• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad Experience - Mail Boxes Etc

Scott Fraser

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 17&18; Podiensis 19, VdlP exSalamanca 22
Be careful using Mail Boxes Etc to forward luggage to Santiago. I used them because the Post Office was closed. I was scheduled to arrive in Santiago on a Sunday and asked if getting my bag delivered in Santiago over a weekend would be a problem. I was assured it would be OK. "Just call us when you get to Santiago. We will bend the bag to your hotel."

Their brochure says: "We collect from Monday to Sunday from 8:30 to 22:00h". Key word here is "collect". I failed to notice that it does not say "deliver".

I arrived in Santiago late on a Friday. Called MBE for delivery. No answer. Same on Saturday and on Sunday. No answer. Finally got through on Monday morning.

If I had a flight out over the weekend I would have had to leave without my luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really don't see that this, unfortunate as it might be, justifies such a recommendation. Certainly letting others know that there is no delivery option and it appears the office is unattended on weekends is a good thing, but to suggest this justifies not using the company at all seems to me a step too far.

Last edited:
I would suggest that the most reliable method to forward luggage or a package to Santiago is to use Ivar's excellent service!

It not only the easiest and most reliable service...but it also helps keep this forum active.
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

The CASA IVAR link On the bottom of the page will also take you to the luggage storage site.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like a mistake by the employee at the location where you deposited your bag. Very awkward and potentially a big problem for you, so it is certainly worth reporting to the company and even posting a warning/clarification about the wording here. I doubt that it was deliberate deception. So I agree that the heading "Bad Experience..." is a bit extreme and could create a worse experience for that employee and the company, which is probably a small one with good intentions.

I would suggest that the most reliable method to forward luggage or a package to Santiago is to use Ivar's excellent service!

It not only the easiest and most reliable service...but it also helps keep this forum active.
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

The CASA IVAR link On the bottom of the page will also take you to the luggage storage site.
Will IVAR also accept items in Santiago & ship them to other points in Spain. In my case I would like to have some items shipped to Valencia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will IVAR also accept items in Santiago & ship them to other points in Spain. In my case I would like to have some items shipped to Valencia.
I used this service last year. At that time what was provided was a storage service. I used the Correos for shipping, but I presume that could be done by any shipping service. This is still how the service is described, ie Ivar is not providing a shipping service. @grayland's earlier description of it as a shipping service might not be entirely accurate.

I am not sure how my post would be interpreted as describing Ivar's storgage service as a shipping service ..but just in case ...Casa Ivar is a storage service in Santiago.

It would be a good idea to check out the links in the posts above to check on what services are offered. The website is very good and the information is clear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be careful using Mail Boxes Etc to forward luggage to Santiago. I used them because the Post Office was closed. I was scheduled to arrive in Santiago on a Sunday and asked if getting my bag delivered in Santiago over a weekend would be a problem. I was assured it would be OK. "Just call us when you get to Santiago. We will bend the bag to your hotel."

Their brochure says: "We collect from Monday to Sunday from 8:30 to 22:00h". Key word here is "collect". I failed to notice that it does not say "deliver".

I arrived in Santiago late on a Friday. Called MBE for delivery. No answer. Same on Saturday and on Sunday. No answer. Finally got through on Monday morning.

If I had a flight out over the weekend I would have had to leave without my luggage.
If you need help with shipping this home to you, let me know (ivar@casaivar.com). I am sorry this happened to you.

I am not sure how my post would be interpreted as describing Ivar's storgage service as a shipping service ..but just in case ...Casa Ivar is a storage service in Santiago.
I may have misinterpreted your intent when you suggested that
I am glad you have clarified the matter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Sept of last year I had shipped a box of clothing & misc items uneeded on the Camino, ahead to Ivar to hold until I arrived in Santiago. Unfortunately, I had to leave Spain several days from Santiago, on account of a family emergancy that has since been resolved. Ivar was kind enough to forward the package to my home. I prepaid Ivar the cost of shipping and this transaction went smoothly. I'm not sure if the forwarding of packages in his care is a normal part of his many great services, but in my case he was very accomodating.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back