• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backyard trails...my today's walk, where are you walking?

Time of past OR future Camino
C. F. (2014 & 2019) C. P. (2016). Thinking 2024 CF
This time last year I was starting the last month of my five-month Camino training regime. This year I've started recapturing that journey in a weekly blog series. Today, I had an overwhelming urge to be back under the sky, feel the breeze on my skin, and walk one of those roller coaster-like tracks. I chose this beautiful coastal walk, part of New Zealand's Te Araroa route. No Buen Camino's but lots of Good Mornings. I went out of the blocks to quickly, but it was a fun walk. And, oh so good for my soul.IMG_0086.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My favourite walk from home is up Cataract Gorge (Launceston, Tasmania).
20200804_115814_copy_558x317.jpg
We're very lucky to have such a beautiful, natural asset just minutes walk from the CBD. It's treasured by locals & popular with visitors. Apart from bushwalks in the vicinity, The Basin area has lovely gardens, picnic grounds, seasonal swimming pools, a chairlift & the famous suspension bridge (a good place to challenge my balance disorder!).
20200804_120356_copy_558x324.jpg20200804_121642_copy_558x291.jpg20200804_120418_copy_558x365.jpg
I always feel compelled to hug my favourite tree...a heritage listed giant sequoia.
20200804_121613_copy_558x768.jpg
Cataract Gorge is a gem & a world away from it's urban doorstep.
20200804_115948_copy_558x298.jpg
Thank goodness for it!
👣 🌏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My favourite walk from home is up Cataract Gorge (Launceston, Tasmania).
View attachment 80100
We're very lucky to have such a beautiful, natural asset just minutes walk from the CBD. It's treasured by locals & popular with visitors. Apart from bushwalks in the vicinity, The Basin area has lovely gardens, picnic grounds, seasonal swimming pools, a chairlift & the famous suspension bridge (a good place to challenge my balance disorder!).
View attachment 80101View attachment 80103View attachment 80102
I always feel compelled to hug my favourite tree...a heritage listed giant sequoia.
View attachment 80099
Cataract Gorge is a gem & a world away from it's urban doorstep.
View attachment 80104
Thank goodness for it!
👣 🌏
The scenery is amazing Kazrobbo. My Camino family and I were going to Italy next year to walk the Via Francigena. We've been discussing going to Tasmania instead. If we get a travel bridge between Tasmania and New Zealand I will be voting for this walk - thank you.

The scenery is amazing Kazrobbo. My Camino family and I were going to Italy next year to walk the Via Francigena. We've been discussing going to Tasmania instead. If we get a travel bridge between Tasmania and New Zealand I will be voting for this walk - thank you.
Good luck w either of your plans @Artful-Chick. I combined the PWC & VF to walk London to Rome last year..seems almost unbelievable now.
Tassie isn't a bad consolation prize though 🤗 ...I'd be happy to help with any info for whichever of your plans eventuates!
👣 🌏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck w either of your plans @Artful-Chick. I combined the PWC & VF to walk London to Rome last year..seems almost unbelievable now.
Tassie isn't a bad consolation prize though 🤗 ...I'd be happy to help with any info for whichever of your plans eventuates!
👣 🌏
Thank you Kazrobbo, appreciate the offer.

Thank you Kazrobbo, appreciate the offer.

living in the flatlands of England I go green with envy at these posts! I will now trudge into town, do two laps of Tesco's supermarket, have a coffee and bus home. I will then hang from the ceiling and get a new perspective on life, the universe and my chili plants ! :)

Much as you are rubbing salt in my wounds, kindly keep up with the photos. They are brilliant!

samarkand.

living in the flatlands of England I go green with envy at these posts! I will now trudge into town, do two laps of Tesco's supermarket, have a coffee and bus home. I will then hang from the ceiling and get a new perspective on life, the universe and my chili plants ! :)

Much as you are rubbing salt in my wounds, kindly keep up with the photos. They are brilliant!

samarkand.
😄 Don't worry @malingerer, I have to walk a few blocks of Ugly Urban to start with...
but then its...
20180307_175337-612x816.jpg
a boardwalk along the river, a marina &...
20180713_135655-1224x1632.jpg 😋
Oh..sorry...this was supposed to be helping you feel better! 😇
I hope Tesco had some good specials at least... 🤭
Hang in there 🤗
👣 🌏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Didn't Escape from the City cover Launceston.
I'm not aware of an 'Escape from the City' episode covering Launy...but I'm impressed you know the program being on the other side of the world & all!
There was however, an episode of 'Grand Designs Australia' set here so maybe that's what you're thinking of.
As an aside @Artful-Chick (& @VNwalking) ...I always watch GD NZ to marvel at your stunning landscapes.
😊

samarkand.
Malingere, I lived in England for 5 years so understand where your coming from. I was often homesick and longing for high skies, so will do my best to load up some photos from my walks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two weeks ago when I started this thread, discounting the almost closed border to NZ, we had lots of freedom. A week ago, Auckland, the city where I live went into what we call Level 3 lockdown last Wednesday due to our first resurgence of COVID-19. The outbreak is minuscule compared to what other countries are experiencing but I think our remoteness and our pre-election state has heightened our fears and kindness has been replaced by conspiracy theories.
Level 3, thankfully means we can still walk, just locally. I live on a Point as we have limited resources here I count the next Point as my backyard. Yesterday, I walked up the steep hill to Birkenhead Point, down to the ferry terminal then through the bush track. I've been continuing my weekly post on my 2019 Camino Frances journey; my feet and heart longing to walk in wide-open spaces. I am though lucky to be able to mix up my daily walks...here's a couple of pics - for those homesick Kiwis on this forum.IMG_0115.JPGIMG_0108.JPG

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back