• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad weather in Aragon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Seems you had a lovely nan!
I just posted this because the Aragones can get quite lonely and I for one would not like to walk under those weather circumstances. Then again I'm a chicken...;-)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was very wet last weekend but there were pilgrims 'brave' enough to keep walking. Part of the road down from Canfranc was washed away so the path was possbly as safe as anywhere.
This weekend it is predicted that it will snow, down to 500 metres.
I think that maybe it is wiser to walk earlier than the end of October :)

my old granny used to say. "there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing"
Sooo true, I must invest in some better clothing, I seem to have been soaked to the skin too often in the past couple of months, it's very liberating, when you can't get any wetter there is nothing left to worry about :D
Other than the fear of being washed into the next river, that is.

SabineP said:
I just posted this because the Aragones can get quite lonely and I for one would not like to walk under those weather circumstances. Then again I'm a chicken...;-)

It is quite amazing to think about snow a few weeks later when I walked in the most searing heat, particularly on 20th and 21st September - I am sure the temperature must have been between 35 and 40 degrees. There were only some 6 pilgrims each day, so it was a very isolated and remote route, and they were all young guys who left me for dust after the first 5 kms. I was ill-prepared because I had not realised that there was no where to buy anything along the way, nor were there any fuentas, and on that very long day between Arres and Ruesta I got into a very potentially serious situation as I had not taken any food with me because I thought I could buy something along the way, and I ran out of water with another 10 kms to go - plus I had broken my sunglasses, and lost my cap along the way. I was on the point of dehydration and stopped every 10 minutes just to allow my body to cool down. To my great relief, I caught up with a French pilgrim and told him of my plight - ie that I had no food and no water. His response was that he had enough provisions for 2 days in his pack, including water, chocolate, sardines, biscuits, cheese etc, but he could not stop to talk to me as he was looking for a suitable place to stop so he could 'put fuel in his body'. With that, he wished me a cordial goodbye as he had just seen a place to stop and eat his food. I can laugh about it now, but at that time when I was in a fairly desperate place, his unwillingness to share or to help a fellow pilgrim in trouble was quite breathtakingly uncaring.

The scenery of the Camino Aragones is stunning, and I would love to walk it again some time, but never again on my own. It is not a case of being 'chicken' - just being sensible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
jennysa said:
SabineP said:

It is quite amazing to think about snow a few weeks later when I walked in the most searing heat, particularly on 20th and 21st September - I am sure the temperature must have been between 35 and 40 degrees. There were only some 6 pilgrims each day, so it was a very isolated and remote route, and they were all young guys who left me for dust after the first 5 kms. I was ill-prepared because I had not realised that there was no where to buy anything along the way, nor were there any fuentas, and on that very long day between Arres and Ruesta I got into a very potentially serious situation as I had not taken any food with me because I thought I could buy something along the way, and I ran out of water with another 10 kms to go - plus I had broken my sunglasses, and lost my cap along the way. I was on the point of dehydration and stopped every 10 minutes just to allow my body to cool down. To my great relief, I caught up with a French pilgrim and told him of my plight - ie that I had no food and no water. His response was that he had enough provisions for 2 days in his pack, including water, chocolate, sardines, biscuits, cheese etc, but he could not stop to talk to me as he was looking for a suitable place to stop so he could 'put fuel in his body'. With that, he wished me a cordial goodbye as he had just seen a place to stop and eat his food. I can laugh about it now, but at that time when I was in a fairly desperate place, his unwillingness to share or to help a fellow pilgrim in trouble was quite breathtakingly uncaring.

The scenery of the Camino Aragones is stunning, and I would love to walk it again some time, but never again on my own. It is not a case of being 'chicken' - just being sensible.

Hmm Jenny, indeed not very pilgrim or gentlemanlike of that man...Not nice at all. Thanks for sharing your experience. Your story ( amongst others ) convinces me to leave the Aragones till someone can join me. Will stick to the Ruta del Ebro ...

Wow! Jenny, that is sad,that pilgrim not sharing with you. I am intending to walk the Aragones at the end of April alone. Am I crazy? I am 65 and did feel isolated this year on the VDLP after Salamanca but I thought, it is only a week before I meet the crowds on the Frances and I could cope. Would it be hot at that time of year? Would love to hear from others who have walked in spring.
Thank you all for this forum. It is a lifeline.
Heather

I would like to make some comments on the previous posts, as I walked this route last year, but in mid-September, and I also walked straight through from Arres to Ruesta, which is a distance of 27 km. It was very hot - around 35 degrees at midday- and I took only 1 litre of water with me as I thought I could stop at Artieda, a village which is 17 kms after Arres and with a bar and albergue, but it is 800 metres off the Camino up a hill and as I still had some water and it was only 10 kms to Ruesta, I walked on into the heat of the day and soon had to ration myself to two mouthfuls of water every hour, and on reaching Ruesta could only gasp 'Agua'. It was a big wake up call to the risk of dehydration, when I could so easily have stopped at Artieda for more water. At one stage I stood in the centre of a road to stop a local farmer who gave me the last of his water.
It is hard to believe that any person could refuse help to someone so much in need of help as Jenny.
I walked about a third of the route from Somport to Puenta la Reina on my own, the rest of the time with others from many nationalities, and every night at albergues there were between 10 and 20 pilgrims. I loved the route and arrival at Puenta la Reina with it's hundreds of pilgrims was not nice.
Next year in April and May I am walking the VDLP and anticipating that there will be far fewer walkers than on the Aragones.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.