• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad manners/behaviour in Santiago!!

Time of past OR future Camino
"2011" Portuguese "2012/13/16"Frances X 2 + Finistere" 2015" Porto "2017"Primitivo "2019" Norte
I finished the Primitivo on Sunday 25th June and about 10pm came to the "large" Praza obridoiro to enjoy the marvellous galician music on and song often provided by the 14 or so troubadours in costume under the portico opposite the Cathedral. I was delayed getting there by some beautiful songs by a tenor/baritone who sang where the piper plays under the archway entrance to the Praza. Crowds sat on the steps and applauded loudly as he with a backing track- but without amplification - went from Eidelweiss to Nessan Dorma ++++ and had the crowd singing with him. Brilliant!!
I then went across the Praza and heard the the troubadours as I came closer to the Portico. They were also brilliant and had a large crowd singing and even dancing to their music. After about 20 mins -10.40- a lot of shouting and organised chanting started just outside the portico as over 100, 15-20 year olds ran around like an indian wardance shouting banal silly chants of the type- umpa umpa sick it up your jumpa . They were led by cheerleaders in the centre of this "mob". It is a very spacious Praza with room for all but they continued prancing and shouting in this area like at a bad tempered football match, I like football, until the troubadours gave up and we all had to disperse. Generation gap!!!!! Respect!!! They may have been young pellegrinos but their behaviour was an insult to the Camino spirit. I hope they come to realise this. They spoiled a beautiful evenings entertainment for so many. I felt sad. Ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's unfortunate that your evening was spoiled. Such behaviour does not live up to my standards of good taste, either.:eek: However, there are many things in life to be sad about, and this would not be high on my list. Try to put it in perspective and recognize their good cheer. (That's what I tell myself when I get annoyed by similar situations, and see that I am being the grumpy one. )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why deliberately spoil others their enjoyment. They could have chosen any other part of the very large praza. They set out to do this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Remember .... we can't stop things from happening, we can only decide if they are good or bad...

but why deliberatley spoil others their enjoyment. They could have chosen any other part of the very large praza. They set out to do this.
Because that is what teenagers do. And who says they walked the trail? And especially in any sense as a "pilgrimage"? Just toursty, filled with intelligence and compassion disactivating hormones, teens. No need to read much into what they did.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry your evening was affected in a negative way - good though that you did have some time to enjoy the opera and the troubadours. . I do want to say, the Praza do Obradoiro is a public square and used by all - not only pilgrims. Over my several visits there now, I've experienced many group events...music of all kinds, religious processions and ceremonies, political rallies and protests, children's soccer matches, pilgrim rituals, large tour groups, dance groups, weddings, marching band competitions, documentary film making, little white tourist trains :) ~ sometimes single events ~ sometimes multiple events at the same time ~ sometimes disruptive but all part of the alive, vibrant life of a public European square. I enjoy it all, but that being said...I think my favourite time in the Obradoiro is very early in the morning at dawn when it's completely empty and other than birdsong, very quiet. :)

That reminds me. I bought a CD from those wonderfully costumed troubadours. I like to buy good buskers music. It's a gift that never stops giving. Takes me enjoyably back to all kinds of places. Best souvenir ever.
Now I must go find the CD.
Bugger. Just realised I've got nothing to play it on.
Have to get my son to digitise it for me.
Damn helpful sometimes children, aren't they?
Sometimes.
Regards
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finished the Primitivo on Sunday 25th June and about 10pm came to the "large" Praza obridoiro to enjoy the marvellous galician music on and song often provided by the 14 or so troubadours in costume under the portico opposite the Cathedral. I was delayed getting there by some beautiful songs by a tenor/baritone who sang where the piper plays under the archway entrance to the Praza. Crowds sat on the steps and applauded loudly as he with a backing track- but without amplification - went from Eidelweiss to Nessan Dorma ++++ and had the crowd singing with him. Brilliant!!
I then went across the Praza and heard the the troubadours as I came closer to the Portico. They were also brilliant and had a large crowd singing and even dancing to their music. After about 20 mins -10.40- a lot of shouting and organised chanting started just outside the portico as over 100, 15-20 year olds ran around like an indian wardance shouting banal silly chants of the type- umpa umpa sick it up your jumpa . They were led by cheerleaders in the centre of this "mob". It is a very spacious Praza with room for all but they continued prancing and shouting in this area like at a bad tempered football match, I like football, until the troubadours gave up and we all had to disperse. Generation gap!!!!! Respect!!! They may have been young pellegrinos but their behaviour was an insult to the Camino spirit. I hope they come to realise this. They spoiled a beautiful evenings entertainment for so many. I felt sad. Ultreia
Did they intentionally mean any harm?
No? Let them have there fun. We are only young once.
Here in my hometown walking around the town doing some training for my Camino I see many beautiful baseball & soccer fields empty.
They do not allow the kids on the field unless it is a supervised game/match with adults present.
And then we criticize the kids for sitting in front of the TV, playing video games or talking on there phones all summer. Crazy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did they intentionally mean any harm?
No? Let them have there fun. We are only young once.
Here in my hometown walking around the town doing some training for my Camino I see many beautiful baseball & soccer fields empty.
They do not allow the kids on the field unless it is a supervised game/match with adults present.
And then we criticize the kids for sitting in front of the TV, playing video games or talking on there phones all summer. Crazy
Yes! thats why i bothered to write the post. I deal with teens all the time as a teacher. When they broke up the concert the musicians went the cheerleaders led them chanting from the square.

The proscription regarding judging another's Camino ONLY applies if they are indeed arriving pilgrims and not just teens recently finishing their school exams and cutting loose with the energy of youth...ahhh...wasted on the young...

I agree the behaviour was boorish, in poor taste and selfish. But, they are teens, aren't they? ...been there done that...MANY decades ago...at least until my mom or dad found out...YIKES!

Good to get this out of your backpack, Christy...!!!

Because that is what teenagers do...

Not me.
Santiago de Compostela (praza) is not a playing ground nor football field.
It is one of the few sacred pilgrimage grounds in the world. Pretty sure this behaviour would not be tolerated for long in Vatican City or the peaceful Plaza at Lourdes..

Most likely these kids would have listened if someone in authority (adult) told them to please conduct their behaviour elsewhere.
Or perhaps you could have stepped forward, Christy, to change the dynamic...?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is one of the few sacred pilgrimage grounds in the world. Pretty sure this behaviour would not be tolerated for long in Vatican City or the peaceful Plaza at Lourdes..

Most likely these kids would have listened if someone in authority (adult) told them to please conduct their behaviour elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more. It's never too early to teach children to respect others and behave accordingly. Saying that kids will be kids is simply justifying lazy parenting.

Not me.
Santiago de Compostela (praza) is not a playing ground nor football field.
It is one of the few sacred pilgrimage grounds in the world. Pretty sure this behaviour would not be tolerated for long in Vatican City or the peaceful Plaza at Lourdes.....?

Actually this plaza belongs not only to the pilgrims, but also to the people that live in Santiago/Galicia.
Buen Camino, SY

Actually this plaza belongs not only to the pilgrims, but also to the people that live in Santiago/Galicia.
Buen Camino, SY
Boorish behaviour is boorish behaviour, full stop. The spraza was empty at that time of night bar the troubadour/audience group. The cheerleaders were encircled by hundred ++ of chanters so conversation was out. I have hundreds of happy events on my many Caminos, this was just one bad one.

Members on here know better. Respect each other. Respect churches. And the Camino.

Unfortunately, the message is not getting out to those who need to be corrected.

I just love it when others make excuses for these types. Instead of saying what it really is.

This goes hand-in-hand with the people who leave their trash on the Camino. Who are rude and disrespectful in churches. Who get up at 4 am and make noise, turn lights on, talk, etc in the A'berg.

Seems this is universal these days. Rude, disrespectful, all for "me" attitudes. Everyone needs a hug. An award. Instead of proper guidance and corrections when needed.

My first attempt to walk a Camino was in 1981. In the last few years I have walked three.
Over the years I have noticed that certain streets of Santiago are now nothing more than trashy, junk filled stores. Street is full of rude people.

This May I noticed more drunks and people acting like idiots in Santiago. One guy was doing a you know what on the street. Another drunk was laying in the middle of the sidewalk.
These are not locals and not Spaniards. These are our friends from elsewhere who leave their manners at home.
That is if they had any manners and proper up bringing at home.

I actually got tired of this nonsense on my last Camino. Things have changed. The Camino is nothing more than a reflection of our society today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boorish behaviour is boorish behaviour, full stop. The spraza was empty at that time of night bar the troubadour/audience group. The cheerleaders were encircled by hundred ++ of chanters so conversation was out. I have hundreds of happy events on my many Caminos, this was just one bad one.

Beauty (and the opposite of it it) lies in the eye of the beholder. The group you mentioned will well have fond memories of that moment. Who is right? Who is wrong? Perhaps it is like on the Camino - sharing a common space, even if we are (very) different. Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree the behaviour was boorish, in poor taste and selfish. But, they are teens, aren't they? ...been there done that...MANY decades ago...at least until my mom or dad found out...YIKES!
What can you expect from people whose frontal cortex is not yet fully developped? Hence why I cringe at the fact that we let them vote at 18. No judgement = no voting. Too much at stake. o_O

These are not locals and not Spaniards. These are our friends from elsewhere who leave their manners at home.
That is if they had any manners and proper up bringing at home.
I have very little patience for people in general, and deplore they way the Frances has gone since I first walked it 10 years ago but ...

Give me a break! Not locals and not Spaniards? They certainly were in the tiny villages along VDLP, and not a foreigner in site in San Sebastian during the regatas when the streets of the old town are filled with drunks, cobble stones wet from alcohol and ...oh, and the mess and noise in Oviedo on the street where the cidrerias are located.

Many foreigners are behing badly, and not showing much if any respect for the Camino and the towns they visit and walk through, but they are in good company.

Ok, I'm done.

I left Santiago early on the morning of 25 June but I did see at least 3 large groups of young people about the ages mentioned. We were 2 or 3 days away from SDC. They were walking a little slower than most of us. They were all very polite and always moved to the side to let others pass their rather large group. I was impressed with their attitude.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I finished the Primitivo on Sunday 25th June and about 10pm came to the "large" Praza obridoiro to enjoy the marvellous galician music on and song often provided by the 14 or so troubadours in costume under the portico opposite the Cathedral. .......... as he with a backing track- but without amplification - went from Eidelweiss to Nessan Dorma ++++ and had the crowd singing with him. Brilliant!!

Maybe it was the mix of Galician traditions with other "peoples" music that they did not like. Oh wait what is that that I hear?

:):):):):):):p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.