• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks You Taken as Carry On Baggage

JeepsNRoses

Camino Dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2017) May 15th SJPdP - Pamplona
CF (2019) Dec 18th Sarria - Santiago
CF (2020) May 17th SJPdP
Shoppng for backpacks soon & would like to know which of your favorite packs fit as carry on. I am flying American which mandates 22"x14"x9".

Here in south Texas members of the hiking club prefer Osprey because of the mesh suspension backs and incredible warranties. The Mira AG 34 is listed as 21x14x13. The Sirrus 34 is 24x11x9. Both have hydration systems which I need here but would not use on the Camino. My local store doesn't have the women's models in stock right now. I am guessing these measurements have some degree of give, i.e., are fully packed uncompressed measurements.

Does anyone have actual flight experience with either of these bags? Does anyone have flght carry on experience with other similar bags that you would recommend for the Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used ULA Ohm 2.0. With collar rolled down it met American't carry-on requirements, and I also carried it on the smaller regional connector flight which requires roll-on bags be checked. I really liked this backpack, it is very light but does not have a vented back.

I used ULA Ohm 2.0. With collar rolled down it met American't carry-on requirements, and I also carried it on the smaller regional connector flight which requires roll-on bags be checked. I really liked this backpack, it is very light but does not have a vented back.
Good info, thanks! When was your Camino? I am dreaming ahead to May 15.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Suzi Wooldridge When you say 'listed as' it makes me wonder if you have just taken the measurements off the website? They often state the maximum measurements, ie for a completely stuffed pack with the lid floating on top and adding lots of height. Bring a measuring tape to a shop - or ask someone who owns one - and measure the length and width of the back panel/system and then see how much room you have to play with. My Tempest 30L fits under the seat in front of me on a flight when it is Camino full = evenly packed, all straps tightened and the lid strapped down. Most women's Osprey M or S/M packs under 40L are about 19 inches long in real terms, but check the model you are interested in to find out for sure. Both the Mira and the Sirrus should pass as hand luggage if you don't overpack them (but don't take my word for it). Good luck!

Does anyone have actual flight experience with either of these bags? Does anyone have flght carry on experience with other similar bags that you would recommend for the Camino?[/QUOTE]

I walked CF in May- June this year with an Osprey Sirrus 24L (no H2O bladder. Sleeping bag attached outside). No problem carrying on my American overseas flight though I always have to valet check my backpack on the tiny plane from Waco to DFW. Sorry, did not actually measure dimensions. In the past I've gotten away with my Sirrus 36L (full) as carry on but airlines are becoming much more strict: once was forced to check through (British Airways I think).
The 24L was small so I was strictly limited on what I carried but this controlled the weight nicely (which was the whole point). A small pack requires good organization but it didn't bother me as much as I though it might. Only downside was NO space for souvenirs unless I got rid of something else.
Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone have actual flight experience with either of these bags? Does anyone have flght carry on experience with other similar bags that you would recommend for the Camino?

I walked CF in May- June this year with an Osprey Sirrus 24L (no H2O bladder. Sleeping bag attached outside). No problem carrying on my American overseas flight though I always have to valet check my backpack on the tiny plane from Waco to DFW. Sorry, did not actually measure dimensions. In the past I've gotten away with my Sirrus 36L (full) as carry on but airlines are becoming much more strict: once was forced to check through (British Airways I think).
The 24L was small so I was strictly limited on what I carried but this controlled the weight nicely (which was the whole point). A small pack requires good organization but it didn't bother me as much as I though it might. Only downside was NO space for souvenirs unless I got rid of something else.
Hope this helps. Buen Camino![/QUOTE]
Waco! I lived there in the early 80s. Thanks for the info! I wondered if the 24L Sirrus (very highly rated) plus a lightweight add on (like Lug) would work. The 24L is more practical for me long term. My vacation is 3 weeks but only walking 16 days. Was there room for rain gear?

@Suzi Wooldridge I know your question pertained to two specific packs, but please don't limit yourself to a single brand. I have Osprey, Dueter, and Gregory backpacks. Which one I wear depends upon what I plan on carrying in it, thus where I'm going. I got along famously with my Gregory Jade 35 on the CF and will take it again. It goes with me as a carryon but I check my poles. Proper fit is so much more important than brand name.

I have a REI Crestrail 48 pack. Laying empty on the bed, it measures 26" x16". I have carried it on dozens of flights – both nationally and internationally with American, Iberia, Interjet, Easyjet and AirFrance – and have never had a problem. It fits easily in the overhead bins (even when placed perpendicularly). I rarely stuff it full, but I like having the larger size because my collapsed poles fit nicely inside while traveling.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@cher99840 Thanks for the Gregory Jade suggestion. I asked for experience with the two Osprey packs or other ventilated packs that have worked as carry ons. The bag you mentioned is one I will check out when I go back to REI. The lumbar support sounds appealing.
@BShea I didn't find a Crestrail, but did find REI Traverse. Will put that on my list as well.

Both packs you two recommended have 5 star ratings. Yeaaa

I am leaving from Australia this week .... Taking osprey 30lit...... I am debating checking in pack with poles OR seeing what happens if I put collapsible poles in pack and see if I get through OR checking in poles and taking pack on board ......

Reasoning is I can buy new poles in st Jean if they are confiscated or lost .... But I don't want my pack to get lost in transit either .... Flying via Singapore

Any suggestions

Anne

The TSA will not confiscate your poles. They do not do that.
The very worst they could do is send you back to check them.

However, we do not hear from anyone who has been denied by TSA...so even this is very unlikely.

It may be prudent to arrive at the TSA line with enough time to check the poles if you were unlucky enough to be the first one denied.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have carried-on my REI Crestrail 48L on multiple flights. Never had a problem fitting it in that dimension frame at the ticket counter or in putting it in an overhead bin on the plane. Also I have never carried the pack in its full capacity either. If I did I would surely have too much stuff in it for the Camino.
Before I carry-it on the flight, I tie and cinch down all the straps and the hip belt. That helps reduce its dimensions.

@cher99840 Thanks for the Gregory Jade suggestion. I asked for experience with the two Osprey packs or other ventilated packs that have worked as carry ons. The bag you mentioned is one I will check out when I go back to REI. The lumbar support sounds appealing.
@BShea I didn't find a Crestrail, but did find REI Traverse. Will put that on my list as well.

Both packs you two recommended have 5 star ratings. Yeaaa[/QUOTE

The Gregory Jade is the one I like the best so far but it is more than I was looking to spend. I'll wait to see if it goes on sale. I'm just looking like you. I also like Osprey Expos 38L. It is very light but find the straps irritating on my neck. Osprey may not work for me.

Shoppng for backpacks soon & would like to know which of your favorite packs fit as carry on. I am flying American which mandates 22"x14"x9".

Here in south Texas members of the hiking club prefer Osprey because of the mesh suspension backs and incredible warranties. The Mira AG 34 is listed as 21x14x13. The Sirrus 34 is 24x11x9. Both have hydration systems which I need here but would not use on the Camino. My local store doesn't have the women's models in stock right now. I am guessing these measurements have some degree of give, i.e., are fully packed uncompressed measurements.

Hi Suzi:

I hiked from Santiago to Finesterre/Muxia in June 2016. I'm only 5/2" and was having a hard time finding a pack short enough for my back length until my local store fitted me in the Osprey Womens Kyte size XS. It's a 46 litre pack - and comes in 36 L. However, they only had the 46L available at the time and I didn't have time to order the smaller one. It is listed at 2600+ CU, and 25x13x11 in actual size. I flew American Airlines from Dallas to Madrid both ways and carried it on both times. I have to admit that we checked my husband's pack which was too big, and contained my poles as well, but I used the Kyte almost fully loaded with things for the plane and a couple of nights enroute. I just tightened the cinch straps as much as I could, and had no trouble placing it either under the seat in front of me (remember, I don't need much legroom) or even overhead in the very small jet that flies from Grand Junction, CO to Dallas, TX. No one ever gave me a hard time about the size.

It worked wonderfully well for my walk - comfortable, and had enough places to put everything. I liked that it zipped open on the side much like a suitcase, but in reality, I found myself loading it from the drawstringed top. The top "cap" part of the bag had two different pockets for organization. It did NOT come off, however to function as a fanny pack. The bottom zip pocket also opens into the main compartment, which has a moveable false bottom. This was useful sometimes when I knew that I wanted something in the bottom and didn't want to remove everything to get to it. I used a combination of small stuff sacks and Eagle Creek zippered bags to organize within the pack itself. It does have loop attachments for hiking poles. Though 46 L sounds larger than needed, it all cinches down pretty small especially if it's not full, and I use it all the time hiking in Colorado, even for day trips, since it fits so well and isn't heavy. It will accomodate a hydration pack, though I just put water bottles in the side pockets. Probably, the 36L would also be big enough, but if you were ever going to hike and camp for a couple of nights and carry more, the 36L would be too small. At $179, I wanted some flexibility. Hope this helps you, and if I have not answered any questions you have, please let me know. Oh, my pack is sort of a deep red color. It stands out so I can always find it in a stack of packs, and would be pretty obvious if someone was trying to walk off with it. Don't know what other choices there might be, since it was the ONLY one available to me at the time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Suzi Wooldridge, hi

Most of my gear came from zPacks.com of Florida. While expensive (it is almost bespoke made) it fits the bill and is very light.

Relevant to your enquiry is the Arc Blast backpack. Using my wife's measuring tape, and with everything inside and the top rolled down and secured, it is 23in by 13in by 6in. It weighs 21 oz (595 g) and offers a main bag of 32 l with side pockets adding another 10 l or so. Their web site talks of 30 in height - I get that measurement with the roll top fully extended and open, not rolled down and closed.

I travel with everything inside and populate the side pockets when starting to walk.

I have also had made a roll top dry bag that can act as a liner but is large enough to have the backpack placed inside. This has a carry handle and means all belts and straps are enclosed and will not get caught on any baggage handling stuff.

I took the Osprey Kyte 36L and loved it. No problem taking it on board (I wrapped it in its rain cover). I purchased my poles in St. Jean, as I never check baggage. Perhaps you have read the threads last couple of weeks about pilgrims arriving….but without their checked luggage. I'm sure it will all work out for you. Ah, the waiting and anticipation. :rolleyes:

Suzi,

I second the suggestion for Zpacks--IMO best design of any lightweight pack. And a mesh suspension for your back. I got mine in Dyneema for extra durability (and a small weight penalty). If you get one, get the belt pouches--worth the extra money. You probably only need the Arc Blast; I have an Arc Haul because I also do lots of regular backpacking (tents, stoves, etc.).

Although my Arc Haul is technically 23" long, I carry it as carry-on luggage all of the time (well over a dozen trips) and have never been asked to check it, even on those puddle-jumpers you are flying into Waco (I spent high school in Temple, Texas, and I remember those little planes Rio Air used to fly out of DFW)--Note: I come nowhere close to filling the pack, and keep all the the compression chords pulled tight. It fits in the overhead bins better than those rolling bags. Also, if you ever get in a real pinch, the long carbon struts can be removed from the pack (it takes about 3 minutes). If you put them in the main bag diagonally, they would fit below the 22" limit.

NB: even the 45L Arc Haul is really too big for a Camino pack. You might email Joe and Matt and see if they can cut the fabric so that the pack has an inch less depth, thereby reducing volume. That should get you about the volume you need for a Camino, and will probably save an ounce or so.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took the Osprey Kyte 36L and loved it. No problem taking it on board (I wrapped it in its rain cover). I purchased my poles in St. Jean, as I never check baggage. Perhaps you have read the threads last couple of weeks about pilgrims arriving….but without their checked luggage. I'm sure it will all work out for you. Ah, the waiting and anticipation. :rolleyes:

Hi :)
Did you happen to notice if they had the collapsible poles in st Jean ?

Thanks

I am leaving from Australia this week .... Taking osprey 30lit...... I am debating checking in pack with poles OR seeing what happens if I put collapsible poles in pack and see if I get through OR checking in poles and taking pack on board ......

Reasoning is I can buy new poles in st Jean if they are confiscated or lost .... But I don't want my pack to get lost in transit either .... Flying via Singapore

Any suggestions

Anne

H R H has an Ospray Aura 35
I use both Ospray Stratos 40 and Deuter 42 and we have had no problems on
Qatar , Qantas, Singapore , Emirates and Cathay from Oz
or
Within Europe Iberian , Air France , British Airways and surprisingly Easy Jet where we booked the front row at a slightly extra cost.
** We also tie the loose straps with black plumbing tape ...looks neater and lessens the chance of damage on conveyor belts.
We also keep as much out of the top section as possible ....in the hand bag it goes as that section if full makes things tight.

Pack with you , sticks don't worry.
I think the idea of putting sticks in pack is fraught with danger. Maybe ok here ....o/seas different.

When finished we leave the sticks to prepare for HRH 's shopping

Hi Suzi

I've taken my 35L Osprey pack as carry on luggage with various airlines (Emirates, British Airways, Vueling, Etihad) before and after my 3 caminos and never had a question about its size. I think it's always safer to carry on!

buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Suzi!

I have a Gregory Jade 50, a women's model, which is actually 55L because I have a size Medium. The measurements of the pack fit within standard baggage allowance dimensions. I've walked the Camino five times now and have always taken my pack as carry-on; the thought of arriving without it is not a risk I'm willing to take! (That adds up to something like 14-16 different flights, with several different airlines.)

I put everything in the body of the pack itself (nothing in the top flap pocket or in the outside front pocket for the flight), and put my heaviest objects in my second carry-on bag. This was difficult before Ryanair instituted their policy of allowing a second carry-on item. I remember my flight with them in 2012 when I even had to put my purse into the backpack! My pack usually weighs in between 8.5 and 9.5kg, depending on what souvenirs I have in there at the end. And I do often check my pack at the end of a Camino because a delay in its arriving (which thankfully has never happened) wouldn't be as much of an inconvenience.

I love my pack. It fits me beautifully, and although 55L might seem like tons of space, I much prefer to have everything inside my pack (nothing hanging off the outside). And it allows me to easily carry any extra food and water I might need or want; I like that the water I carry inside the pack in summer stays cold. Plus there is room for souvenirs at the end. :)

Happy shopping, and Buen Camino!

Rachel

For what it's worth my osprey exos 34 and 46 (mens small) measure at the frames' largest dimensions (i.e. Absolute limit on cinching): 18.5x14.5x4 in and 20.5x15x4 in. Not sure what the maker lists but that's fully packed. So a quick measure of the frame will tell you if the pack will fit, and how much packing room it leaves.
I know some have had lost luggage--I luckily did not but have many other trips arrived without luggage. So I gave myself two days of tourist time before my planned walk start date just in case luggage needed to be found (3 actually bc I also planned a day in SJPdP). I know many don't have that time but if you can build in at least one day so you can get organized and over jet lag (and most airlines can probably find your bag by then)
You may think you can avoid lost luggage by just taking a little-bit-too-large bag--but these days flights (in the US) are fully booked and they may make you check it at the gate which just increases the odds it will go missing. Everything I needed (except sleeping bag, poles, and knife) packed down very tightly--about the size of the frame, and smaller than most carry-ons. I checked bag, poles, and knife--I figured if they got lost for 48 hrs a substitute could be found in SJPdP (I didn't want to just buy them there if I didn't have to because I needed small poles and a REALLY warm bag that might be hard to find).
It seems many have taken poles in their carry-on. I did not want to risk confiscation of my carbon fiber z-poles, or more importantly, miss my flight, and I was checking the sleeping bag and my tourist clothes anyway. Maybe the TSA agents were just more stringent at DC area airports

@Camino2010 Hi Rachel! Thanks for sharing the info on your experiences traveling & hiking with your Jade. You mentioned the water inside your pack staying cold in summer? More details, please.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Camino2010 Hi Rachel! Thanks for sharing the info on your experiences traveling & hiking with your Jade. You mentioned the water inside your pack staying cold in summer? More details, please.

Sure! I've never used a refillable water bladder (I put other things in the water bladder pocket inside my pack), instead I carry two 500ml bottles in the side pockets. I prefer to buy bottled water as I go, then refill the bottles from fountains and taps along the way for a few days, then I go to the shop and buy replacement bottles to swap the old ones out. I know this is not as environmentally conscious as I could be, however, I don't trust being able to keep a water bladder clean (especially when I can't see inside it or scrub the insides of it). Same thing for reusable bottles which are usually made of non-see-through plastic or metal. To each their own on that one, I do reuse my bottles for a few days each time and I dispose of them in recycling bins as I go. I also like being able to reach for a bottle in its pocket when I'm thirsty, and I sometimes have a bottle of juice in there instead, or drinkable yogurt (or a chocolate milkshake). :)

When I'm walking on a particularly hot day, or if it's a long a stretch with few or no fountains, I buy one or two extra bottles of water and put them inside my pack. They come cold from the supermarket and they stay cold longer inside my pack than if they were strapped to the outside. Nothing too scientific but the cold water is so good on a hot hot day!

:)

What style/brand poles did you purchase in St. Jean? I am inconed to look for some after market poles here, but want my home poles and Camino poles to be the same or close to the same rather than having to get used to something different.

Btw, the waiting I can handle, it's the anticipation that creeps in through every crack in my train of thoughts like a stealthy hobo's daydream.

Last edited:
I did the Camino Frances last year with an off-brand 22l pack that included an internal 2 liter water reservoir. Even with a sleeping bag strapped to the bottom it just fell within carryon guidelines. Served me very well, and I'll be using it again on the Caminho Portugues next month. Since the airline lost my hiking poles/utility knife that I'd checked, I was very thankful to have gone with a pack that could be carried on to the plane.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Camino2010 Love the milkshake idea! I was sold on the hydration bladder until I started training for a charity walk daily & quickly grew tired of cleaning out what I couldn't see. Even water bottles that claimed to be taste free impart taste when t is hot. A YouTube gal, L?? Cowie, clips a pouch to her hip belt to hold an extra bottle. I was thinking of lining something similar or making a sleeve with a piece of insulated shopping bag to store cold water.

Enjoyed reading your posts! Thanks!

Sure! I've never used a refillable water bladder (I put other things in the water bladder pocket inside my pack), instead I carry two 500ml bottles in the side pockets. I prefer to buy bottled water as I go, then refill the bottles from fountains and taps along the way for a few days, then I go to the shop and buy replacement bottles to swap the old ones out. I know this is not as environmentally conscious as I could be, however, I don't trust being able to keep a water bladder clean (especially when I can't see inside it or scrub the insides of it). Same thing for reusable bottles which are usually made of non-see-through plastic or metal. To each their own on that one, I do reuse my bottles for a few days each time and I dispose of them in recycling bins as I go. I also like being able to reach for a bottle in its pocket when I'm thirsty, and I sometimes have a bottle of juice in there instead, or drinkable yogurt (or a chocolate milkshake). :)

When I'm walking on a particularly hot day, or if it's a long a stretch with few or no fountains, I buy one or two extra bottles of water and put them inside my pack. They come cold from the supermarket and they stay cold longer inside my pack than if they were strapped to the outside. Nothing too scientific but the cold water is so good on a hot hot day!

:)

Exactly what I do: great minds think alike and/or fools never differ :D Buen Camino, SY

Hi :)
Did you happen to notice if they had the collapsible poles in st Jean ?

Thanks
No Annie, I didn't and because I don't really care to walk with poles that much, what I purchased were very basic and not costly at all. The shop is across the street from the Pilgrim Office. He is excellent and has much knowledge. There is a huge inventory to choose from. I did train with my own poles before I left but never got used to them. As it turned out, the poles I bought went missing, but a very kind Hospitalero gave me one pole that had been left behind. Common sense prevailed and I accepted it with many thanks, then.. Voila!! I so enjoyed the one pole more. I did walk a lot without it, but couldn't have finished without it. It got me through some very challenging inclines and declines. Wish you Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What style/brand poles did you purchase in St. Jean? I am inconed to look for some after market poles here, but want my home poles and Camino poles to be the same or close to the same rather than having to get used to something different.

Btw, the waiting I can handle, it's the anticipation that creeps in through every crack in my train of thoughts like a stealthy hobo's daydream.
To be honest Suzi, I don't know what brand they were. I just wanted basic poles that were not too expensive. See my response to Annie's post. You have an amazing experience ahead. I wish heartfelt Buen Camino.

@Camino2010 Love the milkshake idea! I was sold on the hydration bladder until I started training for a charity walk daily & quickly grew tired of cleaning out what I couldn't see. Even water bottles that claimed to be taste free impart taste when t is hot. A YouTube gal, L?? Cowie, clips a pouch to her hip belt to hold an extra bottle. I was thinking of lining something similar or making a sleeve with a piece of insulated shopping bag to store cold water.

Enjoyed reading your posts! Thanks!

You're welcome, I'm happy for that!

I've seen various people with a pouch clipped to their hip belt, it's a pretty neat idea that seemed to work well for them. As for the chocolate milkshake, here's to my favourite thing for sale in the little convenience store in El Burgo Ranero... (I'd put the heart icon here if there were one, haha!)

DSC05887 (1204 x 903).jpg

Buying one of these to drink on the way to Reliegos has become a delicious tradition of mine. Then I buy one more when I get to Fisterra, to drink on the way to Muxia. ;)

Rachel

If your rucksack will stuff easily into one of those airline baggage sizer boxes or frames they have at most check-in counters and gate areas you should be fine. At the end of the day, the critical thing is whether it fits that space. The listed or actual physical dimensions are irrelevant, at least IMHO.

If you followed advice elsewhere in the Forum about having a feather weight day pack or tote bag to use for a range of utility purposes while on Camino, simply removing your medications, toiletries and electronics from the rucksack, shifting them to the tote, should make most any rucksack sized less than about 50 liters, fit the airline sizer-frame. You simply replace the items in the rucksack on arrival.

One example of such a really valuable tote is the Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." It rides on a shoulder, or cross-chest, has a zipper closing top, holds 16 liters, and compresses to tennis-ball size. Search for it on Amazon.com.

I have several of them in a range of colors. I use it on Camino for groceries on arriving in a town, a carry-on bag for flying, a day-bag for touring, a shopping bag, and a laundry bag. I think it will even hold water in a pinch, as a bucket...

I hope this helps...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked CF this April, all the way to Santiago.
Osprey Kyte 46, no problem as a carry on for Norweigan airline, EasyJet, Ryanair and Vueling.
With trekking poles and hydration system. Rain cover is included which is a big plus.

I brought a basic packable shopping tote with me, for shopping and around the city tourist activities.
No camara with me this time, I keep my iPhone in my jacket pocket.

@Suzi Wooldridge, hi

Most of my gear came from zPacks.com of Florida. While expensive (it is almost bespoke made) it fits the bill and is very light.

Relevant to your enquiry is the Arc Blast backpack. Using my wife's measuring tape, and with everything inside and the top rolled down and secured, it is 23in by 13in by 6in. It weighs 21 oz (595 g) and offers a main bag of 32 l with side pockets adding another 10 l or so. Their web site talks of 30 in height - I get that measurement with the roll top fully extended and open, not rolled down and closed.

I travel with everything inside and populate the side pockets when starting to walk.

I have also had made a roll top dry bag that can act as a liner but is large enough to have the backpack placed inside. This has a carry handle and means all belts and straps are enclosed and will not get caught on any baggage handling stuff.

I too carried the Z-pack Arc Blast. I carried it on Delta and Iberia, no problems. It is very light, about one lb. I rarely felt like I was carrying anything. I rolled the top down, which made it fit within the airline requirements. It takes about 6 weeks from the time you order to the time you receive it.

I highly recommend, but it is more expensive. For me, it was so worth it.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Waco! I lived there in the early 80s. Thanks for the info! I wondered if the 24L Sirrus (very highly rated) plus a lightweight add on (like Lug) would work. The 24L is more practical for me long term. My vacation is 3 weeks but only walking 16 days. Was there room for rain gear?[/QUOTE]

Yes to rain gear. Put my light rain pants in the pack cover pocket & jacket in top of pack or hung outside. We walked only 18 days (limited vacation days from work). I found the Sirrus 24L extremely comfortable to wear loaded with 14 lbs at most (6.4kg). Strapped my light down sleeping bag stuffed into dry bag on to bottom of pack (it has straps for this). The 24L rain cover is too small to fit over sleeping bag too so I used the dry sack (the Sirrus 36L cover does fit over everything).

Outside mesh pockets are rather small but managed to hold what I needed. I used collapsable Platypus-like 1L water bottle kept in mesh side pocket: not so easy to get in/out but my sister was walking with me so I had help.

How fun that you have also lived in Waco- small world. We actually live in China Spring- moved here in 2003. I work at Hillcrest hospital. Were you part of the Baylor community?

You're in for an amazing experience! Buen Camino

BTW, like cher99840 & Camino2010 I have used a Gregory Jade. I trained with the Jade for about 4 months but the longer I wore it & the more weight I added, the less comfortable it became. So I went back to REI & spent >2 hours with a great pack fitter. As soon as he put the weighted Sirrus 24L on me, I could feel the difference. Amazing. Each person's build & preferences are different so a knowledgable pack dealership is essential.

I have flown with an Ospray Talon 33 backpack as hand baggage multiple times on Easyjet, Ryanair and Air India. It's never been absolutely stuffed full. So far I have never even been asked to put it in the measuring frame. Ryanair have a reputation of being very strict on baggage size.

I have carried my Gregory z40 on planes all over the world for the past couple years... stuffed pretty heavily a couple times to Africa, across the US, across Europe, on the camino... I've got a few other packs, but the Gregory is my favorite. Very breathable, fits me well, and has great organization. Highly recommended if it fits you!

@Suzi Wooldridge I know your question pertained to two specific packs, but please don't limit yourself to a single brand. I have Osprey, Dueter, and Gregory backpacks. Which one I wear depends upon what I plan on carrying in it, thus where I'm going. I got along famously with my Gregory Jade 35 on the CF and will take it again. It goes with me as a carryon but I check my poles. Proper fit is so much more important than brand name.
Am in the process of choosing tween Gregory Jade 38 or Osprey Kyte 36. Finding that the Jade doesn't have the room because of the back support and the rain cover. Also MUCH shorter in comparison...how in the world were you able to work with the 35??? I LOVE the Jade color...makes me happy!! (silly but its true). Hoping pack to be carry on.

Am in the process of choosing tween Gregory Jade 38 or Osprey Kyte 36. Finding that the Jade doesn't have the room because of the back support and the rain cover. Also MUCH shorter in comparison...how in the world were you able to work with the 35??? I LOVE the Jade color...makes me happy!! (silly but its true). Hoping pack to be carry on.

I took the pack cover out and used that compartment for my very flexible shower shoes. Didn't need the pack cover as had my Altus. Also took a minimum of "stuff" that weighed about 13 pounds. Worked for me, but we are all different. I also have a Jade 28 and know someone who successfully made it with that. I loaded my stuff in it and it all fit, but left no room for snacks so I quickly abandoned the idea of downsizing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took the pack cover out and used that compartment for my very flexible shower shoes. Didn't need the pack cover as had my Altus. Also took a minimum of "stuff" that weighed about 13 pounds. Worked for me, but we are all different. I also have a Jade 28 and know someone who successfully made it with that. I loaded my stuff in it and it all fit, but left no room for snacks so I quickly abandoned the idea of downsizing.
Gd. idea for the pack cover....duh! Why didn't I think of that????? Thank you. Just realized a biggie .....the hip belt (and yes, I was assisted with the fit at the store) actually sits on my waist and touches the bottom rib cage bone. I do believe that is a deal breaker....?? or is this ok with the Gregory Jade??? Is this what yours does?

Gd. idea for the pack cover....duh! Why didn't I think of that????? Thank you. Just realized a biggie .....the hip belt (and yes, I was assisted with the fit at the store) actually sits on my waist and touches the bottom rib cage bone. I do believe that is a deal breaker....?? or is this ok with the Gregory Jade??? Is this what yours does?

Mine seems to fit where it is comfortable for me, definitely below the ribcage. My torso length is 17.5 and What works for me is M for Gregory and S for Osprey and Zpacks.

.the hip belt (and yes, I was assisted with the fit at the store) actually sits on my waist and touches the bottom rib cage bone.
The hip belt should sit on the hip. It transfers the weight of the pack to the hips and legs, so that very little is on your shoulders. You don't want it hugging around your waist. I have a short torso without much space between ribs and hipbone, but would still never have the hip belt touch my ribs.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mine seems to fit where it is comfortable for me, definitely below the ribcage. My torso length is 17.5 and What works for me is M for Gregory and S for Osprey and Zpacks.
Thanks for the info. What a learning journey this is.....

The hip belt should sit on the hip. It transfers the weight of the pack to the hips and legs, so that very little is on your shoulders. You don't want it hugging around your waist. I have a short torso without much space between ribs and hipbone, but would still never have the hip belt touch my ribs.
Thank you for this input, much appreciated....I thought I was correct in this logic. This definitely seals it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.