advice! I will be sure to try that. Leaving next Saturday. Getting excited and oddly anxious.

Haha Stephen, I actually was excited since lime green is my favorite color. Also with 2/3 outfits geared to hiking, I decided to pick some fun colors in my shirts. So I think the pink would just make everyone smile. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I were hiking in the summer, my choice would be a poncho because of it's weight and the few time's I'd be using it would outweigh the disadvantages. Hiking in September and October last year I was very happy to have a brightly colored backpack cover and a lightweight Patagonia rain jacket and NorthFace rain (ski) pants. The black jacket and pants served to keep me dry, provided extra layers of warmth when needed and I could use them in the evening to go out while everything else is in the washer. They can be cleaned and dried quickly and allowed me to back off on the weight of bringing an extra pair of pant. Having the jacket, all I needed to bring was a very lightweight fleece in stead of something heavier. I just layered up when being snowed on at Cruz de Ferro. The UA teeshirt, long sleeve hiking shirt, fleece and rain jacket worked great. The only downside is what the previous poster mentioned, the backpack straps and back support area can get wet so you might want to bring a few garbage bags to keep the contents dry (I don't though, I use large zip locks that make it very easy to find things, to pack and unpack.)

I used an Altus but would recommend treating it with a rain jacket wax, like Nikiwax. It definitely helped and worked like a charm. You can buy them in SJPP (if that's where you're starting) but you will pay a premium. Regarding books and eReaders, I read so much on the Camino, all on the Samsung Galaxy S3 - it's really easy to read from. I used my phone as camera, for calling and skyping and books. If you love reading, take something along... There's plenty of time for it all.

Hi Paige and others. I have had bad/poor experiences with various types of ponchos so now have a variety of rain or shower proof jackets. The one I took back in May comes with its one pack-pouch and was not much larger than two hands joined together. (I will post the name later). I also took rain overpants but did not use them. My backpack has an excellent rain cover so I did not have to worry about the contents getting wet.
I also have a Nexus 7 " tablet which I loaded with a number of relevant books - some about the Camino, others just general reading. Even if you speak good Spanish you will have days/afternoons/nights when you want some time alone and reading helps (after you have written your daily diary notes). Buen Camino :):)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back