• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad knees

tricia Williams

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in August 2017
Has anyone walked the Camino before with BAD knees. I have just found out I have grade 3-4 chondromalicia patella which is basically loss of nearly all cartilage in the patella area. I walked CF in 2017 and wore knee braces. I had one or two days the knees played up and suffered with low grade pain after Camino for a few weeks. I am walking in May and my Dr has said to still walk...

I do use two poles and will use braces on both knees. Will also see a physio this week to look at strengthening exercises.

Has anyone else experienced this and what helped / made it worse?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Hi sorry to hear of your diagnosis but believe me you can do it if you plan properly. I walked the Frances from St Jean last year wearing a giant metal brace, 2 anti shock Leki Poles, and carrying a battery operated TENS unit (electrical stim I slept with it on ...put it on every night after my shower). No pain meds only taking 400mcg magnesium daily , B complex and vitamin D. You can get ice if you need it. Keep your pack as light as possible and use pack transport to send your pack ahead if necessary. Plan your days so that any major climb comes at the start of your day because your knee will be the weakest towards the middle to end of day. Take it slow. Know your limits and dont be afraid to stop and take rest days if you feel you need it. The key for me was planning and accepting that pain is inevitable.

Donā€™t let anyone tell you you canā€™t, not even yourself. You can read my experience here on this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...cyborg-turtle-with-post-camino-summary.57400/

Last edited:
Hi sorry to hear of your diagnosis but believe me you can do it if you plan properly. I walked the Frances from St Jean last year wearing a giant metal brace, 2 anti shock Leki Poles, and carrying a battery operated TENS unit (electrical stim I slept with it on ...put it on every night after my shower). No pain meds only taking 400mcg magnesium daily , B complex and vitamin D. You can get ice if you need it. Keep your pack as light as possible and use pack transport to send your pack ahead if necessary. Plan your days so that any major climb comes at the start of your day because your knee will be the weakest towards the middle to end of day. Take it slow. Know your limits and dont be afraid to stop and take rest days if you feel you need it. The key for me was planning and accepting that pain is inevitable.

Donā€™t let anyone tell you you canā€™t, not even yourself. You can read my experience here on this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...cyborg-turtle-with-post-camino-summary.57400/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. I take magnesium (will check disease) and have some black diamond poles but will check the ā€˜shockā€™ aspect. I also have a tens which I have to say I donā€™t use so will get it out. I agree about planning. I am also going to have my bag transported and carry a day pack. I have 12 weeks so a good amount of time for a solid plan.

Thank you. I take magnesium (will check disease) and have some black diamond poles but will check the ā€˜shockā€™ aspect. I also have a tens which I have to say I donā€™t use so will get it out. I agree about planning. I am also going to have my bag transported and carry a day pack. I have 12 weeks so a good amount of time for a solid plan.
Let me know if you have any questions. I had 3 surgeries ( or is it 4 hmm cant remember lol) on my left knee including a osteotomy then they took the titanium screws out because they were not placed properly. I also had 2 left shoulder surgeries and a severe head injury. My knee cap completely detached I have no carteledge and I also had a torn meniscus on the same knee and broke the same knee 2 years ago from falling due to lack of strength in that leg so I feel your pain...been there done that., The other leg is no better currently on crutches awaiting a plasma injection on the right foot for heel spurs with microtears in my arch.

I will be on the Del Norte end of march taking it slow and dancing up and down the hills of Spain once again. Only you know your limits. Buen Camino and good luck. Your TENS will be your best friend. Donā€™t worry if the poles are not antishock they will help take the pressure off in either case have your physio show you how to navigate down hill properly using the poles. I also recommend good trail runner shoes/boots with good ankle support( my podiatrist recommend superfeet insoles i used on Frances), good blister resistant socks (I use wright socks some people use injuii toe Sox) and stop change socks often to avoid hot spots. Take care of your feet the feet take care of the knees. Take one step at a time you can do it...just dont forget to enjoy the view lol šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
Has anyone walked the Camino before with BAD knees. I have just found out I have grade 3-4 chondromalicia patella which is basically loss of nearly all cartilage in the patella area. I walked CF in 2017 and wore knee braces. I had one or two days the knees played up and suffered with low grade pain after Camino for a few weeks. I am walking in May and my Dr has said to still walk...

I do use two poles and will use braces on both knees. Will also see a physio this week to look at strengthening exercises.

Hi Tricia,
Sorry to read your predicament. Iriebabel has given excellent advice.
I too have bad knees although not to the same extent...thankfully. I have no cartilage in my right knee (from a teenage injury) which means bone-on-bone when walking. My left knee has its own cartilage issues & has taken a pounding due to compensating for my R knee. I did 'get away with it' for a few decades until age started catching up. Walking more than 3-4kms was excruciating; I'd be in tears & then pain for hours afterwards. Downhill was even worse.
After a day walk in Samaria Gorge on Crete in 2010...I muttered my most famous, famous last words...'my walking days are over'. Then I discovered the Camino & planned to walk it in 2012. But how was I going to do it?
I spent countless hours at Cradle Mountain National Park (here in Tassie) trying all manner of different things & combinations incl bandages, braces, medications, poles, etc. It usually ended in tears. Eventually I found my Golden Ticket & haven't looked back.
I re-taught myself to walk. It took a lonnnnggg time for it to become 2nd nature but now I don't even have to think about it.
The two main components for me are:
1/ Never, ever straighten my leg; always keep it bent to some degree
2/ (hard to explain) Control each step using the thigh muscle, ie rather than plonking your foot down with each step, ease it down using the strength in your upper legs. This makes you 'step lightly' & takes the strain & pressure off your knees.

In addition, age & ageing is a contributing factor & so is weight (both on your back & on your frame), both of which need to be taken into consideration.
As stated earlier, obviously my knee issues are nowhere near the severity of yours but experimenting with the actual way you walk may offer in part, some solution or relief.
Since finding & adopting my new method, I've walked thousands of kilometres in varied terrain, pain free; I no longer carry medication & even stopped packing my trusty knee bandages.

I'm so thankful I found the answer for me...I can't imagine not having found the thing I love to do most (long distance walking) or had the experiences I've had since I ignored my own words back in 2010.
I congratulate you on not giving up...hopefully you will find a way to manage the issue so you can, not only continue to walk, but also enjoy it without pain being the overriding factor.
Good luck, I wish you all the very best. šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Tricia,
I too have bad knees although not to the same extent...thankfully. I have no cartilage in my right knee (from a teenage injury) which means bone-on-bone when walking. My left knee has its own cartilage issues & has taken a pounding due to compensating for my R knee. I did 'get away with it' for a few decades until age started catching up. Walking more than 3-4kms was excruciating; I'd be in tears & then pain for hours afterwards. Downhill was even worse.
After a day walk in Samaria Gorge on Crete in 2010...I muttered my most famous, famous last words...'my walking days are over'. Then I discovered the Camino & planned to walk it in 2012. But how was I going to do it?
I spent countless hours at Cradle Mountain National Park (here in Tassie) trying all manner of different things & combinations incl bandages, braces, medications, poles, etc. It usually ended in tears. Eventually I found my Golden Ticket & haven't looked back.
I re-taught myself to walk. It took a lonnnnggg time for it to become 2nd nature but now I don't even have to think about it.
2/ (hard to explain) Control each step using the thigh muscle, ie rather than plonking your foot down with each step, ease it down using the strength in your upper legs. This makes you 'step lightly' & takes the strain & pressure off your knees.
In addition, age & ageing is a contributing factor & so is weight (both on your back & on your frame).
As stated earlier, obviously my knee issues are nowhere near the severity of yours but experimenting with the actual way you walk may offer in part, some solution or relief.
Since finding & adopting my new method, I've walked thousands of kilometres in varied terrain, pain free; I no longer carry medication & even stopped packing my trusty knee bandages.

I'm so thankful I found the answer for me...I can't imagine not having found the thing I love to do most (long distance walking) or had the experiences I've had since I ignored my own words back in 2010.
I congratulate you on not giving up...hopefully you will find a way to manage the issue so you can not only continue to walk but also enjoy it without pain being the overriding factor.
Nice to know you had success šŸ™‚.
I agree with #1 and #2. The Physio will help with both. The key is the key to strengthen the Quad muscle (#2) this gives your knee more strength. Each personā€™s injury is different and you offer some good advise. I will only add to give credit to your physio. The surgeon can try his best fix what he can but without your will and determination and the rehab work with the physio, the surgery would mean nothing.

I am so glad there are people walking the camino with bad knees - I am starting camino beginning of April and my knees are killing me - seems to be ligament problems - I am really keen to complete whole of camino- I have walked it all in stages - this is first time doing altogether and alone - this forum is wonderful as I have been extremely concerned as to whether or not I would be able for this really exciting adventure

I am so glad there are people walking the camino with bad knees - I am starting camino beginning of April and my knees are killing me - seems to be ligament problems - I am really keen to complete whole of camino- I have walked it all in stages - this is first time doing altogether and alone - this forum is wonderful as I have been extremely concerned as to whether or not I would be able for this really exciting adventure
You can do it you just need to prepare and have realistic expectations and a good plan. And I for forgot one thing @tricia Williams and @kazrobbo if you live outside of EU and have not done so I would highly recommend , as a contingency because of pre existing illness/injury, that you invest in a good travel insurance which had medical as a primary payer....this means they pay a deposit or in full payment directly to the hospital. I use the website squarmouth.com to compare insurance plans (I have no commercial or paid affiliation) and decide which plan is best for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

For what it is worth, I found the Portugues much easier on my knees than the Frances.

I didn't start the Frances with bad knees, or with poles and I suspect the lack of the latter led to the former. By the end of the first week I needed poles, a knee brace, and regular doses of ibuprofen to make it through each day's walk.

Two years later, I walked the Portugues from Porto. I trained well before this walk, with poles and a full backpack. I walked the Portugues with poles but no ibuprofen and no knee brace and had no problems. I'm not saying it will be the same for you. But my experience was that the Portugues was much nicer to my knees than the Frances. I hope you will find the same.

Braces, poles.
Zigzagging in steeps descents (as before ZubirĆ­, Sierra del PerdĆ³n, before Molinaseca (ugh! that was a killer one).
I have considered the possibility of recurring to a backpack carrier service in some difficult stages. I don't do that usually (for some uninteresting seudo philosophical motives), but I think that in these stages it would qualify as "sound medical reasons".

Braces, poles.
Zigzagging in steeps descents (as before ZubirĆ­, Sierra del PerdĆ³n, before Molinaseca (ugh! that was a killer one).
I have considered the possibility of recurring to a backpack carrier service in some difficult stages. I don't do that usually (for some uninteresting seudo philosophical motives), but I think that in these stages it would qualify as "sound medical reasons".

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yes I was worried and appreciate the experience held in this forum. Never thought of the tens machine. Not really sure what it does but will research it. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tricia,
In addition, age & ageing is a contributing factor & so is weight (both on your back & on your frame).

I congratulate you on not giving up...hopefully you will find a way to manage the issue so you can not only continue to walk but also enjoy it without pain being the overriding factor.

Thanks Kazrobbo. It sounds like my knees are same as yours... bone on bone. Thank you for advice about walking. It also gives me hope that my walking days are not over (I said this to my family the other day). I will speak also to me physio about your suggestions of walking. I have 3 months to practice. Appreciate this forum !

Yes I was worried and appreciate the experience held in this forum. Never thought of the tens machine. Not really sure what it does but will research it. Good luck!
Basically..the TENS stimulates the tissue but without giving you the boring details.. it will take the pain out and you will feel like a dream the next morning. talk to the physio about it they will no doubt show you how to use it during your rehab

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I found the Portugues much easier on my knees than the Frances.

I didn't start the Frances with bad knees, or with poles and I suspect the lack of the latter led to the former. By the end of the first week I needed poles, a knee brace, and regular doses of ibuprofen to make it through each day's walk.

Two years later, I walked the Portugues from Porto. I trained well before this walk, with poles and a full backpack. I walked the Portugues with poles but no ibuprofen and no knee brace and had no problems. I'm not saying it will be the same for you. But my experience was that the Portugues was much nicer to my knees than the Frances. I hope you will find the same.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can do it you just need to prepare and have realistic expectations and a good plan. And I for forgot one thing @tricia Williams and @kazrobbo if you live outside of EU and have not done so I would highly recommend , as a contingency because of pre existing illness/injury, that you invest in a good travel insurance which had medical as a primary payer....this means they pay a deposit or in full payment directly to the hospital. I use the website squarmouth.com to compare insurance plans (I have no commercial or paid affiliation) and decide which plan is best for me.
Appreciate the thought Iriebabel. The Australian health care system (Medicare) has a bi-lateral agreement with some EU countries. Irrespective of that, as far as travel insurance is concerned, I have always been very firmly in the 'Don't/Won't leave home without it' camp! Happy trails šŸ‘£šŸŒ

Appreciate the thought Iriebabel. The Australian health care system (Medicare) has a bi-lateral agreement with some EU countries. Irrespective of that, as far as travel insurance is concerned, I have always been very firmly in the 'Don't/Won't leave home without it' camp! Happy trails šŸ‘£šŸŒ
Ok great! I learned something new today. Thank you
I should rewrite my post to say those outside of EU and non EU health agreement countries.
I too never leave home without it. On a simular note my daughter went to Macchu Picchu over christmas had Lung edema as a result of prolonged altitude sickness. Her doctor persuaded her that she didnā€™t need travel insurance or altitude pills before leaving home. Long story short she entered the hospital in Peru with less than 46 % oxygen :eek: Yes imagine my phone call at what o clock am. But now she is back at work and recovering ...:) she is ok. She paid the hospital out of pocket then had to file with her personal insurance when she got home. ...hmmm lesson learned. She got to see Manchu Picchu but she was not happy. She had to do it with an oxygen mask and a lot of pills . The picture she took was with her back turned to the camera and the ruins in the background she didnt get to hike down, this was after begging the hospital too release her for the tour...after 2 days as an inpatient. She had a good lesson all around .

Last edited:
Thanks Kazrobbo. It sounds like my knees are same as yours... bone on bone. Thank you for advice about walking. It also gives me hope that my walking days are not over (I said this to my family the other day). I will speak also to me physio about your suggestions of walking. I have 3 months to practice. Appreciate this forum !
Good on you Tricia šŸ˜Š Long distance walking can be as much mental as physical.. where there's a will, there's a way. Changing the actual mechanics of how you walk could help...I certainly hope so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I should rewrite my post to say those outside of EU and non EU health agreement countries.
I too never leave home without it.
No need to edit your post...this forum is all about learning & sharing information. The collective knowledge & experience of all can be invaluable!

Braces, poles.
Agree with the zig-zagging. Also on occasion, I have gone down steep descents backwards! Sounds extreme (& looks funny...) but is very effective. šŸ˜Š

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I have pretty beat up knees and I have walked SJPP to SdC as well shorter routes on the CP and VF. I found that naproxan, K-Tape, Voltaren, carrying a backpack limited to 8 KG, and managing speed & distance worked for me. I anticipate using poles sometime in the future as well

I have been treated for chondromalicia in the past, I had a serious tibial plateau break three years ago, and my knee cartilage is thin. I think you will simply need to manage your distances, use poles and good running shoes, and use the anti-inflammatories and tape if needed. A nice vino tinto at lunch helps as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too never leave home without it. On a simular note my daughter went to Macchu Picchu over christmas had Lung edema as a result of prolonged altitude sickness. Her doctor persuaded her that she didnā€™t need travel insurance or altitude pills before leaving home. Long story short she entered the hospital in Peru with less than 46 % oxygen :eek: Yes imagine my phone call at what o clock am. But now she is back at work and recovering ...:) she is ok. She paid the hospital out of pocket then had to file with her personal insurance when she got home. ...hmmm lesson learned. She got to see Manchu Picchu but she was not happy. She had to do it with an oxygen mask and a lot of pills . The picture she took was with her back turned to the camera and the ruins in the background she didnt get to hike down, this was after begging the hospital too release her for the tour...after 2 days as an inpatient. She had a good lesson all around .

Wow i am glad your daughter is OK. I too would not travel without insurance. Thanks for all of your support. I really appreciate it.

I have pretty beat up knees and I have walked SJPP to SdC as well shorter routes on the CP and VF. I found that naproxan, K-Tape, Voltaren, carrying a backpack limited to 8 KG, and managing speed & distance worked for me. I anticipate using poles sometime in the future as well

I have been treated for chondromalicia in the past, I had a serious tibial plateau break three years ago, and my knee cartilage is thin. I think you will simply need to manage your distances, use poles and good running shoes, and use the anti-inflammatories and tape if needed. A nice vino tinto at lunch helps as well.

Thanks for the advice. I am pleased that i am using same pack and poles and boots i used for Camino Frances and they work. I have lots of ideas from the forum. Grateful to all.

I can't believe the Dr advised your daughter against travel insurance! Thats just irresponsible from someone in a position of trust & authority. Relieved to know your daughter came through it ok...she is now wiser but learnt the hard way.
This is off topic about bad knees but... the biggest case for travel insurance I ever witnessed was in Antarctica. A fellow passenger (also Australian) had a heart attack...fortunately at a land Base & not at sea. He was medivac-ed to the nearest hospital which was in New Zealand. The cost?... AUD $260,000...& that was 1998...hate to think what it would cost today. Thankfully, for that trip travel insurance was mandatory; he paid only the $200 excess. An extreme example but as we all know, anything can happen to anyone at anytime, anywhere. šŸ¤” Wishing everyone safe travels šŸ‘£ šŸŒ

Hi
I have a similar situation and I my doctor gives me a cortisone injection in each knee about 2 weeks before the Camino. No side effects and a massive help. Together with knee supports I have no problem walking 44 Klm in a day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-

I have decided to use transport service for my bag - I have been toying with the idea of carrrying it myself - it's probably time for me to accept that at 72 years of age and with bad knees - I must listen to my body - first lesson and camino hasn't even started - can I forward bag to municipal hostels ? Will they accept pilgrims who don't carry own pack ?

I read your tale of your Camino in preparation for my own, beginning in late April. Your thoughts and writing are quite wonderful and will travel with me in the Spring. Iā€™m grateful for both your practical tips and your inner journey through rain and snow and over mountain passes. Burn Camino, sister!

I also am so grateful for all the tips - thank you so much and thank you to everyone on this forum it is so enlightening and takes away fears and apprehensions I have had

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I have decided to use transport service for my bag - I have been toying with the idea of carrrying it myself - it's probably time for me to accept that at 72 years of age and with bad knees - I must listen to my body - first lesson and camino hasn't even started - can I forward bag to municipal hostels ? Will they accept pilgrims who don't carry own pack ?
Based on what I observed in Portugal, I wouldn't count on it if the bag just arrived and they have no knowledge of the age/medical reasons for using the service. I would give the municipal/parochial/association albergues a call first to explain that you want to send your bag to them and why. I have seen albergues with a policy of not accepting bags but I think they make exceptions for medical reasons. But if it just arrives and they don't know the reason, they won't make the exception.

I don't have as severe a situation as you do but I find a PainGone Pen easier to tote around than a tens machine (no batteries for a start) and PacerPoles takes the weight off of my knee more effectively than standard hiking poles.
Iā€™m afraid my knee is pretty serious its at the point of no return they just keep telling me at 51 im too young for a replacement...I will be 52 while on the Del Norte. The tens fits into my palm its small and does the job..i donā€™t mind the batteries the rechargeable dies while on the Frances so I used the ultimate batteries use for electronics. I buy a pack of 4 machine used 2 at a time so 1 pack lasted a good 2 weeks when used daily. I have Leki Anti Shock poles...cant live without them and my cyborg knee brace

Based on what I observed in Portugal, I wouldn't count on it if the bag just arrived and they have no knowledge of the age/medical reasons for using the service. I would give the municipal/parochial/association albergues a call first to explain that you want to send your bag to them and why. I have seen albergues with a policy of not accepting bags but I think they make exceptions for medical reasons. But if it just arrives and they don't know the reason, they won't make the exception.

Thank you for that information- I have never stayed in municipal hostels and thought this time I would like to give it a try in order to experience what I think may be a true camino ie carrying pack and staying in municipal Hostels - carrying my own pack and staying in municipal hostels may not work out - that will not deter me - CAMINO here I come šŸ˜€

I can't believe the Dr advised your daughter against travel insurance! Thats just irresponsible from someone in a position of trust & authority. Relieved to know your daughter came through it ok...she is now wiser but learnt the hard way.
This is off topic about bad knees but... the biggest case for travel insurance I ever witnessed was in Antarctica. A fellow passenger (also Australian) had a heart attack...fortunately at a land Base & not at sea. He was medivac-ed to the nearest hospital which was in New Zealand. The cost?... AUD $260,000...& that was 1998...hate to think what it would cost today. Thankfully, for that trip travel insurance was mandatory; he paid only the $200 excess. An extreme example but as we all know, anything can happen to anyone at anytime, anywhere. šŸ¤” Wishing everyone safe travels šŸ‘£ šŸŒ
Yes he said she was yound and really fit and that her insurance should cover here. What he forgot to tell her is she would have to pay out of pocket. I told her to get it. But she is stubborn so she has to learn the hard way. We spoke often via whats app when she was in the hospital and I am a medic with military training so I was not too worried because I knew once she got to the hospital she was getting proper treatment. But yes she has learned a good lesson and she will get her money back from her work insurance but it will take some weeks.

Wow...I had a simular experience .
I visit Norway and Sweden a lot as I have some friends there. I had a head injury in the military and about 4 years ago i was in Sweden I had a seizure, blacked out and was taken by ambulance to hospital. While there overnight I was not even aware I was in the hospital until I woke up in a mask in un familiar surroundings they didnt ask me for anything and they discharged me the next day. I thought it strange. But ok.

So when I got home a few weeks later I got a $10,000 bill from hospital emergency and ambulance. I have private health insurance at home and but I also have care at the veteran hospital. I filed my claim with my travel insurance and I was greatful I took the insurance with the medical being the primary payer. The travel insurance paid the hospital, ambulance and doctor directly and I paid $0 out of pocket. Apparently they hospital found my wallet and got my drivers liscence and passport with my name and address for which they used to send me the bill. I never leave home without the travel Insurance whic includes the medical portion as the primary payer because they also include a concierge service to act as a liaison.

Last edited:
Itā€™s a good idea. I used the service on a few days when my knee was acting up. Some hostels will accept bags. You will know because they will have the envelopes. If they dont accept it the service will drop the bags to a central location close by like a bar or a hotel. Jaco trans and Correos (spanish mail system,) are a couple popular transport systems i will update this post with a link if I can
https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/the-ways-to-santiago Click on the camino you are walking and there are some tips also there is a list of places albergue where they drop the bags. Click on Paq mochilla (spanish for backpack) to see your options.

Las reservas realizadas desde el 1 de noviembre hasta el 28 de febrero, tendrĆ”n que realizarse a travĆ©s del correo electrĆ³nico info@jacotrans.es
OK
https://www.jacotrans.es/en/

https://tuitrans.com/?lang=en

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I read your tale of your Camino in preparation for my own, beginning in late April. Your thoughts and writing are quite wonderful and will travel with me in the Spring. Iā€™m grateful for both your practical tips and your inner journey through rain and snow and over mountain passes. Burn Camino, sister!
Hahaha thank you. I have a quirky view of life and its woes. Working on getting my blog up and running before the norte. Iā€™m Leaving home end of march. Blog will be omoperc.com I will post something once I get it working properly.

Last edited:

ā‚¬83,-
Itā€™s a good idea. I used the service on a few days when my knee was acting up. Some hostels will accept bags. You will know because they will have the envelopes. If they dont accept it the service will drop the bags to a central location close by like a bar or a hotel. Jaco trans and Correos (spanish mail system,) are a couple popular transport systems i will update this post with a link if I can

Thank you iriebabel

Always travel insurance. I have both knees very bad. Bone on bone and was told 16 years ago both needed to be replaced. No meniscus in either and both have had arthroscopic surgery. I get gel injections at least once a year and also steroids injections. Iā€™ve done 3 Caminoā€™s and leaving again in May. I decided I will avoid a replacement until I canā€™t take another step. Buen Camino

Really love the love and sharing of advice on this page.

I think all the tips i could think have been shared. My saviours were kinesio/rock tape, ice ice and more ice, and pack transport (until i was strong enough to carry it).

I was really interested in the idea of 'learning to walk' again. An excellent reminder to get back into my strengthening exercises, particular for the quads! Thanks everyone x

Hi
I have a similar situation and I my doctor gives me a cortisone injection in each knee about 2 weeks before the Camino. No side effects and a massive help. Together with knee supports I have no problem walking 44 Klm in a day.
Cortisone for some reason doesnt work for me. Didnā€™t work on my shoulder 2 shoulder surgeries, didnt work on my knees 3or 4 knee surgeries if you count the screw removal ... and now my right foot. Read my last post and you will get the idea .https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/heal-spurs-and-micro-tears-and-more-oh-my.59617/ you can also see my picture with the massive knee brace ...its custom made for my leg. Cortisone doesn't work for everyone but yes itā€™s worth a try....always consult your doctor and he/she will advise what options are best based on your individual symptoms/problems.

Yes he said she was yound and really fit and that her insurance should cover here. What he forgot to tell her is she would have to pay out of pocket. I told her to get it. But she is stubborn so she has to learn the hard way. We spoke often via whats app when she was in the hospital and I am a medic with military training so I was not too worried because I knew once she got to the hospital she was getting proper treatment. But yes she has learned a good lesson and she will get her money back from her work insurance but it will take some weeks.

Wow...I had a simular experience .
I visit Norway and Sweden a lot as I have some friends there. I had a head injury in the military and about 4 years ago i was in Sweden I had a seizure, blacked out and was taken by ambulance to hospital. While there overnight I was not even aware I was in the hospital until I woke up in a mask in un familiar surroundings they didnt ask me for anything and they discharged me the next day. I thought it strange. But ok.

So when I got home a few weeks later I got a $10,000 bill from hospital emergency and ambulance. I have private health insurance at home and but I also have care at the veteran hospital. I filed my claim with my travel insurance and I was greatful I took the insurance with the medical being the primary payer. The travel insurance paid the hospital, ambulance and doctor directly and I paid $0 out of pocket. Apparently they hospital found my wallet and got my drivers liscence and passport with my name and address for which they used to send me the bill. I never leave home without the travel Insurance whic includes the medical portion as the primary payer because they also include a concierge service to act as a liaison.
Oh dear...so glad you're okay too. Once again an illustration of anything/anyone/anytime/anywhere.
We are the same age & I too have knee replacement in my future. My issues aren't as severe as yours & those of Tricia (yet...) so it makes me more determined to get 'out there' & do all I can now, while I can. Onwards! šŸ‘£ šŸŒ

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh dear...so glad you're okay too. Once again an illustration of anything/anyone/anytime/anywhere.
We are the same age & I too have knee replacement in my future. My issues aren't as severe as yours & those of Tricia (yet...) so it makes me more determined to get 'out there' & do all I can now, while I can. Onwards! šŸ‘£ šŸŒ
Yes for sure . you will see me head phones on dancing up and down the hills of Spain ...keeps my mind off the pain and itā€™s so much fun. You are right. Onwards!!!

I read all the way through. Great advise.
On CF I pulled/tore the ligaments in my left knee on day 4. Kept walking slowly with a brace. Made it half way. We came home a year ago and I was on crutches, then a cane. Today I walked one mile with my brace on.

I will go again and finish. I so need to walk again.

Great advice, my both knees are buggered bone on bone sounds like an old barn door opening
I have kept off the pills unless I really need them, I do use the gel now and then
I have now bought supports
I will be doing FrancƩs starting at SJPDP at end of September
Looking forward to it but have been worring about my knees
But reading all of this gives me more go to to do it šŸ‘šŸ»

For anyone with knee issues, joint issues I highly recommend Magnesium. Consult your doctor of course but whether itā€™s pills or the oil I cannot live without it. You see I am allergic to almost everything under the sun hahah that means I canā€™t take a lot of pain pills, pain relevers so the magnesium works ..cannot go a day without it. Anti shock trekking poles ok any trekking poles will do but the antishock will give a little extra umph...good shoes , good insoles, and a good brace, patella straps or kinesiology tape and get with your physio therapist or Orthopedic specialist, podiatrist. And most of all stretch, stretch before, during, and after your walks. Find what works for you. The best advise I can give is except that pain is your friend, know your body and know how your body reacts to pain. Donā€™t fear pain. Pain tell you when something is not right different pains tells a different story and if you have chronic pain like I do...then make it your very best friend. Accept that it is there and work with it not against it. Never let it stop you.. you can do it! Buen camino everyone !

I walked my first camino on the CF in 2013. I had osteo-arthritis in both knees and significant cartilage loss. I used poles and, realising my knees would need all the help they could get, three months ahead of my departure I had both knees injected with a product named Synvisc One. This reduced stiffness in my knees greatly and allowed me to walk with confidence. I have walked three more caminos since then and had the injections each time; however on my most recent trip they did not help. It seems that eventually the treatment loses efficacy. For others I know it does not work at all.
At the end of each day my knees would ache badly when I went to bed in the albergue, but I managed this with pain killers to help me sleep. Usually the knees were back to "normal" next morning.
Walking the VdlP in 2016 I was forced to quit at Salamanca with bad knee pain. I returned the next year with a knee brace and was able to complete the journey to SdC without too much difficulty.

I agree with the advice of others to know your limitations and proceed at your own comfortable pace taking plenty of rest days and employing sensible pain relief methods. I'm 68 now and certainly don't believe my walking days are over, but I choose my camino routes carefully for distance and difficulty.

I haven't experienced that but I have had a knee replacement and did just find. There is a wonderful shot that is natural that works very well. It is called SynVisc One. It is rooster's comb. It helps fill in the area where the cartilage is gone. Give it a try and good luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Tricia,

In addition, age & ageing is a contributing factor & so is weight (both on your back & on your frame), both of which need to be taken into consideration.

I congratulate you on not giving up...hopefully you will find a way to manage the issue so you can, not only continue to walk, but also enjoy it without pain being the overriding factor.
This is a very useful post as thinking about how you walk. I currently have fractured patella so this will be relevant for me for my rehab and when the pot comes off . Thanks for posting

This is a very useful post as thinking about how you walk. I currently have fractured patella so this will be relevant for me for my rehab and when the pot comes off . Thanks for posting
Hope it helps Maggie. I think the actual way we walk is often overlooked because it's so natural & done on auto-pilot. We tend to think walking is just walking & its all the same but its not. A good indicator of how we walk is the way we wear down the soles of footwear...are they worn down evenly?, moreso on one side than the other? etc.

I'm cringeing at the thought of your injury & wish you all the very best for your recovery & rehab. Where there's a will, there's a way!
šŸ‘£šŸŒ

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.