• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks in Churches, Museums, etc.?

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
Can you bring your backpack into churches and other public places along the CF, or are they restricted due to security concerns? Trying to determine if I need to bring a small, light pack for wandering in towns and villages after I've reached the evening's destination. Thanks!

Fred

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I never saw anyone still lugging around their backpacks in town after checking into their albergue or other accommodation. No need to and would be impractical. Get a small, lightweight pack for that. Put you valuables into it that you don't want to leave in your unattended backpack at the albergue. Also the small pack comes in handy to put groceries in if you do some shopping.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For men, most hiking pants have sufficient pockets to carry a wallet, phone, passport, and credential. So if those are the only valuables you are carrying, then you are good. My pockets aren't quite enough for that, so I take a small handbag for wandering around without my pack. That way, when I want to leave my pack at an alberque or just outside a church, bar, restaurant, museum, etc. I can take my valuables with me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry an ultralight day pack for use at the end of the day. I think it ways 50 gms.....

No. 68 gms. http://www.paddypallin.com.au/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-day-pack.html

I called into many churches whilst walking during the day. I would either just leave my pack and poles outside by the door, or just inside near the door somewhere. You get a 'sense' of whether it is safe to do so. Others would walk around the church wearing their pack. I don't think there is anything wrong with that either, is there?

It was very handi to have a small bag to put my raincoat in, I didn't have a phone but I did take a tablet. That went in as well so I could maintain contact with my wife. Most often I walked to a bar so I could email. As Mark Lee mentioned getting groceries, using it for clothes washers I could throw it in as well, showers, convenient. Mine was a bag that had string shoulder straps very basic.

It was very handi to have a small bag to put my raincoat in, I didn't have a phone but I did take a tablet. That went in as well so I could maintain contact with my wife. Most often I walked to a bar so I could email. As Mark Lee mentioned getting groceries, using it for clothes washers I could throw it in as well, showers, convenient. Mine was a bag that had string shoulder straps very basic.
That's exactly what I carried. It weighs nothing and folds up small. Got it for free from one of the sponsors after a 5k run I did a couple of years ago.
They look like this:
04070194.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I only carry 5 kg pack but I try to take it off if when wandering around church/museum/cafe as it's really annoying to be given a whack by some of the larger packs - especially if you are old. I just put valuables in my pocket, well that's where they are as a matter of course anyhow. Apart from a few towns most places are pretty rural and couldn't imagine they have crime problem - Spain is a very civilised country.

Yep thanks for knowing how to put a picture on the forum, I still haven't figured it out....:)
ha ha...
When you hit reply to a message, or are just posting a message, click on the "upload a file".....then you can post whatever photo you want. All I did was find a generic photo of one of those backpacks on the net. Saved it to my desktop, than added it to my message via the "upload a file". You can also use any photos of your own the same way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used the small daypack in the photo below. It's made by Outdoor Products. I purchased it from Walmart for something like $5 or $6, Its rated capacity is 14 L, and the weight is 3.2 oz /90 gm. It rolls up into itself, making a little ball about the size of a large orange. Your avatar doesn't say where you're located, but if it's someplace that doesn't have a Walmart, Google "Outdoor Products Packable Daypack" (without quotes) to see several other vendors.
Backpack - Daypack green.jpg

Museums often require that you leave the pack at the door or in a locker or cloakroom. At the Monasterio de las Huelgas in Burgos, they x-rayed my backpack before putting it in a locker for me.

I used the small daypack in the photo below. It's made by Outdoor Products. I purchased it from Walmart for something like $5 or $6, Its rated capacity is 14 L, and the weight is 3.2 oz /90 gm. It rolls up into itself, making a little ball about the size of a large orange. Your avatar doesn't say where you're located, but if it's someplace that doesn't have a Walmart, Google "Outdoor Products Packable Daypack" (without quotes) to see several other vendors.

We have something very similar and it is an over the shoulder bag. Also rolls up into a little ball and weighs even less due to no zipper. I think it will also work in the shower to keep my stuff dry by hanging it up on the shower rod with a shoelace and a small carabiner. It is very water resistant. I think it is made with recycled plastic water bottles. I got it at Cost Plus World Market.

Attachments

• 32147_XXX_v2.jpg
    32147_XXX_v2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 21
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I dont know if this is relevant but you are not allowed, any more to take a pack into the chruch at Santiago. There several offices nearby where you can leave your pack for five Euros.

I'm taking a nysil bag to carry on the plane this year and to use for shopping, since they don't give shopping bags in Spain.
Also good for those short day trips.
Sea to Summit. I ordered it from Amazon.

Can you bring your backpack into churches and other public places along the CF, or are they restricted due to security concerns? Trying to determine if I need to bring a small, light pack for wandering in towns and villages after I've reached the evening's destination. Thanks!

Fred
I carry a super lightweight backpack. It comes in handy for carrying shopping and laundry (to the laundromat). It serves well for carrying valuables and documentation when you've left your main pack elsewhere.

Sea to summit has a really nice super light day pack that is tiny when packed away. Can't look up the model name right now (on my way to my first Camino...yeah!), but I'm sure you can find it online.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back