• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bad weather.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From the State Dept:

Weather Alert - US Embassy Madrid, Spain (October 13, 2018)

Event: Hurricane Leslie is expected to impact portions of mainland Spain between 02:00 pm on Saturday October 13th through Sunday, October 14th. Spanish authorities are warning people to expect high winds, heavy rainfall and possible flooding. Please follow local weather updates for your location and check our website: https://es.usembassy.gov

For further information monitor: or https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The news reports indicate that there has been significant damage and casualties.

I have not seen any posts from people walking in the affected areas so am not sure what impact in may have had on the caminos.
The path appears to include Porto all the way east to Leon on the Camino Frances.

Would I be correct in saying that leslie is coming back again as a post tropical cyclone. ..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Would I be correct in saying that leslie is coming back again as a post tropical cyclone.
I'd say you would not be correct in saying that ;). The remnants of Leslie are currently over Italy and bring rain (blue areas below) while the remnants of Michael (yes, the one from Florida) is currently approaching Portugal and Spain with more rain. Most of Europe is basking under a high pressure weather system and enjoying an unusually warm and sunny October. I don't know much about these weather systems but as far as I know the Mediterranean Sea isn't the kind of area where low pressure systems (re)gain strength to become cyclones or hurricanes.

Leslie 16 Oct 2018.jpeg

Last edited:
I am planning to walk the Rota Vicentina/Fisherman's Way, a tour of Lisbon/Sintra, then walking the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago, the month of April.
I am slightly concerned if the recent hurricane will have left any long term damage to these areas, such as debris or decimated buildings. Any comments from those of you who have read more details? Should I abort this Camino in favor of another, or should I not be concerned?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning to walk the Rota Vicentina/Fisherman's Way, a tour of Lisbon/Sintra, then walking the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago, the month of April.
I am slightly concerned if the recent hurricane will have left any long term damage to these areas, such as debris or decimated buildings. Any comments from those of you who have read more details? Should I abort this Camino in favor of another, or should I not be concerned?
I'm portuguese and can tell you that generally speaking everything is fine. In april you will not even notice that something has happened.

I'd say you would not be correct in saying that ;). The remnants of Leslie are currently over Italy and bring rain (blue areas below) while the remnants of Michael (yes, the one from Florida) is currently approaching Portugal and Spain with more rain. Most of Europe is basking under a high pressure weather system and enjoying an unusually warm and sunny October. I don't know much about these weather systems but as far as I know the Mediterranean Sea isn't the kind of area where low pressure systems (re)gain strength to become cyclones or hurricanes.

View attachment 47621
Just got a message on my phone of a post tropical storm ... sorry if I caused alarm ... maybe it's a late one ...

Just got a message on my phone of a post tropical storm ... sorry if I caused alarm ... maybe it's a late one ...
A quick and easy way for an overview of current severe weather warnings for Europe is http://www.meteoalarm.eu, the network of all the official European weather services. They provide forecasts for severe weather warnings for only the current day and the next day and it can change very quickly. A few hours ago, there was an area in the South East of France that was coloured red - the highest alert level. It is now downgraded to orange, a lower level. The area concerned is the Aude region (Carcassonne). It is the area that has been hardest hit by flooding due to the passage of Leslie.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A quick and easy way for an overview of current severe weather warnings for Europe is http://www.meteoalarm.eu, the network of all the official European weather services. They provide forecasts for severe weather warnings for only the current day and the next day and it can change very quickly. A few hours ago, there was an area in the South East of France that was coloured red - the highest alert level. It is now downgraded to orange, a lower level. The area concerned is the Aude region (Carcassonne). It is the area that has been hardest hit by flooding due to the passage of Leslie.
Thank you for that information Kathar1na.
Much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.