• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks in bars/cafes

LGY

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - May 2018.
This may be a daft question but...When stopping at bars / cafes / small shops along the way, can you take your backpack in with you or is it good etiquette that you leave your backpack outside?
I'll be a solo walker & would probably feel bit uneasy leaving it unattended outside.
Apologies if this has been asked already, I did search but couldn't see anything.

It's now just 5 weeks until my first ever Camino, starting from Leon. I'm excited with a few nerves thrown in for good measure!
Thanks x

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A pilgrim with a pack on is much like the "bull in a china shop" hitting things and knocking them off the counters when they turn this way and that. Just leave your pack outside and be sure nothing is left that cannot be replaced. I prefer not to take valuables on the Camino so I don't have to worry about it.

Just don't wear it inside any building to avoid hitting people and things.
I do not leave my pack outside on the street...any more than I would at home. I am considerate and keep the pack off from chairs and out of the way of other customers...or I just don't go in if it is too crowded.
Would you leave your pack on the street or sidewalk in your home town?

I have witnessed, several times, a car pulling up by a bar with packs lined up outside and a passenger just getting out and throwing several packs into car and driving off. Easy pickings for thieves....usually just dirty clothes but still have to be replaced.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi LGY, welcome! In addition to the above, you'll find that other pilgrims will be leaving their's outside against a wall, fence or chair, so its a good reminder of where it belongs. Quite often there'll be other pilgrims around who will keep an eye on your bag too.

As noted above, there can be (although very rarely) a grab and run. We added a velcro strip like you might find on a laptop power cord to the grab loop on top of the backpack. See attached image. You can see it wrapped in the storage position on the red backpack and how it holds the backpack upright at the end of the bed on the green one.

We use this to wrap around a pole, chair leg, fence to both hold it upright and to keep it from being easily grabbed. You'd be surprised how hard it is to pull that free when you've wrapped that velcro strip around a few times. It also works well at the end of the bed in an albergue. It keeps the backpack from falling over all the time. Some folks like using a caribiner, but you're limited to using something smaller than the gate on the caribiner and by the shape of the item you're attempting to attach too. With the velcro strip, you're only limited by the length of the velcro strip. They'll wrap around anything.

Attachments

• 1-DSC04236.JPG
    1-DSC04236.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Hi LGY, welcome! In addition to the above, you'll find that other pilgrims will be leaving their's outside against a wall, fence or chair, so its a good reminder of where it belongs. Quite often there'll be other pilgrims around who will keep an eye on your bag too.

As noted above, there can be (although very rarely) a grab and run. We added a velcro strip like you might find on a laptop power cord to the grab loop on top of the backpack. See attached image. You can see it wrapped in the storage position on the red backpack and how it holds the backpack upright at the end of the bed on the green one.

We use this to wrap around a pole, chair leg, fence to both hold it upright and to keep it from being easily grabbed. You'd be surprised how hard it is to pull that free when you've wrapped that velcro strip around a few times. It also works well at the end of the bed in an albergue. It keeps the backpack from falling over all the time. Some folks like using a caribiner, but you're limited to using something smaller than the gate on the caribiner and by the shape of the item you're attempting to attach too. With the velcro strip, you're only limited by the length of the velcro strip. They'll wrap around anything.
Great idea!

Thanks for all the comments and advice, much appreciated. The idea of Velcro on the grab handle is genius Telelama.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We live in a world now where leaving a pack or anything where the contents are unknown, even a Pikgrim's pack outside any building. That said, we are not only Pilgrims, we are also human and need food and drink.

Rule #1 - Respect the requirements of Vendors in markets, bars, restaurants and stores. If they require a pack be left outside, ok, but without having to carry a locking device, how about creating a buddy system as mentioned by @Telelama? When a place has been located and no packs allowed, ask other Pilgrims, "If you want to go in, I will watch your pack till you get back if you will do the same for me?"

Using a bright coloured, securely installed rain cover may also deter thieves btw. Yes, I said, "May," not, "Will."

Rule #2 - When entering an establishment, take pack off and carry infront of you. Then there is little or not chance of knocking stuff about.

Rule #3 - Never rely on the, "safety in numbers," idea. A large number of unattended packs in front of a bar or store is a smorgasbord for a thief. Again, this same scenario provides more people who can share the guarding duties for 5 or 10 minutes each over the time of a group visit. Looking at stopping for a meal? Estimated time for the meal is 1 hour for six people with six packs. Each person guards packs for 10 minutes and all have a 50 minute time frame to eat and relax. And no one loses a pack.

Rule #4 - (Last one, I promise)

If you prefer to be proactive, a, "Purse or Bag Alarm," can be purchased. Watch this;

This is just an example and I am not an affiliate. And this is only one type of alarm. Many will go off just by picking up the bag it is hidden in.

Hope this helps.

I would take off my pack, and hold it in my hand, down by my legs and then once served, put it down on the floor, out of the way close to where I planned to sit, and then go back for my coffee.
Wearing it on your back you will bump into things and people as you swing around, in your hand is safer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd take a look around and see what others are doing at that particular spot. If there's room inside, or if it's crowded. If there windows where you can see your pack outside, leave it outside for only a short time as you'll bring your food outside to eat. Some places it's fine to bring it in, as there's room to set it against a wall or in a corner, out of other's way. You'll make mistakes and learn as you go, and others will help you. Related-don't set your pack on a bed! Buen Camino!

This may be a daft question but...When stopping at bars / cafes / small shops along the way, can you take your backpack in with you or is it good etiquette that you leave your backpack outside?
I'll be a solo walker & would probably feel bit uneasy leaving it unattended outside.
Apologies if this has been asked already, I did search but couldn't see anything.

It's now just 5 weeks until my first ever Camino, starting from Leon. I'm excited with a few nerves thrown in for good measure!
Thanks x
Pilgrim's do both. It is certainly ok to keep the pack on while ordering. Take it off after sitting down. Pilgrim's are very trustworthy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We use this to wrap around a pole, chair leg, fence to both hold it upright and to keep it from being easily grabbed. It also works well at the end of the bed in an albergue. It keeps the backpack from falling over all the time. Some folks like using a caribiner, but you're limited to using something smaller than the gate on the caribiner and by the shape of the item you're attempting to attach too. With the velcro strip, you're only limited by the length of the velcro strip. They'll wrap around anything.

What a great idea!!! Really like that it is so lightweight yet it sure seems like it would provide flexibility and versatility. Never liked the weight, limitations or general clunkiness of a carabiner myself, so this is going on my packing list (and my pack) asap. Thanks Telelama!

Thanks x
... also, clip the waist band up in case someone steps on the dangling strap and breaks the clip

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A pilgrim with a pack on is much like the "bull in a china shop" hitting things and knocking them off the counters when they turn this way and that. Just leave your pack outside and be sure nothing is left that cannot be replaced. I prefer not to take valuables on the Camino so I don't have to worry about it.
One of the few good things at the end of a camino is being able to go ANYWHERE and not have to worry about hitting somebody as you turn around.

The velcro ties can be had in various gaudy colours (check out computer supplies on eBay etc.) and don't forget two ties can be joined together to make a long one!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Velcro idea is fantastic. My AARN flops all over the place. Pinching.
Are you happy with your Aarn backpack generally? The design really appeals to me but it looks challenging to adjust.

I agree, great idea!

To overcome the issue of where should I put my backpack when I enter a cafe/etc. I send my large backpack on at a cost of about 5 Euros and only carry a small day-pack while walking. This solves the problem because the smaller pack doesn't cause the problems associated with a large pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks x
Hi LGY
I always have a small travel hand bag that I put over my neck and both my arms,the back pack stops it from sliding down. It sits perfect in front of me when I’m hiking and when I go into a bar I take it with me.
The bag is big enough to hold my phone, wallet,passport a small towel and snacks.
My back pack is always left outside against a wall, I’ve never had a problem. Buen Camino

Last edited:

Thanks x
I am very wary about leaving anything outside after my experience at one bar. I had left my pack and walking pole out by tables where pilgrims were sitting and I went inside. After finishing inside, I donned my pack and was taking off when I realised I did not have my walking pole. Came back and had a difficult job getting the owner to understand what I was looking for. Eventually he spoke to a "pilgrim" sitting at a corner table and there he had my pole hidden behind his backpack hoping no one would notice. So even other pilgrims are not to be trusted.

I am very wary about leaving anything outside after my experience at one bar. I had left my pack and walking pole out by tables where pilgrims were sitting and I went inside. After finishing inside, I donned my pack and was taking off when I realised I did not have my walking pole. Came back and had a difficult job getting the owner to understand what I was looking for. Eventually he spoke to a "pilgrim" sitting at a corner table and there he had my pole hidden behind his backpack hoping no one would notice. So even other pilgrims are not to be trusted.
Pilgrims can be the worst. Working at Rabanal I was going around checking the toilets for cleanliness and topping up the paper. Just as I started they was a panic as somebody collapsed with heat exhaustion. I hung the 12 pack up on those hooks opposite the showers and when I came back 5 minutes later they'd all been stolen.
Pilgrims eh? :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It varies from place to place, and owner to owner --though generally speaking, on the routes in France it's usually better to keep them outside, but in Spain you can more often than not bring them in.

But use common sense -- in crowded places, try and keep to the outside tables with your pack, in cluttered ones leave it out, in spacious or uncrowded conditions, bring it in and stick it out of the way in some corner.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Are you happy with your Aarn backpack generally? The design really appeals to me but it looks challenging to adjust.
No, I am not at all happy with it. Basically K2 did not offer to fit it. My hip bones are bruised and sore despite three attempts to adjust the hip belt. If you are going to buy one, I strongly recommend getting a competent person to adjust it for you. I am in pain most days. I loosen the hip belt to carry the weight on my shoulders for an hour then do up the hip belt. When I have the belt done up, I have to lift it with my arms for 10 minutes walking. I even thought of swapping it for someone’s pack which would not inflict pain. I won’t be able to do the Finisterre and will be blessed to complete the Camino. I limit the distance I walk each day because of the pain and bruising. My chiropractor is going to go crook at me. I just hope not to do permanent damage.
When I get back ( I rely on patchy wireless), then I will contact Aarn about this pack.
I am very frustrated, in intense pain every day and am at a loss as to what to do, save for sending this pack and walking without it, which I don’t want to do (it is important to me to carry my load). Thanks for asking.

No, I am not at all happy with it. Basically K2 did not offer to fit it. My hip bones are bruised and sore despite three attempts to adjust the hip belt. If you are going to buy one, I strongly recommend getting a competent person to adjust it for you. I am in pain most days. I loosen the hip belt to carry the weight on my shoulders for an hour then do up the hip belt. When I have the belt done up, I have to lift it with my arms for 10 minutes walking. I even thought of swapping it for someone’s pack which would not inflict pain. I won’t be able to do the Finisterre and will be blessed to complete the Camino. I limit the distance I walk each day because of the pain and bruising. My chiropractor is going to go crook at me. I just hope not to do permanent damage.
When I get back ( I rely on patchy wireless), then I will contact Aarn about this pack.
I am very frustrated, in intense pain every day and am at a loss as to what to do, save for sending this pack and walking without it, which I don’t want to do (it is important to me to carry my load). Thanks for asking.
I'm so sorry you're in so much pain, I hope it works out for you long term. I wondered about K2, it seems it'd be better to buy in Victoria, if at all. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It does sound like you were not measured for the correct fit. It sounds like the length of the frame in the pack is too short. Also, are you wearing a belt for pants or have a large seam under the hipbelt? How heavy is your pack?

When putting on your pack, all the straps should be loosened. With the pack hanging down from your shoulders, shrug up your shoulders and fasten your hip belt. The top edge of the hipbelt should be just above the crest of your hip bones.

Once you have tightened your hipbelt, your shoulder straps should be very loose with no weight on them. Now, snug down the straps so that they just barely take some weight off the hips. Hip belts should not take 100% of the weight; it should be about 10 to 15% on the shoulders, and 85 to 90% on the hipbelt.

If your pack has load lifter straps, which are at the top of the shoulder straps and attach to the frame, these should be pulled until they form about a 45 degree angle from the attachment point on the pack to where they attach to the shoulder strap.

If the pack length is either too large or too small for your body frame, then it is exceedingly difficult for a proper adjustment to be made. Also, most outdoor stores with backpacking supplies will carry accessories to add padding to shoulder straps and hipbelts.

Me... if I had a pack as uncomfortable as yours is, I would get me to the nearest outdoor shop with backpacks and competent help, and get one that works properly. I would not put up with that kind of misery one second longer than needed. It is taking away from your Camino. You can probably find a store that carries Osprey packs in Spain, and they are very comfortable for most people.

Ship your Aarn home. I've been known to torch (in appropriately configured fires) equipment that gave me grief, and then salting the ashes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@davebugg lol loads of good advice! I have eliminated rogue seams, adjusted the hip belt, lengthened the back, tilted the hip straps, forced to leave expensive gear behind to lighten my pack and lifted the belt during walking to ease the pain.
Fortunately the weather is cool, I am wearing carefully pressed layers and the pain is manageable if I do less km. I am on the way to O’Cebreiro today so will look for pads to line the hip belt.
The weather is warming and yesterday it was dead set painful to walk without padding so put my coat on.
Bloody nightmare.
Lol I told my husband I would swap my AARN for another. He said keep it and deal with it when I return.
I will seek an outdoor store to get some padding.
Muchos gracias cowboy!

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain, I hope it works out for you long term. I wondered about K2, it seems it'd be better to buy in Victoria, if at all. Buen Camino
K2 seemed to encourage me away from the AARN. Now I think I know why. I intend to contact Aarn to request a fitting from K2 so that they have an opportunity to put it right. I will keep members updated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As you probably read from above posts, you will see places that say "no backpacks" and others that do not specify. You will know what to do when the time comes. BUT....ALWAYS ALWAYS keep any and all valuables on your person at ALL TIMES..... it is easier to not tempt the temptress!!!

Update on AARN backpack.
I finished the Camino on 22 April, then hiked 3 days to Fisterra. Best trip ever.

The AARN backpack hurt from go to woe; I returned to Australia in May and finally got back to K2 to have it seen to.

Chris from K2 was brilliant, and he adjusted the fitting as best he could.

He also told me that (after looking at my hip bones) that I needed padding of some sort. I am thin and got very thin on the Camino.

The back length is fine, although my back length is right in the middle. I could use either a short or long back length.

I will be testing my backpack from time to time and eyeing off 2019 for the Camino Portuguese.

K2 gave brilliant service.

I can only repeat my previous advice to ensure that it has been fitted prior to embarking on major expedition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always took mine inside with me (in my hands and not on my back) but most of the time it was only to buy something and then sit outside. I never left it outside and unattended anywhere.

If I see 'no backpack' signs then I take my €s elsewhere. Why should you be expected to leave your possessions on the street? Nope, I just walk on.
If there's a sign saying "wipe your feet" do you just trample mud everywhere? ;)

If there's a sign saying "wipe your feet" do you just trample mud everywhere? ;)

Really not the same thing at all. The businesses along the Camino are only there because of the pilgrims. Almost all are welcoming and wonderful. Those that won't accommodate those of us on foot shouldn't expect our support. Not too much to ask and, for most shops and cafes along the way, it's not.

Really not the same thing at all. The businesses along the Camino are only there because of the pilgrims. Almost all are welcoming and wonderful. Those that won't accommodate those of us on foot shouldn't expect our support. Not too much to ask and, for most shops and cafes along the way, it's not.

Disagree.
Strange as it seems there are also locals to cater for.
We pilgrims are guests.Can you imagine ten pilgrims coming in at the same time in a small shop with their pack? Chaos and inconvenience for the shopowner.
And another note : when a local walks into a shop after me I always let him or her go to the till first and I wait. Again he is a regular customer and I am not.Just showing some courtesy.

Strongly disagree.
I go back to a time when there was almost nothing in between the long established etapas. Most of the villages along the way were ghost towns during the day.
The numerous bars and cafes that have sprung up have brought a degree of prosperity to their owners but so much more in terms of facilities to the ever increasing number of pilgrims.
As for "Those that won't accommodate those of us on foot shouldn't expect our support" I'd say those that can't respect las reglas de la casa shouldn't expect to be served, and don't get me started on the freeloaders who expect to use the toilet facilities for free. Assuming you work for a living, would you be happy for your boss to use your "facilities" and not pay for the privilege?
Getting back to the OP's point - I won't leave anything of value unguarded in a vulnerable place but, if my pack was stolen, it would be an inconvenience not a tragedy. I don't for instance, carry around the ashes of departed offspring with me.
I also use Velcro cable tidy strips that allow me to quickly fasten my pack to a chair. The strips are red and so is the pack which makes them almost invisible. If a snatchpurse does try to steal the pack they'll end up trying to leg it down the road with a large aluminium chair attached.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Didn't say he did David - it was the principle of respect I was aiming at.

Your example was of someone disregarding the request and doing the opposite. That seems to me very different from what he is doing.

He respects their request by not bringing his pack into the bar. There is nothing disrespectful in walking on. Respect doesn't have to imply agreement.

Getting back to the OP's point - I won't leave anything of value unguarded in a vulnerable place but, if my pack was stolen, it would be an inconvenience not a tragedy. I don't for instance, carry around the ashes of departed offspring with me.

If few Euros were stolen that would be an inconvenience, if all my gear were stolen that would put an end to my journey which I planned and dreamt for years, so for me it would be a tragedy.

Anyway, I agree on being considerate to locals and everyone else; I agree with "my house, my rules", but I also agree with whom doesn't agree with someone else's "house rules" and decides no get into that "house".

I, honestly, can't think of any shop that I want visit so much to put all or any of my possessions at risk of being stolen and consequently jeopardize my journey.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back