• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad weather in Galicia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes I juat told a group of polish pilgrims about it today in Baiona. They will get to Vigo later today and I suggested they walk a short stage tomorrow to Redondela when the weather breaks

"Explosive Cyclogenesis" Wow...that sounds very scary. I wonder what that exactly means in terms of weather on the ground/walking conditions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Explosive Cyclogenesis" Wow...that sounds very scary. I wonder what that exactly means in terms of weather on the ground/walking conditions.

if this does happen
any person out walking in hilly terrain needs to avoid doing so, the effect will be rapid pressure drop,very high winds making it uncomfortable to walk properly. if on a elevated position. such as the border crossing from France into Spain high risk of exposure..

in rural areas with many old building in fragile states there is a risk or debris flying around....winds can reach over 70 mph ...

avoiding forested areas due to risk of falling trees ...

4 20-29
(13-18) Moderate Breeze

hair disarranged small branches sway, dust & loose paper rise, flags flap, small waves and many whitecaps on water
mod-breeze.jpg

5 30-39
(19-24) Fresh Breeze walking takes more effort small trees sway, flags ripple, moderate ocean waves
moderate-breeze.jpg

6 40-50
(25-31) Strong Breeze steady walking difficult large branches move, whistling can be heard in power lines, flags beat, umbrellas turn inside out, large waves and spray on water
umbrella.jpg

7 51-61
(32-38) Near Gale walking with great difficulty trees bend, hard to walk, flags extended, white foam on breaking waves
trees-bend.jpg

8 62-74
(39-46) Gale walking dangerous twigs break off trees, walking is extremely difficult, long moderately high waves on water
gale1.jpg

9 75-87
(47-54) Strong Gale blown over crawling difficult whole trees sway, slight damage to buildings may occur, TV antennas may blow off, awnings rip, spray on water reduces visibility
strong-gale.jpg

10 88-101 Storm progress impossible even by crawling some trees are uprooted, buildings are damaged, water is white foam and tumbling water is observed
storm1.jpg

11 102-119 Violent Storm many trees are unrooted widespread damage and very high waves
violent-storm.jpg

12 120+
(72+) Hurricane very rare, extreme structural damage, water is heavy and foaming, severe spray on water drastically reduces visibility
hurricane.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not usually an alarmist, but this sounds like weather where people should be seeking shelter. I wonder if bars and albergues will be warning pilgrims not to go out, and offering places for them to ride out the storm. With El Niño, we can expect extreme weather.

I'm not usually an alarmist, but this sounds like weather where people should be seeking shelter. I wonder if bars and albergues will be warning pilgrims not to go out, and offering places for them to ride out the storm. With El Niño, we can expect extreme weather.

good time to take a day off........some times these things are vastly reduced when they hit....does show on the wind charts I was looking the main intense area is crossing the border with Spain and Portugal coming westerly from Vigo and lower down

walking in high winds makes it also difficult to hear

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello fellow pilgrims, I'm in Porrino tonight and heading to Redondela in the morning. Should I be worried. Any advice will be appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello fellow pilgrims, I'm in Porrino tonight and heading to Redondela in the morning. Should I be worried. Any advice will be appreciated.

in the morning see what the weather is actual doing, if winds start to pick up adjust you plans for the day

80mph, surely, not kmh??
Take care out there, everyone. Even if it's only mph, it sounds like weather to avoid. And if it's kph, certainly that's so. Been through 2 hurricanes and a cyclone: wind that strong is worse than you can imagine...and that's just the wind.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
good time to take a day off........some times these things are vastly reduced when they hit....does show on the wind charts I was looking the main intense area is crossing the border with Spain and Portugal coming westerly from Vigo and lower down

walking in high winds makes it also difficult to hear
Thanks, plan on leaving from Sarria on Thursday. Can you shar that link please.

80mph, surely, not kmh??
Take care out there, everyone. Even if it's only mph, it sounds like weather to avoid. And if it's kph, certainly that's so. Been through 2 hurricanes and a cyclone: wind that strong is worse than you can imagine...and that's just the wind.

80 kph would equal about 50 mph

80 mph would be 129 kph.

Pretty sure they are estimating the kph number for the wind.

I hope the word is getting out to the people on the ground.

Thanks grayland, for the clarification...I had the arithmetic in my head backwards :confused:
I also hope the word is getting out there. There's another thread on the forum about it, so perhaps so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, plan on leaving from Sarria on Thursday. Can you shar that link please.

I was using XC WEATHER .just enter where you are.more accurate

Ok I entered Sarria for Thursday
weather for you will be

08:00 am west south west winds 6 mph gusting to 14 mph
11:00 am north west winds 7 mph gusting to 10 mph
14:00 pm south south west winds 5 mph gusting to 7 mph
17:00 pm south south east winds 9 mph gusting to 10 mph

over this time period no rain
temp 20 C at rising to 24 C at 14:00 pm

This means good walking weather for you.

Thanks for this - knew the weather was bad in Porto when I woke up this morning. I was due to start my first Camino from Barcelos in the morning and now that I've got here, and got soaked and blown to pieces on the way in from the station, I've decided to go on by train to Valenca and wait for the weather to clear and start from there. There are lots of branches blown down here in Barcelos so the wind has been gusting strongly.

Not how I hoped to start my Camino but such is life. Now I've an excuse to come back and walk from Porto to Valenca another year!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the update on the actual conditions on the ground.
Hopefully, others will join in and tell us of the adventures the storm caused on their camino.

Apparently, for those trying to walk towards the end of the Camino Frances it was exhilarating in retrospect. 2 hardened welsh walkers ( daddy doesn't drive so they have always walked, everywhere, in storms or sunshine) had a lot to say about the inclement weather. It was easily the worst they had experienced on the walk, and involved sideways rain.
Good luck all those just setting out. I think things have settled down now.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back