• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag Delivery and Accommodation Tips for Camino Portuguese from Porto in May

bootscobler

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino May 2022
Does anyone know what company to use for a bag delivery on the Camino Portuguese (from Porto)? Also is everyone winging the accommodations at this time? Or should I make reservations for an accommodations? I’m going in May! Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tuitrans and Pilbeo provide this service on the Portuguese routes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's very quiet just now. In Porto there's a complete absence of pilgrims and tourists. Yesterday, a fine day, I found many places closed and vacant and met just one pilgrim en route as I took a walk 30km up the coast to Vila do Conde. There I spoke with the hospitalera at Santa Clara (it has been closed for almost 2 years) and she told me with sadness, she doesn't think it will open again. A shame, I have nice memories of staying there. She told me of limited options further up the coast.

Of course it's mid January and none of this may be relevant in May, I hope not, but I would at least check on accomodation options ahead..

It's very quiet just now. In Porto there's a complete absence of pilgrims and tourists. Yesterday, a fine day, I found many places closed and vacant and met just one pilgrim en route as I took a walk 30km up the coast to Vila do Conde. There I spoke with the hospitalera at Santa Clara (it has been closed for almost 2 years) and she told me with sadness, she doesn't think it will open again. A shame, I have nice memories of staying there. She told me of limited options further up the coast.

Of course it's mid January and none of this may be relevant in May, I hope not, but I would at least check on accomodation options ahead..
That’s so sad to hear but hopefully by May ñ, things could turn around. This is one of the reasons I want to reserve at least a few days of accommodations to ensure I get a place to stay. It’s also my first Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That’s so sad to hear but hopefully by May ñ, things could turn around. This is one of the reasons I want to reserve at least a few days of accommodations to ensure I get a place to stay. It’s also my first Camino
Have a fabulous trip bootscobler. My sis and I started our Portuguese at the end of May 2017 from Porto and it was incredible. Beautiful.

It may open more in May. We walked from Porto last October and had no difficulty finding a bed at the end of the day.

Does anyone know what company to use for a bag delivery on the Camino Portuguese (from Porto)? Also is everyone winging the accommodations at this time? Or should I make reservations for an accommodations? I’m going in May! Thanks!
I am leaving Porto on may 7. I will be doing the coastal route then crossing over to the central route at Vila do Conde. Because of current covid conditions I have booked all my stays thru Booking. Com and Airb&b and I am currently seeking baggage transfer also. I got an email by Tui trans saying they will not intermix Routes (Coastal & Central) and will not pick up at air Airb&b. I am working on other transportation as we speak to find the easiest way to transport. Where theres a will theres a way! 🤞

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I don't mean to paint a bleak picture for you, I'm sure it will improve in Spring, but I just wouldn't rely on or judge it by previous years.

Hello
Are you sure tuitrans and others privuddc

Hello
Are you sure tuitrans and others privuddc
Hello are you sure they provide services from Lisbon all the way to Santiago de Campostela at Euro 4/drop? Or only from Porto??
Very Best
Capt Bonnie ( Vivek )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Boots!
I am contemplating between Camino Portuguese Central and Camino Del Norte( much tougher much longer) with the latter possibly more organised after Easter ( 4th week April 2022).
Very Best!

I am leaving Porto on may 7. I will be doing the coastal route then crossing over to the central route at Vila do Conde. Because of current covid conditions I have booked all my stays thru Booking. Com and Airb&b and I am currently seeking baggage transfer also. I got an email by Tui trans saying they will not intermix Routes (Coastal & Central) and will not pick up at air Airb&b. I am working on other transportation as we speak to find the easiest way to transport. Where theres a will theres a way! 🤞
We did the exact route and Caminofacil moved our luggage. Not sure about Airbnb though, they like to have someone there who will accept your bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah from Porto Many Possibilities..
It’s the 640-240 = 400 km
From Lisbon to Porto where there is nothing organised such as Correos..
For people with genuine physical problems that stretch is a definite disadvantage.. someone mentioned Euro 1.00 / km
meaning Euro 400:- minimum… i believe it’s much more.
Very Best

Something to consider is to make sure your accommodations accept transported bags. When I stayed in the albergue in Rates, there was a fellow who arrived looking for his backpack which had been rerouted to a nearby shop because they don't accept shipped bags (and seemed reluctant to accept pilgrims who ship bags).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used Tuitrans for 3 Caminhos and found them brilliant, however I used Caminofacil for my last Caminho as they were 40% cheaper and just as good. Their interactive user-friendly website was another advantage over Tuitrans

I used Tuitrans for 3 Caminhos and found them brilliant, however I used Caminofacil for my last Caminho as they were 40% cheaper and just as good. Their interactive user-friendly website was another advantage over Tuitrans
Thank you! This is great information!

@bootscobler As far as reserving/winging it, it's impossible to predict how many walkers there will be on the Portugués this spring so I re-planned my canceled 2020 Camino by reserving everything through booking.com. I was surprised that many places I'd reserved in 2020 were filled three months ahead! But lately I've been contacting albergues and, honestly, they don't know either what to expect! So I'm inclined to keep the booked rooms for long walking days when I'll arrive late, and count on albergues when I know I'll arrive around mid-day. I've done that on past walks and it's given me peace of mind.
Regarding weather and clothing, there are lots of forum threads on this. I have a kind of standard kit bag after 4 spring and fall caminos -- a sequence of layers from t-shirt, to sun-protective long-sleeve blouse, to merino pullover, to an old Patagonia puffy, and a lightweight Gore-tex rain jacket that is both rain and wind-protective but also "nice" for the cities. I bought an Altus in 2018 (search forum to find out about this) in Sarria and, boy, was that smart, as it rained the rest of the way to SDC! I have two pair quick-dry pants but try to wear the khakis every day and save the black ones again for "nice." Thai "elephant pants" and Teva sandals for after-walk lounging, wine drinking, and walking to shower. Everyone has their own favorite number of socks. The key is .. everything hand-washable and quick-dry! But do clothing searches and get lots of suggestions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@bootscobler As far as reserving/winging it, it's impossible to predict how many walkers there will be on the Portugués this spring so I re-planned my canceled 2020 Camino by reserving everything through booking.com. I was surprised that many places I'd reserved in 2020 were filled three months ahead! But lately I've been contacting albergues and, honestly, they don't know either what to expect! So I'm inclined to keep the booked rooms for long walking days when I'll arrive late, and count on albergues when I know I'll arrive around mid-day. I've done that on past walks and it's given me peace of mind.
Regarding weather and clothing, there are lots of forum threads on this. I have a kind of standard kit bag after 4 spring and fall caminos -- a sequence of layers from t-shirt, to sun-protective long-sleeve blouse, to merino pullover, to an old Patagonia puffy, and a lightweight Gore-tex rain jacket that is both rain and wind-protective but also "nice" for the cities. I bought an Altus in 2018 (search forum to find out about this) in Sarria and, boy, was that smart, as it rained the rest of the way to SDC! I have two pair quick-dry pants but try to wear the khakis every day and save the black ones again for "nice." Thai "elephant pants" and Teva sandals for after-walk lounging, wine drinking, and walking to shower. Everyone has their own favorite number of socks. The key is .. everything hand-washable and quick-dry! But do clothing searches and get lots of suggestions.
Aww thank you for the tips!! I’m definitely a newbie on the Camino and I’m not sure what is the best for me. I have preboked my accommodations because I might get panic attacks if I find no place to stay after 15 miles of walking. This way I have peace of mind. The only expensive ones are the one in Baiona and Santiago so if I find a nicer place to stay other than the one I booked I don’t feel bad losing the money. I didn’t allocate for rest day though but I figure on the days I’m really tired I’ll take a taxi halfway to my accommodations but we shall see how I do. Thanks again. Btw do you have tips on places to eat that you absolutely loved along the way of the coastal portugués?

I'm walking the Central and haven't walked the Coastal. I think you should ask your question in a more related thread so that the info appears there for everyone interested in your topic. As far as losing your money, ONLY book a fully cancellable option because none of us can predict whether or how Covid will raise its ugly head again. There are people on the forum who've had to cancel multiple trips since 2020. Don't commit any money in advance!

Hi which luggage transfer company did you use? How were the accommodation options? Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi which luggage transfer company did you use? How were the accommodation options? Thanks!
Please be well aware of Covid!
Accommodations are getting expensive day by day; a pity. The owners seem to be increasing prices after the 2 year shut down. I did the entire CP from Lisbon to SdeC and it was not cheap ..
As far as transport for your Mochila : not possible between Lisbon to Porto; let me rephrase .. possible in a normal taxi with the meter running so it’s darn expensive.. from Tui Spain I would strongly suggest Correos Spain.. reports state they are the BEST and CHEAPEST
Vbw
Captain Bonnie

I traveled from mid-April to mid-May from Porto to SDC, central route, with the spiritual variant. Tuitrans required that I give them my entire itinerary in advance and pay upfront (95€ for around 12 pickups?) I've done various Caminos often enough to know how far I like to walk, and I was able to pre-book lots of places that had communal dinners or that "Camino" feeling, so that was fine with me. Tuitrans wouldn't service public albergues or monasteries. I had one complication and it was hard to get them on the phone or WhatsApp during the morning rush; otherwise, the service was flawless.
Re costs, my three-week trip budgeted out to exactly US $2100, or $100/day, excluding airfare, which was a mileage ticket. There were a few pricey hotel stays but my accoms ranged from 30€ to 55€. I still had my 2020 itinerary which I'd had to cancel; there were 5€ increases between 2020 and 2020 in most places.
I hope this helps people currently planning.

Last edited:
Hi how did the walk go? I am planning the same in a few weeks. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Accommodations are getting expensive day by day; a pity. The owners seem to be increasing prices after the 2 year shut down. I did the entire CP from Lisbon to SdeC and it was not cheap ..
As far as transport for your Mochila : not possible between Lisbon to Porto; let me rephrase .. possible in a normal taxi with the meter running so it’s darn expensive.. from Tui Spain I would strongly suggest Correos Spain.. reports state they are the BEST and CHEAPEST
Vbw
Captain Bonnie
Hi CaptainBonnie

We are starting in early August from Lisbon, walking through Fatima onto Porto then SdC - I realise that is about 8 weeks after your Camino, but how did you find the accommodation levels? Was it easy to find a bed in most towns? And on average roughly how much per night did you pay?

Thanks for any help
Davybhoy

It's up to you it's your Camino. I made reservations on my last three Camino's. And it worked for me. Made reservations one week at a time. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vbw
Captain Bonnie
What about luggage transfer for Camino starting in November? Any recommendations? I've asked Tuitrans and so far, negative. Thank you.

As far as losing your money, ONLY book a fully cancellable option because none of us can predict whether or how Covid will raise its ugly head again. There are people on the forum who've had to cancel multiple trips since 2020. Don't commit any money in advance!
This is very good advice! Should be engraved in stone somewhere along the trail.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
on caminofacil.net they say they will pick up/drop at apartments as long as they have the contact info of the host. I guess it's up to the hose as well to be available?

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back