• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad weather for next days

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gosh. That's cold. Are you there now?
PS Thanks for the link. Its a new one for me. I've added it to my list of useful sites.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pretty much the same thing here on the Meseta. A nearly freezing rain is falling at 9am on Wednesday morning in Moratinos and the forecast is for more of the same through the weekend.

Gosh. That's cold. Are you there now?
PS Thanks for the link. Its a new one for me. I've added it to my list of useful sites.

I am at home (Madrid/Spain) but I thought that it was a relevant information about a significative change in weather conditions from nearly Summer to Winter. There will be snow again in the mountains while a "cold drop" remains over the península, so pilgrims must take care.
And yes, this link is one of my favourites for weather.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is the weather forecast for Pedrafita do Cebreiro:
http://www.meteosat.com/tiempo/lugo/tiempo-pedrafita-do-cebreiro.html

The temperature is not soooooo bad (forgive me, but I am Canadian, have a different perspective; and right now I am in the middle of Blizzard) What does give me pause is that wind speed, which can make those temperatures seem a LOT colder than they are. For example, a temp of -5C and a windspeed of 15km/h makes a windchill of about -11C.

https://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=0F42F92D-1

Buen Camino, and stay warm to whoever is on the road today!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I keep wanting to be back on the camino again, though I know I walked my final one in 2016.
But having just checked out those temperatures, I'll stick to England [+10 deg C] until I go back to Spain in May!!!
Buen caminos especially to all those walking in the cold....

I guess it is what you are use to. I train all winter in snow and cold temperatures. Once it gets much below -25C especially with a wind, then not as pleasant for a walk. Would much rather walk in the temperatures and conditions from the weather report at the front end of this post than in +35C and higher temperatures in the summer. It is easy to dress for cold, but not so much for high temperatures. Certainly colder temperatures, provided you are dressed correctly are safer than extreme heat where heat stroke and dehydration are possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That what @SabineP says, started out yesterday from Carrión. Brrr indeed!

@biarritzdon are you holding down the fort with Paddy? Dogs behaving?
The dogs are under control except for the few times Ruby has gone "off the radar" during our morning walks. If you know the dogs, Lulu (greyhound) went AWOL this winter and is now listed as missing. I am amazed that chickens survive so well in these conditions. It will be nice to see Reb back on Monday.
I hope we get to see SabineP in the next couple of days, let her know we have a warm fire going.

Pretty much the same thing here on the Meseta. A nearly freezing rain is falling at 9am on Wednesday morning in Moratinos and the forecast is for more of the same through the weekend.

I know!!!now in Bercianos del Real Camino and I didn't know hail could hurt so much
@biarritzdon ...next time I will stop.

Last edited:
Stay warm, stay dry, Sabine!!
And may the weather soon ease up a bit. Walking in March...it's a bit of a gamble, but a wonderful time to walk if you hit the weather jackpot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stay warm, stay dry, Sabine!!
And may the weather soon ease up a bit. Walking in March...it's a bit of a gamble, but a wonderful time to walk if you hit the weather jackpot.

March is indeed tricky, I walked the second half of the Levante from Toledo-Zamora March 2014 and I saw everything! During the first few days I walked in a t-shirt then got hit by torrential rains crossing two mountain passes. Sun came out once again in Zamora.

@biarritzdon yes, I know the dogs. Ruby never warmed up to me but Lulu let me get close. I also had an incident when the two got loose. I rain around the neighborhood and across the highway trying to find them. Luckily they came back on their own shortly after. Phew!
Too bad about Lulu.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Would anybody know mud conditions along Camino Frances now? I'm starting next week on my bike!

If you are on a mountain bike and expect to ride on the trails, you can expect a lot of mud on many sections. In the areas where the trails are gravelled or where the trail is in fact a gravelled road you should be fine as long as it is not actively raining.
Keep in mind much of Spain has heavy clay, so tough going when wet. The mud will ball up and jam wheels quickly.
Last year in April, the bikers I saw were pushing bikes a lot or were riding on the paved roads as the trail conditions were just too wet in some sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rioja - sticky and accumulative; Navarra - slippery and deep; Burgos - deep, clingy and occasionally aromatic; Palencia - occasional and deep, generally avoidable with care; Leon - occasional, avoidable; Galicia - regular, recurring, deep, aromatic, unavoidable. ;)

I got a good chuckle out of this! I love to bike and mountain bike, but after 3 years walking on the Camino in April, biking on the Camino looks way too tough compared to walking.

Rioja - sticky and accumulative; Navarra - slippery and deep; Burgos - deep, clingy and occasionally aromatic; Palencia - occasional and deep, generally avoidable with care; Leon - occasional, avoidable; Galicia - regular, recurring, deep, aromatic, unavoidable. ;)

A wild guess @Tincatinker but are you a Radio 4 listener? Ever come across the great Les Barker's take on the shipping forecast?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How poetic! Gracias.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.