• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad water

• Thread starter Former member 99816
  • Start date
F

Former member 99816

We left at least 4 people behind in Carrion los Condes, too sick to walk. My partner walked but slowly, not arriving at the first albergue until 2:30. I started throwing up shortly after. These and other tales of woe from 3 different albergues.

No one knows for sure what the issue was but I would recommend caution drinking the municipal water.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had problems last year after a Menu del Dia there, and it wasn't the water as I didn't drink any. Though my problems were more broadly dietary, not just that one meal.

But it could be something they put in their local cooking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is something that comes up (pun) regularly on the forum - not necessarily at CdlC.

I had hoped for fewer incidents as a consequence of the extra hygiene precautions following Covid. We all can do with reminders about simple things like hand washing, and keeping our distance from others.

Water and bacterial contamination of food is not always the cause - an outbreak can be caused by human transmission of a stomach virus.

This is something that comes up (pun) regularly on the forum - not necessarily at CdlC.

I had hoped for fewer incidents as a consequence of the extra hygiene precautions following Covid. We all can do with reminders about simple things like hand washing, and keeping our distance from others.

Water and bacterial contamination of food is not always the cause - an outbreak can be caused by human transmission of a stomach virus.

Two other points:
  • this may be the result of something picked up a day or more earlier, and not necessarily in Carrion Los Condes. Some pathogens will take longer to cause gastro-intestinal upset.
  • I hope this gets reported to local authorities so that they can have a look at where the source might be.

This topic came up a while back - people being sick in Carrion de los Condes. I commented then, because the same thing had happened last time I was on the Frances: the albergue Santa Maria looked like a sanatorium (or pilgrims' hospital I guess).
What we noted was that only the people who had stayed in Hontanas were affected.
I can't recall any other single location on the CF having repeated reports of sickness. It looks like there is a systemic issue, probably with the water supply somewhere.
But maybe I'm wrong and there's no continual repeat pattern here, because if you were running an albergue in Carrion and week after week sick people arrived, you'd be likely to raise it with the authorities - sí?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We left at least 4 people behind in Carrion los Condes, too sick to walk. My partner walked but slowly, not arriving at the first albergue until 2:30. I started throwing up shortly after. These and other tales of woe from 3 different albergues.

No one knows for sure what the issue was but I would recommend caution drinking the municipal water.
I stayed there in the beautiful Nunnery and had no problems with the water. Maybe it was where you stayed rather than the whole town.

This just gets more and more bizarre. Curiously enough I was just thinking about CdlC a few days ago, wondering if the irregular rash of illnesses had been permanently interrupted by Covid. I guess not.

The irregularity of it makes me think that there is some commonality in the dining experience. I doubt very much that it is the water supply as those things are monitored continuously and vigorously and because I suspect that if it was a problem many many more people would be ill. Perhaps a kitchen that gets cleaned frequently but not frequently enough.

I recently finished completed the Camino Francés (SJPP—Santiago) and I was disappointed yo see how many albergues lacked soap and paper towels or hand dryers that actually worked. This was also true of many “servicios” along the way. Some places have anti-bacterial products here and there but not always in or even near the washroom facilities. I ended up with a severe case of gastroenteritis the night before my final walk into Santiago. Who knows where it was from. But I do recall a couple of occasions when I wanted to properly wash and clean out my water bottle with soap and hot water but had to settle for rinsing in (usually just) cold water.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Norovirus is apparently quite rampant this year along with a raft of other stomach distress, causing viruses and bacteria.

I really don't think it would be the water. But it could be. These things generally are monitored and the water companies will randomly take water samples and analyse them. So any contamination would have been picked up pretty quickly. It is more likely the place was rampant with a stomach bug due to someone using the toilets and not washing their hands. I admit to generally carrying hand gel and using it a lot, especially in the wake of Covid. When I walked a few years back I carried a small bottle of hand gel and wet wipes, for those times when you have to go and you are not near facilities. I would use it anytime I needed to eat or drink, or after toilet related tasks. If you can find an Aldi or Lidl, you should be able to pick some up fairly cheaply. I would use it before you eat or drink and especially after going near any toilet, either in albergue or public.

The other thing people could do, when using that albergue (or being in that location), is drink bottled water or use chlorine tabs to kill anything in it. Better safe than sorry.

Doubtful it's the water.
The likely culprit is something like the norovirus. Passed on by unsanitary hands from unsanitary washing of ones hands after using the toilet.
I've stayed in Carrion a few times. Drank the water from taps and fountains. Never got sick

I recently finished completed the Camino Francés (SJPP—Santiago) and I was disappointed yo see how many albergues lacked soap and paper towels or hand dryers that actually worked. This was also true of many “servicios” along the way. Some places have anti-bacterial products here and there but not always in or even near the washroom facilities. I ended up with a severe case of gastroenteritis the night before my final walk into Santiago. Who knows where it was from. But I do recall a couple of occasions when I wanted to properly wash and clean out my water bottle with soap and hot water but had to settle for rinsing in (usually just) cold water.
Not that it wouldn't be nice if things were supplied, but I think the expectation is that people bring their own toiletries.

Back in late May, I had stopped in Triacastela. After checking into the albergue, 2 individuals started to toss their cookies. They said it was the "bad lentil soup" they had earlier in the day. By the time I fell asleep, several others who had travelled with the soup eaters took ill.
Several days later, I came across a few of the Triacastela crowd and they informed me that there were more among them that took ill the following day or so.
I'm no scientist but I would venture to say that it wasn't the soup, it wasn't the water and it wasn't the kitchen in the restaurant that they ate at. I would vote for the viral infection. So the lesson is to keep those hands washed often.

But I do recall a couple of occasions when I wanted to properly wash and clean out my water bottle with soap and hot water but had to settle for rinsing in (usually just) cold water.
Is this needed? I have only rinsed water bottles usually in cold water, but I do let them dry out if not intending to use next day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many times during a drought or dry period the well water gets down to a level that promotes growth of bacteria. I taught water and sanitation hygiene in West Africa and this was one of the issues I dealt with in my training.

Edit
Additional note: You can carry an eye dropper full of chlorine (wrapped tightly in a zip lock bag to protect the contents of you backpack) and use one drop of chlorine per one litrer of water which normally will kill most bacteria.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I commented on a similar report in 2019, chiming in with my experience of Carrión de los Condes in August 2018 while staying at albergue Espiritú Santo, where two dorms had been quarantined off limits on arrival. I also met others during the following days who had similar symptoms while in Carrión de los Condes, although mainly from the albergue Santa Maria.
I seem to remember being shot down in flames for my opinions at the time, which I took as being good advice after all things considered. However, it would be helpful if there were some kind of register of such incidents, as maybe the pattern and location information would give insight into other possible explanations. Other than that, we are back to making cursory conclusions, just as I did, that may or may not have anything to do with it.
I guess it goes without saying, that lots of people grouped together in the same dormitory and/or sharing the same toilet facilities, is a situation where transmission of a virus, like Norovirus, could take place very easily. But there are many places on the Camino where people group together like this, so it does still beg the question about this reference to Carrión de los Condes and the possible link to people having stayed in Hontanas previously (as was my case).

The comments about water testing and water treatment are often cited as defense that it would be unlikely to be the source of contamination. However, along the way to Carrión de los Condes there are several water fountains that are marked as "no potable", so shouldn't be used as drinking water. Despite this notice, I've seen people using them to cool themselves down by putting their head under the fountains etc.

Getting a stomach virus of some kind can affect us anywhere I guess. I live in Madrid, and it's not uncommon to hear of these things from time to time. I had it myself in 2020 and the doctors suggested the most likely cause was food poisoning - but they don't test for it. So even medical professionals can resort to making assumptioms about causes, just as Joe Public does. I was prescribed antibiotics which immediately took affect in relieving the worse symptoms.

The comments about the pandemic somehow having the power to remove, or reduce, such supposed sources of contamination doesn't make sense to me - although extra hygiene measures (when maintained) should reduce risk of cross-infection at least. The only common denominator is volume of people in shared spaces - whether they be dorms in albergues or using the same limited number of restaurants and bars in a few towns where large numbers of pilgrims often stop at the end of a stage. Obviously, the "bug" needs to be "picked up" somewhere or from something or somebody - but we probably will never get to know that without a more rigorous approach to investigation of the causes. Then the "bug" needs to be transmitted to another person - hence the common denominator of numerous groups of pilgrims in shared facilities, in the same small town or at same restaurants; people that are in transit moving from town to town, village to village, albergue to albergue and also passing through various common "watering holes" and pilgrim pitstops. If I were a virus, I'd be rubbing my grubby little hands with glee....

At the risk of being shot down in flames again, I decided to chime in to this post, if nothing else to share my experience that relates to the OP.

Last edited:
At the risk of being shot down in flames again, I decided to chime in to this post, if nothing else to share my experience that relates to the OP.
Given the frequency of such reports, there does seem to be a pattern. I've stayed in Carrion twice, with no ill-effects, drinking tap water but never eating in a bar or restarant there. But that says aproximately nothing.

Unfortunately, without an epidemiologist going out and doing a thorough investigation, there's no telling if there's a real pattern, if it actually means anything, and if it does what it's from.

But it does help to know illness may happen in this general area, so people can take precautions. And no matter what it behooves us all to practice good hygiene, everywhere.

Is this needed? I have only rinsed water bottles usually in cold water, but I do let them dry out if not intending to use next day.
Drying out would be a smart thing to do. I tend not to let mine dry out, as I also like to have water handy to drink at night time. Also, once in a while, on my walks, I’d add a bit of Fanta limón to the water, which really should be washed out at the end of a hot day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As for lack of soap in toilets, albergues etc, I always carry those little hotel soaps in an outer pockets of my rucksack. They weigh little and its a good way to use them up. Soap and handgel have always been in my pack but it's obvious in many places that basic hygiene habits are slipping again after 2 years of covid.

Having caught norovirus while working in a hospital, it takes serious disinfection measures to get rid of it from surfaces were it can linger a long time. If it was a waterborne then unless a very specific issue with one building or a dodgy fuente, it would have affected locals and it would/should have been picked up by authorities by this point.

I had read about the frequency of peregrinos getting sick in Carrión before my first Camino. I bought a ~gallon of water at the supermercado, and did not drink any water from the tap both times I stayed there. IDK if it is ground water contamination from low water levels in the wells, but I just thought buying bottled water was an easy solution for me to try and avoid it. I also did not eat any raw vegetables etc. like salad. I washed my hands frequently, especially before eating anything.

In 2017, I stayed at Albergue Sanata Clara with a bunch of people. The place was clean, and the nuns tucked us in (bed check) at 10:00PM. We ate and drank in a local bar and restaurant. Only one of us tucked into their bedding (comforters etc.) and she got bed bugs. The rest of us slept on top of the comforters in our own liners and bags. None of us got sick.

In 2018, I stopped at the corner bar coming into town and had a beer with some friends. The bus stop was right in front of the bar. There must have been 20 people waiting for the bus. Many were visibly sick and throwing up into bags etc. I decided to check into a hotel that night. I ate and drank in a local bar and restaurant without incident. None of us got sick.

I think I would do the same again. Nothing different then the rest of the Camino other than the bottled water and avoiding raw foods, and that may have just been a "feel good".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rpcv Mauritania 87-89. Still working in development in west Africa but back and forth from Chicago.
I was an older PCV, enlisted at the age of 58. I too was involved in a long term project in Togo started by a volunteer in 2003. It is still going strong providing health services to women and children in the poorly served northern regions. It began as a SIDA project in Kara and grew exponentially to 18 rural clinics.

Not that it wouldn't be nice if things were supplied, but I think the expectation is that people bring their own toiletries.
Very true.
Prospective pilgrims need to know that they should not expect an albergue to have soap, towel or even an abundant supply of toilet paper available. I have gone to the toilet early in the morning in an albergue only to find the entire supply in all the stalls had already been exhausted. Not uncommon. I always carry a full roll with me in my backpack. Pull out the cardboard tube, flatten it out and into a Ziploc bag.
Also if they do have towels I have no desire to dry my hands off on towels used by several pilgrims already. If I have to I use my own soap and just let them air dry.
Think norovirus. It's a bit like driving defensively, lol. Communal living defensively so as not to be rapidly expelling dinner from the night before through both ends, and mucking up your Camino. It ain't a utopia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

This has been a reported problem for several years. I was ill here 2017 and a friend back in May this year. Have read of several people getting ill here and have read warnings going back last 10 years!

If it were the municipal water source there would be a citywide outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness. The locals have no magic ability to ward off waterborne bacteria and such, nor special immunities from such.
The common denominator in all these reported incidents is that the effected were communal living.

The common denominator in all these reported incidents is that the effected were communal living.
It might be one common denomiator, but none of us really are going to be able to tell if it is the only one, nor can we determine if it is the relevant one. So far we have had some speculation about what the pathogen might have been, which has led to some reminders about maintaining good hygiene practices, but no closer to knowing what was the cause here. Moreover, we are quick to look at what we ate or drank the previous day, but not the several days beforehand where we might have picked up a slower acting pathogen.

I agree that blaming the municipal water supply isn't justified when there doesn't appear to be evidence the problem affected the general community. However, that doesn't rule out a less well controlled water source that people might have used in the previous couple of days, nor does it address people becoming lax with their hygiene practices and spreading a pathogen in an albergue or other communal environment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Been there, done that in 2014, 3 days flat on my back-ugh!

On my unexpected Spanish vacation following my aborted camino, I was in the hotel bathroom for two days in Madrid before returning to the US. Immediately prior to that, I had been in La Linea/Gibraltar and also picked up lunch for the train at the nice supermarket in the Malaga train station. I can't imagine all those places had unsanitary conditions as all the food seemed very fresh and beautifully presented. I figured it was something in the storage or preparation that is different in Spain than at home and my system wasn't used to it. I saw the same thing at a beautiful Barcelo resort in Mexico about 10 years ago- the Americans were dropping like flies and the Europeans were just fine.

This is OP. Because of my continuing symptoms I'm ending my Camino at Leon. I have switched to private room because my nighttime coughing was so bad.
Because to this I think there is an equal chance the illnesses were contracted in Burgos and only manifested in Carrion.
Still a layman's opinion, I wish John Snow was still around.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is OP. Because of my continuing symptoms I'm ending my Camino at Leon. I have switched to private room because my nighttime coughing was so bad.
Because to this I think there is an equal chance the illnesses were contracted in Burgos and only manifested in Carrion.
Still a layman's opinion, I wish John Snow was still around.

If you have stomach problems as well as a cough, maybe a Covid test might be a good idea.

Sad to hear you have to stop your Camino. Wish you a speedy recovery.

There is an upswing of covid in progress (BBC newsite.) Two sub variants of omicron are infected those who have previously had covid and those who have been vaccinated.

I recall walking into a municipal albergue in Castrojerez, years ago, hearing the volume of coughing in progress, and backing out swiftly.

Hygiene, hygiene, hygiene. Wash your hands, don’t just stick them under the tap for a second. I am reminded of a report from decades ago, where they tested the contents of one of those candy dishes that used to sit beside the cash registers in restaurants. The primary ‘ingrediant’ besides the sugar, was urine.

I hope our OP gets well soon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I got so very sick after leaving Carrion los Condes 6 years ago. It almost took me out. The intestinal sick was so bad.

There is an upswing of covid in progress (BBC newsite.) Two sub variants of omicron are infected those who have previously had covid and those who have been vaccinated.

I recall walking into a municipal albergue in Castrojerez, years ago, hearing the volume of coughing in progress, and backing out swiftly.

Hygiene, hygiene, hygiene. Wash your hands, don’t just stick them under the tap for a second. I am reminded of a report from decades ago, where they tested the contents of one of those candy dishes that used to sit beside the cash registers in restaurants. The primary ‘ingrediant’ besides the sugar, was urine.

I hope our OP gets well soon.
That was exactly what I did on my latest camino in may this year. On two occasions actually. Heard excessive coughing and just backed out.

Many times during a drought or dry period the well water gets down to a level that promotes growth of bacteria. I taught water and sanitation hygiene in West Africa and this was one of the issues I dealt with in my training.

Edit
Additional note: You can carry an eye dropper full of chlorine (wrapped tightly in a zip lock bag to protect the contents of you backpack) and use one drop of chlorine per one litrer of water which normally will kill most bacteria.
Don't forget to wait 30 minutes before drinking the water.

My very first post to this forum, back in 2014, was about this very issue: gastric problems in Carrion de los Condes. I had eaten in a well-known restaurant there and was throwing up all night long. Next morning, another person in the albergue told me that exactly the same had occurred to him the previous year after visiting that same restaurant. I felt that I should warn other pilgrims about the problem. I was immediately shot down by at least two others (who are still regular contributors to the forum). They said I could prove nothing so it was wrong to blame this particular restaurant.

On my last visit to Carrion, I stayed at the Hotel San Zoilo, as I wished to take no more chances. I ate all my meals there too. This was an up-market solution, but I felt that it paid off. If sickness broke out in San Zoilo, then it would soon find itself on Trip Advisor - that was my reasoning! There have been so many incidents in Carrion, there must be a problem there. My original restaurant meal was trout - which must have been swimming in the local water.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My very first post to this forum, back in 2014, was about this very issue: gastric problems in Carrion de los Condes. I had eaten in a well-known restaurant there and was throwing up all night long. Next morning, another person in the albergue told me that exactly the same had occurred to him the previous year after visiting that same restaurant. I felt that I should warn other pilgrims about the problem. I was immediately shot down by at least two others (who are still regular contributors to the forum). They said I could prove nothing so it was wrong to blame this particular restaurant.

On my last visit to Carrion, I stayed at the Hotel San Zoilo, as I wished to take no more chances. I ate all my meals there too. This was an up-market solution, but I felt that it paid off. If sickness broke out in San Zoilo, then it would soon find itself on Trip Advisor - that was my reasoning! There have been so many incidents in Carrion, there must be a problem there. My original restaurant meal was trout - which must have been swimming in the local water.
... and the remarks I made then are just as appropriate today. Blaming any form of gastro-intestinal upset on a particular establishment because it was the last place you ate is completely inappropriate. For those who want to read it, and the rationale others had then for objecting to blaming a specific establishment, the thread @Margaret Butterworth is referring is here. The thinking is just as valid today as it was then.

You have a long memory, Doug! Now, here is a little tale about my latest gastro problem on this year's Camino. I stayed for a couple of days in Ponferrada in a hotel on the Plaza Ayuntamiento. On my last evening, I sat out in the square enjoying an ice cream from one of those shops with a huge choice of flavours. I chose Dulce de Leche. On entering the shop, I noticed it was very warm inside : a bit too warm for an ice cream shop. Nevertheless, the ice cream was delicious. All night long I suffered from bouts of diarrhoea, and next day too on the Camino. I finally went into a pharmacy and got a remedy. That's all I'm going to say.

All night long I suffered from bouts of diarrhoea, and next day too on the Camino. I finally went into a pharmacy and got a remedy.
I must lead a boring life! Mind you, I avoided ice-cream for most of the Caminho do Tejo/Camino Portuguese this year, and preferred to get my pastel de nata in the morning rather than one that had been sitting in a display case all day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have stayed in Carrion twice without any issues.
But it certainly seems like there is an issue in the locality.
Or as others have pointed out, areas prior to Carrion.

I wonder if the local authorities are aware of the concerns of Pilgrims?
And the impact it might be having on trade.......

OK, I am in Carrión right now, having walked in the other direction, and I had tummy trouble after Sahagún and in Calzadilla de la Cueza, and so I think this has nothing to do with the water nor with Carrión de los Condes either.

What I have found is that the food here in the broad area may not be suited to every digestive system ; notably there are red beans dishes, and those have very high lectins content, that can make you ill. Also, the olive oil they use here seems to be a little different from the norm, and it certainly felt a bit heavy.

So what I think is that the food here needs some getting used to and some gut flora adaptation, so that those without it can have problems.

Be careful, you might get shot down in flames for suggesting there could be something dodgy about the municipal water supply. I got roasted here when I made such aspersions in 2019.

Why on earth would anyone drink water from local fountains etc if there is any question about the quality or safety of same when bottled water is so cheap in Spain, that's just asking for trouble IMO.

Here is a link to the 2021 report of the Spanish Government about the quality of drinking water:

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/profesio...aboral/aguas/aconsumo/Doc/INFORME_AC_2021.pdf

The chapters on E-coli, Enterococci and Clostridium start at page 73.

E-coli is absent in 99,80 %
Enterococci: absent in 99,68 %
Clostridium Perfringens has an absence of 99,68 %

Maps show the municipal distribution of the findings of microbiological contaminations per municipality.

As far as I can see, Carrión de los Condes is an area with the lowest / lower findings of microbiological contamination.

I hope this helps.

Back in late May, I had stopped in Triacastela. After checking into the albergue, 2 individuals started to toss their cookies. They said it was the "bad lentil soup" they had earlier in the day. By the time I fell asleep, several others who had travelled with the soup eaters took ill.
Several days later, I came across a few of the Triacastela crowd and they informed me that there were more among them that took ill the following day or so.
I'm no scientist but I would venture to say that it wasn't the soup, it wasn't the water and it wasn't the kitchen in the restaurant that they ate at. I would vote for the viral infection. So the lesson is to keep those hands washed often.
Yes, and be aware that hostals, albergues and "camino families" are effectively "communal living" (ie: illness incubators).
COV is far from the only aerosol-spread. And people can wash their hands and bodies thoroughly but forget about the fine mist left behind in communal bathrooms...
I am always amazed that travellers think the destination or stopping-point along the way must be the source of their ailments, when it is far more likely travelling germ circus they are in that is causative.

Why on earth would anyone drink water from local fountains etc if there is any question about the quality or safety of same when bottled water is so cheap in Spain, that's just asking for trouble IMO.
This seems quite reasonable on the face of it, but I am also aware of the history of unsupported claims made on this forum about water and food quality. There is a pretty clear tendency to go beyond the simple observation that people have become ill, and to identify a cause or attribute blame.

Where these explanations rely on the juxtaposition of the illness occurring after visiting a specific town, albergue, cafe or restaurant, they generally fail to explain the coincidence of the many other pilgrims who have not become ill. In effect, the alleged common cause cannot clearly be established.

That said, I personally prefer to refill my water bottle with tap water from a bar or cafe. I have used bottled water in countries where there are known water quality issues or sometimes for convenience. I carry water purification tablets, and If I do have to use a font or stream, that water will get treated.

Funny to go back and think about this again following from @dougfitz’s observations.
I live in Central Ontario… on a river — not on municipal water. The river comes with wildlife. While I invested in a reverse/flush water system (what that means is that my lines drain back to the source every time instead of remaining full during freezing weather), I have not installed an expensive UV system (I will, now that they are cheaper). I used to drive to the local spring (for 45 years) to capture its water in bottles for drinking, but about a year ago? Maybe two? I saw Efren using a combination portable water filter system and rechargeable UV bottles. I purchased a few of the bottles off Amazon, and a 3 L water filter system from MEC and I use that water for cooking, making coffee or tea (but not for drinking straight because it is still rather “wild” in flavour). However, my 25 L jugs from the spring now last me much much much longer, and I have potable water almost from the tape now with the system I’ve worked out.
But take the UV bottle on a camino? Or the filter? Hell no. Simply not necessary. Maybe I know now where the water is “sin guarantita” and I make sure to fill up in bars and cafes instead… But for the most part, outside of those areas (well-marked for those new to to trail), the water and the food and washed vegetables are absolutely safe.
I’m not sure about whether it was completely wise for me to snarf down 3 white figs from an abandoned lot beside a freshly slurried corn field on my recent primitivo… But I seem to have gotten away with it, and the figs were absolutely grand!

Last edited:
Be careful, you might get shot down in flames for suggesting there could be something dodgy about the municipal water supply. I got roasted here when I made such aspersions in 2019.
Not shot down in flames, but more like your theory wasn't based on fact. Just speculation.
About two months ago I completed another Camino Frances. Once again I relied only on fountains and other municipal water sources for hydration and once again I suffered no ill effects, nor did I know any fellow pilgrim that did.

Because there's no real doubt or question about the quality or safety of the water from local fountains. Any fears or doubts are based on rumour.
Also bottled water is exposed to toxins in the plastic and is also an environmental disaster. Billions of those bottles discarded after just one use. Floating in oceans or filling garbage dumps. Never actually decompose. Oh yeah, and the cost factor, too. Not all pilgrims have champagne budgets.

I’m not sure about whether it was completely wise for me to snarf down 3 white figs from an abandoned lot beside a freshly slurries corn field on my recent primitivo… But I seem to have gotten away with it, and the figs were absolutely grand!
The next time I walk one of the St Olavs Ways, I will be looking for a lightweight berry picking scoop to take advantage of the plethora of wild berries along the path. Last time, I handpicked when I could, but that is such a laborious process to get anywhere near a reasonable feed that the effort of carrying a scoop will be more than rewarded.

Because there's no real doubt or question about the quality or safety of the water from local fountains. Any fears or doubts are based on rumour.
Also bottled water is exposed to toxins in the plastic and is also an environmental disaster. Billions of those bottles discarded after just one use. Floating in oceans or filling garbage dumps. Never actually decompose. Oh yeah, and the cost factor, too. Not all pilgrims have champagne budgets.
It's water we're talking about not champagne and please don't tell me after flying half way round the world that you can't afford €0.50 on a bottle of water 🙄

It's water we're talking about not champagne and please don't tell me after flying half way round the world that you can't afford €0.50 on a bottle of water 🙄
Who said I flew half way around the world? I fly budget airlines like Ryanair and Iberia express, and no I don't want to spend any money on tap water in a plastic bottle made from toxins.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back