• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backup Footwear - Open or Closed sandals?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi everyone,

I'm down to buying the last few items of my gear before heading off on my first Camino at the end of April.

I would really value some feedback from our more experienced members on backup footwear. And yes I appreciate that this is a very personal choice, but the experiences of others would be helpful nonetheless.

I started out being paranoid about weight. Still am a bit...

So my first thoughts were to take Crocs. Wear at night and for emergency use if blisters got bad. And of course they are lightweight.

I'm tending now to think that 'hiking' sandals might be a better option for me. I like the idea of being able to use them if the weather is warm/dry, and being able to give my feet a 'break'.

I started looking at the really lightweight versions and have tried on quite a few pairs.

My research so far has concluded....

The lighter versions, (OK mid weight versions) only have straps.
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/teva-terra-fi-4-sandal-mens.html
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/teva-toachi-2-leather-sandal-mens.html

Not being used to wearing sandals I found these felt a bit strange and immediately thought that having only 2 or 3 points of contact with my feet, via the straps, chafing was likely to be a big issue. Not sure if that happens in reality though....

So I then tried some of the heavier versions.
They felt really good. Very comfortable. And when walking on inclines (up and down) my feet felt secure and not sign of chafing.

These were somewhat more open. Probably better for drying out blisters etc.
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/keen-newport-h2-sandal-mens.html

And these were even more comfortable. But fast starting to look like hiking shoes....
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/teva-kimtah-sandal-mens.html

So my dilemma is this.

I want to have some backup footwear, that I could actually walk in for a couple of days if I needed to.
The idea being to get some relief from my boots if I get blisters. So they would need to allow plenty of air circulation and not 'rub' in the spots where I might have blisters.

This would seem to point to 'open' sandals, that are secured with 2 or 3 straps only. But are these comfortable for walking. Do they take a lot of 'wearing in' to get over potential chaffing from the straps?

Or might it be better to go for something more enclosed?

Just found an interesting review, which has me leaning towards open sandals....
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sandals-Reviews/Buying-Advice

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, definitely a personal choice as you suggested.
I have used Crocs twice at a similar time of year as you are walking.
I just find them very comfortable at the end of a days walking, if it's cold I just wear them with tomorrows walking socks.

Yes, definitely a personal choice as you suggested.
I have used Crocs twice at a similar time of year as you are walking.
I just find them very comfortable at the end of a days walking, if it's cold I just wear them with tomorrows walking socks.

Could you walk in them if you had to?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wear Teva sandals at home and as back up on the Camino. At home I walk in them lots, 5+ km most days. The soles stick like the proverbial, so no problem on wet cobbles.

I had the same dilemma. For backup I ended up using Merrill Runners. They are very lite weight and have a mesh top and side that make them very airy,,,,
They ended up being my go-too hikers when there was no rain in the forecast. They provided nice relief from my hiking boots and I will have them again when I return this September. Buena Suerte. Ed

PS I also had crocs with me which I donated in SJPDP right before I started.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've only ever walked in my boots (except for sight seeing) so can't really say, might depend on the conditions & terrain.

I walked a good part of the way in my Keen Newports with sox. Very controversial as before I left I received personal messages in all caps saying "Keens are too heavy; take Crocs", beside all the "sox with sandals" remarks, but take them I did, and loved them. These particular shoes have toe protection which added to my peace of mind.

How cold do your feet get? My feet are always cold! :rolleyes: I walked in April and I can safely say there wasn't a single day I would have wanted to wear sandals (with or why out socks)! Just asking...... I used New Balance Minimus runners (8 oz) for backup shoes (with socks for warmth ).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked a good part of the way in my Keen Newports with sox. Very controversial as before I left I received personal messages in all caps saying "Keens are too heavy; take Crocs", beside all the "sox with sandals" remarks, but take them I did, and loved them. These particular shoes have toe protection which added to my peace of mind.

I can see the benefit in the closed sandals if they are used for walking for a few days. They seem very comfortable. I just wonder if they are different 'enough' for my feet to feel like they are having a real break from the boots, and if they allow enough air to circulate to help with blisters.

As for the 'Socks with Sandals' I recall when I lived in the UK that this was a fashion 'faux pas' that was deemed to indicate the wearer was probably American. But since living on the other side of the World, I notice that Japanese also adopt this 'style'.

But...... who cares?

If I was to wear sandals for walking on the Camino I would probably wear them with socks! To avoid chafing. Though I have never tried it. I plan to buy some today and trial them....

I have a couple of pairs of hiking sandals and would recommend the kind with at least a closed toe box.
The kind with just straps across the foot seem to get trail dirt and rocks under my feet.

The strappy ones seem better for walking on roads or in town.

I'm taking hiking shoes, hiking sandals as an alternate, and flip flops for the shower.

And sandals with socks are okay when hiking. ;)

Absolutely, I walked with Croc sandals that only had one strap on the top of the foot, like the old Dr Schools wooden sandals and was just fine.

There is a whole long thread about what the 2nd pair of shoes to bring should be that took place during the last two weeks. You will be able to read lots of information, and opinions there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Robo, I have used open toed sandals on various travels, and carried an pair from Merrell on the CF. When I first used them for local sight-seeing in Pamplona, they blistered my big toe! It hadn't happened before, and hasn't since, but I do recall it was the only time I wore them with thin socks. After that I adopted the European look and wore them with thick socks.

For my last couple of long walks, I have carried a pair of Salomon Techamphibian shoes, and used these for local walks. I wear my boots during the day, so I don't think of them as a backup, but my sister commandeered my pair of Salomons when we walked the Camino Salvado together, and walked in them all day for about five days because her shoes were too small.

They weighed about 160 gm less than my sandals, but there are plenty of sandals around that are lighter than my Merrells as well.

As a Portlander...

I didn't worry so much about wearing socks with my Sandals. No one really looked at my feet much, and it made me comfortable. When someone mentioned it once, I shrugged and said "I'm from Portland" and I was nick-named Portlandia. Not the worst thing in the world.

My Teva Tirra's were great, and I ended up wearing them about equal amount to my Keens. I liked how open they were because if a rock got stuck in'em, I didn't have to take it completely off! But... that was rare.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have always used the clog type Crocs (fold over back strap) and used them daily after walking and for sightseeing. Great with the back strap round the heel for walking and easy as slip ons at night or for the shower. We wore socks with them. Lightweight and we could stuff the toes with socks/pants to save space in the pack. We both have fairly wide feet so they suit us and I found the sandal type was not stable and I could have rolled my ankle over. Anyone with narrow feet might need to check the style of Croc which suits them if the clog type is too wide.
A very personal choice. :)

Or might it be better to go for something more enclosed?
1. Don't count on Keen scandals as a backup if you get blisters. I got blisters and absolutely could not even put my Keens on for the pain. They pretty much bind up your foot like your boot does.

2. Don't count on any sandal with a cord or whatever between your big and your 2nd toe as a boot replacement unless you have trained in it; you risk serious blisters between the toes. OK for evening wear but not for heavy use without training.

3. With serious blisters on my toes, a pair of sandals my wife found for me worked fine. Strap across the top of the back joint of the toes, adjustable strap around the ankle. Teva Lites are similar. With wool sox my feet were fine despite heavy rain and fairly cool temperatures in Galacia.

4. Don't worry about wearing sox with sandals. No one could care less. The rules of fashion and style are of little (no) importance on the Camino.

5. I now carry a pair of Sperry Santa Cruz 2 straps as my 2nd shoes. They are heavier than some sandals but not too bad. They are sturdy enough to use as backups to my boots, are fine for the shower, and great after you finish walking for the day. Teva Lites would work but I don't like how they fit on me; seems like they make me lean backward. YMMD.

6. Don't underestimate how important foot care and comfort are. Keeping the weight you carry down is important, but carrying a few extra ounces to be sure your feet are good to go is worth it.

Karl

I have been wearing Teva sandals 10 months out of the year for the past 20 years. I plan on taking them with me as my backup shoes this spring on the Camino. I find them to be very comfortable and very durable and they have infinite adjustability. I've been wearing them on my training walks and they are working out very well but then I'm used to wearing them.

I just want to comment on the type of Teva that I think would be best for the camino. I would go with the Terra fi type with the nylon straps instead of leather or fake leather straps. The nylon Teva's you can easily wash when they get funky smelly and dirty and they will dry out quickly. The real or fake leather variety get funky smells faster and don't clean up and dry out as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The nylon Teva's you can easily wash when they get funky smelly and dirty and they will dry out quickly. The real or fake leather variety get funky smells faster and don't clean up and dry out as well.
Really? Cool smells? Is there an alternative meaning to funky that you are thinking of for those of us from the antipodes that don't understand why sandals that make you want to dance are a problem?

@dougfitz, apparently alternative, as "funky" in the USA is "not good". We can even feel "funky" when we're coming down with a cold.

I walked the Camino in May/June of 21014 and wore my Keen Whispers of several days of hiking. I preferred my hiking shoes over the Keens on the rough stones, but the Keens with socks worked very well on most days. The socks helped where the Keens may have rubbed, although, I never had any problem with that either. I took flip flops to wear around the alberques, showers and sometime in town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took a pair of Keens with me and am pleased I did. They are a little heavy but they have a few benefits. In Santa Domingo we went out to a flash restaurant and was able to wear the keens with socks. Dark socks and dark Keens - quite OK. The Keens are also handy on either side of the Camino - they look better than Crocs if you are out in Barcelona and I was able to walk a day in the Keens when I got sick of the boots. They are the first thing I'd pack next time.

You have to go with what feels best for you. I take Crocs. Hang them on the outside of my pack. Wear them sometimes for a change when walking. Nothing beats their comfort and they are stylish (a joke).

OK, I'm test driving a pair of Teva Hurricanes. Open sandals with fabric straps.

I have never worn sandals before and my first reaction is..........these straps are going to rub my feet raw........

I'm sure that's not the case or no one would wear them!

But......

For experienced wearers. Do you do the straps up tight, or loose? Tight feels better, but maybe loose reduces friction? Maybe heel tight, toes loose?

OK, heading out for test drive...........

P.S. Test drive was walking around JJ Market in Bangkok all day. So far so good. Sockless...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a pair of those and love them. My straps are neither tight nor loose, just pulled til they stop, not pulled hard, and not left loose. I wear mine with socks, so no rubbing. If you take them I will be interested in hearing how they work for you. I didn't have the nerve to expose my toes and that's why I took my Keens.

OK, I'm test driving a pair of Teva Hurricanes. Open sandals with fabric straps.
Those are similar in deisgn to what saved me on the Camino when I got blisters. As to rubbing, a) I suspect that if you wear these alot before you go on Camino, your feet will toughen up where the straps rub and you won't have a problem; just don't start wearing them (or any footwear) on the Camino without breaking them, and your feet, in, beforehand, and b) I don't think they will rub that much in casual use at night; if you need to use them during the day as boot substitutes, wear sox.

Buen Camino,

Kar

I have a pair of those and love them. My straps are neither tight nor loose, just pulled til they stop, not pulled hard, and not left loose. I wear mine with socks, so no rubbing. If you take them I will be interested in hearing how they work for you. I didn't have the nerve to expose my toes and that's why I took my Keens.

Been wearing them around Bangkok for a week. They feel fine. Though......

A bit of tendon irritation. Maybe because they are quite flat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have never worn sandals before and my first reaction is..........these straps are going to rub my feet raw........

I'm sure that's not the case or no one would wear them!

But......

For experienced wearers. Do you do the straps up tight, or loose? Tight feels better, but maybe loose reduces friction? Maybe heel tight, toes loose?

OK, heading out for test drive...........

P.S. Test drive was walking around JJ Market in Bangkok all day. So far so good. Sockless...

Joe at Zpacks wore a pair of Teva Grecko sandals exclusively on the entire 2,663 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. Wearing socks with your sandals is a good idea, and you can even buy waterproof socks which you can wear in the rain. Check out his website and see the pictures here: http://www.zpacks.com/about.shtml

If your boots fit you correctly and you lube up your feet every morning, you really shouldn't be getting any blisters, or hardly any. Preparing your feet, keeping them well greased and having good socks and boots that are broken in and fit you should help tremendously.

Good luck. :)

I buy Croc knockoffs along the Camino for under 10 euros and they are just fine.
I've also taken flip-flops and they work fine too.
Depends on the weather.
Don't overthink this. Just go.

I walked St jean to Muxia in 2013 in Chaco Z1 sandals. They were excellent. I picked up some trainers to because my feet were sore but they didn't change anything other than getting my feet hot. I used the Chaco's barefoot for the camino but have worn them with socks but never for such long distances. They fit me extremely well and are very robust and stable. Problem is they aren't available in Europe (maybe England) and Chaco won't ship to Europe. I burnt mine out prematurely last year on the way through France. I tried to online shop for some and it was impossible and I was a bit excite because I was in the middle of my journey. If you have friends in the USA send them some cash and get them to send you some. Chaco's also come in regular and wide sizes. I fit the 9W perfectly but have bought 10R when the wides weren't available and they were slightly to long.

https://www.chacos.com/CA/en

They can also be rebuilt when worn out. Costs about 60% of new.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm definitely bringing my Teva Hurricaine sandals as backup when I walk the Camino. My regular walking shoes, the Merrell Barefoot access are already super light. I'm not a boot kinda guy. I know flip flops are lighter than the Teva Hurricaines, but like the OP, I want my backup shoe to not only be for walking to the showers or around town after a long days walk, but to also serve as walking shoes when I want my feet to get alittle air. I've hiked in my Tevas before, and they are super comfy. Sure, they are heavier than flip flops, but they aren't insanely heavy. I can still clip them to my pack or stuff them in the outside pocket when not using them. They may not be for everyone, but I love my Teva Hurricaines. Who knows, I may end up hiking in them more than my Merrell's on he Camino.

Crocs Crocs Crocs, :) it saved my day I walked about 80 km before I found a replacement shoes, thats worked great it was plenty of time to heal my blister :)

Zzotte

@Robo Well, here's my 2 cents worth...What works best for you is of course the bottom line, right? Although my first Camino is still 2 months ahead of me, I've investigated and tried on/out more shoes, boots and sandals than I ever imagined I would! I'm taking my Teva Terra Fi 4's (which I've worn almost daily since I bought them last September)...LUV THEM, as my 2nds/backups/evening/lounging shoes. They feel like pillows under my feet with or without socks. I just bought a pair of KEEN Newport H2 closed toe sandals and well, they just didn't work out because I found them HOT & SWEATY! Secondly, getting small pebbles out of this type of sandal isn’t as easy to do as in my Teva Fi 4’s (which I do not find hot & sweaty). Third (and most important) thing I noticed was how my big toe keeps striking the top of inside toe cap and becomes very sore/tender, becoming a guarantee of losing a big toenail or two!
Looking forward to hearing what you decide upon as well as how that decision plays out on Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do not take any type of footwear that is already causing you pain or a hot spot. It will only get worse on the Camino. Comfort is key.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.