• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks

Flatcat

Ive been reading many post regarding sizes of packs,

Today at my local MEC store they had a Clarence of some great quality packs,
Gregory Baltoro 65
$80 off!

For my wife she has a 63l 2.4 kg bag
I have 65 l 2.5 kg bag

After reading I'm feeling that they may be heavy, they fit awesome and our very comfortable,
I'm 215lbs so maybe I'll take more of a load than her!
Any options!
( big bag but I don't have to over load it )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Load it up and carry it around...All Day!
You will know soon enough if you have the right pack.
You may find that your packs are a bit large and heavy.
I love my Deuter Futura Pro 34L. It is designed for women and weighs about 1.7kg.
I did not fill it and was able to cinch down the compression straps so it was relatively small.
Also, I like the frame design...the pack does not rest directly on your back.
There are much lighter packs available...Osprey is very popular.
Go to your local outdoor store and try some on, fully loaded of course.
Your back pack is one of your most important items. Don't settle if you don't have to.
Happy shopping!

I have a 35l Vaude backpack, light and more than enough capacity. 10-12 kilo of gear, clothes, accessories, the occasional souvenir, half a baguette and some cheese a bottle of wine will all disappear into a 65l bag and you may never see them again! One last thought, Spain is a modern European country presently undergoing several financial distress but Europe not Nepal not Mozambique. Anything you could possibly want need or desire is easily found, 215? Well maybe finding clothes, most Spanish are not in that league but there is no sense filling your bag with things which can be found in any town or good sized village if and when needed just for the reason that it will go in.
PS Almost anybody can load up and due say 20k with an overloaded backpack for a day or two, can you do it for five weeks?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Flatcat said:
Ive been reading many post regarding sizes of packs,

Today at my local MEC store they had a Clarence of some great quality packs,
Gregory Baltoro 65
$80 off!

For my wife she has a 63l 2.4 kg bag
I have 65 l 2.5 kg bag

After reading I'm feeling that they may be heavy, they fit awesome and our very comfortable,
I'm 215lbs so maybe I'll take more of a load than her!
Any options!
( big bag but I don't have to over load it )

Wow...your bag weighs 2.5kg (5.5 lbs)??
That is a big chunk of what I like to carry.

Would recommend looking for a pack between 35 and 45 liters and aiming for a total pack weight of 5-8 kilos, unless you plan to use luggage transfer services.

65 liters is better suited to backpacking expeditions in which you need to carry days worth of food, camping supplies, stove, etc. and have pack weights of 15-25 kilos.

Great advice to put on your pack and walk with it all day. There is a big difference between just walking and walking with a pack. I made that mistake and took me quite some time on the Camino to figure out all of the adjustments to make, how to properly load it and to finally decide to part with some things that I forgot about 2 minutes after I got rid of them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thx for the quick replies!
I'll look at smaller packs today
I saw a 44L 1.6kg for the wife
And a 51L 1.7kg for myself
This is lighter model and still build well
Clint

So I downsized and saved a lot of $$$
I bought the 44L for the wife and a 51L for myself,
Both about 2 pounds lighter at 1.6kg

Thx to all for the advise!

Flatcat, you'll have no problems with your new backpack size wise, I managed comfortably with a 45 L pack covering the last 150 kms of Camino Frances this year and was able to find room for a notebook and charger and a 2 litre bladder pack which was carried full starting each day and other than for drying purposes had no need to carry anything in the outside webbing of my pack. If not a regular hiker, I think it's a good idea to try to start any physical preparation by doing 1 nice trail walk a week in addition to any other training you have in mind, start by carrying about 40 to 50% of your Camino weight in it and increase the weight by about 10% each month so by the time you start your Camino you'll have had several months experience carrying your full intended weight and if this is proving too much then you'll have plenty of time to reconsider your packing list essentials, same would apply to the distance on your prep hikes - start with a distance you feel comfortable covering and month on month increase by about 10%.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
kaixo said:
Load it up and carry it around...All Day!
You will know soon enough if you have the right pack.
You may find that your packs are a bit large and heavy.
I love my Deuter Futura Pro 34L. It is designed for women and weighs about 1.7kg.
I did not fill it and was able to cinch down the compression straps so it was relatively small.
Also, I like the frame design...the pack does not rest directly on your back.
There are much lighter packs available...Osprey is very popular.
Go to your local outdoor store and try some on, fully loaded of course.
Your back pack is one of your most important items. Don't settle if you don't have to.
Happy shopping!

Hi kaixo
Great to hear you use the Deuter Futura
It seldom gets mentioned on the forum but I also use one and have for many years.
Yes it's built for women but I am 1800mm man and have used it for CF in 2009, many multi day walks in Australia and NZ plus almost every week on business travel.
Have just done some running repairs to it as aiming to do CF again next April
Everyone has their favourite packs and I think living out of packs on the road creates almost a relationship between the pack and the owner. Hence so many opinions.
Safe walking
Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Yallah" "Would recommend looking for a pack between 35 and 45 liters and aiming for a total pack weight of 5-8 kilos, unless you plan to use luggage transfer services."

Couldn't agree more. I got rid of stuff till I got down to about 7-8 k. The same little guy would pass me up each day point to his pack and say "sechs kilos". The first day it annoyed me. I finally got the message. I think he must have been an angel.

supersullivan said:
Flatcat, you'll have no problems with your new backpack size wise, I managed comfortably with a 45 L pack covering the last 150 kms of Camino Frances this year and was able to find room for a notebook and charger and a 2 litre bladder pack which was carried full starting each day and other than for drying purposes had no need to carry anything in the outside webbing of my pack. If not a regular hiker, I think it's a good idea to try to start any physical preparation by doing 1 nice trail walk a week in addition to any other training you have in mind, start by carrying about 40 to 50% of your Camino weight in it and increase the weight by about 10% each month so by the time you start your Camino you'll have had several months experience carrying your full intended weight and if this is proving too much then you'll have plenty of time to reconsider your packing list essentials, same would apply to the distance on your prep hikes - start with a distance you feel comfortable covering and month on month increase by about 10%.

Buen Camino

Seamus
Thx, we're not big hikers, we've ran 5 Marathons in the last 3 years but never with weight on our backs, so yes we'll train well ahead of time with some weight in our packs!
I'm more than comfortable with our new bags, there quite light, comfy and we'll have to learn to pack only the essentially !
We may have to leave our wine decanter at home lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Blanket recommendations of so many kg or litres make absolutely no sense. Body mass, season, resilience and whether you can really afford the expensive really lightweight gear all make a difference.

The CSJ website recommends no more than 15% of body weight, and the Complete Walker IV (an American classic) recommends 20% from the skin out (ie with clothes, boots and other worn equipment) for comfortable trekking. These work out to be much the same target weight.

A lighter person (<60kg) who has good cold tolerance (resilience) able to afford lightweight gear and walking in summer could reasonably expect to be able to get down to a 6kg pack weight on the Camino Frances, even less if they carry little food.

A larger person (>80kg) who isn't so resilient walking in autumn and with some lightweight gear might expect to carry over double that. Carrying food for a couple of days will add even more if they are walking one of the routes where there are less towns and villages to purchase meals or provisions.

These calculations are based on the algorithm suggested by the authors of The Complete Walker IV. This algorithm gives results consistent with my trekking and pilgrimage experience, and is also consistent with what I have known other pilgrims to achieve.

For example, all the gear that I needed on the Camino Frances in early spring fits comfortably into a Deuter Guide 45+ pack (it expands to 55li if needed) and in that pack weighs just over 10kg with an allowance of 2kg for water and food. I am about 90kg although I should probably lose some, but this means the overall load is well within the 15% CSJ recommended maximum.

I do agree with the general point being made to reduce pack size and weight. Generally, the lighter one can pack, the faster one can walk comfortably. One can either cover greater distances in a walking day, or cover the required distances quicker and shorten the walking day.

When it's comes to pack weight, I've decided to take this approach. I went online and saw that a luggage scale costs about $20 dollars. I then took that $20 dollars and put it into my Camino food and booze budget. I've decided to just go for a pack weight that feels comfortable, not a pack weight that conforms to some arbitrary rule like 10% or 15% or whatever percent of my body weight.

I bought the Osprey Kestral 48. It's light, feels good to wear, has all the features I wanted, and fits in my budget. (You can get it on amazon for $152 right now, which is about $17 dollars cheaper than most places.) My advice would be to stop worrying about what your pack weighs, and just focus on how it feels. Pack it with all the stuff you want to take, go on training walks like that, and see how it feels. You might find that 15% is much too heavy for you. Or you might find that you can pack that extra jacket or whatever you're leaving out and still be comfortable. Also, play around with how you are packing your backpack. You might find it's not so much about weight, but how that weight is arranged.

At 215 lbs I won't be packing 15% of my body weight haha,
I'm going to do my best to keep it at around 10%!!
20lbs give or take including my Bag!
I just have to learn how to back lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
jeffnd said:
When it's comes to pack weight, I've decided to take this approach. I went online and saw that a luggage scale costs about $20 dollars. I then took that $20 dollars and put it into my Camino food and booze budget. I've decided to just go for a pack weight that feels comfortable, not a pack weight that conforms to some arbitrary rule like 10% or 15% or whatever percent of my body weight.
Great approach Jeff! I can fully appreciate the reasoning and methods to contribute to the food and booze budget!

As for me, I've packed my same 32l bag with about 7.5kg for all my summer travels since '04 including 3 Caminos. This is what works for me. If I need to something I didn't bring, I'm able to find or do without.

I like to train with heavier weight than what I'll be carrying. By the time I'm ready to travel and sort out only what I'll "need", life is much easier.

One thing I've always wondered about is when we talk about limiting our backpacks to a certain percentage of our body weight, we don't make a distinction about fat weight vs. muscle weight. Now, I have to say you could get too obsessed with this sort of data. But it occurred to me that if an overweight person feels he/she can carry more weight in a pack than if he or she were of normal weight, that might not make a lot of sense considering that overweight person will have to move a lot of extra fat along the camino. Or in reverse, I am slightly below normal in weight but am working out a lot and losing weight, and I keep thinking, oh, no, this means I can't take that third pair of socks!

I went to my doctor today for a routine visit and he wants me to take some sort of protein powder to build muscle mass for the camino. Sounded strange to me.

You wouldn't know it to look at me now but at one time I was 5lbs to light for my height, to join the US Airforce. I weighed barely 100lbs at 5'4" and I am a guy!!!
In order to get in the doc had me have the protein powder with Milk, 1 raw egg with shell, 1 banana, and Orange juice made into a smoothy in a blender. It did work to not only put on weight but muscle mass as well. Took less than a month if I remember right (it was back in1977 after all).

Later it was determined that I was so thin due to a chronic disease that causes me to lose between 3-5lbs a day when it is active. Docs have said that it is best for me to carry extra weight. Found I loved German beer and now I am carrying to much and not muscle mass any more. :-(

My thoughts are that if you need muscle mass to carry your pack then do as your doc suggests. You will build up your muscles during training and the walk but would be best to start with some. Your doc is probably looking at your stats against standards for your height and making the suggestion based on your pilgrimage plans.

Tony

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
lbpierce said:
One thing I've always wondered about is when we talk about limiting our backpacks to a certain percentage of our body weight, we don't make a distinction about fat weight vs. muscle weight.
Linda, this is a very good point, and it has been made before, but tends to get lost in the rest of the discussion. I would consider calculating one's ideal walking weight based on a BMI of 25, and then using that to calculate a pack weight or FSO target weight.

Say I am a couple of stone over my BMI 25 weight of 75kg. If I used my BMI weight, then a 20% FSO target would be 15kg, or using the CSJ 15% figure, I would target a pack weight maximum of just under 11kg. Using actual body mass would give targets of 18kg (FSO 20%) or 13.5kg (CSJ 15%).

Small differences between current and one's ideal walking weight might make little difference, but for many of us, there may be an advantage in choosing a target based on the lower weight.

Regards,

Ping,

a BMI of 25 appears to be used as the upper limit of the normal range in most BMI literature, expect that some use it as the lower end of the overweight zone. I would love to get back there, and I won't be too fussed whichever way its interpreted.

You don't say whether your current pack weights are for summer, spring or winter walking. I found on my latest pilgrimage that when I packed the recommended load for St Olav's Way, including my warm pack (~700gm) and extra food, I was well into the spring range of pack weight, and I was getting close to FSO 20 for my whole load, and a bit over when I packed food for the five day stretch across the Dovrefjell mountains.

I might add that the warm pack remained sealed as I was able to layer my other gear to give me the warmth, wind and rain protection I needed, and the recommendation to carry five days food really only applys if one were camping, and was not particularly appropriate if one used the available hostels, hotels, camp ground huts, etc where dinner, breakfast and lunch could all be obtained.

Your other point about your FSO figure illustrates one of the big advantages of using this approach. It gives an opportunity to examine all the items one is taking. I know my boot selection ranges from just under 1kg/pair through to 2.2kg/pair. I wouldn't consider wearing the lightest pair for multi-day walks, and the heaviest pair are for really serious four season walking in rough conditions. The Asolo 535TP boots I wore in Norway are 1.8kg, but I think that is too heavy for the bulk of the Camino.

I also like the FSO approach because it sets everyone on the same basis. It's hard to fib that one's pack weight is ever so light when in reality the kilogram or so of rain jacket, fleece and gaiters are being counted as worn items, and not part of the pack :)

Backpacks are a very personal piece of equipment.
I already owned a larger Gregory pack when I was planning my first camino. It is really beautifully built out of bullet proof material but I thought it was too big.
I chose a 30L Arcteryx pack and it has been my companion for a total of 110 days on various caminos. Just starting to be a little worn in spots, but many more good days left in it.

Let your pack, footwear, and walking poles become your friends.
Enjoy them. take care of them, and they will take care of you.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It has occurred to me that using a percentage of body weight for pack weight makes some sense: bigger people have bigger (i.e. heavier) clothes. Smaller people, smaller clothes. :)

Gregory has a lightweight version, it is the Z65 and the max comfortable weight is around 45 Lbs. But that is my backpacking pack. For the Camino I have a Z40 for me and a Jade Z38 for my wife.

By reading the forum posts it is not like a backpack trip but at most an overnight light trip. No tents, cooking gear, etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All I can say is: three walks, three packs (each lighter than the last). But now that I've found the Osprey Exos 46 (weight 1.05 kg in the Medium length), I won't be buying a new pack for walk #4. And it survived my falls in the Czech Republic this year with only a minor scratch - really very sturdy!

This is on another thread in a slightly different form but I'll add it here again.:-
Our packs weigh around 1.6kg (mens) and 1.06kg (womens). They were tried for fit, back length etc and both have an airflow frame. One is 40-45lt and the other 30lt capacity and both hold as much as we want/are able to carry. So first importance is the fit, with items packed in. Borrowed from the store or took a selection with us when buying.

When packing we put in the 'must haves' from our list. Then we add in our fleeces, which we would be wearing when cold, so that we are carrying a 'hot day' load, including water. This soon gives a good idea of what is a good top weight and comfortable pack. That weight for us is approx 8 -9kg and 6 -6.5kg. (Terry carries my sleeping bag 750gms)

For practise we use smaller packs much of the time so as not to wear out our Camino packs, but they are not as comfortable as they are shorter in the back.

PingHansen said:
capun said:
By reading the forum posts it is not like a backpack trip but at most an overnight light trip. No tents, cooking gear, etc.
Yes and no. Equipment wise, it is much like an overnight trip. But it's walking day after day after day, so you'll really appreciate a better pack and lighter gear than for an overnighter.

The new trend (and we are trying to teach our scouts) is to go to lighter and multipurpose gear for 3-day backpack trips. If using lightweight gear the Z40 should be good for a 3-day trip if you don't go in extreme conditions. It weights 1.5 Kg and should be comfortable up to 15 Kg. We are planning to keep our Camino weight to no more than 10 Kg including 2L of water.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.