• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad experience Logrono

The Anacortesians

Take a walk, its good for your soul
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP 24 April 2016 - Santiago de Compostela 27 May 2016
We stayed at the municipal alberques in Logrono Saturday Apr 31 leaving Sunday. Checkout time is 8AM. We're staying an extra day in Logrono to let blisters calm down and have a hotel booked so we were taking our time leaving. At 730 a man came in to the bunk room and threw, literally threw our packs on the floor and said leave leave and then he departs. He's one of the ones who'd checked us in the night before. Not what I'd expected.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does sound aggressive and heavy-handed. An unpleasant experience. I do have one question. You say he threw your packs on to the floor - where had they been sitting immediately before? If they were on the bunks that may have been part of the problem. Many places have strict rules against that and it would be a breach of normal albergue etiquette.

Does sound aggressive and heavy-handed. An unpleasant experience. I do have one question. You say he threw your packs on to the floor - where had they been sitting immediately before? If they were on the bunks that may have been part of the problem. Many places have strict rules against that and it would be a breach of normal albergue etiquette.
Yes, I'd placed packs on bunk as we were taking our things from under the rack to pack up. He could have motioned to me to remove them but he grabbed them and tossed them to the floor and said leave leave. I didn't see any signs prohibiting. We weren't storing on the rack just packing. Oh well, into a hotel and try to fix blisters and back to the Way tomorrow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I'd placed packs on bunk as we were taking our things from under the rack to pack up. He could have motioned to me to remove them but he grabbed them and tossed them to the floor and said leave leave. I didn't see any signs prohibiting. We weren't storing on the rack just packing. Oh well, into a hotel and try to fix blisters and back to the Way tomorrow.

Although his reaction was a bit harsh you should never leave a pack ( even not for a minute ) on a bed( bunk ). It is the perfect way of transporting bedbugs.
IMHO there should not be a sign prohibiting this seeing it is general knowledge in an albergue.
And let us not forget either that a hospitalero is not a Saint, he could just have had a bad day...

Good luck with blisters and Buen Camino.

IMHO there should not be a sign prohibiting this seeing it is general knowledge in an albergue.
Last year on Levante I was harshly warned by a lady bartender after I put my backpack on a chair. Because I entered into this very dark bar from the sun in the middle of the day I couldn't see the warning stickers on the wall. And it was the chair not a bed :eek::)

I just took the Hospitalero training workshop this past weekend. This situation reminded me of the role playing we did. Each participant brought a problem and gave a problem. This definitely could have been in the script. Hilarious!! but not so funny in real Camino life. I wonder about all the pilgrims on the trail who are not on this forum and perhaps don't have a clue about the 'Don't put your pack on the bed' thing. It's easy to say that it is common knowledge, but many would not know this going in. I have empathy for both sides.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although his reaction was a bit harsh you should never leave a pack ( even not for a minute ) on a bed( bunk ). It is the perfect way of transporting bedbugs.
And let us not forget either that a hospitalero is not a Saint, he could just have had a bad day...

Good luck with blisters and Buen Camino.
Ok
However for common knowledge, in the first part up to before lo
I just took the Hospitalero training workshop this past weekend. This situation reminded me of the role playing we did. Each participant brought a problem and gave a problem. This definitely could have been in the script. Hilarious!! but not so funny in real Camino life. I wonder about all the pilgrims on the trail who are not on this forum and perhaps don't have a clue about the 'Don't put your pack on the bed' thing. It's easy to say that it is common knowledge, but many would not know this going in. I have empathy for both sides.
thanks for the note and now we know. No one had told us this for the first 6 days from SJPDP

[QUOTE="SabineP, post: 405744, member: 8463"

Good luck with blisters and Buen Camino.[/QUOTE]

I think this is harsh. Let's not forget that only a minute % of people walking are on this or other forums. While we Camino addicts know about the relationship between bedbugs, beds, and backpacks, I can assure you that I have inly learned about it on this froum and had always put my bag on the beds before that. I even used to use the upper and lower bunks when arranging my bag in the am as my back is problematic and I prefered not to be folded in half all the time.

As for the bad humour...If you'be had a bad day by 7:30 maybe the hospi gig is not for you or you have done it for too long. I have noticed that some of the crankier hospies have been some for whom this has become an integral part of their life and who might think every one kmows as much about the dos and don'ts of the Camino. BIt I will reserve judgement for when I become one of them, and just keep a safe distance. :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So sorry this happened to you.
Maybe he was having a bad day.
But I certainly know how an unkindness like this can hurt your heart.
Hopefully, the next few days will be better.
I hope your blisters heal. Enjoy the tapas at Logrono.

I think this is harsh. .
BIt I will reserve judgement for when I become one of them, and just keep a safe distance. :cool:

Harsh? Please let's not inflame the discussion - again! I don't think the poster was being harsh, just voicing an opinion.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So do I, after all... isn't it a way to avoid bed bugs hitching a ride on a backpack ;)?
Exactly, me too. But obviously some places doesn't allow that. Happened only once to me on several different Caminos.
Wow Kinkyone, I often put on a chair! Good to know.
I don't think that's common restriction so you just continue with doing that ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm sorry, HIS bad temper is not the logical result of the peregrinos placing the pack on the bed, and frankly shouldn't be part of the conversation. Thats simply providing an excuse for HIS poor behavior and blaming the peregrino for this guys actions. This guy is a wrong, period. For those who suggest a sign stating not to place packs on beds, would you also suggest a sign telling the hospitalero not to grab someones property and throw it on the ground? His grabbing a strangers belongings and throwing them on the ground is because he has never done this with me. Volunteer or not, the Muni manager should be advised.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not if it is a wooden chair .
Chinches live on wooden chairs?

Edit; posts suggesting leaving bags on wooden chairs would cause an issue were deleted making this post seem to come from out of the blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bedbugs live in the walls and mattresses and anything else that looks cosy.

I've been in albergues in France that won't allow you to take your bag into the room. I suspect they'd really like us to leave them outside ... in a shed ... on someone else's property. :)
Wooden chair doesn't seem cozy to me. ;).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This isn't the first time I've heard about a negative experience with the hospitalero at the municipal albergue in Logrono. Early on I minimized staying at municipal albergues due to how impersonal they could be, seems like they were there just to collect the €'s and after they were "completo" you wouldn't see them again.

I think the situation is a little bit exaggerated.....
First of all, on my first Camino, I never entered my mind that I should not put my pack on the bunk bed....until I realized for myself that that pack had been all over the place, especially on floors in and out of bars and restaurants, not to mention the baggage compartment in buses.
This is, in my opinion, only part of the reason not to put your pack on the bed. The other, of course is the spreading of bed bugs.
It's all a question of hygiene really.
The other factor is, but I'm guessing here, that the OP doesn't speak Spanish and, the hospitalero knew that, if he had been on duty the night before. Therefore, he was using his limited English..."leave, leave"! Probably couldn't put more of a sentence together than that!
One learns by one's mistakes! Please do enjoy your Camino!

First of all, on my first Camino, I never entered my mind that I should not put my pack on the bunk bed....until I realized for myself that that pack had been all over the place, especially on floors in and out of bars and restaurants, not to mention the baggage compartment in buses.
This is, in my opinion, only part of the reason not to put your pack on the bed. The other, of course is the spreading of bed bugs.
The other factor is, but I'm guessing here, that the OP doesn't speak Spanish and, the hospitalero knew that, if he had been on duty the night before. Therefore, he was using his limited English..."leave, leave"! Probably couldn't put more of a sentence together than that!
One learns by one's mistakes! Please do enjoy your Camino!
Well said - on all points. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[QUOTE="The Anacortesians, post: 405702, member: 53290] At 730 a man came in to the bunk room and threw, literally threw our packs on the floor and said leave leave and then he departs. He's one of the ones who'd checked us in the night before. Not what I'd expected.[/QUOTE]

There are, I think, about 250 or 300 albergues on the Camino Frances with usually at least two hospitaleros (who have chosen to volunteer) per albergue, so the chances are slim but it is possible to encounter at least one grouchy hospitalero on one of your 35 to 40 nights. Maybe you have met your quota??

At 730 a man came in to the bunk room and threw, literally threw our packs on the floor and said leave leave and then he departs. He's one of the ones who'd checked us in the night before. Not what I'd expected.
After standing on the sidelines watching the discussion develop, my position is as follows.
If it had been me there I would have been right in his face giving him probably the loudest gobful he'd had in his life.
That's just how I am.
My blood boils, rather quickly, when I come across rudeness or injustice.
Turn the other cheek? Meekly submit?
Not me cobber.
I take Jesus as my role model.
How I would like to have been there in the temple courtyard when he laid into the money changers and sacrifice sellers! People scattering, tables overturning, money and doves and chickens flying everywhere.
Jesus. My Hero!

Regards
Gerard

PS - Chickens?
Well maybe not chickens.

Last edited:
After standing on the sidelines watching the discussion develop, my position is as follows.
If it had been me there I would have been right in his face giving him probably the loudest gobful he'd had in his life.
That's just how I am.
My blood boils when I come across rudeness or injustice.
Not me cobber.
How I would like to have been there in the temple courtyard when he laid into the money changers and sacrifice sellers! People scattering with tables and money and doves and chickens flying everywhere.
Jesus. My Hero!

Regards
Gerard

PS - Chickens?
Well maybe not chickens.

Doves, Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's just how I am.
My blood boils when I come across rudeness or injustice.
Not me cobber.
How I would like to have been there in the temple courtyard when he laid into the money changers and sacrifice sellers! People scattering with tables and money and doves and chickens flying everywhere.
Jesus. My Hero!

Regards
Gerard

PS - Chickens?
Well maybe not chickens.
I don't understand what you are saying! That the peregrino should have done to the hospitalero what Jesus did to the money lenders? :confused: That's exactly what the hospitalero did; he just did it first. :D

I don't understand what you are saying! That the peregrino should have done to the hospitalero what Jesus did to the money lenders? :confused: That's exactly what the hospitalero did; he just did it first. :D

You're absolutely right. So why do I appreciate Gerard's reply? I think because, in a situation like this, I tend to freeze and then feel distressed for some time. I slink away, feeling ashamed both at whatever I may have done wrong and at my own timidity. Jesus was acting in response to what he saw as an insult to God, that what was intended to be a "house of prayer" had become "a den of thieves." I think he may also have been acting in sympathy with the temple worshippers, who were being cheated by these thieves. Perhaps Gerard is confident enough in his familiarity with the rules of the camino to be certain that this level of violent rudeness to unoffending pilgrims warranted a forceful response. Perhaps I just feel the relief of the timid when someone takes up the challenge of a bully. Whatever, I would be in the background, cheering (silently).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You're absolutely right. So why do I appreciate Gerard's reply? I think because, in a situation like this, I tend to freeze and then feel distressed for some time. I slink away, feeling ashamed both at whatever I may have done wrong and at my own timidity. Jesus was acting in response to what he saw as an insult to God, that what was intended to be a "house of prayer" had become "a den of thieves." I think he may also have been acting in sympathy with the temple worshippers, who were being cheated by these thieves. Perhaps Gerard is confident enough in his familiarity with the rules of the camino to be certain that this level of violent rudeness to unoffending pilgrims warranted a forceful response. Perhaps I just feel the relief of the timid when someone takes up the challenge of a bully. Whatever, I would be in the background, cheering (silently).
I wouldn't say, in this instance, that the peregrinos were "unoffending." They had put their packs on the bunks which, I think as the British say, is just not cricket. Would you want to sleep on a bed that someone had put his dirty pack on? Perhaps the hospitalero didn't have time or, as @annakappa says, didn't have the English language skills, to enter into a discussion as to whether it was acceptable or not and he thought he'd just nip it in the bud by coming through in no uncertain terms - firing with both barrels, so to speak. Perhaps he was just having a bad day.

In my personal experience, when someone is irrational, as some might say this hospitalero was, I find it best to try to diffuse the situation by saying as little as possible - it's his problem, not mine. Responding in anger or defensiveness serves no purpose other than to exacerbate the problem.

I'm not saying that we all just accept what is handed out to us; just that we pick our battles.

I agree. (Although the sheet they give you should be protective enough to allow you to lay the pack on it for a while)

And the same to packs on chairs.

Though it all depends on how sticky the ground is. At some bars or cafes i wouldn't stay if i couldn't let my pack on a chair.

Anyway, the guy was rude and miseducated, nothing excuses such unpleasant attitude.

Are we sure this guy is a hospitalero? Some municipal albergues are run by municipal workers, not volunteer hospitaleros. And some of these workers don't seem to be very happy with their job.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hanging on to a negative situation is somewhat like embracing a cactus....

Great thought, movinmaggie. And it reminded me of one of my favorite Nelson Mandela quotes. "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."

I understand why the OP wanted to vent, and hopefully now sees that there may have been something more going on (linguistically or culturally) than just plain rudeness. But in any event, surely this is not one of the big things, as in "don't sweat the small things." My guess is that the OPs have forgotten all about this by now. They actually didn't seem too upset about it in the first place, it's just our reverberations that got kind of extreme. :rolleyes:

Great thought, movinmaggie. And it reminded me of one of my favorite Nelson Mandela quotes. "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."

I understand why the OP wanted to vent, and hopefully now sees that there may have been something more going on (linguistically or culturally) than just plain rudeness. But in any event, surely this is not one of the big things, as in "don't sweat the small things." My guess is that the OPs have forgotten all about this by now. They actually didn't seem too upset about it in the first place, it's just our reverberations that got kind of extreme. :rolleyes:

Love that quote!

Ok- leaving in a few weeks for my first camino and reading all of this and trying to figure it out. Where should my pack be? on the floor? Where is it while I am packing it? on my lap as I sit on the floor? I am sorry for this bad experience but this is the first I have heard about the no pack on the bed rule. I sort of pictured myself staking claim to a bunk by putting my pack on it when I got there! I sure have a lot to learn! Can someone explain where the packs are to be stored if never on the bed or on a chair.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But ... but ... but ... Martin Sheen put his backpack on his bunk in the movie. Remember? In the albergue in Roncesvalles that wasn't really in Roncesvalles? ;) And that hospitalera wasn't any too friendly, either.

And later, when he did the right thing and left the backpack outside the cafe later in the movie, it got stolen! :eek:

Note to self: Do not use "The Way" as a serious guide to walking the Camino. :p

Where should my pack be? on the floor?
Put it in a large bag, even a plastic garbage bag, on the floor. When you leave it, tie it at the top. I carry a large dry bag with a foldover top just for that purpose. I really like having all of my things gathered there and protected, but you have to be a bit organized.

We stayed at the municipal alberques in Logrono Saturday Apr 31 leaving Sunday. Checkout time is 8AM. We're staying an extra day in Logrono to let blisters calm down and have a hotel booked so we were taking our time leaving. At 730 a man came in to the bunk room and threw, literally threw our packs on the floor and said leave leave and then he departs. He's one of the ones who'd checked us in the night before. Not what I'd expected.

NOT that it was a good reaction... but his side of a story could be: I'm at the end of my shift; after 15 days of dealing with all sorts of pilgrims (and he went through hundreds of them!) - I AM SO TIRED! and here is another one, violating the basic rule in every albergue! (I'm writing this from the perspective of numeral times being a "hospitalera", believe me, the last day "on duty" we are at the end of our love, patience etc).

NOT that it was a good reaction... but his side of a story could be: I'm at the end of my shift; after 15 days of dealing with all sorts of pilgrims (and he went through hundreds of them!) - I AM SO TIRED! and here is another one, violating the basic rule in every albergue! (I'm writing this from the perspective of numeral times being a "hospitalera", believe me, the last day "on duty" we are at the end of our love, patience etc).
And many thanks to you and all hospitaleros. And pats on your backs. Hope you've left time for a bit of walking. :)

I have just completed the Hospitalero training, but having been in the hotel business for years, I recognize burnout and did see a fair amount of it last year, but then I was walking late September and all of October. Imagine how some of the hospitaleros are feeling by that time. Again, not everyone is one this forum. How would anyone know the rules of the Alburgue if they have had no experience. There are all the first-timers out there. I expect many of them do ask where to put their pack when they arrive. I try not to ever forget when I was a newbie and in many ways still feel like one.

House rules being what they are I would follow them. That said I can't understand the logic here with backpacks. I've been to more than a hundred hostels around the world and I've never heard of this. Bedbugs are no fun but if they are going to be transferred it's most likely going to be either from the host or the sleeping bags or clothes of the host.

House rules being what they are I would follow them. That said I can't understand the logic here with backpacks. I've been to more than a hundred hostels around the world and I've never heard of this. Bedbugs are no fun but if they are going to be transferred it's most likely going to be either from the host or the sleeping bags or clothes of the host.
I have been thinking about the logic of this too. Simple cleanliness is a very good reason they don't want backpacks (which have been placed on many dirty surfaces) on the beds, so I am happy to follow the house rules. However, the bedbug reason doesn't make much sense. Your sleeping bag and other contents of your pack will eventually be put on the bed anyway. The bugs are more likely to be in cracks and crevices on the floor, than dangling from the outside of your backpack. Besides, if they jump off the backpack and are crawling around on a white sheet in the middle of the day, you will see them! I put the pack in a large (50 L) dry bag and put it on the floor - protects me from the albergue bugs and protects the albergue from any bugs I might be carrying! It also keeps my things tidy. We're all happy.

Ok- leaving in a few weeks for my first camino and reading all of this and trying to figure it out. Where should my pack be? on the floor? Where is it while I am packing it? on my lap as I sit on the floor? I am sorry for this bad experience but this is the first I have heard about the no pack on the bed rule. I sort of pictured myself staking claim to a bunk by putting my pack on it when I got there! I sure have a lot to learn! Can someone explain where the packs are to be stored if never on the bed or on a chair.

You stake your claim to a bed by putting your sleeping bag or liner on the bed (or other such items). Your bag goes on the floor under or beside your bed. Just think of how many times the bottom of your bag gets dropped on the ground, on floors, on the street, who knows where, why would you think to put it on a clean bed? It's kinda like putting your shoes on the bed when you come to think about it...

To pack your pack, you sit in your bunk or on an available chair, grip it between knees and proceed to pack. In my case, first goes the sleeping bag, then two large zip lock bags with clothes, (very much compressed) and then the remaining bits and pieces that don't go under the item clothes. If you are lucky, like my husband, his pack stands up without flipping over. Mine, an Osprey, do not want to self stand, hence it has to be gripped between the knees
I store mine under my bunk, if the floor is tiled.NEVER if it's a wooden floor. I often keep it in a large plastic bag. To claim your bunk, put some personal item on it. Many people lay out their sleeping bag. I leave mine on the bed, but still rolled up in its carry bag.
When I was hospitalero, the Albergue had several plastic covered photos of a back pack on a bed, with a large cross going through it. These were posted in strategical places. No need for words!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really don't think there is any need for rudeness
when you get to your bed after a long walk
all you want to do is have a rest
the last thing you need is a bad tempered hostlier
shouting at you .

There is a nice way to explain the house rules
to novice pilgrims.
just saying its nice to be nice .

Ah, yes....about hospitaleros: it's a very long day, usually starting by about 5 am, to have breakfast ready by 6, when the early birds are ready and roaring to go.... But they want their breakfast first!
Once everyone has left, by 8 am, it's time to clean.....dormitories, toilets, kitchen, communal areas,etc. plus getting on with several loads of wash ( bottom sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and cleaning towels). Hang out the wash if it's not raining.
As soon as you have had lunch, you open the doors for the days new group of Pilgrims. If the weather is lousy, then you really have to help them tend to their drying out of their clothes, boots etc. it all takes time. We then provided 'afternoon tea'! Well having been brought up in England, one would have thought that I should have know all about this? Not me, because after having left England in 1966 and then became a coffee addict, I had hardly ever made again a cup of tea!
A hospitalero is also an unprofessional physiologist ! So takes time to hear many, many experiences that the Pilgrims have encountered along their Way.
Eventually, the day draws to an end. If you are lucky, the Albergue will close the front door at 10pm and you can then flop into bed.....until the 5 am call the next morning!

Last edited:
I really don't think there is any need for rudeness
when you get to your bed after a long walk
all you want to do is have a rest
the last thing you need is a bad tempered hostlier
shouting at you .

There is a nice way to explain the house rules
to novice pilgrims.
just saying its nice to be nice .
Hi kerrychick, I was not replying g to this posting, when I just wrote about hospitaleros. You happened to post it while I was preparing mine about hospitaleros

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You stake your claim to a bed by putting your sleeping bag or liner on the bed (or other such items). Your bag goes on the floor under or beside your bed. Just think of how many times the bottom of your bag gets dropped on the ground, on floors, on the street, who knows where, why would you think to put it on a clean bed? It's kinda like putting your shoes on the bed when you come to think about it...
That's a good comparison: it's like putting your shoes on the bed!!!
Question? Would any of us want to do that?

Ah, yes....about hospitaleros: it's a very long day, usually starting by about 5 am, to have breakfast ready by 6, when the early birds are ready and roaring to go.... But they want their breakfast first!
Once everyone has left, by 8 am, it's time to clean.....dormitories, toilets, kitchen, communal areas,etc. plus getting on with several loads of wash ( bottom sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and cleaning towels). Hang out the wash if it's not raining.
As soon as you have had lunch, you open the floors for the days new group of Pilgrims. If the weather is lousy, then you really have to help them tend to their drying out of their clothes, boots etc. it all takes time. We then provided 'afternoon tea'! Well having been brought up in England, one would have thought that I should have know all about this? Not me, because after having left England in 1966 and then became a coffee addict, I had hardly ever made again a cup of tea!
A hospitalero is also an unprofessional physiologist ! So takes time to hear many, many experiences that the Pilgrims have encountered along their Way.
Eventually, the day draws to an end. If you are lucky, the Albergue will close the front door at 10pm and you can then flop into bed.....until the 5 am call the next morning!
I remember a quote a while back, but won't get it verbatim…something like "You often find yourself when you are in service to others". I loved the hospitality industry and still do. Just acknowledging a service person for a job well done, or just a passing compliment, can make their day.

I remember a quote a while back, but won't get it verbatim…something like "You often find yourself when you are in service to others". I loved the hospitality industry and still do. Just acknowledging a service person for a job well done, or just a passing compliment, can make their day.
Adriaan ( hubbie fraluchi) was in the hospitality industry all his career ( which kept us moving around the world continually)!
We so much enjoyed being hospitaleros, BUT it's hard work and some days very tiring! We are fortunate to speak a load of languages, so misunderstandings didn't happen, because at least, we could explain, very often in the language of the Pilgrim, what the 'rules' of the Albergue were and be able to ease them through their problems or needs, if any!
Read ' many languages' but not Korean,! But that's another story!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two experiences relating to backpack 'hygiene'.

1. A French lady advised me to do like her and always to put the rain cover on the back pack.. It does keep it immaculate and goes some way to protecting bugs from accessing the bag when laid on said covered side in the countryside.

2. Bilbao high-rise YHA up on the hill with one side facing the mutilane highway. There pilgrims HAVE to leave their bags and boots in lockers near the desk and can only take a plastic bag upstairs. Non pilgrims can do otherwise. All wonderfully explained. (I have never managed to stay in the regulation pilgrim Albergue as always full somehow!) Lovely staff too.

This year after my via Tolosane, I have booked into the five star Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao right opposite the Guggenheim. I wonder how they will handle me!!!! I only just managed to get a room as there must be a glam event...

Since leaving Logrono we've always put packs on the floor except one albergue where the top bunks were just wood platforms and we were told to store them there.

I

I think I know who you talking about, awful person with no regard for anyone but himself. Old man like that should work in prison and handle criminal inmates. He is an awful hater towards pilgrims and I do not know why he is involved with an albergue Shame on him :-(

Relax,
The hospitalero did the right thing, IMHO:

Placing your backpack on your bed means exposing your bed to all what your backpack has been through, into a new and clean bed: Not good. And he/she was probably very tired of unknowing pilgrims doing this. But you'll learn along the way.

Remember also, the hospitaleros are many times volunteers. They are there because they are devoted to helping pilgrims. As for newbies, they often need help. This newbie got help in a rough way, and it will be remembered.

To get it through, I will tell you a story:

On an autumn day, a little sparrow suddenly understood that he had forgotten to fly south for the winter, when it started to snow.
He took off, but as he reached height, it got so cold that his wings froze, and he fell to the ground.

As he laid deep frozen in a farmer's field, shivering, the farmer came plowing the field with his horse,
and as they passed, the horse left his droppings onto the sparrow.

The sparrow was becoming warm and comforfortable again from the heat of the shit, but then started to think: "I am covered in shit! I cannot stay like this!"
So the sparrow started to squeek and make all kinds of noises to call for help, and finally, the cat on the farm heard him, and came to assistance.

The cat cleaned the sparrow thoroughly, and then ate him.

The moral of the story:

The one who shits on you is not neccessarily your enemy.
The one who gets you out of the shit is not neccessarily your friend.
Finally, If you are warm and happy in a pile of shit; keep your mouth shut.

Do appreciate the albergues and the hospitaleros: They are there for you and your needs. If you need more, book a hotel for the night: I sometimes do...

PS: That being said: In 7 years of walking, I have never seen a bed bug, and I have never seen a person bothered by it. You are overreacting regarding bedbugs.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Relax,
The hospitalero did the right thing, IMHO:

Placing your backpack on your bed means exposing your bed to all what your backpack has been through, into a new and clean bed: Not good. And he/she was probably very tired of unknowing pilgrims doing this. But you'll learn along the way.

Remember also, the hospitaleros are many times volunteers. They are there because they are devoted to helping pilgrims. As for newbies, they often need help. This newbie got help in a rough way, and it will be remembered.

To get it through, I will tell you a story:

On an autumn day, a little sparrow suddenly understood that he had forgotten to fly south for the winter, when it started to snow.
He took off, but as he reached height, it got so cold that his wings froze, and he fell to the ground.

As he laid deep frozen in a farmer's field, shivering, the farmer came plowing the field with his horse,
and as they passed, the horse left his droppings onto the sparrow.

The sparrow was becoming warm and comforfortable again from the heat of the shit, but then started to think: "I am covered in shit! I cannot stay like this!"
So the sparrow started to squeek and make all kinds of noises to call for help, and finally, the cat on the farm heard him, and came to assistance.

The cat cleaned the sparrow thoroughly, and then ate him.

The moral of the story:

The one who shits on you is not neccessarily your enemy.
The one who gets you out of the shit is not neccessarily your friend.
Finally, If you are warm and happy in a pile of shit; keep your mouth shut.

Do appreciate the albergues and the hospitaleros: They are there for you and your needs. If you need more, book a hotel for the night: I sometimes do...

PS: That being said: In 7 years of walking, I have never seen a bed bug, and I have never seen a person bothered by it. You are overreacting regarding bedbugs.

I see your point but he was angry and violent towards a pilgrim, so as I see it he would be perfect volunteer for bad prisoners. Pilgrims should not experience angry behavior, but told in a manner so whatever wrongdoings can be corrected in a orderly manner and not by yelling and nasty behavior. He was very mean to the point of crazy. I really hope he gets another job. He was not good towards pilgrims. But I have him in my prayers.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back