• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backwards on the Camino de Madrid?

rivrod

How feasible/easy is it to walk backwards on along the Camino de Madrid from Sahugun to Madrid? Is there any difficulty staying in municipal albergues if you're walking backwards?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
rivrod,

I have never walked the Camino de Madrid but there would be no problem staying at pilgrim albergues as long as you have a Pilgrim Passport or Credential. Walking backward during the 'prime time season' should be easy since you would see other pilgrims coming towards you and thus marking the path. However walking out of season and especially through woods or prairie it might be more difficult to find the way. In December 2011 I walked from Santiago to the Portuguese border at Tui in reverse along the Camino Portuguese. To go backward was more complicated than you might imagine and searching for the famous yellow arrows pointing in the opposite direction wasn't easy. Viewed backwards the arrows resembled anchors. Thus it all was a bit of a treasure hunt!

Forward or backward I wish you Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

That's what I figured re: staying in albergues but had read on another post that a pilgrim had a tough time once or twice. The plan now is to walk the Frances starting in May. Afterwards I'm staying with family in Madrid. With no definite end date and a plane ticket back in August, I was wondering, or maybe daydreaming!, about maybe licking my wounds in Santiago for a little while then walking the camino Frances backwards to Sahagun and then down to Madrid.

Ultimately I think it should be a decision made in Santiago and see how I feel. It may just be too much to do with so little time in between but just an idea I'm kicking around at the moment.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, rivrod,

When I walked the Camino de Madrid, I had two companions for about 5 nights, and the rest of the time I was completely alone in some beautiful albergues, so I can't imagine anyone is going to care which way you are going.

Walking backwards is a different story, IMO. On the Frances to Sahagun, there won't be a problem, because of the huge numbers walking towards you. But on the Madrid, I think it could be tricky. I'd bring some good maps and a compass. The good thing about this camino, like most of the caminos, is that you are never far from civilization (except maybe for the day between Cercedilla and SEgovia), so even if you get lost, you will wind up in a town nearby and can reset your bearings.

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,

I found your blog while searching the forum on the camino de Madrid. Its been very helpful. Do you remember how many days the camino Madrid took you and how many rest days you took?

Thanks
Anthony

Hi, Anthony,
I had a lot of time and decided to set my stages to coincide with good albergues. Some of the albergues on this camino are very basic and others are palatial, so I opted for the latter. :D

Here is a summary of my stages: camino-de-madrid/topic11148.html

I sort of took a rest day in Valladolid, which is about 8 kms off the Camino. One morning I walked 8 kms into Valladolid, then the next day, I left in the afternoon and walked another short 12 kms or something like that. I had never been to Valladolid and really enjoyed it, especially the sculpture museum.

And in case you haven't seen it mentioned in other threads, there is a new version of the Confraternity's guide, which is online. http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Hope this all helps, buen camino, Laurie
This was actually the only guide I had and it was great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Laurie!

That's incredibly helpful. I've printed out that guid eon the site, it says 2010, is that the new updated one?

One last question, do you know if the entire camino is on the pastoral paths? I'm wondering if I can get a map that shoes these pastoral paths so I can have one detailed enough to help me walk it backwards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola

Sorry I'm just catching up with this. I think walking from Sahagun to Madrid is feasible and Laurie has given really good advice. The train journey from Santiago to Sahagun is about 7 hours I think.

Anyway for excellent maps you can use on a mobile device have a look here: http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... adrid.html

You should have absolutely no problem using the albergues as there will be few other pilgrims around.

The route is beautiful and will be just as nice going backwards!

Buen camino

John

rivrod said:
How feasible/easy is it to walk backwards on along the Camino de Madrid from Sahugun to Madrid? Is there any difficulty staying in municipal albergues if you're walking backwards?

Thanks!
I think your main requirement would be a rear view mirror, otherwise you will be continually bumping into things if you walk backwards. :mrgreen:

Sojourner47 said:
rivrod said:

Thanks!
I think your main requirement would be a rear view mirror, otherwise you will be continually bumping into things if you walk backwards. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met a guy walking the Camino de Madrid backwards when I did it. I agree that it is probably the hardest one to walk backwards due to the fact that it is likely that many days you will not encounter a single person walking it, even in peak season. Certainly feasible though!

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back