• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Pickering

Time of past OR future Camino
Did entire Frances in 2013 and SJPP to Leon in 2014.
Plan to do Lisbon to Santiago in 2015.
I stayed at the Hostal Alvarez last night in Leon. We are shipping my wife's bag ahead with Jacotrans with great success.
Yesterday I asked the owner of Alvarez to advise Jacotrans that a bag would be shipped to Villavante.
We arrived at casa Molino Galochas and we're told the bag had not arrived.
Leo had contacted Jacotrans too late for the pickup.
This behaviour is dispicable and should be censured.
The owner of Molino Galochas travelled on his own account to Leon to pickup the bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the Hostal Alvarez last night in Leon. We are shipping my wife's bag ahead with Jacotrans with great success.
Yesterday I asked the owner of Alvarez to advise Jacotrans that a bag would be shipped to Villavante.
We arrived at casa Molino Galochas and we're told the bag had not arrived.
The owner of Molino Galochas travelled on his own account to Leon to pickup the bag.

I admit this seems a bit of a nuisance but in the end it worked out well.
It is all part of the things that can happen on the Camino...
So calling this dispicable and to be censored seems to me a bit harsh....
" Leo " just made a human error....
Just relax ...it turned out well.

Buen Camino!

I expected a thread with this title to describe something willful. I'm sure it was an annoyance, but I think it was at worst a careless mistake rather than a deliberate act intended to harm you. I also think that "despicable" and "subject to censure" are kind of over the top for what you describe.

I hope you don't let little things like this ruin your camino. The worst that would have happened is that one of you would have been without a bag for one night. In the grand scheme of things, that is nowhere near my definition of despicable. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport of your pack is something that has become used by more people in the last three years. In prior times it was not normally used except by those who had a physical reason...which may be your case.
There was not a whole industry devoted to this (including the Post Office). Those who needed the service were very happy to find any way to use it.
The Camino and the services are not really intended to operate like you might expect on a tourist outing and things don't always work as you would like.

4-5 euro to transport the pack and 10 euro for a bed should not raise your expectation of clocklike service, in my opinion.

Your description of a 4 euro service as "dispicable" would be a bit unusual.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I totally agree with everyone that this is hardly a capital offense, and hopefully not something that spoils the journey. But there are two parts to this post and it took me a while to refocus...because in a 'glass half full' world, this is what I would have been noticing first:
Camino angel, to the max!
One thing I pick up on in your post, Dick, is how it must have felt to have the owner of Molino Galochas do that. Don't know about you, but I'd have felt both very grateful and a bit embarrassed, not wanting to cause trouble to others.

When using pack transport services it is generally the responsibility of the customer (you) to make the arrangements. This is very easy to do, either by phone or online. If you ask the owner of your hotel to do this on your behalf it would be as a favor, not something which is part of their job. So if other responsibilities and tasks and the sort of daily crises a busy hotelier faces caused him to forget to make the call, well - unfortunate is about the strongest word I'd use. It's certainly far from despicable. And even if your kind host the next night had not offered to collect it, you could simply have arranged for your pack to be picked up the next day and taken direct to your next night's accommodation. So you would have been without it one night. Not a huge catastrophe, and not worthy of such a strongly worded attack.

I hope you come to a more accepting frame of mind and enjoy your Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Like others, I see this as a an over-reaction. My wife and I met a father and daughter in Najera at the bus station who had returned there because the bag they had sent forward had not been delivered, and they had returned by bus a little earlier to fetch it. They were waiting for the return bus to take them back to Santo Domingo. They were treating this as part of their Camino experience - perhaps you should too.

BTW I hope you at least reimbursed the out of pocket expenses of whoever collected the pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I actually started chuckling and smirking to think that Molinas Gachas --kind-hearted folks--had to drive back, what, 24 kilometers at most? They were so kind to help you, and I hope you did give them some money for petrol. But yes--you should be making the bag-transfer calls, or you should be dialing your phone and handing it to the kind helper if your language skills aren't up to snuff.

Otherwise, have a glass of wine and relax a bit.

Bad behavior? ha ha....:D
I thought this was going to be a thread about drunken young pilgrims and their sophomoric hijinks or something. Not about a shipped bag being late to its destination. Heck, it costs what, like 7 euros to ship a bag? Still a pretty good deal despite the occasional late arrival. That's why I always say never carry anything on the Camino you aren't willing to lose.

Bad behavior? ha ha....:D
I thought this was going to be a thread about drunken young pilgrims and their sophomoric hijinks or something. Not about a shipped bag being late to its destination. Heck, it costs what, like 7 euros to ship a bag? Still a pretty good deal despite the occasional late arrival. That's why I always say never carry anything on the Camino you aren't willing to lose.

You know, bad behavior on Camino.....ahhhhhh, let me think....going back....going back..........

From last offensive bad behavior to most offensive bad behavior that I ever saw while on Camino Frances:

1. Someone takes the chair by the bunk, and puts a flag on it (ha ha, ownership!)

2. You forget your shampoo in the shower, and when you go back, someone has taken it. Just a little worse than above!

3. Someone makes a mean joke about your a. nationality b. or your disgusting old rain pants that have split in two c. and/or how you snore reminds them of a choir singing off key!

4. A Pilgrim swears angrily at you for bumping the table that their coffee is on. Note: the coffee has not spilled! Yes, -- I did exit stage left and pronto!

5. Reacting badly to hospitaleros/as and expecting to be treated like royalty, while paying 10 euros for a room.

I don't think it's great to dwell on the negative, but just be kind!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm wondering if this is a joke of a posting?
If not, then Dick Pickering puts all the blame on 'Leo'!
Instead of describing this as dispicable and needs censuring, perhaps he should take the blame on himself, for not getting on with the process himself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
he guy at Molino Galochas sounds like a fine person. Should I get there, I'll buy him a beer for you.;)
And here was me figuring to shout that Leo a beer.
But you are right. The guy at Molino Galochas sure deserves one too.
And the Jacotrans driver who did the run that day. I'd better buy him one.
Because I bet he was copping a bit of flack that day.
And you Stuart. I'd buy you one. You're a mate of mine.

Now then. Is there anyone who doesn't deserve one?
Of course there is.
I'll give you one guess.
That would me me. I've done nuthin.

Regards
Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back