• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks as airplane carry-ons

lessilb

Hi

We are planning our Camino Frances walk for May 2013. We've been reading Cheri Powell's book (Seven tips ....) and she states that you have to check your backpacks on the airplane. Assuming that there is nothing in the backpack that cannot go on the plane as a carry-on including trekking poles, has anyone had trouble bringing the pack on the plane? We've never had trouble with smaller daypacks. Anyone have problems with a 40L or larger pack?

lessilb

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
40 liters is big for carry-on. My issue is always my Swiss Army knife, and any other pointed objects. It's just easier to check it in as baggage. The most important thing is to wear your hiking boots. You can replace anything else the airline loses, but you can't replace broken in shoes.

I use an aging Mountainsmith Ghost backpack that I love dearly. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mounta ... 2/reviews/ Now discontinued, unfortunately, so I keep patching it together. Its capacity is 49 liters, its dimensions are 6" x 26" x 16". I have carried it onto the plane headed to and from the camino every year since 2000. Never any problem on any plane or any airlines, it even fits fine into the overhead bin of those small regional jets. I should note that I never pack this to its full capacity so it never reaches its full 6", but that dimension is unlikely to be a problem.

There have been other threads on this topic recently, and I've self-identified as one of those who would never check my backpack. I've had too many instances of delayed baggage to want to take that risk.

Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have regularly used the original Kathmandu Cane Toad as a carry on. It is notionally a 38li pack, but with harness, occupies more than 40li. I have only had it weighed once, and had to remove a camera bag to get it past the check in on that occasion. Otherwise, there have been no problems with it.

From memory, the largest carry on is about 42li, provided it fits within some other dimension rules, but this doesn't apply to all airlines. Some have a lower carry on limit, either as a general rule, or for specific aircraft. These are normally the smaller aircraft in their fleets, with less overhead locker space. You would need to check with the airline(s) you are travelling on about specifics.

Many airlines don't enforce their own carry on rules. Whenever I have flown with Ryanair, there have always been oversized cabin bags that don't fit into the overhead lockers.

Regards,

dougfitz said:
.... Whenever I have flown with Ryanair, there have always been oversized cabin bags that don't fit into the overhead lockers.

Doug,

I leave Monday for Madrid, and I'm just now trying to decide whether to pay Ryanair in advance & check my backpack & poles, or not, on my return from SdC. I've got a Gregory 55-L, well under-filled, & with its rain cover on, it appears to meet their measurements (its length from top is about 20"). The poles are another issue b/c telescoped in, they still stick out about 3" (they're Pacers). So I'm curious about your experience with Ryanair & seeing oversized bags inside the cabin. Do people shove those under their feet or what?

And absolving you of all responsibility for the consequences of an answer :) , would I be better off just paying the checked-bag fee now?

~Meredith

I have a Gregory 55L and have always carried it on. I simply put my pack cover on it and a strap to help hold it. It actually looks much like a medium/small duffle bag. The pack cover keeps it some secure should you run into someone who forces you to check. Never happened to me and can't understand why it would. It meets size requirments.
I carry my sticks in a tube inside my pack ready to be checked if needed...never happened yet.
That way I am only at risk of my sticks not showing up instead of my whole kit.
The same could be done with other items that can't be checked like the knife. You could check it and only be at risk of that item.
I don't want to risk my kit not making connections or not arriving at all.

I would also suggest that if your pack is too big for carry on...you probably have too much and could very well have a bigger problem when you start walking. 8)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have managed to take my pack as carry-on on the Europe-bound leg every trip so far: Osprey Kestrel 48, Kestrel 38, and Exos 46. I disassemble my Pacer Poles and wrap them, along with the knife and scissors, for checking. So far, no problems - flying variously British Air, Air France, and Lufthansa. I carry a small collapsible daypack from Sea-to-Summit (collapses to goose-egg size) on every trip, for grocery shopping etc etc while walking. This small pack is my "purse" when flying: holds the travel documents, water bottle, snacks, etc.

Kitsambler said:
...I disassemble my Pacer Poles and wrap them, along with the knife and scissors, for checking. ...

When you say "disassemble" your Pacers, I take it you mean something more than telescoping them down to their minimum length. How do you disassemble them to make them fit inside your bag? And have TSA folk never challenged you on bringing on board something that could be used to bludgeon someone (the reason an agent by phone told me I couldn't bring mine).

I know the most important thing about my Camino is not these housekeeping details. Just trying to tie up loose ends. And walking poles. :)

Meredith1 said:
How do you disassemble (your Pacers) to make them fit inside your bag? And have TSA folk never challenged you on bringing on board something that could be used to bludgeon someone (the reason an agent by phone told me I couldn't bring mine).

Pacers are disassembled by reversing the telescoping process: loosen the connections, then slide the segments apart (rather than pushing them together). This allows a shorter overall length.

Kitsambler said:
I disassemble my Pacer Poles and wrap them, along with the knife and scissors, for checking.
Checking, as in, checking baggage. I have not brought Pacers or sharps into the cabin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Checking, as in, checking baggage. I have not brought Pacers or sharps into the cabin.

I'm still amazed at all the other posters that have not had a problem.

Perhaps I look untrustworthy, but airport security always goes through my stuff very thoroughly, and after a few unfortunate incidents, I now fly with the absolute minimun as carry on.

I've only had luggage go missing once, (fortunately on my return trip), and it was delivered within 24 hours.

I always take my backpack on as cabin baggage. It is only 30L though so well within the size limits. The poles, knife and safety pins go in a tube that is checked in.

I wouldn't send anything through check-in if there was a cost involved as poles and knives are very inexpensive to buy in Spain. Most of time, you don't even need to buy a pole as Nature is very generous in providing them in various sizes.

With Ryanair, backpacks are usually not a problem.
If you take a knife, they will probably take it out of the pack, and measure the longest blade. If it's less than a certain size [? 3 inches?] it's OK. If not, it will be confiscated.
The walking poles are a different issue. Ryanair refused to let me take mine in May [even though I was blistered and needed them to help me walk.] They insisted on taking them in the hold, for which there was NO charge. Just as well, because they never turned up at Stansted Airport :(
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have never tried to carry-on trekking poles - I have always put them in my checked bag. There are mixed messages on the forum about this, and some people have been able to carry them on, but I am not sure that I would try it myself.

The formal position is that the airlines and security screening staff apply regulations set by the various aviation safety bodies, which don't allow poles as carry-on items.

That said, at worst, you could have them confiscated and have to buy a set on arrival, but of course, they won't be Pacer poles :cry:

Thanks, all, for the helpful replies. Will check my poles in a tube going and returning, and keep my fingers crossed.

As you prefaced, if there is nothing "prohibited" in your backpack you can certainly take as carry-on. Never had a problem myself and every time I fly there are lots of people on the flight with backpacks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This maybe a reduntant comment, but why would you make it harder on TSA or any other security agency whose purpose is to insure your safety. I worked in the airline industry and was at JFK on 9/11/01 working for American Airlines. It makes no sense to try to get things past security (sometimes succeeding) distracting them from seeing the real dangers to all of us.

I spoke with the TSA supervisor at San Diego Intl Airport and the poles and the knives are just not acceptable. Look at the actual stats and you can be assurred that your bag will arrive with you, but I agree that the only thing you can't replace is your broken in boots. I carry my Eagle Creek 22inch bag on most flights when I travel but it did feel very carefree to go through security with with just inflight essentials for a change. The total dimentions for carryon bags on most airlines are 62 inches (h-d-w) and a weight of less than 40 lbs. It must fit in the airport sizers so go to the airport if possible with your packs fully loaded and try them in the sizers.

Some people have suggested getting a shipping tube and sending the items that should not go through security as checked baggage. Make sure it substantial and has your name and contact info inside and outside (destination info or European phone number or email address). If you attempt to carryon items that need to be confiscated by TSA you might not have sufficient time to check them in because of bag closeout times. They need to travel on the same flight as you because of security reasons. Go with the spirit of the Camino and trust that the people that will take you in an aluminum aircraft at 40,000 ft over the pond will manage your checked baggage.
Bkly

bklyntraveller

Beautiful, thanks.
A drop of sensibility in a sea of confusion.

Just a few comments in case some things have been misunderstood. I don't think anyone is talking about trying to "get things past security." I've read a lot of these threads on bringing things onto airplanes over the years here, and no one has ever suggested tring to get a knife through security. Many do suggest trying to bring on hiking poles, but that is because the TSA regulations are ambiguous. The actual wording of the federal agency regulation is that "ski poles" are prohibited but "walking aids" are permitted. Hiking poles are not mentioned, so it will depend on whether the agent thinks they are more like ski poles or more like walking aids. And since it's up to the discretion of the individual agents, that guarantees that people's experiences will be inconsistent across the country.

I was one of those who used to check hiking poles in a tube. On my 2010 camino, the poles never arrived in Madrid. Fortunately I had just enough time to get to an outdoor store to buy new ones before my train left for Sevilla, but it was hectic and not a fun way to start. On the last two years, I have taken apart my Leki poles, left rubber tips on the bottom and strapped them to my backpack or put them in a bag. I've been able to bring them through. I get to the airport early enough so that if the agent refuses, I can check them. I really don't think it has anything to do with the spirit of the Camino or anything other than the fact that I would prefer to avoid having to run around to replace lost or delayed items.

Buen camino, Laurie

bklyntraveller

Take a good look at Laurie's post above.
No one has ever suggested trying to confuse the TSA.
The poles are allowed in some airports and not in others (on certain days).
We have suggested that the poles be disassembled and rubber tips be installed on ends of sticks.
The poles can then be put in a shipping tube (adequate for check in if necessary) and put in pack.
Thus...if the TSA agent on duty the moment you go through decides it must be checked...you can easily check it.

grayland said:
bklyntraveller

Take a good look at Laurie's post above.
No one has ever suggested trying to confuse the TSA.
The poles are allowed in some airports and not in others (on certain days).
We have suggested that the poles be disassembled and rubber tips be installed on ends of sticks.
The poles can then be put in a shipping tube (adequate for check in if necessary) and put in pack.
Thus...if the TSA agent on duty the moment you go through decides it must be checked...you can easily check it.

The following bunff is aimed at the enlightenment of such as myself and other non-American peregrinos, bemused by references to 'TSA' , and too polite to expose their ignorance by enquiring .

TSA__ is the Transportation Security Administration , and is an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that exercises authority over the security of the traveling public in the United States

For those desperate to know more __ see___
http://www.tsa.gov/
soch

Nice point, soch. Sorry about that.

In the spirit of completing your enlightenment, you should take a look at the TSA regulations for carry-ons. I think the government has taken a familiar, but not completely successful, way to deal with a threat -- they have tried to write these regulations to remove all human discretion from the equation, but of course they will never be able to anticipate all future circumstances. The agency always could decide to amend the regulations to tell us once and for all whether hiking poles are allowed, but they haven't done that, so we remain subject to inconsistencies and individual variations.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Interpret ... ghters.pdf

And of course, even if we knew what TSA thought about hiking poles, there are still potential problems in other countries as we make connections to get to the Camino. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone know if you can buy a tube for checking your poles in Santiago or at the Santiago airport? I have no problem finding one on my way to the Camino, but will dispose of it before setting out on my walk.

Hi, brenfinds,

I have bought a sturdy cardboard tube in Santiago, but I just can't remember exactly where ithe store was. It was several years ago, when I regularly used that method to get my poles back and forth. I know that I found a place selling art and architecture materials. I'll have to search my journals to see if by any chance I wrote down the name.

One thing I have done a few times, and this may be too silly for you to consider, was to take my heavy tube on arrival in Spain, stuff some clothes that I would wear in Santiago and beyond into it, and send the tube up to my hotel in Santiago. I've always found that hotels in Santiago are happy to hold stuff for incoming gueses, even if it's more than a month away. Then upon arrival, I was able to just re-use the tube for checking my poles on the way home.

Buen camino, Laurie

On the Spot: Walking stick won't be flying in carry-on baggage
It's on the TSA no-no list, but it may fit in checked bags, or hikers can buy a stick in their destination country.

January 15, 2012, Los Angeles Times

Question: My husband and I are planning a walking holiday in Ireland along the Dingle Way. Are we permitted to bring our hiking poles as carry-on items along with our day packs on our flights, or must they be checked? If they are to be checked, any recommendations on how best to package them?Answer: You'll find an amazingly long list of things you cannot take on a plane as carry-on at the Transportation Security Administration's website, http://www.tsa.gov (click on "Prohibited Items"). Some never-ever items are just common sense — loaded guns, for instance, although Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican from San Bernardino, recently tried to get on a flight to Sacramento with a .45-caliber handgun and ammo. (An "unfortunate mistake," he said later.)

Other items may surprise you as carry-on no-can-do's: gel shoe inserts, gel candles and snow globes. Oh, and don't forget drills and drill bits for all of you do-it-yourselfers who just can't leave them at home.

A hiking pole also is a nonstarter as a carry-on. A regular cane, when used as an assistive device, is OK, but "hiking sticks, like ski poles, are not permitted," said Nico Melendez, a TSA rep.

They are fine as checked baggage, Melendez notes. Brown's stick collapses to 28 inches so she may be able to fit it in her luggage if her luggage is large enough. (Some wheeled duffels measure as much as 29 inches long and could accommodate a stick.) Otherwise, the pole will have to be packaged according to the airline's specifications for sporting equipment. Best to check with the individual airline because policies may differ. Note, too, that if you check the stick, you may be stuck with extra baggage fees.

My suggestion would be to leave the stick at home and buy one at your destination. James Byrne of Hillwalk, Ireland (http://www.hillwalkireland.com), which arranges self-guided tours, told me that the Mountain Man Outdoor Shop (http://www.themountainmanshop.com) on Strand Street in Dingle "stocks a range of high-quality hiking sticks" from $38-$55. They're made by Mountain King (http://www.mountainking.co.uk), "a reputed hiking outfitter on this side of the Atlantic," Byrne said. That way, you worry about transporting your stick only one way. Plus you have a nice souvenir from the trip.

But hold the phone, friends. By suggesting this, I may be taking a walk on the riled side. An avid hiker tells me that some poles have gone uptown and that some hikers have quite an investment in them. "There has been an explosion of upscale hiking poles ($100 and up) that collapse, are made of titanium, have external or internal fittings, etc.," said Mary Forgione, an avid outdoorswoman who worked on the staff of the Times Outdoors section and now is the daily Travel and Deals blogger for latimes.com/traveldeals. "Gone are the carefully culled tree limbs of yore you would find along the trail…I favor Leki and Black Diamond with external fittings."

But why? "They really, really do save wear and tear on your knees — whether you're 20 or 80," said Forgione, who is somewhere between 20 and 80.On the Spot: Walking stick won't be flying in carry-on baggage.
The TSA rules in the U.S. may not apply elsewhere, but for those departing from the U.S., you probably should plan to check poles.

My method for transporting poles to and from : Purchased a $5 large (size of pillowcase) heavy fabric drawstring bag,(WallMart in the camping section)wrapped my telescoping poles and pocket knife in my sleeping bag, stuffed it in the bag, added tag with vital info and checked it on. Both directions it arrived safe and sound. Folded it up(folded down to the size of a wallet),put a rubberband around it and put it in the bottom of my pack. It resurfaced when the terrain was too much for me or I just was too exhausted- I put non essential stuff (only kept rain gear,water .camera ,phone medication and snacks in my pack :) in the "red Bag" and sent it ahead via pack-transport so I always had my pack !! Those of you who walked this April and May probably saw my "red bag" at a few alberques -sitting in a corner waiting for me :D As I write, the "red bag" is back on the Camino- my two sisters are walking and so far have just used it for transporting poles, but it is tucked into a little corner of a pack- just in case !

From TSA in response to a question:
Thank you for your e-mail about traveling with sporting/hobby equipment.

Certain sporting and hobby equipment cannot be brought on-board an aircraft. For example, baseball bats, bows and arrows, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, hiking poles/sticks, and spear guns are prohibited and not allowed as carry-on items.

Although these items are prohibited from carry-on baggage, they may be transported in checked baggage. Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners. Currently, ice skates, roller skates, skateboards, tennis racquets, and electronic hobby equipment (such as coin-detecting devices) are permitted as carry-on items and are required to undergo x-ray screening.

Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) have the discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if they believe the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items into the sterile area of the airport. TSA recommends that passengers place any questionable sporting equipment in their checked baggage.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, http://www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Travelers can go directly to these tips at http://www.TSATravelTips.us.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center
It is applicable to U.S. airports only.

falcon269 said:
It is applicable to U.S. airports only.
I have previously pointed out that there are regulations banning hiking poles as cabin baggage in the EU and elsewhere. The advice falcon269 might be from the TSA, but the same restriction applies to Europe and other places around the world.

Regards

I apologize if this is getting totally boring to the vast majority, but I have a professional interest in government regulation and find the topic pretty fascinating. The letter posted by Falcon from the TSA about sporting equipment said the following:

"baseball bats, bows and arrows, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, hiking poles/sticks, and spear guns are prohibited and not allowed as carry-on items."

I was surprised to find that of all of those items, hiking poles are the only ones NOT specifically listed on the list of prohibited items in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations). That explains why people have such different experiences with hiking poles but not with bows and arrows or spear guns. Though the TSA representatives Falcon quotes may say that they think that hiking poles are prohibited, and though many individual TSA representatives may agree with them, there is nothing in the regulations that requires that determination. That means that the TSA agent can make up his or her own mind about hiking poles depending on the circumstances. I don't challenge the individual agent's power to make the decision either way, just want to note that it's not like you're trying to violate some federal rules if you try to bring the sticks on.

Until the Department of Homeland Security decides to ban hiking poles explicitly in their regulations, I will continue to try to carry them on and hope that my streak of luck continues, always with a Plan B to check them if necessary.

Ok, I'll try to resist further comment, unless someone wants me to talk about the difference between the arbitrary and capricious standard and substantial evidence standard. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Items permitted in aircraft cabins:

Pets (if permitted by airline check with airline for procedures)
Walking canes and umbrellas (once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed)
Nail clippers with nail files attached
Nail files
Tweezers
Safety razors (including disposable razors)
Syringes (with medication and professionally printed label identifying medication or manufacturer's name)
Insulin delivery systems
Eyelash curlers

Items prohibited from aircraft cabins:

The following items will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. In addition to items specifically listed here other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat may also be prohibited.

Ammunition
Automatic weapons
Axes
Baseball bats
BB guns
Billy clubs
Blackjacks
Blasting caps
Bows and arrows
Box cutters
Brass knuckles
Bull whips
Cattle prods
Compressed air guns
Corkscrews
Cricket bats
Crow bars
Disabling chemicals or gases
Dog repellent spray
Dynamite
Fire extinguishers
Flare pistols
Golf clubs
Gun lighters
Gunpowder
Hammers
Hand grenades
Hatchets
Hockey sticks
Hunting knives
Ice axe/Ice pick
Knives (any length)
Kubatons
Large heavy tools (such as wrenches pliers etc.)
Mace
Martial arts devices
Meat cleavers
Metal scissors with pointed tips
Numchucks
Pellet guns
Pen knives
Pepper spray
Pistols
Plastic explosives
Pool cues
Portable power drills
Portable power saws
Razor blades (not in a cartridge)
Religious knives
Replica weapons
Revolvers
Rifles
Road flares
SCUBA knives
Sabers
Screwdrivers
Shot guns
Ski poles
Spear guns
Starter pistols
Straight razors
Stun guns/shocking devices
Swords
Tear gas
Throwing stars
Toy transformer robots (this toy forms a toy gun)
Toy weapons
Without getting all lawyerly, items most similar to trekking poles are: 1) walking cane, 2) ski pole, 3) pool cue, 4) golf club, 5) hockey stick. Since we all know the difference between a walking cane and pointed trekking poles, I would not expect TSA to categorize them as a cane. Again, these are U.S. regulations. [TSA 7-02, April 30 2002; subject to future revision]

I have never tried to sneak anything past the TSA, but have had the following experiences: I have flown successfully carrying on my pack with my poles collapsed either inside my pack or disassembled in the outside pocket but secured with cable ties. They obviously go through the xray machine, so are visible to the screeners. They were also screened in Madrid and passed. I have twice been refused at Santiago on the way home, so just plan to check in the pack at that airport (they probably see more poles than any other airport anywhere). I do carry a nylon pole bag in case I need to check them on the way to Spain, so I would not have to check the whole pack. I have also been passed with gel insoles in my shoes, though I carried ordinary insoles just in case. I think it really depends on the interpretation of regulations at any particular airport, and maybe on the individual screeners. I do miss taking my bull whip and sabre, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
peregrina2000 said:
Ok, I'll try to resist further comment, unless someone wants me to talk about the difference between the arbitrary and capricious standard and substantial evidence standard. :)
I cannot wait :)

Here is the link I have previously provided to the UK equivalent to the TSA rules.
See, for example, http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922 which specifically lists walking poles as a prohibited item in cabin baggage.
It is quite specific about walking/hiking poles not being allowed as hand baggage.

Regards

I'm not sure I appreciate the difference in danger between trekking poles and a walking cane (can be used to strike someone) or umbrella (has pointed end just like trekking poles and which poses a similar level of threat). I do believe that some of the distinctions are aribtrary and capricious. I think what we have is largely security theater rather than actual security.

But I'm not going to take the chance. I will check my poles rather than engage in any kind of argument about them. Other than perhaps having to wait a few minutes for them to be loaded off the plane, it's certainly not an inconvenience worth risking their confiscation for. (Sorry about my sentence structure.)

DanaRuns said:
I'm not sure I appreciate the difference in danger between trekking poles and a walking cane (can be used to strike someone) or umbrella (has pointed end just like trekking poles and which poses a similar level of threat).
Nor do some security officers at various airports. :cry: Out of 10 flights (intercontinental and in Spain), on only 1 occasion did a security officer (in Spain) refuse to let us take the walking cane on board. Never had a problem with our umbrella (and a BIG one to that :!: )
We go prepared for the possibility to return to a check-in counter, just in case.... :mrgreen:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, :)

Has anyone used Vueling airline? I found a good price on a Santiago to Paris after my Camino (perfect day, perfect time) and I'm wondering if I should pay in advance for baggage hold. Their website says they are very strict with carry-on rules. I have an Osprey Kestrel 38L, it's packed full and weighs 15lbs. I will take some items out (jacket, ect) and put in my carry-on tote (purse), this will get the dimensions down so I can carry-on going to Europe and back.

Thanks for any help,
Angela

Hi Angela,
It is impossible, in my travel experience, to give an objective answer to the carry-on rules on airlines because of the subjective way the rules are interpreted in different countries by different persons, and also by who is supposed to police the rules. I traveled on Vueling from Heathrow to La Coruna and upon check-in was asked by the counter person to have my backpack weighed as I had no baggage to check into the hold. It was just below the weight limit, I had weighed it carefully beforehand to avoid any last minute drama. Imagine my pleasant surprise when she asked me if I wished to check it into the hold, I asked how much I would have to pay having been pinged for an exorbitant amount for last minute luggage check-ins with other LCC's. She said its FREE. I did not believe my ears and asked her to repeat it again. She said sure its FREE! I declined reluctantly having spent so much effort to get it right, so she gave me the carryon label sticker.

On my way back I flew by Ryan Air from Santiago to Stanstead, I had an internet boarding pass printed beforehand. I waited in the long queue and upon finally reaching the checkin counter was told that as I had no luggage to check in I could leave the queue and go straight to the Ryan Air office opposite the check-in counters. I went to the Ryan air office and as I was one of the two passengers there in a few minutes had my boarding pass validated and travel documents checked, then told to go to the boarding area. Nary a glance at my bag nor were there any facilities to check the weight at the office.

There were no strict checks on hand carryons during the boarding at Santiago due to the quick turnround of Ryanair, more passengers carried two pieces of cabin bags than those with one and the cabin crew were quite helpful in finding a place for the second bag. One never knows what to expect so to save the last minute dramas just stay within the rules.

Attachments

• 1-20130717_165746.jpg
    1-20130717_165746.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 25
Hi

We are planning our Camino Frances walk for May 2013. We've been reading Cheri Powell's book (Seven tips ....) and she states that you have to check your backpacks on the airplane. Assuming that there is nothing in the backpack that cannot go on the plane as a carry-on including trekking poles, has anyone had trouble bringing the pack on the plane? We've never had trouble with smaller daypacks. Anyone have problems with a 40L or larger pack?

lessilb
Hi, I have taken my packs as carry on luggage about 6 or 7 times from NZ to Europe and back with a range of airlines and never had a problem. The packs ranged from 30 to 36 ltrs and weighed just under 7 kg max. Usually I check the poles in as fragile luggage, but this time I am taking the Black Diamond Z Poles which are light and fold up small onto the plane in my pack. I have wrapped them up and labelled them, just in case they insist that I have to check them in after all.

Hi, :)

Has anyone used Vueling airline? I found a good price on a Santiago to Paris after my Camino (perfect day, perfect time) and I'm wondering if I should pay in advance for baggage hold. Their website says they are very strict with carry-on rules. I have an Osprey Kestrel 38L, it's packed full and weighs 15lbs. I will take some items out (jacket, ect) and put in my carry-on tote (purse), this will get the dimensions down so I can carry-on going to Europe and back.

Thanks for any help,
Angela

Angela,

I flew with my wife and kids on the Vueling flight from SdC to Paris three weeks ago. Both of my kids carried on their 38L Osprey Kestrels and had no problems.

Rob

Hi

lessilb

Let me preface this by saying that I have not yet walked the Camino. I am planning to walk with a friend next year. That said, I have traveled internationally and I try to pack light (not yet as light as I would like nor nearly as light as I plan to be for the Camino). I just returned from a trip to Bolivia, 9 flights in all, with a small group. Only on one occasion did we have to check our bags (we eached traveled with a carry-on size suitcase and a 'personal' bag). For the one gentleman, the 'personal' bag was a little bigger than the pack that I plan to carry on the Camino. His backpack did NOT need to be checked.

Now, as an entirely different matter, I read Cheri Powell's book, Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago. I don't know how helpful you are finding it, but after reading it, I was disappointed that I opted to purchase the Kindle version that I cannot donate to someone who might find it more useful than I did. I didn't care for the writing style at all, the packing list is not particularly helpful (i.e., things to leave at home: hair dryer), the tips seemed to be primarily common-sense, and nothing seemed particularly insightful so as to help "mak[e] the most of the Camino de Santiago."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Put your pack, poles and other stuff in a cheap duffle bag and check it at the airline counter. This protects your gear from damage and you have everything in one place. You can either leave it at a hotel or hostel at your starting point for retrieval on return ( if this case you can also pack an extra change of travelling clothes, shoes etc), or simply abandon the duffle bag and get another one for the return flight. Makes it all a whole lot easier for yourself and the airlines. I am leaving my duffle bag at the place I am staying at before I start in Sept. ( they have agreed to keep it no charge), and I did the same in 2009. Its nice to have a complete change of clothes for travelling home.

If you fly on commuter jets within (AirEuropa)Europe, the overhead compartments are really small, they had me check in my backpack for free instead of gate checking it, when the shuttle brought us from the gate to the plane, they had everybody else check their carryon bags on the spot and brought them to baggage claim for us when we arrived in Bilbao.

If I leave my poles in at home, does anyone know where I can buy ones in Madrid when I arrive?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I flew Ryanair Santiago to London in June this year. They love the opportunity to make extra money, so in the departure lounge they measured very strictly the carry-on baggage of every passenger just before we boarded. All bags passed the test except one, and the passenger was most upset to have to fork out 60 euros. Every centimetre counts.
Regarding 'sharps' (eg knives, scissors etc), it is the job of security to screen for these and to take appropriate action, not the airline although of course they cooperate

If I leave my poles in at home, does anyone know where I can buy ones in Madrid when I arrive?

I know the answer to this question because the airlines once lost my poles on the way over and I had to buy new ones (which is why I have, for the last few years, carried on my hiking poles from the US, but I digress).

There is a good, but small hiking/outdoor store called Barrabes, with two Madrid locations. One near the Castellana on Calle Ourense and the other on Calle O'Donnell. The O'Donnell store is closer to Atocha train station and the Ourense one is closer to Chamartin train station, so it depends on where you are going from Madrid. Their website is here: http://www.barrabes.com/int/home.asp

Getting from the airport to either store is fairly straightforward and people here can help you figure that out if you're not familiar with public transportation in Madrid. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks so much Laurie. So no one stopped you from bringing your poles onboard? I bought a pair of Black Diamond Z poles that fold up really small and fit in my bag, so hoping I don't get stopped with them.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Heitgl
You can buy poles in many shops in Madrid, but as peregrina2000 says the nearest ones to Chamartín and Atocha are Barrabes shops. If you are going to travel from Chamartin and you have time enough, you can take metro line 10 till "Cuzco" and Orense shop is not far from there. If your departure is from Atocha, then Principe de Vergara (metro lines 2 and 9) or Goya (lines 2 and 4) are the nearest metro stations to the O'Donnell shop. If you are short of time, very near from O'Donnell shop you have a bus stop in calle Narvaez and the C2 line takes you directly to Atocha. Orense shop is bigger than the O'Donnell one.

Thanks so much Laurie. So no one stopped you from bringing your poles onboard? I bought a pair of Black Diamond Z poles that fold up really small and fit in my bag, so hoping I don't get stopped with them.

Hi, heitgl,
There's another thread going on about this matter, check here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/baggages-walking-poles.20405/

This is an issue that keeps coming up because so much of the answer depends on the airports you are flying through and the rules of the security agency in the countries you will pass through.

So, my comments are relevant only for people who are flying from a US airport, without a transfer in another European country (particularly the UK) and direct arrival in Spain.

Since the incident I described in my earlier post when my poles in their cardboard tube did not arrive in Madrid, I have decided to carry on my poles. They do not fit inside my pack. So what I have done is to collapse them, have a rubber tip on them (not sure why that would matter since rubber tips are easily removable, but anyway), and put them in a duffel bag. That way, I can easily check them if I have a problem. But so far so good, they have always passed right through the detectors. This includes going through security this year upon arrival in Madrid, to get on a plane to Valencia for the Camino Levante. I've had good luck for the last 3 or 4 years.

So my pack constitutes my one allowed carry-on, and my duffel bag (that has only the sticks in them) counts as my "personal item." When I get to my starting point, I pack up my duffel bag (and airplane pillow) and send them up to Santiago. I check both the pack and the duffel on my return trip home from Santiago, and my duffel bag gives me lots of space in which to squeeze in cheese, olive oil, good beans, and whatever else catches my fancy.

Sorry, this is a very long answer, but I think the details might be helpful to some. Laurie

and p.s., it does mean I have to buy a small knife upon arrival, but that's not a big expense.

Last edited:
I have carried on an Osprey 46L bag the last 4 years and have never had any problems. I send items like my Leatherman ahead to the hotel I am staying in the first night. I do inform the hotel I am sending a package. Have not had a problem to date.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to fold up my poles and bring them on and see what happens. I will just check them if need be. I realized I don't want to be shopping for poles upon arriving in Spain, too much hassle, especially not speaking Spanish.

I have a Gregory 55L and have always carried it on. I simply put my pack cover on it and a strap to help hold it. It actually looks much like a medium/small duffle bag. The pack cover keeps it some secure should you run into someone who forces you to check. Never happened to me and can't understand why it would. It meets size requirments.
I carry my sticks in a tube inside my pack ready to be checked if needed...never happened yet.
That way I am only at risk of my sticks not showing up instead of my whole kit.
The same could be done with other items that can't be checked like the knife. You could check it and only be at risk of that item.
I don't want to risk my kit not making connections or not arriving at all.

I would also suggest that if your pack is too big for carry on...you probably have too much and could very well have a bigger problem when you start walking. 8)
I believe that your last sentence is a significant statement for sure!!!

I have managed to take my pack as carry-on on the Europe-bound leg every trip so far: Osprey Kestrel 48, Kestrel 38, and Exos 46. I disassemble my Pacer Poles and wrap them, along with the knife and scissors, for checking. So far, no problems - flying variously British Air, Air France, and Lufthansa. I carry a small collapsible daypack from Sea-to-Summit (collapses to goose-egg size) on every trip, for grocery shopping etc etc while walking. This small pack is my "purse" when flying: holds the travel documents, water bottle, snacks, etc.
Okay, This is what I shall be doing. Thank you!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lots of great data on this thread. I have a Kestral 48 and will carry it on and put poles/knife in baggage...I have loads of time to mull this as I do not leave until May 2014. Thx for the insight everyone!!!

If you don't need to have it in the cabin then it should be checked.

Then there are no problems with knives, poles, or other gear that TSA thinks is dangerous in the cabin.

A pet peeve is waiting to get off a plane while people unload their luggage from the overhead bin where it sat the whole trip.

There are endless answers to this question, but I cannot understand why nobody asks their airline the question. If you book online, the sizes and weights have to be in their conditions. If you book through an agent, they should be able to tell you.
As an example, Virgin Atlantic allow you to take 10 kgs (24 lbs) as cabin baggage, whilst Ryanair allows 7 kgs (17 lbs). And contrary to what Dougfiz tells everyone, Ryanair does most definitely check the size of your carry on bag and strictly enforces the limits. In the departure lounge you HAVE to put your bag in the receptacle that Ryanair brings round while you are in the queue to board, and if it doesn't fit, then that's 60 euros, thank you very much. I have seen this in June at Santiago and in London last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And contrary to what Dougfiz tells everyone, Ryanair does most definitely check the size of your carry on bag and strictly enforces the limits. In the departure lounge you HAVE to put your bag in the receptacle that Ryanair brings round while you are in the queue to board, and if it doesn't fit, then that's 60 euros, thank you very much. I have seen this in June at Santiago and in London last year.
@camino-david
Well, that might be your experience, and it is perhaps more recent than mine. It is useful new information about Ryanair's approach to this.

It does not invalidate my earlier observation - in the several times I have flown with Ryanair, I have never had my cabin baggage checked, never seen anyone else have theirs checked, and seen plenty of evidence of over-sized baggage in the cabin. The bag size gauge was in a reasonably prominent position in the departure lounge, but that was all. It does you no credit to misrepresent my earlier statement in the way you have done here.

I don't fly as often I am sure as some but every time I have there has always been a little measuring unit just as we boarded that our carry on had to fit into or it was not allowed and had to be checked. I think this is becoming more common. Best thing to do is check with the airline you are flying with. And it is a great idea to wear your boots...like an earlier post said...you can't replace worn in shoes. But honestly...I think just because of what will be in mine I would check it as luggage. Just my opinion...taking the whole bag apart to be checked would be a royal pain ...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back