• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad Pilgrim starts from Alicante!

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi ho,

Less than a week before I go!

I thought about creating a live thread, but I suspect I will have no time nor the technology to do regular updates. Perhaps I will write something about it once I get back home.

I will take a lot of pictures, and take notes in the guide I have printed if there are any inconsistencies!

So here is the plan: it has all come down to

1) Ruta de la Lana: Alicante - Burgos
2) Bus to Irún OR Bayonne to do the Camino Vasco Interior OR the Camino de Baztán
3) Then if I have enough time I take the train (?) to Ponferrada to walk the Camino de Invierno (2nd time) to Santiago.

Will anyone be on the road the same time as me? Mostly in July? Please let me know! I think there will be veeery few people on the Lana, at least once it definitely separates from the Sureste/Levante...

I am in a hurry to buy all the items I need... Really stressed right now!! :Oo

See you around!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Bad Pilgrim
A big challenge for you in the current heat. But I know you've prepared well from many previous responses on this forum. It's such a great help to us all!
I just wanted to add my good wishes to you on this/these way/s for July.
Buen camino
Annie

Hola Bad Pilgrim
A big challenge for you in the current heat. But I know you've prepared well from many previous responses on this forum. It's such a great help to us all!
I just wanted to add my good wishes to you on this/these way/s for July.
Buen camino
Annie

Thanks, but I am no super hero... I will quit if it becomes too much. I have suffered heat strokes 2 times on previous caminos so I know when to stop... I will give it a try though! :O)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Safe travels BP and Buen Camino!

Hola BP!

If you choose Vasco del Interior in stage no.2 let me know if you would need anything. I walked it past summer and memory still serves me ;)

Buen Camino Combo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola BP!

If you choose Vasco del Interior in stage no.2 let me know if you would need anything. I walked it past summer and memory still serves me ;)

Buen Camino Combo!

Yees, I still don't know. I will decide that when I am in Burgos and then I know how much time I have left for the other Caminos.

The Lana seems to be difficult to divide as I want. Less options than the Levante/Sureste, when I looked through the guidebook (the one I couldn't scan because the file was too big). If I can make the Lana in 20-25 stages I have time for the Vasco, but if it takes me 25-30 stages I will have to choose the shorter one (Baztanés) :Oo

/BP

All the best Bad Pilgrim!

Enjoy, find some shade, drink enough water...By now you know the tricks! ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi again, this is my sixth day on the Lana! Difficult typing on cellphone... I just wanted to post something...

Some facts:

My stages so far: Alicante, Orito, Sax, Caudete, Almansa, Alpera, and today in Alcala del Júcar. Only one other pilgrim in Caudete, and he was not following the Lana so I will not see him again. Very hot weather, the two first stages from Alicante were horrible!! Then it has been bearable. In Orito, I was the first pilgrim to stay in June, and this was the 23 of June! In Caudete there had been no pilgrim for ten days. Difficult to sleep because of San Juan (screaming kids in every town) and the heat. Todays walk between Alpera and Alatoz has been the most beautiful so far, ondulating landscape, a lot of water, some flowers in spite of heat, a lot different from the Levante that also runs in the area I would say. But I went on to Alcala del Júcar, touristy town with... tourists, and the concentration of flashy hotels that comes with that. No albergue of course. Zero pilgrim spirit here, sorry. Ok that is all for now folks. Wish I could upload pictures, do not know how. Byyyyye!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 7: Alcala del Júcar to Villarta.

About 39 kms. Temperatures are dropping almost all over Spain now so today was ok. Although at the end of the day you still feel overexposion of sun. It is also quite windy, which cools down the impression of heat. Today was almost 40kms of vineyards. Everything the same. Easy walking though and plenty of villages sprinkled along the way with an amazing amount of bars with café con... Sorry, I meant an amazing amount of culture and history... Oups...

Villarta, a room in the bar Los Tubos: 14 euros, with AC, wifi...! Wow! The owner is member of the Asociación de Camino De Santiago en Albacete, so helpful! And I must say, finally a woman. Is it just me or are most people involved in these Asociacones men? I am not talking hospitaleras, but members of Asociación del Camino del Sureste, Lana and so on.

Tomorrow there is 35 kms to Campillo, and only one place in between with..
Hrrm... Culture and history... Too bad...

Byyyyye <3

Day 7: Alcala del Júcar to Villarta.

About 39 kms. Temperatures are dropping almost all over Spain now so today was ok. Although at the end of the day you still feel overexposion of sun. It is also quite windy, which cools down the impression of heat. Today was almost 40kms of vineyards. Everything the same. Easy walking though and plenty of villages sprinkled along the way with an amazing amount of bars with café con... Sorry, I meant an amazing amount of culture and history... Oups...

Villarta, a room in the bar Los Tubos: 14 euros, with AC, wifi...! Wow! The owner is member of the Asociación de Camino De Santiago en Albacete, so helpful! And I must say, finally a woman. Is it just me or are most people involved in these Asociacones men? I am not talking hospitaleras, but members of Asociación del Camino del Sureste, Lana and so on.

Tomorrow there is 35 kms to Campillo, and only one place in between with..
Hrrm... Culture and history... Too bad...

Byyyyye <3

BP : impresive but please take care in that heat!!! Now rest!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 8: Villarta to Campillo de Altobuey

Chilly yesterday, at 19.30 when I went to buy food, I should have worn a sweater! No more tropical nights. And this morning I wore my jacket until 10.00 am. First part only vineyards, second part much nicer, looked like Via de la Plata in some places, ondulating landscape was back again, rural tracks, very beautiful road and easy walked. Took many photos, so peaceful. Only around 1 pm one could feel some heat. A cold breeze blowing constantly, but sunny weather. Perfect!

This is my first polideportivo. Villages are very small in this area up until Cuenca, so not many alternatives where to stay. Tomorrow I may have to stay in a Social Center, very basic without showers!! aaah what have I done to deserve this. I have tried to phone a Casa rural, 20 euros, but not answering. We will see... I hope the track stays as nice as today!!

BP

Day 8: Villarta to Campillo de Altobuey

Chilly yesterday, at 19.30 when I went to buy food, I should have worn a sweater! No more tropical nights. And this morning I wore my jacket until 10.00 am. First part only vineyards, second part much nicer, looked like Via de la Plata in some places, ondulating landscape was back again, rural tracks, very beautiful road and easy walked. Took many photos, so peaceful. Only around 1 pm one could feel some heat. A cold breeze blowing constantly, but sunny weather. Perfect!

This is my first polideportivo. Villages are very small in this area up until Cuenca, so not many alternatives where to stay. Tomorrow I may have to stay in a Social Center, very basic without showers!! aaah what have I done to deserve this. I have tried to phone a Casa rural, 20 euros, but not answering. We will see... I hope the track stays as nice as today!!

BP

Enjoy Cuenca! It is a stunning town.

Hi everyone,

It may be Game over for this time. I have tendonitis in my right foot. I haven't been to a doctor but I know... I am currently in Retortilla de Soria and just resting. It has rained for three days which has made the roads really difficult at some stretches, so perhaps it has affected my feet. I have done the usual distances that I am used to, but this weather really made it all to difficult and of course I should have reduced my pace or stages which I didn't... Not cool. I will see how I feel tomorrow but I can see now that I have very little chances to carry on. I am currently moving through very small villages (tomorrow's stop, if I get there, has 24 inhabitants), and I don't see how I would get to a bus stop though. This is not good... The Camino is spectacular and although I have done the greater part of it, now it feels as if I will loose it all...

/BP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,

It may be Game over for this time. I have tendonitis in my right foot. I haven't been to a doctor but I know... I am currently in Retortilla de Soria and just resting. It has rained for three days which has made the roads really difficult at some stretches, so perhaps it has affected my feet. I have done the usual distances that I am used to, but this weather really made it all to difficult and of course I should have reduced my pace or stages which I didn't... Not cool. I will see how I feel tomorrow but I can see now that I have very little chances to carry on. I am currently moving through very small villages (tomorrow's stop, if I get there, has 24 inhabitants), and I don't see how I would get to a bus stop though. This is not good... The Camino is spectacular and although I have done the greater part of it, now it feels as if I will loose it all...

/BP

Oh BP, so sorry to read this. But please don't feel that you will loose it all. You could not foresee this. Not your fault at all. Don't beat yourself up for this.
Hope you can treat yourself to a nice pension/hostal and have a decent night sleep...
Btw, according to Rometorio there are buses from Retortillo to Soria daily. EDIT : no ,first part is by taxi.

Keep strong!

Last edited:
I'm sorry this has happened Bad Pilgrim, I can only imagine how I would feel in your position. I hope everything works out for you and wish you all the best.

Mike

Yes I saw now where the taxis stop, it is just outside the hostal. I will go to bed now and sleep a lot... Not happy. But thanks for your encouraging words, it means a lot to me.

Still hoping for a miracle.

€149,-
Sorry to hear that! Don't make any hasty decisions - take a rest day or two (even in a tiny village) and see how it goes. All the best, speedy recovery and Buen Camino, SY

PS Make sure you stay well hydrated - it really helps with tendonitis!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah, BP, so sorry to hear this. Take few rest days, that's all I can say. Hopefully the situation will improve and if that happens continue poco a poco and all will be well. Personally can't go on Camino this year but I'm kind of walking with all of you out there and such news really made me sad.

Keep up the spirits!!!

€83,-
@Bad Pilgrim I'm with you in spirit - I know just how you feel as it was also my experience this year when attempting the Vdlp. It was totally unexpected for me. Sooo frustrating and hard not to be depressed.
This too will pass, my friend.
I was able to go do some other, non walking, travelling, and that proved to be an enjoyable distraction.
Now home and having some proper treatment, and planning the next, walking, camino! It will happen for you too, I'm sure.

@Bad Pilgrim I'm with you in spirit - I know just how you feel as it was also my experience this year when attempting the Vdlp. It was totally unexpected for me. Sooo frustrating and hard not to be depressed.
This too will pass, my friend.
I was able to go do some other, non walking, travelling, and that proved to be an enjoyable distraction.
Now home and having some proper treatment, and planning the next, walking, camino! It will happen for you too, I'm sure.
Hi, Kanga,

Did it happened to you on the flat stretches of VdlP? If it was tendonitis that is.

@KinkyOne plantar fasciitis; I have a 7-10cm tear in the fascia. Had a cortisone injection last week and off to the physiotherapist this week. Now checking out @dougfitz's training regime to get back into shape, and cheap flights...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@KinkyOne plantar fasciitis; I have a 7-10cm tear in the fascia. Had a cortisone injection last week and off to the physiotherapist this week. Now checking out @dougfitz's training regime to get back into shape, and cheap flights...
Hope everything is going well!

I was asking specifically about flat/hilly because @gracethepilgrim had same problem this year on Levante and she thought that might have been because of flat terrain. In that case I (not a medic!) thought to myself it could be because of lack of stretching maybe. Don't know the specifics though as I've never had those problems.

Okay,

So a rest day it is. Perhaps one more after that: there seems to be no problem to stay at the hostal. The following stages are 25 and then 19 kms. You can't make them longer or shorter because of lack of places to stay. So I wonder if I would be able to rest a few days more and then try these two stages that are relatively short. Those are my plans for the following days...

The rash (red skin) that came with the tendonitis seems to be subsiding but it is still swollen and hurts. I hope this will start to disappear as well, then I would know it is going the right way.

Thanks for your kind words. It is not the first time I have to stop on a Camino. Just as Kanga I got plantar fascitis on VdlPl a few years ago: totally game over. I was on pain killers for a month after that! So I think I can deal with the defeat, out of experience. The worst thing is the uncertainty: should I stay or should I go...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, @Bad Pilgrim, I found Portugal as a tourist was a delightful alternative. You just have to keep a reasonable relationship between the pastel de nada quota and the lack of exercise (i.e. walking).

Oh, I will think about it. I have never been to Portugal so why not...! I have vacation for exactly one more month from now (to 10 of Aug) so I have some time to spend if I have to abandon the Lana.......

I so wanted to walk the Invierno again this year, as well!!! That is almost what hurts me the most. I had brought Laurie & co:s Invierno guide to see if I could contribute to it (although it must be complete by now). Maybe next year then...

Hi, BP, so very sorry to read about this. And also sorry I'm late to the thread! Don't forget to ice the sore parts, I have found it works wonders. And if you start up walking again, make sure to keep at that routine. At least that has been my experience. Ice ice ice.

Glad you can take some days off to rest and think about a new plan. Good thing that the camino will impose some shorter days on you, because that's probably a crucial part of the recovery. Is there a lot of asphalt or flat level surfaces on this camino?

The Invierno guide makers will look forward to your comments in whatever year you get there, so don't worry about that. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, BP, so very sorry to read about this. And also sorry I'm late to the thread! Don't forget to ice the sore parts, I have found it works wonders. And if you start up walking again, make sure to keep at that routine. At least that has been my experience. Ice ice ice.

Glad you can take some days off to rest and think about a new plan. Good thing that the camino will impose some shorter days on you, because that's probably a crucial part of the recovery. Is there a lot of asphalt or flat level surfaces on this camino?

The Invierno guide makers will look forward to your comments in whatever year you get there, so don't worry about that. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi,

As for the asphalt, the Asociacones have done a fantastic work in avoiding the carreteras. Except for leaving cities like Alicante and Cuenca, there is not much of it. The Lana is very rural indeed! Although I had to take the carreteras instead of the rural tracks because of the rain the past week. The farm tracks were impossible to get through because of the mud. Belive me, I tried. I just sank through. So I stayed on every carretera I could... That was probably the beginning of my misfortunes...

I will go and have a medical consultation now in the evening. They say it is closed but he will perhaps come down to see me if I ring the bell.

According to the Lana guide, I am six stages from Burgos, where the Lana ends......... So I am a bit disappointed...

Time is not a problem so I wish I can wait for it to disappear. I will see what the doctor says.

I will urge ALL pilgrims who liked the Sureste or the Levante to walk this route. It is even MORE amazing. I thought this would be like a 3rd variant of those routes. It is NOT. As for the scenery, it has been fantastic. As I said, it is obvious that the Asociaciones have given it a thought: as much countryside as possible and beautiful hills, woods, fields. There has been a lot of variation in scenery from stage to stage that I don't recall from other southern routes. Highlights: the stage after Alpera and the stage before Cuenca.

The infrastructure differs from region to region. Good and bad. Around Cuenca there is a sprinkle of albergues specifically for pilgrims. But the last week, where I am now, it is more like "Ayuntamiento lets you sleep on the wooden floor in some neglected building, no showers..." So I have relied on some casas rurales instead.

Yesterday, just when it hurt the most, I thought I was back on The Salvador! The landscape was similar! I will try to post photos later!

Byyyyye

Hello BP - just catching up with your thread. I'm really sorry to hear about your problems... fingers crossed the Voltarene works!

As for your comments about this route... can I say it's not helping :D Hearing you talk about the beauty of this path just means that I am distracted from my Madrid planning :D

Here's hoping your foot gets better soon and you can continue!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay, so I am in a hostal in Madrid now since I was convinced yesterday that I wouldn't be able to continue. In order to get closer to an airport. Although today it hurts less so I don't know. Transfer from Retortillo de Soria to Madrid was smooth, so I guess it would be easy to get back as well. I don't know what happens tomorrow...

Okay, so I am in a hostal in Madrid now since I was convinced yesterday that I wouldn't be able to continue. In order to get closer to an airport. Although today it hurts less so I don't know. Transfer from Retortillo de Soria to Madrid was smooth, so I guess it would be easy to get back as well. I don't know what happens tomorrow...

Take your time...Madrid is not the worst place to be...:)

Last edited:

€149,-

Take your time and enjoy Madrid. If you need a place to stay in Santiago, you know where to find me ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Take your time and enjoy Madrid. If you need a place to stay in Santiago, you know where to find me ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Oh thanks Syates,

It is just that Santiago seems so very far away right now :0(

I have decided to stay 3 nights in this hostal in Madrid, so I can stay still and just rest my foot. Which is now less red than before, and a bit easier to walk with. But it has swollen into the size of a basketball!?? Well just as long as the pain subsides I am cool with it.........

€149,-
Oh thanks Syates,

It is just that Santiago seems so very far away right now :0(

I have decided to stay 3 nights in this hostal in Madrid, so I can stay still and just rest my foot. Which is now less red than before, and a bit easier to walk with. But it has swollen into the size of a basketball!?? Well just as long as the pain subsides I am cool with it.........

What is the official diagnosis by the doc? BCdlV, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Kanga & @SYates:

No I haven't been to a doctor or physiotherapist yet... Is that weird? I just hoped it would heal, whatever it is... And it is getting better... I'm sure it is easy to find one, I am in the centre of Madrid, Chueca/Gran Vía.

I wonder if I could get back on track after all - that would be amazing! I did NOT want to leave this fantastic route. We need more pilgrims here so we can spice up the infrastructure!!

Vdpl, Levante, Sureste = if you liked them you will NOT be disappointed with the Lana!

Since I don't have much else to do I will post some practical info about this Camino... What I have learnt until now... Stay tuned everyone...

Intermission:

Fun Facts about the Lana:

In the registers in albergues shared between The Sureste and the Lana (first five stages or so from Alicante), it is obvious that the Sureste is predominant. Both in Orito, stage one, and in Caudete, stage three, I would estimate that 70 % of pilgrims passing are on the Sureste (the registers keep track of this). So if you think the Levante and the Sureste were lonely... Well, they are peregrino highways compared to the Lana. In a later village on the Lana, the hospitaleros of the Asociación estimated 70 pilgrims a year on the Lana, compared to about 200 on the Sureste.

In spite of that, the waymarking is impressive. It is ok for the first weeks, just like on the Levante or Sureste, but entering the region of Cuenca it is first class. I thought I was back on the Francés. The kind of arrows I thought I would find only in my dreams, ha ha. Visible, bright, LOGICALLY placed arrows every 50 meters or so it seemed. These stages also coincide with a regular sprinkle of albergues along the way so the Asociaciones have made a remarkable job here and their presence are certainly felt in the area. The arrows were fading in color as I had to abandon the route in Retortillo de Soria, but they were still there.

Price: irregular. I have oscillated between 0 euros in the polideportivos, to 60 euros in a hotel. Although the times I paid more than 35 euros were always because I forgot to look up the alternatives the day before. If you prepare better than me, you should never have to pay more than 35 euros for lodging. So it can be anything from 0 euros in polideportivo, 5 in albergues donativos, 15 in pensiones, 30 in cheap hotels or hostales. Some casas rurales can also be cheap: 20 euros. Anyway, this is a route where you should look up the lodging at least one day before. Otherwise you may have some unwanted, economic surprises...

The on-line guide available is not updated though. Some hostales closed down years ago, some phone numbers are not accurate, alternative routes that now exists IRL are not mentioned in the guide or only briefly. This lack of info about alternative routes cost me some confusion and detours, in spite of the waymarking itself that was spotless. So, paradoxically, it has not been a route without getting lost, or at least loosing time...!

Carretera, very little. Rural pilgrims, this one is for you! But rural tracks also become a problem in rainy weather.

That's all I can think of now...

/BP

€46,-
I have a friend living in Madrid (he's in Slovenia at the moment though) and can get an info for good physiotherapist if you want to.

Sorry it's not gone well, pain isn't good. As others have said, Madrid is a great place to be, but not if you can't walk.
All the best

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry it's not gone well, pain isn't good. As others have said, Madrid is a great place to be, but not if you can't walk.
All the best

Thanks Sulu,

At least I feel I am getting better day by day now! I really hope I can wait this out.

Are you on a Camino as well?

I have a friend living in Madrid (he's in Slovenia at the moment though) and can get an info for good physiotherapist if you want to.

Thanks but, although it was stupid of me not to see a medico in the first place, it is getting better now... It is healing by itself or so it seems... Then of course, getting back to do 20 kms will be another thing.

Today the foot is less swollen. It is easy to compare with the healthy one and they should soon come back to being the same size... The read area on the foot (upper side) is diminishing bit by bit. Pain almost gone now when walking. Strange form of tendonitis, with that red dot that everything emanated from! Oh I hope it is gone by tomorrow, fingers crossed........

€60,-
Thanks Sulu,

At least I feel I am getting better day by day now! I really hope I can wait this out.

Are you on a Camino as well?

I'm not, I'm at home in Galicia.
I hope your foot is good soon but if you need some time for R&R before restarting you could come here for a few days and then get to the Invierno from here. There's also a very good physio locally! Just a thought, I have plenty of space.
Sulu

Very kind of you, Wow, Galicia, sounds tempting! But my plan is still to stay in Madrid just a little bit more... I have done some walking today in the neighborhood, no problem so far... This afternoon I will venture a walk to El Prado, as I can always take the metro back in case I would start to feel something again... So things look a little brighter now...

Oh, lucky you, the Prado has a spectacular exhibit from New York's Hispanic Society, which is closed for renovation. There are many Sorolla paintings, plus some of each of the Spanish masters you can think of!

https://www.museodelprado.es/en/wha...-america/172077ff-2b82-4238-b137-cc7a447a16b9

Walk gently, BP, and lucky for you to be in one of the most pedestrian friendly center cities of the world, with benches and cafés every few steps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, lucky you, the Prado has a spectacular exhibit from New York's Hispanic Society, which is closedp for renovation. There are many Sorolla paintings, plus some of each of the Spanish masters you can think of!

https://www.museodelprado.es/en/wha...-america/172077ff-2b82-4238-b137-cc7a447a16b9

Walk gently, BP, and lucky for you to be in one of the most pedestrian friendly center cities of the world, with benches and cafés every few steps!

Oh yes I have been to those cafés allright! :0D Wow, I will definitely go to the Prado then! But now it is too hot so it is siesta time...

Hi chicos y chicas,

I have booked a room at the same place in Retortillo de Soria that I left - this Monday! Hooray! The reason is that I made a long walk today to El Prado and back - no problem at all! And with three more days to recover, I should be fit for getting back on the Camino, on Monday then, to start walking Tuesday. AND I have checked with a casa rural that is only 7 kms from Retortillo, so I will do a baby stage the first day! If it is ok, I will then have 2 stages of 19 kms each in front of me, which sounds doable. I know it sounds too good to be true - I am still prepared for defeat, should the injury return. In that case I am definitely returning home! But right now it feels as if I have been given a little bit of a chance of getting back on track!

Hi chicos y chicas,

I have booked a room at the same place in Retortillo de Soria that I left - this Monday! Hooray! The reason is that I made a long walk today to El Prado and back - no problem at all! And with three more days to recover, I should be fit for getting back on the Camino, on Monday then, to start walking Tuesday. AND I have checked with a casa rural that is only 7 kms from Retortillo, so I will do a baby stage the first day! If it is ok, I will then have 2 stages of 19 kms each in front of me, which sounds doable. I know it sounds too good to be true - I am still prepared for defeat, should the injury return. In that case I am definitely returning home! But right now it feels as if I have been given a little bit of a chance of getting back on track!
This is great news, but PLEASE let us in on the secret why you can't take one hour of these three days left in Madrid and spend a few euros to get things checked out by someone who may know a bit more about what's going on than you do? (not intending to be disrespectful, of course. :D)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is great news, but PLEASE let us in on the secret why you can't take one hour of these three days left in Madrid and spend a few euros to get things checked out by someone who may know a bit more about what's going on than you do? (not intending to be disrespectful, of course. :D)

Well I have seen that there is a Centro de Salud in the neighborhood, but I have tried in vain to see how much it costs, on the Internet? Is it free in Spain? I have the European Health card or whatever it is called. There is an economic side to my reluctance as this stay in Madrid until Monday is taking a toll on my piggy bank...

Well I have seen that there is a Centro de Salud in the neighborhood, but I have tried in vain to see how much it costs, on the Internet? Is it free in Spain? I have the European Health card or whatever it is called. There is an economic side to my reluctance as this stay in Madrid until Monday is taking a toll on my piggy bank...
BP, European Health Card will cover all costs the same as in your own country (assuming you're from UK) or even more in Spain, if your medical insurance is paid. And even if not paid for a few months I don't believe the Spanish health institutions have access to that info. As long as you go to the medical center/hospital that's included in Spanish public health system.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, so here is the next chapter of my misfortunes. You would think I make these things up: I wish I was.

There are bedbugs in the room. First I felt them, then saw them. White sheets and walls so they are easy to spot. Bites all over my body. Not cool. I have told the hostal etc etc.

But to get to the point: is it washing machine 90 degrees C that is needed to get rid of them, if they managed to sneak into your clothes? Anyone to confirm? I have checked every seam in my belongings but I am worried about not getting rid of them and spreading it to others. So a hot wash it is? Any other advice? I want to act as fast as I can upon it.

Thanks!

@Bad Pilgrim ... that is rough luck :(

I'm sorry I cant help with the washing info... but I do know that you should check the temperature limits of your cloths and gear. For example, my t-shirt shrunk at 40c wash and my quilt would melt in more than luke warm? If you have this issue I think the answer is a black bag in the sun? Others will know better though.

Wishing you a pain and bug free voyage for the rest of your trip!

€60,-
Oh no, is the hostal going to help you out here? I would think they have an incentive to do so.

SYates is the bedbug instructor par excellence. I followed her instructions when I (may have) had them this year. Having had to do this twice in the last two years, I know that it is SO much easier to do when someone is helping you, so you can get rid of all your clothes, shower, put on new clothes (I bought a cheap dress in a market in Zaragoza, and borrowed the hospi's clothes in Meruelo), wash and dry, spray, etc.

Hope you get some help and access to all you need to make sure they are gone. Don't panic, it can be unpleasant and it is hugely important to get rid of them right away, but you have the time and can make sure to do it right! Good luck, BP.

@Bad Pilgrim ... that is rough luck :(

I'm sorry I cant help with the washing info... but I do know that you should check the temperature limits of your cloths and gear. For example, my t-shirt shrunk at 40c wash and my quilt would melt in more than luke warm? If you have this issue I think the answer is a black bag in the sun? Others will know better though.

Wishing you a pain and bug free voyage for the rest of your trip!
Oh no, is the hostal going to help you out here? I would think they have an incentive to do so.

SYates is the bedbug instructor par excellence. I followed her instructions when I (may have) had them this year. Having had to do this twice in the last two years, I know that it is SO much easier to do when someone is helping you, so you can get rid of all your clothes, shower, put on new clothes (I bought a cheap dress in a market in Zaragoza, and borrowed the hospi's clothes in Meruelo), wash and dry, spray, etc.

Hope you get some help and access to all you need to make sure they are gone. Don't panic, it can be unpleasant and it is hugely important to get rid of them right away, but you have the time and can make sure to do it right! Good luck, BP.

Yes I followed Syate's advice that she sent to me. Clothes are washed, as hot as I could without ruining them, and tumble dried. The hostal doesn't charge me for the night, they will fumigate the room and I have been given a new room, for whatever that is worth. Yikes. Hope I will be able to sleep tonight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh OK, that is enough? I think I will do that an extra time, before leaving Madrid, cause this has really gotten to my mind....

And now darkness falls across the land... And I am afraid of a renewed attack in my new room... :0(

Not to take this too far off-topic, but SYates, have you thought of adding this to your list of "services provided" in Santiago? I'm actually only half-kidding!

Remember my place? Lots of wooden floors and beams with crevices to hide in for the bichos! Plus I don't have a bath tub to give a backpack a good scrubbing, only showers. So no and I pray daily that nobody brings this kind of 'gift' to the house. Buen Camino, SY

€149,-
Lots of wooden floors and beams with crevices to hide in for the bichos! Plus I don't have a bath tub to give a backpack a good scrubbing, only showers. So no and I pray daily that nobody brings this kind of 'gift' to the house. Buen Camino, SY
I must confess to being extremely grateful that Bad Pilgrim did not take me up on my offer of a place to stay :D It is one of my big dreads, to come home with 'bichos'.
There are bedbugs in the room. First I felt them, then saw them. White sheets and walls so they are easy to spot. Bites all over my body. Not cool. I have told the hostal etc etc.
I am sorry for you, there is nothing worse than itching, particularly when the weather is very hot, I hope the rest of your camino goes really well.
sulu

@Bad Pilgrim I've found that all you need to do is put your clothes, sleeping bag, etc dry into a commercial hot air dryer for a cycle (at an autoservicio). If everything is dry there is no problem with things shrinking (e.g. merino). It is the heat that kills the bedbugs, and dry works better than wet. In small towns without an autoservicio you can use a domestic dryer, but do your clothes bit by bit, to ensure the heat gets into every bit of clothing. A domestic machine may not be big enough to do a sleeping bag properly, you might need to augment it with the black plastic bag in the sun, and insecticide.

Because I seem to be a magnet for bedbugs, and have such a bad reaction, on Camino I now cover myself in a 40% Deet repellent, before I go to bed. I hate it but I've not been bitten since I started using it.

Oh I can’t believe I’ve missed this thread!:eek:

@Bad Pilgrim I’m so sorry to hear of your woes. Firstly, your leg problem seems to be a mirror of what I experienced on the Levante in June this year. I stopped for a week (holiday in Sevilla) and then resumed again with some short days. That worked well until I (stupidly) walked an extra 10km one day and it flared up again. My advice - keep the distances as short as possible once you start again.

I also had a ‘red rash type area’ at the front of my ankle. I’ve been home a few weeks and have no pain walking but the area is still swollen and ‘lumpy’. Massage is helping but it’s a slow process.

I really hope you can finish the Lana and get to the Invierno as planned.

I loved the area around Alpera. It was one of my favourite towns ‘on’ the Levante (although a detour).
I can’t wait to get back to finish my Levante from Toledo. I know how you must be feeling.

Kia Kaha (stay strong) and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Bad Pilgrim I've found that all you need to do is put your clothes, sleeping bag, etc dry into a commercial hot air dryer for a cycle (at an autoservicio). If everything is dry there is no problem with things shrinking (e.g. merino). It is the heat that kills the bedbugs, and dry works better than wet. In small towns without an autoservicio you can use a domestic dryer, but do your clothes bit by bit, to ensure the heat gets into every bit of clothing. A domestic machine may not be big enough to do a sleeping bag properly, you might need to augment it with the black plastic bag in the sun, and insecticide.

Because I seem to be a magnet for bedbugs, and have such a bad reaction, on Camino I now cover myself in a 40% Deet repellent, before I go to bed. I hate it but I've not been bitten since I started using it.[/QUOTE

Because I seem to be a magnet for bedbugs, and have such a bad reaction, on Camino I now cover myself in a 40% Deet repellent, before I go to bed. I hate it but I've not been bitten since I started using it.

Okay, good then that there is an automatic laundry on the same street! That is the one I used two days ago and I tumbled them HOOOT in order to dry! I will use it once more this evening just to be sure, since I am leaving tomorrow, back to where I left a week ago. I also have a system of plastic bags now: used clothes and not used clothes in different bags. It is not a separate bag for every garnment but at least there is some thought to it. Should I throw in the mochila in the dryer as well this evening?

I don't think there has been any bedbugs in my new room, so the last few days have been okay...

Thanks for the advice!

Oh I can’t believe I’ve missed this thread!:eek:

@Bad Pilgrim I’m so sorry to hear of your woes. Firstly, your leg problem seems to be a mirror of what I experienced on the Levante in June this year. I stopped for a week (holiday in Sevilla) and then resumed again with some short days. That worked well until I (stupidly) walked an extra 10km one day and it flared up again. My advice - keep the distances as short as possible once you start again.

I also had a ‘red rash type area’ at the front of my ankle. I’ve been home a few weeks and have no pain walking but the area is still swollen and ‘lumpy’. Massage is helping but it’s a slow process.

I really hope you can finish the Lana and get to the Invierno as planned.

I loved the area around Alpera. It was one of my favourite towns ‘on’ the Levante (although a detour).
I can’t wait to get back to finish my Levante from Toledo. I know how you must be feeling.

Kia Kaha (stay strong) and Buen Camino

Hi Grace,

Yes I recognize that: the pain subsided first, but the foot was swollen for a longer time. The rash was the last thing that disappeared. Oh I hope it is enough with this week of resting. I will certainly walk with baby steps. The problem is that accommodation is scarce in this area. One closed Ayuntamiento could mean I have to walk on for at least ten kms. Getting to Burgos will be a real challenge!

@Bad Pilgrim the mochila might not be able to take the heat; any plastic might melt. (and take care with Deet - it melts plastic too!) Maybe just spray with pyrethrum or permethrin, if you can find it (try veterinary or farm supplies - they use it on poultry).

€60,-
Should I throw in the mochila in the dryer as well this evening?
I have done that a couple of times with an Osprey Talon 33, and the plastic panel that is inserted to stiffen the back became somewhat deformed - extra curvature due to tumbling. I think the heat alone would be okay, or if the panel had been removed before tumbling. However, if you can get some insecticide, I'd agree that a good spray inside and out would work.

While in the albergues, I keep my whole backpack in a large dry bag that is sealed especially at night when bedbugs are most active. Then in the morning I put all my night clothes and sleeping bag in a sealed bag inside my pack, to isolate them. If no bites appear on my skin during the day, I assume that I am bug-free and can safely unpack my night things. Keeping everything minimal and organized is very helpful.

[At home, I called Osprey, hoping just to buy a replacement plastic panel. However, they honoured their All Mighty Guarantee and gave me a new backpack, even when I explained how the problem happened. ]

... Should I throw in the mochila in the dryer as well this evening?...

Google your specific model and look for 'care instructions' and especially how much temperature it can survive. Another possibility, provided there is a bath tub in your room, is giving it a long, hot rinse in the hope to flush any nasties down the drain. I am not speaking of just letting it soak, I am to really hose it down in- and outside with hot water. Not 100% proof, but every little helps! Buen Camino, SY

Here I am again in Retortillo de Soria - easy to get here from Madrid, luckily. The lady in the hostal was glad to see me again, ha ha. Same room as one week ago.

Mission: 7 kms tomorrow to a nice little casa rural that awaits me. I don't take anything for granted, let's just see if I can make it...

More to come, tomorrow, if I find wifi!

Byyyyye

7km sounds like a perfect distance in your situation! Buen Camino, SY

Okay, I arrived in Tarancueños at noon and then had to wait until 18:30 for the owners of the Casa rural to come back from errands in the nearby village... And the bar was only open between 13 and 15:30. Otherwise there is nothing here. So I had some trouble finding out how to spend time here. But it was ok. Now I am in the Casa rural.

Foot update: as soon as I put on my walking shoes this morning I could feel the infamous lump that Grace told us about in a previous post, on the upper side of my foot. That thing must really take its time to go away. I wasn't prepared to that as the pain disappeared days ago. So I was a bit anxiuos this morning. But this evening it is still ok. The real test will be tomorrow, 19 kms. And I am now passing through all the tiny villages that the bus from Retortillo de Soria took me through when I went to Madrid, so in case I have to cancel it for good, it is easy just to jump on the bus.

I can admit to defeat, and to stupidity of walking with an injured foot, but I am soooo close to Burgos....................

If you're still doing short stages later in the week, splitting the Santo Domingo de Silos to Mecerreye section in two is very easy by stopping at Covarrubias. I loved that town, with a van Eyck portrait, a 13th century sculpture of Santiago, the tomb of a 12th century Norwegian princess, a swift flowing river and an excellent restaurant, de Galo, which the teenage Lorca apparently visited (when he commented rather rudely on the "amargo sello del aburrimiento trágico de la población" - which I certainly never encountered: they were mostly very open and friendly). Mecerreyes has an excellent (huge) albergue, but not much else in the town.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.