• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Bad cold in Pamplona

svanada

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (planned)
Anyone knows whom to contact to get a doctors appointment in Pamplona?
I am not fit for walking at all and don’t want to spread the disease to other pilgrims. So I just move around in Pamplona to different hostels with private rooms.
I really need medical advice and maybe some medicines.
I prefer getting to a place where they accept EU sanitary card.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The place you are staying in should be able to recommend a clinic. Be sure to tell them that you are a pilgrim. The pharmacy/chemists are very good at providing medicines (without prescriptions). If you are really sick then they also can recommend a medical clinic. Best of luck, being sick on the camino is no fun. Cheers

I am not fit for walking at all and don’t want to spread the disease to other pilgrims. So I just move around in Pamplona to different hostels with private rooms.
Sorry to hear that Svanada in Fronfria today at meal English lady said she had covid in Pamplona had to isolate for 5 days still coughing not pleasant. Have you self tested. Best of luck and health.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Sorry to hear. First of all go to a pharmacy in the neighbourhood. They will have selftests or maybe even equipped to perform an antigentest on you.
They will tell you what to do afterwards. They can also estimate the seriousness of your illness and send you to a clinic.

Quick healing.

Last edited:
First of all go to a pharmacy in the neighbourhood. They will have selftests or maybe even equipped to perform an antigentest on you.
They will tell you what to do afterwards. They can also estimate the seriousness of your illness and send you to a clinic.
This.
And as much as you can, staying in one place, resting and healing in prviate accomodation.
As you say, you don't want to spread whatever it is. And moving form one place to another wears you down, too.

May you (and all around you) be well!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The place you are staying in should be able to recommend a clinic. Be sure to tell them that you are a pilgrim. The pharmacy/chemists are very good at providing medicines (without prescriptions). If you are really sick then they also can recommend a medical clinic. Best of luck, being sick on the camino is no fun. Cheers
Thank you 🙏🏻

Sorry to hear. First of all go to a pharmacy in the neighbourhood. They will have selftests or maybe even equipped to perform an antigentest on you.

Quick healing.
I carried a selftest from home and I do not have Covid. But still not feeling good. I will stay one more night in Pamplona. If not feeling better tomorrow I will go looking for a doctor.

This.
And as much as you can, staying in one place, resting and healing in prviate accomodation.
As you say, you don't want to spread whatever it is. And moving form one place to another wears you down, too.

May you (and all around you) be well!
I would have loved staying in one place BUT the room situation in Pamplona has forced me to move every day. Weekend not being the best time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear that Svanada in Fronfria today at meal English lady said she had covid in Pamplona had to isolate for 5 days still coughing not pleasant. Have you self tested. Best of luck and health.
I have and I don’t have Covid but still a bad cough and a bad cold.

Wicked cold going around here in Canada- soup and rest! Hope you feel better soon. The camino provides but when I think of that I remember the shrines along the way for fallen pilgrims! I hope you can take the time to get well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had a terrible cold in Pamplona which turned out not to be Covid. I went to a pharmacy got some fizzy vitamin tabs, covid tests and advice on OTC meds.
It's good to know that some of what's going around are garden variety colds and not Covid, but it's never fun to be sick on the Camino.

Retest in a couple of days. Sorry to say my daughter’s Covid started with a hacking cough but did not test positive until three days later. Better safe than sorry. Wishing you a speedy recovery and return to the Camino.
My son and wife tested positive last weekend. I had similar symptoms but tested negative five times over three days, then changed the brand of rapid test and tested positive later same day. I think rapid tests are not 100% accurate or maybe I wasn't doing it correctly.
Anyway, I thought I had COVID and isolated accordingly. My son's symptoms were mild, wife and I had more and a big barking cough. We are near end of isolation and seem to be recovering OK.
My thoughts are with those sick and away from home support.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Honestly I think you need a PCR test. I had CoVid ( not on the Camino) and tested negative with a home test but still feeling sick went two days later to get a PCR test and it was positive . Either way, you need rest and better drugs. And a more professional opinion than a home test. Feel better!!

Honestly I think you need a PCR test. I had CoVid ( not on the Camino) and tested negative with a home test but still feeling sick went two days later to get a PCR test and it was positive . Either way, you need rest and better drugs. And a more professional opinion than a home test. Feel better!!
I was to the Farmacia today and got some new drugs. Already feeling better. I have 4 shots of Biontech and I recognize my symptoms from earlier colds this winter. Did a lot of PCR tests at those times.

Why not get a PCR test, @svanada ?
They are so easy to get.
There's no way any of us know from wishful thinking whether we actually have covid or a cold. And if you do, you are endangering others, regardless of how ok you feel.

They are so easy to get.
There's no way any of us know from wishful thinking whether we actually have covid or a cold. And if you do, you are endangering others, regardless of how ok you feel.
I have been staying in Pamplona for five days keeping to myself in a private room and wearing a mask when meeting people. I would say that is exactly what people with Covid are told to do, so …..

They are so easy to get.
My cold is not improving so today I go visit a doctor and let him decide what to do, Booked two more nights in Pamplona. This is getting expensive and will mean that my pilgrimage isn’t going to be completed. Feels somewhat unfair since I have caught whatever it is here on the Camino. Must begin to look for parts to jump. 7-10 days. Any suggestions?

My cold is not improving so today I go visit a doctor and let him decide what to do, Booked two more nights in Pamplona. This is getting expensive and will mean that my pilgrimage isn’t going to be completed. Feels somewhat unfair since I have caught whatever it is here on the Camino. Must begin to look for parts to jump. 7-10 days. Any suggestions?

Hop to the stage closest to where you can walk to Santiago with time remaining.

Get well soon.

Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been staying in Pamplona for five days keeping to myself in a private room and wearing a mask when meeting people. I would say that is exactly what people with Covid are told to do, so …..
I feel for you @svanada I would just add that the other reason for people to try to get the more accurate (pcR) tests done as soon as possible after onset of any symptoms (whether the rapid self test is negative or positive ) is that if you don’t feel better and end up taking an offical test days or even a week after symptoms, and it’s positive, the isolation clock will run from the day of the test.

We have just been through this with my husband after walking Chemin du Piémont. We had rapid tests with us but also sought tests by the pharmacist within 12 hours of first symptoms. It could have been just a cold - but If one or both of us had covid we wanted to know asap. My husband was positive so his (and my) isolation began straight away - and now we are free to continue our travels, though still being prudent around others

Wishing you all the best. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you @svanada I would just add that the other reason for people to try to get the more accurate (pcR) tests done as soon as possible after onset of any symptoms (whether the rapid self test is negative or positive ) is that if you don’t feel better and end up taking an offical test days or even a week after symptoms, and it’s positive, the isolation clock will run from the day of the test.

We have just been through this with my husband after walking Chemin du Piémont. We had rapid test with us but also sought tests by the pharmacist within 12 hours of first symptoms. It could have been just a cold - but If one or both of us had covid we wanted to know asap. My husband was positive so his (and my) isolation began straight away - and now we are free to continue, though still being prudent around others

Wishing you all the best. 🙏
Thank you 🙏🏻

@nycwalking had a good suggestion - all is not lost. Once you recover, jump ahead and walk from there.

And I can only repeat the advice of @anamcara.
If this is covid, the faster you get tested and on it, the faster you can get help and be out of isolation and on your way.

There's nothing unfair about getting infected with covid anywhere. It's all over the world, and when people begin to relax, there are bound to be consequences. You can catch it at home or on the camino, but on the camino it's more likely we relax our guard.

Get well soon, and buen camino when you do!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually I was at the hospital today and they tested a lot of parameters including Covid and everything was OK. I feel much better and will be able to start walking again tomorrow.
Great news! Take it easy to begin with.

Great news, but a word of warning. It is going to take you two or three days to get back into the swing of things. Take it easy; if time is an issue then may be a bus to Logrono and then start from there. Although it would be a pity to miss the church at Los Arcos. Buen Camino.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.