• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks as carry-on

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Contact your service provider to find out about what you can carry on as luggage. Every airline is different.

That would depend on your chosen airline's cabin baggage policy. I suggest you pack it with exactly the load you plan to carry, weigh and measure it, and see if it fits inside the dimensions your airline allows.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only way to know is to pack it with your intended things, measure it, and compare with the measurements your airline says. The size of a pack varies a lot, depending on how you pack it. Dimensions quoted by the manufacturer tend to be the fully packed size, using all the pouches and pockets.

If the empty size is too big, you know right away that it won't work.

I would guess that a 36 L pack would be fine although you might need to unpack the top pouch, for example, to reduce the length, rather than stuff it full.

I think you will find the Stratos 36 is over the specifications, altho not by a large amount. So you take your chances if you attempt to smuggle it on board.
The Statos 34 looks fine. That's because it hasn't got the floating pocket on top.
If the floating top pocket is removable try putting it inside the pack.
Regards
Gerard

Check the airline's website and see what the maximum dimensions allowed as a carry-on.
I've taken my backpack as a carry-on numerous times, and it's an REI 48L.
Also make sure you cinch down all the straps and tie them together. You'd be surprised how much that reduces the size of the pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nomad, I agree with what others have said so far. I have used an Osprey 48L for both Caminos I have done. And I'm a big fan of carry-on. Planes from the US are usually larger, so they can accommodate larger bags overhead. As C Clearly says, you could remove the top pouch. I have done that when I feel there may be a problem of length. I put the pack above and the pouch under the seat in front of me.

Buen Camino!!!

Also make sure you cinch down all the straps and tie them together. You'd be surprised how much that reduces the size of the pack.
A good point. Taking it a stage further: if you want to reduce volume and the external dimensions of your pack it is often worth putting all your soft gear - clothes, towel, sleeping bag liner, etc - in a compression sack. Amazing how much space you can save. On my most recent Camino I saw people walking with big sleeping bags loosely rolled and tied to the outside of their packs. Sometimes doubling the volume. Also much more open to damage and damp. Not a good idea.

A good point. Taking it a stage further: if you want to reduce volume and the external dimensions of your pack it is often worth putting all your soft gear - clothes, towel, sleeping bag liner, etc - in a compression sack. Amazing how much space you can save. On my most recent Camino I saw people walking with big sleeping bags loosely rolled and tied to the outside of their packs. Sometimes doubling the volume. Also much more open to damage and damp. Not a good idea.
Yeah, no way would I carry a sleeping bag externally on the Camino. Too much dirt and dampness, and any sleeping bag I would carry on the Camino wouldn't be that big, anyway. For me if the sleeping bag is bigger (compressed in bag) than say a 2-liter water bottle, it's too big.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My pack was a bit too tall with my stuff in it, but the frame was within the airline's size limits. So I put my clothes in a pillow case on the top, then pulled out the pillow case and it became my "purse" when I got checked in. It also served as a pillow on the flight and later at albergues, and as a laundry bag.

Hi, I remember agonising over this - our packs were almost the right size but we didn't want to be caught out the last minute so my son and I had little rucksacks with minimum overnight stay stuff (in case there was a problem with our checked in rucksacks) -and we packed both our rucksacks into one laundry bag and checked it in as 1 bag - the bag ended up a bit tattered so we bined it :) on the way home we used bin bags and gaffa tape - so much easier - It worked a treat - easy peasy travelling - no problems - Also - there is also the issue with the walking sticks - unless you can pack them into your bag not every airline is happy to bring them on - so we heard :)

Buen Camino :)

Somehow I got an Osprey 70 litre in hand luggage all the way from Australia to Lyon via London and back. In following years I have done the same with Osprey 50 litre Atmos. But I haven't tried in budget airlines, and once or twice I've almost broken the sack squeezing it into the size test frame, at the insistence of airline staff.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is osprey stratos 36 acceptable as carry-on baggage? I will be traveling from the US.
I sure hope so! I have a Gregory Jade 38...I keep measuring it and remeasuring it and even fully packed it seems ok...I will be watching this thread closely to see what others say. I do NOT want to check my backpack!

My pack was a bit too tall with my stuff in it, but the frame was within the airline's size limits. So I put my clothes in a pillow case on the top, then pulled out the pillow case and it became my "purse" when I got checked in. It also served as a pillow on the flight and later at albergues, and as a laundry bag.
I like that idea a lot...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I sure hope so! I have a Gregory Jade 38...I keep measuring it and remeasuring it and even fully packed it seems ok...I will be watching this thread closely to see what others say. I do NOT want to check my backpack!
No, it's best not to check-in the backpack if possible, and I never did enroute to Europe, but a couple of times did coming home just because I didn't feel like hauling it around and I figured not such a big deal coming back as opposed to going.
If you already know what airline you are flying, go to their website and find out the maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage, and compare that to your loaded pack. If it seems borderline, cinch it up as tight as possible and tie all straps together. That helps.

Is osprey stratos 36 acceptable as carry-on baggage? I will be traveling from the US.
I agree with everyone else, and want to say I have traveled for years with different airlines and different backpacks as carry-ons. Usually no one stops to inspect- especially if you are wearing it. Sometimes I get a gasp of disbelief that I am traveling for 2 weeks, 2 months, etc. with just a pack. However, the very budget airlines like Ryanair are sometimes picky- about size and shape because of small overhead bins- but more often about weight, and just yesterday, I was asked to weigh my pack because the airline's limit was 10kg. I did the camino with an Osprey Talon 33 while my friend had a Gregory Jade 38, and both of us had no issues. Do be aware that trekking poles can be an issue because they are subject to the whim of the individual security inspector. Buen camino!

I carried my Osprey Sirrus 36 (the women's version of the Stratus) onboard my Delta flights with no problem. But I had culled my stuff down to 13 pounds, so there was still plenty of room and I could tighten down the straps. I really didn't want to check my pack.

However, as a precaution, I had my husband standing by with an Ikea Frakta bag just in case. It holds the backpack perfectly. It wasn't needed for my trip over, but he also brought it with him when he met me in Santiago. I knew I would need to check the backpack on the flight to Valencia we were taking, so I used it for that.

See: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/
You can buy it online at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262405873012?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried my Osprey Kyte 36 (wrapped it in its built-in rain cover) on board, both British Airways and Iberia Air. There was room to spare in the overhead. Different airlines have different regulations.

No, it's best not to check-in the backpack if possible, and I never did enroute to Europe, but a couple of times did coming home just because I didn't feel like hauling it around and I figured not such a big deal coming back as opposed to going.
If you already know what airline you are flying, go to their website and find out the maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage, and compare that to your loaded pack. If it seems borderline, cinch it up as tight as possible and tie all straps together. That helps.

I had to check my bag on the way back because I bought lots of cheese in Santiago and it was not "hard cheese", so couldn't be in a carry-on. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great input on my question!
I think I'm going to like this forum.
God bless you all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had no problem taking my backpack as carry on on United on the way over, but when I checked in with Lufthansa in Madrid the check in agent thought that it looked a little big, and offered to check it for free. She suggested that if would be fine for carry on if I compressed it down a bit. I told her that I would be happy to accept the offer of checking it for free. I just removed the few things that I needed on the plane, and was happy not to be carting it around airports on my two connections.
Of course, on the way to Spain, I wouldn't let it out of my sight! Too much preparation went into what I put into that backpack! I did have a checked bag with my pre and post Camino clothes and my hiking poles.

I have bought one of those Ikea bags for my next Camino, just in case.

I carried my Osprey Sirrus 36 (the women's version of the Stratus) onboard my Delta flights with no problem. But I had culled my stuff down to 13 pounds, so there was still plenty of room and I could tighten down the straps. I really didn't want to check my pack.

However, as a precaution, I had my husband standing by with an Ikea Frakta bag just in case. It holds the backpack perfectly. It wasn't needed for my trip over, but he also brought it with him when he met me in Santiago. I knew I would need to check the backpack on the flight to Valencia we were taking, so I used it for that.

See: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/
You can buy it online at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262405873012?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
I had to check my bag on the way back because I bought lots of cheese in Santiago and it was not "hard cheese", so couldn't be in a carry-on. :)
Maybe you should have given the cheese to the screener??

I had my Stratos 36 as carry-on on multiple flights, many US -> Europe, including to Paris for the Camino. Different airlines. Never had any issues with its size.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have bought one of those Ikea bags for my next Camino, just in case.

What are they Trecile ? Please be kind and don't laugh , I haven't really ever stuck my head into an Ikea shop before , am I missing something :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carried on that exact bag with Delta when I walked the Camino in the fall of 2015. There were no problems whatsoever. I checked a shipping tube that had my trekking poles, knife and wine bottle opener in it. I disposed of the tube upon arrival in Paris.

I suggest you go with a 30, carry on no problem, the pockets and straps will allow for anything the 36 will carry. If you cannot fit it in a 30 you are bringing too much. I see many people making the mistake of walking up to check out and into the airplane with the pack shoulder carry. Do not do this.
Reverse the shoulder straps and waist belt, clip them up, the whole pack then is compact. Carry the pack as a piece of luggage by the top carry handle.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband had no problem carrying on a Stratos 36 (and me a 34) on United. He cinched them down really well so there was no question about them fitting. We also had small daypacks (the kind that fold into a pouch around 5 x 5 inches) to use on sightseeing rest days. They went under the seat in front. They took some of the load from the backpacks. We even attached my poles to the outside of my backpack, wrapped up well. The fact that we carryed on was a Godsend when our flight from Austin was delayed leaving, we would have missed our connection at Dulles, and we were able to get on another fight leaving in 10 minutes. No checked luggage to worry about! On the way home we checked our backpacks.

I've carried on some pretty large bags. When I did my first Camino, I carried on my Talon 44 backpack.

Worst case scenario, you can gate check your bag, which is free. Take a small, feather-weight bag as a carry on just in case so you have access to your travel essentials.

For my Camino this year, I'm checking my pack, but I have a light, small backpack (similar to REI's Flash Pack) that will hold a water bottle, sweater for the plane, electronics, passport, etc.

Whatever you decide, wear your hiking boots/shoes on the plane. If your luggage gets lost, at least you still have your broken-in boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.