• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad weather - Is it walkable?

Pirsing

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino Frances/Ivierno (Sep 2022)
Starting in tuesday in Ponferrada and saw the weather forecast for a week :confused: 1662760742217.png
Is this a "walkable" weather or better to stay in albergues for rainy days?
What people usualy do, when its 90% of rain and thunderstorm?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There's no typical pattern of what people do! People already on the camino will get up in the morning, look out the window, look at the forecast, and make different decisions!

It looks like the weather will be warm, so getting chilled isn't an issue. Get a local update on the thunderstorms/lightning and think about the nature of the terrain ahead, for example what villages/towns there are in case you decide you need to shelter. Consider shorter days.

Do you have any flexibility in delaying your start?

Though it is forecast to be wet, it looks like wind will not play a significant role, so at least the rain won't be coming in sideways.

However the lightening forecast is definitely something to keep an eye on and, as C clearly advises, be sure to get a local update as you go along. I would not chance walking in lightening but would hunker down indoors.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting in tuesday in Ponferrada and saw the weather forecast for a week :confused: View attachment 132507
Is this a "walkable" weather or better to stay in albergues for rainy days?
What people usualy do, when its 90% of rain and thunderstorm?
It depends a lot on how much time you have. Ive been tight on time and walked. Its a bit scary walking in thunder and lightening, but I had a flight booked back home - plus you can't stay in the albergue.
You'll have to leave anyway.

They say that there's no bad weather, just wrong clothes for the weather. 😉

And remember the % number for rain doesn't mean that it's going to rain say, 72% of the time. It means that there's a 72% chance that it will rain during the given time period.

Rain is something we walk in, and it's never stopped me from doing that. Thunderstorms are another story - if there's a high probability of lightning, walking early in the day is the most reliable way to avoid being caught out, since thunderstorms are most common in the afternoon.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Rain never stopped us, however heavy. That's what rain gear is for. ;)
Lightning I might be a bit wary of depending on the terrain.
We actually quite liked walking in the rain..... It creates a wonderful 'fresh' feeling.

They say that there's no bad weather, just wrong clothes for the weather.
I have a good rain clothes (Pants, Jacket, cover for backpack). Only shoes dont have rain protection (Altra Lone peak 5). Also will buy umbrella when i arrive to Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking at the photo Robo just posted, it strikes me if your gear is good, best not to waste time with an umbrella, if there will be high winds. Also, your idea to move across to the Frances could be a smart move. When you are told that you can't stay in albergues, that means the ones that are either church or municipal run, where you have to go by around 8am. I think if your accommodation is private you will have better options for begging shelter inside for longer.
You asked in another thread about google pay - you have it on your phone, try, but clearly you need to choose the establishment. Small ones without machines won't be able to deal with that, I imagine. You know how it works, you can see when you try. I am trying to picture how it might work and I just can see my laptop and an invoice on the screen, so that's where my imaging stops, can't help any more!
Whatever, you are due to go soon, so I wish you buen camino, keep us posted.

Some advice re lightning if you are unable to get safely into a building.

If you can hear thunder you should already be on your way to shelter as the lightning could already be dangerously close and approaching fast.

If you find yourself in an exposed location it’s recommended to either sit on your backpack (containing no metal) or crouch down onto the balls of your feet and cover your ears with your hands and with elbows on your knees and your head tucked between them. Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground. Throw your walking pole away from you, obviously don't stick it into the ground (remembering where you threw it!).

This position allows a very small part of your body to touch the ground, reducing the chance of a lightning strike. Remember to keep away from lone trees, fences and other lone-standing objects near you. If in a group split up.

If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.

Some advice re lightning if you are unable to get safely into a building.

If you can hear thunder you should already be on your way to shelter as the lightning could already be dangerously close and approaching fast.

If you find yourself in an exposed location it’s recommended to either sit on your backpack (containing no metal) or crouch down onto the balls of your feet and cover your ears with your hands and with elbows on your knees and your head tucked between them. Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground. Throw your walking pole away from you, obviously don't stick it into the ground (remembering where you threw it!).

This position allows a very small part of your body to touch the ground, reducing the chance of a lightning strike. Remember to keep away from lone trees, fences and other lone-standing objects near you. If in a group split up.

If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.
like this but as a baldy have to renege on the standing hair warning :) This is where carbon walking poles have to be dealt with ( with caution !) There is a neat little warning on my beach casting poles : "do not use in thunderstorms" : self frying? Buen camino

Samarkand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi from Leon. I'm also going to be affected by the rain in two days. By then, I will be in Astorga and heading into the mountains. I will likely walk no matter what. I've got my clothes and sleeping bag in large ziplock bags, so they should remain dry even if water enters my backpack. My main concern is water getting into my shoes. I may need to visit a sports store here in Leon to see what's available for around the ankles to prevent the shoes from getting soaked. Hopefully, the rain will not be too heavy....

Lots of good information here. I would add one more very important thing, at least from my experience. Most people will walk through rain at some point and it won't be much of a problem outside of temporary inconvenience and discomfort. One significant consequence though is the effect rain has on your feet. I walked 40 days on the Via de la Plata this March/April and the only blisters I got were on rain days. Your socks get wet, gain weight and can start to rub your toes and heel in unaccustomed ways. When this happens, take very good care of your feet. If you feel a hot spot, treat it right away. Change socks if you can. There is no such thing as waterproof shoes and the ones that claim to be waterproof don't let your feet breathe. You're going to have to deal with wet socks so be on top of it when it happens.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good info on this thread. Question - does anyone have link to local weather resource(s)? We’re in Atapuerta and heading into Burgos and the meseta. Rain in forecast on Weather App but not seeing any details for wind and especially lightening.

Good info on this thread. Question - does anyone have link to local weather resource(s)? We’re in Atapuerta and heading into Burgos and the meseta. Rain in forecast on Weather App but not seeing any details for wind and especially lightening.
I have found https://www.viewweather.com/
to be very accurate. Just enter a town name. Use the three-bar “hamburger” icon to set F degrees, if desired, and view data such as sunrise time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I left Irún 3 weeks ago I was expecting 3 days of thunder storms and heavy rain - Never happened.

So far, lots of rain and thunderstorms forecast, but it's hit mostly at night.

I'm not saying the forecast is wrong, but if I'd believed it I'd still be in Irún!!

I've had an extremely good run without rain and I know that people around me have got hit with it.

But, you have come prepared for heavy rain (but not storms) yes?

I'm in the same boat with Monday and Tuesday heavy rain and Wednesday and Thursday thunderstorms. (I'm in Ribadesella)

It won't affect my choices much as I have my rain gear with me.

Thanks for the advises. Checked weather now and it seems like will be less rain than it was predicted 2 days ago. Also thunderstorm disappeared. ⛈️

A quote from a previous discussion of this topic: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/thunderstorms.69360/#post-899503

“If caught in open country in a thunderstorm crouch down with your head between your knees” said the Outward Bound instructor. “Will that protect us from lightning strike?” Asked the innocent Newby. “No, but it makes it easier to find the bits...”

Potential lightning. It’s always a good time to lend your walking poles to a friend.

Seriously, if you need an accurate short-term weather forecast, don’t look down at your phone, look up at the sky. As soon as apple create an app to dispense food and toilet paper (cf Amazon Prime) I swear that half the population will never stir from their seat.

Last edited:
just don't waste your time with the inaccurate weather forecast and your phone:)

I have a good rain clothes (Pants, Jacket, cover for backpack). Only shoes dont have rain protection (Altra Lone peak 5). Also will buy umbrella when i arrive to Spain.

If you have good rain pants and jacket, I'd suggest you don't need an Umbrella (for the rain).
We have them, but use mainly for sun protection.

Great advice above. You also asked..'Is this a "walkable" weather or better to stay in albergues for rainy days?' I don't think anyone has said, you cant stay in most albergues during the day. The vacate time is usually 8am.
Also, just a little story about weather & mental lessons on the Camino. I remember walking in freezing wind and rain all day, with all the gear - my Gortex coat and shoes, merino layers. I was resting at top of a hill when this older lady came by, sand shoes, $2 plastic poncho, singing as she approached out of the mist. I said, isn't this awful?! All she said was 'If you cant change something, change how you think about it,' and she was off - singing as she went. Im sure I still moaned, but it has stuck with me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also, just a little story about weather & mental lessons on the Camino. I remember walking in freezing wind and rain all day, with all the gear - my Gortex coat and shoes, merino layers. I was resting at top of a hill when this older lady came by, sand shoes, $2 plastic poncho, singing as she approached out of the mist. I said, isn't this awful?! All she said was 'If you cant change something, change how you think about it,' and she was off - singing as she went. Im sure I still moaned, but it has stuck with me.
That's exactly what I tell people who complain about the "crowds" on the final 100 km.

I remember coming to the first village on the Meseta with another female pilgrim when a storm arrived and we saw lightning nearby. She wanted to get in the nearby ditch to hide from the lightning however rightly or wrongly I said let's run for it as the albergue was only 100 meters away. I was drenched and decided to have an early day, shower, machine wash my clothes and dry my shoes. I even had lunch and a nap. She decided to continue walking. I caught up with her a couple of days later.
This was a unforgettable day.

Ok, now i can answer to my own question 🤣
Today i did my first day of Camino. From Ponferrada to Trabadelo (started at 8am and finished at 3pm. There was a lot of rain, but i just walked in rain and it was good exierience. Just have a good rain clothes. Btw, i used some plastic poncho over my other rain clothes, because i had a gap between backpack and my back so water came inside. Now resting in albergue Crispeta .
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back