• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks

BillyB

Time of past OR future Camino
april 2016
I am shopping for a backpack for my april trip. I have been looking at the osprey lite weights. The 58 lt and 48lt basically are the same weight. 2.4 and 2.8 lbs. Is there a disadvantage of buying a larger pack?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, that you pack too much into it ;-) Also make sure that it fits YOUR back when fully loaded. I assume you are going to walk the Camino Francés, in that case, unless you have especially bulky things that are absolutely vital to you a 48l pack is more than enough. Buen Camino, SY

Weight is the most reliable way to wear out your body so if you have issues it will show up, day after day just wears on those joints. Unless your spry. I used an Osprey 48l pack it was great had room to throw whatever, however I needed. If you concentrate no more than 10% off body weight you should be fine. Unless you have a history of injury.
But if your spry the only reason to go larger would be if you plan on a future long distance wilderness trip, yet if you can afford the Camino you should be able to afford a bigger pack after the Camino. So 33l to 48L pick your pack just depends on how organized you want to be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would go for a 35L backpack. It holds everything I NEED. I have Berghaus and I like it. German quality gets me all the time :). Initially, I had a 45L backpack and ..... it used to be full all the time... with things I really could have done without. Just a few basic necessities of good quality is OK for me. Buen Camino :)

Yes, that you pack too much into it ;-) Also make sure that it fits YOUR back when fully loaded. I assume you are going to walk the Camino Francés, in that case, unless you have especially bulky things that are absolutely vital to you a 48l pack is more than enough. Buen Camino, SY
@SYates is right, it is tempting to fill whatever pack you take.

There is plenty of good advice on other threads about how you might determine what size pack you might need, but the advice in this thread should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have asked for over four years for someone to point me to an authoritative source for the so called 10% guideline. No-one has so far, but people repeat it nonetheless. My take is that it is a useful target for bare pack weight in summer - but you might add 25% for walking in spring or autumn. From the skin out (FSO) measures are better, and you will find discussion about these if you search for them here or on the web generally.

As for recommending a particular pack size when the poster doesn't explain anything about their body weight, whether they were using average, light, or ultralight gear, what their tolerance to cold might be, and any of the other factors that might help you - I have never understood how that helps when you might not be walking in the same season, weigh more, etc, etc.

My target walking weight is 85kg, and I walked in spring (Mar/Apr/May). I am relatively resilient, and carry reasonably light gear, but I am a bit geeky and carry a GPS and camera as well as a phone. I have a couple of medical conditions and carry a relatively complete medical pack that adds a bit of weight and volume. I also carry a sleeping bag (~1 kg) in spring, which adds about 4 li to my gear volume. My current camino pack is a 45+ Deuter Guide - a bit heavy at 1.8kg, but it had a much more comfortable harness than any of the other packs in this size available on the local market at the time.

There is a reasonable pack volume calculator here (http://www.backpacking-guide.com/hiking-backpacks.html). I recommend that you set the days to two for a camino, and use your ideal walking weight rather than your current weight if you are a bit overweight.

And finally, if you have too much at the start, be prepared to leave stuff behind or post it home. Carrying less, up to a point, is always better.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
... I have asked for over four years for someone to point me to an authoritative source for the so called 10% guideline. No-one has so far, but people repeat it nonetheless....

What would you consider to be an 'authoritative source'? SY

Last edited:
I say go for whatever one fits you the best and is the most comfortable for you.
I wore a 75L pack on our Camino last March and I loved it. It fit me well and because it was rated to hold a lot of weight, it was very comfortable. It would've driven me crazy to have to pack my gear in my rucksack like a game of Tetris; this has to go in this way, that has to go in that way, etc.
Yes, you have to be smart and avoid the temptation to over fill it but once you start training you'll soon see if you've packed too much.
Merry Christmas and Buen Camino!

Ron

I am shopping for a backpack for my april trip. I have been looking at the osprey lite weights. The 58 lt and 48lt basically are the same weight. 2.4 and 2.8 lbs. Is there a disadvantage of buying a larger pack?
Hey BillyB, I walked in April/May this year with an Osprey Stratos 36 litre pack. It was a tight fit (including sleeping bag), but like a lot of first timers I packed more than I needed. Will be using the same pack next year but with a lot less in it.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a good question. When I first asked, it was suggested by someone that the CSJ site recommended 10%. It might have at some point, but by the time I checked, the advice there was 10-15% and less than 10kg. It now suggests different things, the 10% as a rule of thumb in one place, 10-15% elsewhere, and 10-12kg as a maximum. It has limited discussion about adjustments from summer to winter.

A couple of years ago, I packed the gear lists provided on the CSJ site, and just the gear alone on their recommendation weighed more than 10% of my target walking weight before it was put into a backpack!

I prefer to use The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins (CW4). It considers a number of factors like weight, resilience and season in its advice, and the formula used by the Backpacking Guide site I suggested earlier is based on the formula proposed in CW4. The Essential Hillwalker's Guide by Kevin Walker and Peter Steele provides general advice without getting into specifics. Some allowance needs to be made for the specifics of camino walking compared to bush or hill walking. Inasmuch as the major part of this is going to be food and its associated preparation equipment, and shelter, using bare pack weight calculations (ie less consumables) is probably reasonable.

CW4 also suggests a range of from the skin out (FSO) 'targets' and what they might mean in terms of the effect of higher loads on walking speed and endurance.

There are a number of good general resources from various government trials establishments now available on the web that go to the general propositions that are often repeated here like a ounce on the feet is worth five on the back, and to walk far carry less. I am much less enamored of the 'comparison trials' conducted by walking magazines and others where it is not clear that the test methodologies would withstand any reasonable scrutiny. As qualitative assessments of the equipment that they have been provided, they are reasonable, but often don't go to the underlying principles in play.

Last edited:
I say go for whatever one fits you the best and is the most comfortable for you.
I wore a 75L pack on our Camino last March and I loved it. It fit me well and because it was rated to hold a lot of weight, it was very comfortable. It would've driven me crazy to have to pack my gear in my rucksack like a game of Tetris; this has to go in this way, that has to go in that way, etc.
Yes, you have to be smart and avoid the temptation to over fill it but once you start training you'll soon see if you've packed too much.

Ron

The way I see it is like this with a 75L backpack its a very versatile backpack you can carry your partners pack, you can use as a sleeping bag/tent (saving weight and money):), you can carry a pilgrim or two in case of emergency, you could pack food for 30 days if you forgo the sleeping bag/tent and save money too you carry other pilgrims backpacks for cash the list is endless, for me a 75L backpack would take me way to long find my three season 3.5kg worth of stuff LOL :)

zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whatever pack you decide on keep in mind that you may loose a few inches at the waist and allow for that. Personally 7 days in I cinched my waistband as tight as I could, only thing left to do was to wedge something between me and the belt or eat more - I happily indulged, i mean obliged the latter.

In 2012 I used a 60l Blaze by Granitegear. I still have it and its a great pack. Well built and designed. I really didn't need the extra room though. 60l is a lot for the CDS unless I'm camping. It's still my go to sierra backpack. For this May CDS, I bought the Osprey Exos 48l and I gotta say it's the best designed pack I've ever owned, and I'm a pack addict. I'm using it for my training walks/hikes and it fits perfectly. No need to pack like a tetra. Everything that goes into my pack is first placed in a silnylon bag. clean clothes, dirty clothes, jacket, socks, electronics, first-aid, everything has a bag. Keeps everything in order and easy to pack/unpack AND it adds an extra layer of waterproofness. As far as the "10% rule". For each his own. But, I carry what I need. I do seek out and buy ultra-lite gear, but, I carry whatever I need. Don't NOT carry something because it exceeds the 10%. Simply access what you need and carry it. I.e in 2012, I didn't carry a lite weight pair of walking around shoes, this time I will.

Last edited:
Thanks for the calculator link, Doug! Amusingly I entered my weight in kg and was told to take a fanny pack! I was shocked - but then realised I had to convert my weight into pounds! Ha ha! So now I know I need a day pack!:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2012 I used a 60l Blaze by Granitegear. I still have it and its a great pack. Well built and designed. I really didn't need the extra room though. 60l is a lot for the CDS unless I'm camping. It's still my go to sierra backpack. For this May CDS, I bought the Osprey Exos 48l and I gotta say it's the best designed pack I've ever owned, and I'm a pack addict. I'm using it for my training walks/hikes and it fits perfectly. No need to pack like a tetra. Everything that goes into my pack is first placed in a silnylon bag. clean clothes, dirty clothes, jacket, socks, electronics, first-aid, everything has a bag. Keeps everything in order and easy to pack/unpack AND it adds an extra layer of waterproofness. As far as the "10% rule". For each his own. But, I carry what I need. I do seek out and buy ultra-lite gear, but, I carry whatever I need. Don't NOT carry something because it exceeds the 10%. Simply access what you need and carry it. I.e in 2012, I didn't carry a lite weight pair of walking around shoes, this time I will.
Thank you,
This makes a lot of sense. I really liked the Exos 48L too. decision made!

How well I know that different seasons require different gear. My 32L Deuter barely accommodated me for November, honestly. I do love the pack though, and it forced me to pack frugally. I will say that when I purchased it, I was planning a September walk on El Camino de Santiago; because of family plans, I had to switch to October through mid-November.

32 L was not quite big enough for me in an Autumn walk, but I decided to get frugal about what I felt I needed. In early October, the really hot days--and there were many of them--inspired me to ship my sleeping bag to Santiago, a decision I would mildly regret through the cold nights in November. At that point, I would sleep fully clothed in everything, with one buff around my neck and one on my head--with a rain jacket and a poncho spread over me.

If I had a pack purchase to do again, it would be a 35-38 L size. That said, I now love my pack, and will probably use it again (and again).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can be proud of yourself @CaminoDebrita ! Walking with a 32l pack in October/November is a great achievement in self-restriction! Buen Camino, SY
I learned to pack from a) this site b) your book! So, you could say that I had very good support.

A side note: about six days in, I purchased a pair of hiking sandals that I only used once or twice. I had a foot-swelling issue, and had been forced to walk some hours in crocs, and decided to get something proper I could hike in when the boots did not work. I learned that my swelling was due to not drinking enough water, and my body was back on track in short order (and I was again in the bushes, trees, and behind structures!). When I got exceptionally ill after Zubiri, I wasn't drinking enough fluids.

Anyway, the Tevas added at LEAST a kilo, as I have big feet, and they are heavy. They took up a lot of my pack room, but I decided to go for the martyrdom approach and just carry the weight!

I packed very well, but next time, will not bother with gators or with a spork. Like Doug, I also carry a fairly sizable pack of medications, but next time, I'll not pack as many OTC's. I had too many of the items such as antidiarrheals. Really, three of any of that type of medication is plenty, given how plentiful items are in Spain. I did find that having extras of that type of stuff also tended to make other hikers dependent--when you have people asking you for stuff while you are in Pamplona, come on! Walk thee to a pharmacy, people.

Arn suggested I invest in a wide-toothed comb for my next Camino, as I lamented to him that I was developing dreadlocks, ha ha! just in the back, just in the back ;)

Ron
Yes! Each person decides what works for them.

Merry Christmas!

These are questions you should be asking yourself as only you truly know the answer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rucksacks SUCK! The empty space just vacuums gear in....or at least it seems that way...:eek:

After doing three Caminos (Frances 2x, Porto > Santiago 1x) with my trusty Osprey Kestrel 48 liter rucksack, I have determined that Camino #4 will be attempted with a ripstop nylon, 35 liter, French-made, Elemeterre rucksack. I bought it earlier this year in France. I have traveled with it several times, but not yet on Camino. It feels right...

As a tall (183 cm) stout (115 kg) fellow, the 48 liter pack was sufficient to contain all my stuff. But, as I became better at compressing and packing, more stuff kept getting sucked into the bag. Ivar loves it because every time I walk, I mail more and more boxes down the road to him. In 2o13, I sent two "mediana" Caya Verde boxes through the Correos. In 2o14 it was three. In 2015, for a 10-day Camino, I actually shipped FOUR boxes down the road. This is starting to get embarrassing... You would be surprised at just how unimportant all that "just-in-case" gear is. BY the time I crossed the border from Portugal into Spain earlier this year, I was down to one pair of slacks, two shirts, two underwear changes and three sock changes. As I was wearing one set of everything, this made for a lighter load. THAT in my view was "going Commando." It is my new clothing performance model.

I am reminded that the optimum Rucksack will weigh "virtually nothing" when empty, yet be able to contain your necessary gear. Also, it is an element of vanity, but I try to avoid "dangly bits." These are the items that hang about the outside of your rucksack and annoy you as you walk. Strapped-down items on top and bottom, as well as items stuffed and held firmly in side pockets, are fine. But, dangly, swinging bits just look amateurish to me...IMHO...

To secure my gear on top, bottom, or the sides of my rucksacks, I use bright-colored stretch shoe lace cords, with spring loaded clasps. Alternatively, this could be a very good second use for carrying spare shoelaces. Whatever cord or laces you use to lash items, could also work when not walking, as an expedient clothesline...I have done this and it does work well. In fact, many veterans state that every item you carry should have at least TWO clearly defined uses. Single-use items are not carried... Just one school of thought...

So, on the short, 2015 Camino, by the time I arrived at Santiago, my 48 liter pack was only about 2/ 3 full. Using straight line logic, 2/3 x 48 liters = 32 liters "mas o menas." Hence the 35 liter Elementerre rucksack, with no dangly bits, is next up to play, in 2016. If that still proves too large, I have a 30 liter Millet rucksack I bought on sale, in Santiago this past summer.

For gear-evaluation , I also picked up a pair of Ribz side bags to test on my next Camino. They hold 5.5 liters EACH, combined total 11 liters. It looks like a valid method for shifting weight from back to front to improve balance, and keeping everything I might need during the day's walking ready to hand. Only overnight and rare use items would go in the smaller rucksack. I will report later in the year, after I have used the Ribz bag system. They have received some praise on the forum, The piqued my interest. So, I will try them.

This said, and for the benefit of new forum members, DougFitz is THE rucksack loading expert. He has worked this out to almost a science. Also, SYates is among the most experienced Camino veterans. So, I would heed both their advice. I did in earlier years. Of course, I am still a work in progress. I still make tenderfoot mistakes. My back and knees continue to pay for these lessons.;)

I hope this helps the dialog...

Last edited:
Much like going to a shoe store to be fitted for shoes, go to an outfitter to be fitted for a good backpack. You will be happy you did. The 48l Osprey is a good choice for an April Camino Frances, though perhaps a bit large, depending on the size of your sleeping bag--the bulkiest item in the pack. Too, as others have said, what other uses may you have for the pack and can you afford multiple packs? My wife cringes at the thought of how many I have.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have 5 packs from 15 litres to 65 litres which cover all my outdoor activities. I only use my 65 litre Berghaus pack for camping trips. For the Camino in Spring, Summer or Autumn, the choice would be either my 35 litre Berghaus Capacitor or 48 litre Osprey Exos. Both are very comfortable and loaded with my basic essentials would weigh in at around 5 to 6 Kgs.

It all comes down to personal choice, how basic you intend your pilgrimage to be and the time of year you choose to walk.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Whatever pack you decide on keep in mind that you may loose a few inches at the waist and allow for that. Personally 7 days in I cinched my waistband as tight as I could, only thing left to do was to wedge something between me and the belt or eat more - I happily indulged, i mean obliged the latter.
I had the same experience, but no matter how much I "indulged" I never gained the waistline back until I got home and back to my regular routine. But on the Camino, with the hip belt sliding down past my hips, I took a pair of extra socks and duct-taped them to the inside of the hip belt to make up for lost inches.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am dying to see your packing list! FSO pretty please. SY

Wearing merino tech tshirt (new Icebreaker 150 cool & lite), mid shorts with pockets, merino underpants, socks (barefoot and/or thin), trail runners
Carrying merino tech tshirt, underpants x2, barefoot socks x3, thin socks x3, rain top; silk liner, running shorts and small towel;
Norte guidebooks from Cicerone and CSJ and pilgrim's record; soap, deodorant, money belt, earplugs and plasters;
Sigg bottles x2 in outside pockets and liquid (up to 1.5L bottles x2) inside; couple of small dry bags
And finally, say 300g chocolate, a couple of power bars and container of hydration tablets

Thank you,
This makes a lot of sense. I really liked the Exos 48L too. decision made!
Exos 48 is what I walk with and I love it. Light and lots of spare room on a 'normal' camino but will take camping equipment on a longer trek. Enjoy and buen camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This October I walked with talon 33 which was like 1/3 empty even with all in on warm/hot days. Talon 33 was a reduction from deuter futura pro 42 which started, well full, and ended half empty during preparations. Moreover it turned out that it not really fits cabin baggage dimensions (just used a cardboard box to make my own tester), so there I had another incentive (4 flights, transfers, new backpack was only a little bit more expensive than additional costs, just thought I point that out).
For next walk I'm going to use another talon, this time 22. It had already arrived and I've walked quite a lot with all Camino stuff comfortably in. Worked great.
Then again at 1,7m (5'6) I don't need much, even with down sleeping bag + luxury items like kindle or compact camera.
As always: to each his own.
Oh, I like to read Doug's or SYates's posts (and book, ty).

We love our Aarn 35 litre packs. We learnt to travel light on our first camino when we ended up posting stuff on to Santiago- it's so common that the post offices even have "Pilgrim Boxes" for sale. Now we carry the absolute minimum, and don't forget that Spain is a first world country where you can buy anything you find you really need.

After many experiences, starting with a 66liters 17 kilos I now use either a an osprey Talon 33 or a Deuter AC Aera 30 and the average wheight is 5 kilos max including sleeping bag. Which is enough for me for a trip of about 1500 kms on caminos.
Gilles

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One common theme from lots of the posts is that people first started out with a larger backpack and, with each additional Camino, have downsized - to encourage those of you who have not yet walked to choose a smaller backpack safe in the knowledge that it can be done

I used a 35L backpack (LL Bean) last March/April. It was a tight fit, and I ended up tying a bag on the top to put food in, and my jacket and rain jacket were on the outside by the end of warm afternoons. My son also had a 35L pack and so we shared some things such as shampoo, a knife, soap etc. If it had been warmer I think the 35L would have been fine. -- I am eyeing a slightly larger pack for hikes here in the US where I'll need to pack a tent.

I'd definitely go with the smaller size. It should provide more than enough room.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And how much was the empty weight of it? SY
Hi SY,
Sorry, I have no idea what it weighs. There's lots of people on this site who know what weight they're carrying down to the gram. Even some that will cut their toothbrush in half to save weight! That's just not me. We had done lots of training prior to leaving so the contents of my ruck were well thought out and weight was never an issue.
Also, lots of people say that if you have the extra room in your ruck, you'll fill it. That's not me either. I have plenty of self control and more than enough common sense not to do that. (As an aside, I never carry a balance on my credit card either. Am I weird?? )

Ron

After many experiences, starting with a 66liters 17 kilos I now use either a an osprey Talon 33 or a Deuter AC Aera 30 and the average wheight is 5 kilos max including sleeping bag. Which is enough for me for a trip of about 1500 kms on caminos.
Gilles

I use the same Aera 30 and found it perfect, plus, it fits all overhead compartments even Ryanair! It forced me to pack light and right.

I used an Osprey Kestrel 32L and had room for crocs on the inside during my summer trip. My dry weight, including dslr, 3 lenses, and iPad mini, was 12.5 lbs. Next year, no iPad mini, maybe simplify my camera gear, I'm thinking Talon 22 or 33 . I have a Deuter Speedlite 20L that is my go to pack for summer day hikes here in Montana, I wish they made that pack in a 30L with a hip belt similar to the Kestrels.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would go for a 35L backpack. It holds everything I NEED. I have Berghaus and I like it. German quality gets me all the time :). Initially, I had a 45L backpack and ..... it used to be full all the time... with things I really could have done without. Just a few basic necessities of good quality is OK for me. Buen Camino :)

German quality can be brilliant but Berghaus . . . . made in England :)

The Camino is not like the PCT or the APT. You don't need a lot of gear and you don't need a big pack. I've noticed that a lot of the Outdoor stores, like REI, are now using a measuring/fitting device to fit a pack. You might want to look for that to help get a good fit. I selected and use a Osprey Talon 44 but a 36 to 38 liter pack would have worked just as well. Mine is very light and s, so gar, durable but as others have stated, you must use restraint when loading it. You will be tempted to fill it up with extras :). Someone asked where the 10% rule came from, well for me, it came from listening to my back and my feet. 10% isn't carved in stone but its a good target to strive for. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hello!
I walked in April 2 years ago ago. A 38 liter Deuter was perfect. It fitted me and I carried, including 1 liter of water slightly over 9 kilos. Use an as small as possible backpack!. Pack your stuff weigh and exclude unnececssary stuff. Do not be afraid of bringing "to little". Your needs are not big when you walk! Do not go for as much as 48 liters!

I have Berghaus and I like it. German quality gets me all the time :)

I had a Berghaus climbers pack, 40+10 and liked it very much, but it literally fell apart at the seams on its fourth Camino as I approached Burgos. Despite the German name, Berghaus is an English company.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not sure about pack sizes. I carry a small lightweight Osprey. We are walking in March. We are sorting stuff and attempting to keep the total weight under 15lbs including water. I broke my back several years ago and have chronic back pain that I just live with so the lighter the better.

For the Camino in Spring, Summer or Autumn, the choice would be either my 35 litre Berghaus Capacitor or 48 litre Osprey Exos. Both are very comfortable and loaded with my basic essentials would weigh in at around 5 to 6 Kgs.

Devon Mike, the Osprey Exos weighs about 1 kg.
Can you please provide your pack list of your basic essentials so I can learn.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After many experiences, starting with a 66 liters 17 kilos I now use either a an osprey Talon 33 or a Deuter AC Aera 30 and the average weight is 5 kilos max including sleeping bag. Which is enough for me for a trip of about 1500 kms on caminos.

Gilles du Gers, the Osprey Talon 33 comes in at 0.8 kg
Can you please provide your pack list, so I might learn how to do better.

Devon Mike, the Osprey Exos weighs about 1 kg.
Can you please provide your pack list of your basic essentials so I can learn.
I have my pack list from May/June this year when I used my Berghaus Capacitor 35 litre pack. Next year's pack list will be pretty much the same but with the Osprey Exos 48 litre pack. I have stripped it down including removing the top pocket and all the external straps which I don't need to use and the pack now weighs about 950 g.

Attachments

• Camino Packing List.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 52
I have my pack list from May/June this year when I used my Berghaus Capacitor 35 litre pack

Devon Mike, thanks very much, most helpful.

The main difference was in clothing and its weight. You seemed to have only long sleeve tops. I often generate a lot of heat when walking and use short sleeve tops (often changing one en-route) plus long sleeve top for evening. So I can see where I might cut back.

Thanks again

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I worked in backpacking stores for years and often recommended to people who came in shopping for packs to get as small a pack as they can get away with, but talk their partner into getting a much larger one. That way, "I can't fit this flashlight/poncho/campstove in my pack... do you have room in yours?" That's one way to keep your pack light.

Devon Mike, thanks very much, most helpful.

The main difference was in clothing and its weight. You seemed to have only long sleeve tops. I often generate a lot of heat when walking and use short sleeve tops (often changing one en-route) plus long sleeve top for evening. So I can see where I might cut back.

Thanks again
I use very lightweight long sleeved base layers and long lightweight trousers as they are good for sun protection and I don't need to carry sunscreen. When it is quite hot I do push the sleeves up for a while though.

I worked in backpacking stores for years and often recommended to people who came in shopping for packs to get as small a pack as they can get away with, but talk their partner into getting a much larger one. That way, "I can't fit this flashlight/poncho/campstove in my pack... do you have room in yours?" That's one way to keep your pack light.
:( this would be a good reason for you never to be introduced to my wife!! I have enough trouble keeping my pack weight down without this sort of help!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked with 40 l and with 75 l backpacks, with fully loaded weights (including water and poles) from 5 to almost 8 kilos. My new backpack is 60 l - I got tired of having to unpack everything to get hold of that small item at the bottom, and it will be nice to have space for a lot of cheese and chorizo when I check the bag for the flight home. It also means I can carry stuff for my husband if necessary. My new pack is lighter than any of my others, and Ryanair size when not TOO full.

Personally, I'm not competing in the smallest/lightest backpack Olympics, I find it more uncomfortable to sleep without a clean pillow every night than to carry that 200g. (But it's a very small pillow.)

I think a consideration may also be the type and robustness of the harnesses at varying sizes of packs. From my experience, the 'mid-weight' packs (maybe up to 38L?) seem to have a much lighter set of shoulder straps and hip belt. I guess if you're shooting for ultra light that's great but if you're ranging into the 8-12 kg weight (I only have time off in the winter months so am always around 10kg - 20kg [before anyone freaks out, my upper limit is when I'm camping with full tenting and cooking gear!!] ) then having a very comfortable harness is the most important part for me and I'm willing to have a slightly heavier bag that has the extra padding. I use an Osprey Atmos AG 50L with access points at the top and bottom because, as someone noted above, it is a pain to have to dig through your bag to get something at the bottom which according to Murphy is exactly where it must be...!

My wife and I carried Ospreys the summer of 2014, 24L and 26L respectively. Personally, I would not carry an ounce more than necessary.

We now carry even lighter packs from Z-packs (made in Florida!). Expensive, but shaved about a pound off our pack weight. That matters. A lot.

If you are buying a pack, I would recommend looking at the small, American cottage manufacturers (Hyperlite, Gorilla Gear, Zpacks, ULA, Six Moons). In my opinion, they are far better designed, and far lighter than anything you are going to find at REI or any mainline outdoor gear store, including Ospreys (which we loved, but weight is weight).

Buen camino,
Jo Jo

€46,-
I would recommend looking at the small, American cottage manufacturers (Hyperlite, Gorilla Gear, Zpacks, ULA, Six Moons). In my opinion, they are far better designed, and far lighter than anything you are going to find at REI or any mainline outdoor gear store, including Ospreys (which we loved, but weight is weight).

I've just done some quick research on five brands to Jo Jo lists above. I've used an internal main bag size of around 40 litres so as to compare like with like. In one case pack weight was in oz, so I've done a conversion.

799 g - hyperlitemountaingear.com/ - 2400 Windrider Pack - load 20-40 lbs (9-18 kg)
468 g* - gossamergear.com/ - G4 54 Backpack - load 30 lb (13 kg) *optional hipbelt + 108 gram
595 g - zpacks.com/ - Arc blast 52 litre - load 35 lb (16 kg)
921 g - ula-equipment.com - EPIC - 38-82 litre (one model) - load 20 lb (9 kg) (weight 32.5 oz)
1020 g - sixmoondesigns.com/ - Fusion50 (2300 cu in) - load - could not see this (close out sale)
1390 g - sixmoondesigns.com/ - Fusion50 (2300 cu in) - load - could not see this (2015 model)

I hope I have transcribed these details correctly. Please let me know of any mistakes.

Alwyn, Thanks for doing all of this. I'd make one notations if anyone is really interested: For ULA--look at the Ohm 2.0 rather than the Epic, which is designed for rafting trips. The Ohm is 63L, still about 921g. The purple fabric is pretty. ULA has a pack called the "Camino," but it is 20oz. heavier.

And strike Six Moons Designs (I mis-remembered them as having a smaller, lighter version. They do, but apparently it is just sack with no suspension).

Finally a word on comparisons. American cottage manufacturers tend to measure volume not just of the main compartment (as more industrial manufacturers do), but including all external pockets as well. That is not a real issue here, however, because all of these packs will carry far more than what anyone should be carrying on the Camino. Really. My 26L Osprey was half-empty most of the time, except when I carried by soon-to-be-donated boots for a day before letting go of them. We put inflated ziplocks in the bottom of my wife's Arc Blast 52 this summer in Italy just to take up space (and get the weight to sit up higher on her back).

Finally a word on comparisons. American cottage manufacturers tend to measure volume not just of the main compartment (as more industrial manufacturers do), but including all external pockets as well.

Jo Jo, thanks

Yes, I was aware and went for the size of the main bag only. So, hopefully, did not include any external pockets in schedule.

I had done some research early in 2015 looking for real lightweight and with a frame. I wanted some air between my back and the pack. What I noticed is the smaller packs, eg Osprey Talon 33 were heavier than zPacks by several hundred grams and did not have external pockets.

And I wanted to put a bulky but light tent in (600 gram + 200 gram air mattress) for trips elsewhere. (That has much the same effect as the inflated bags in your wife's pack.)

So I also bought zPacks Arc Blast 52 (39 litres in the main bag) to give me both flexibility and lightness.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes Talon is heavier than Arc Blast but have external pockets (however not for a tent). Kumo from GossamerGear looks also good.

Much like going to a shoe store to be fitted for shoes, go to an outfitter to be fitted for a good backpack. You will be happy you did. The 48l Osprey is a good choice for an April Camino Frances, though perhaps a bit large, depending on the size of your sleeping bag--the bulkiest item in the pack. Too, as others have said, what other uses may you have for the pack and can you afford multiple packs? My wife cringes at the thought of how many I have.
Im cringing with just looking at the prices for my first camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Stop cringing ;-) There are a lot of good backpacks available for under $100 ;-) SY

Hehehe you know, it has to be pretty!!! Im such a girlie lol I saw a purple one today, love it but I want to go get measured at REI first. But this is what I envision!!! Lol

Attachments

• 1452206082432.jpg
    1452206082432.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Pretty becomes sooo unimportant on the Camino, I take a well fitting one anytime over a pretty one. SY

Pretty becomes sooo unimportant on the Camino, I take a well fitting one anytime over a pretty one. SY
That's why im going to REI first and if i can't find a pretty one then what ever fits right! !

Reverse that: If I can find one that fits great, and if it is pretty also, so much the better. Your priority is to have a painless camino ... SY

Hi Billy, others have given you great advice already - so I'll just add one small point. I suggest that you don't get too hung up on the weight of the backpack itself. The heavier ones (e.g. Deuter) sometimes have better lumbar support, or another detail that might be important to you. If your pack fits you perfectly, it will often feel lighter than it actually is.

How well I know that different seasons require different gear. My 32L Deuter barely accommodated me for November, honestly. I do love the pack though, and it forced me to pack frugally. I will say that when I purchased it, I was planning a September walk on El Camino de Santiago; because of family plans, I had to switch to October through mid-November.

32 L was not quite big enough for me in an Autumn walk, but I decided to get frugal about what I felt I needed. In early October, the really hot days--and there were many of them--inspired me to ship my sleeping bag to Santiago, a decision I would mildly regret through the cold nights in November. At that point, I would sleep fully clothed in everything, with one buff around my neck and one on my head--with a rain jacket and a poncho spread over me.

If I had a pack purchase to do again, it would be a 35-38 L size. That said, I now love my pack, and will probably use it again (and again).

I share your dilemma Deb; I absolutely love my 32l Deuter and it fits me perfectly. However, I would prefer a little more space so I'm pestering helpful people in outdoor stores and testing a few different options at the moment. The lumbar support of a Deuter frame is hard to beat, but it doesn't have all the clever 'extras' of some of the other brands (I think we 'spoke' about this before). I'll let you know what I decide!

IMO, if you will be using this pack for other uses besides the CDS, get a larger pack that will cover that need. For a CDs specific pack that I know I will not be overloading, I went with the exos 48. I have other packs for more weight.

I've tried on many packs, both through the mail and at outdoor stores. It's been hard to find one that fits comfortably, especially in my thin shoulders. I really wanted to keep the Exos 48 I bought, but the shoulder and hip belts just weren't padded enough for me. My son, a long distance ultralight hiker, suggested the ULA Circuit, which is what I have settled on. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

It's made by a small company in Utah, and they do a good job helping you with measurement over the phone. The shoulder straps come in male and female versions, and are sized separately, as are the backpack and hip belt. Both the shoulder belt and hip belt are much more padded than the Exos. It's very well-made, and has some thoughtful features, like front-strap water bottle holders.

The total volume is 68 liters--BUT that includes very large zipped pockets on the belt and sides, and a mesh pocket on the back. The bag's top rolls down, and the whole thing compresses to quite a small size if you have less volume. My base weight with the pack loaded for the Camino is 14 lbs.

The pack unloaded weighs about 38 oz. You can find lighter, but for me, the Circuit combines reasonable weight with comfort.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alwyn, Thanks for doing all of this. I'd make one notations if anyone is really interested: For ULA--look at the Ohm 2.0 rather than the Epic, which is designed for rafting trips. The Ohm is 63L, still about 921g. The purple fabric is pretty. ULA has a pack called the "Camino," but it is 20oz. heavier.

I looked at the Ohm from ULA too, but decided on the Circuit because according to the guy I spoke to at ULA, it's a more comfortable pack. As Jojo mentioned, don't be put off by the larger liter sizes on these ultralight small-company packs. They're often made with lighter material, tend to have more storage on the outside, and have a "stuff sack" design that can compress and roll down to a smaller size.

I've tried on many packs, both through the mail and at outdoor stores. It's been hard to find one that fits comfortably, especially in my thin shoulders. I really wanted to keep the Exos 48 I bought, but the shoulder and hip belts just weren't padded enough for me. My son, a long distance ultralight hiker, suggested the ULA Circuit, which is what I have settled on. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

It's made by a small company in Utah, and they do a good job helping you with measurement over the phone. The shoulder straps come in male and female versions, and are sized separately, as are the backpack and hip belt. Both the shoulder belt and hip belt are much more padded than the Exos. It's very well-made, and has some thoughtful features, like front-strap water bottle holders.

The total volume is 68 liters--BUT that includes very large zipped pockets on the belt and sides, and a mesh pocket on the back. The bag's top rolls down, and the whole thing compresses to quite a small size if you have less volume. My base weight with the pack loaded for the Camino is 14 lbs.

The pack unloaded weighs about 38 oz. You can find lighter, but for me, the Circuit combines reasonable weight with comfort.
Thanks Sabbott,
After reading all the posts i finally went to REI and bought my pack. I choose a 50 Atmos. I tried on just about every pack they had and in the end i agree. There are lighter packs like the expos, but the waist belt wasn't comfortable. I figure I'm going to be wearing this thing for a month, so it better feel good. The salesperson asked, "would you buy boots that weren't comfortable because they were lighter". It made sense. If weight becomes that critical, ill pack less. The 50 Atmos is really comfortable on me and thats all i care about. I think in the end you have to pick whats best for you.

It seems sizing of packs is comparing apples to oranges. For those preaching "small" versions of packs, it could be that you are 5' tall and 90lbs. Whereas the length of your clothes etc would easily fold down to a 33 ltr. pack. The extra room required for someone 6'2" and 250lbs (for the exact set of clothes) may be hardpressed. to use the same size

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.