• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag size as an extreme sport

Paul Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
On my first camino I used my a Lowe Alpine Airzone 25…7kg great bag
When I started my CF late Sept I used a Quechua 40l bag added a sleeping bag and extra clothing…mistake 11kg 🤦🏼‍♂️ Good bag though
I’m going back to my Lowe Alpine when I return to the CF in 4wks 👍
But here’s my question I’m going back early Sept for 10 days and I’m thinking of trying a 5l waist bag (picture below) I’ve already tried it with a basic pack list
Boxers
Socks
T-shirt
Shorts
Towel
Soap
First aid kit (small)
Charger for phone
Micro torch
Bag liner
Rain jacket
Survival Bag
Travel document…
So come on has anyone tried this or am I mad 🤷🏼‍♂️2A89412F-1B82-4926-90E3-03F5030BEE14.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What could possibly go wrong? I’d strongly recommend using the braces (or yolk) to shift some of the weight onto your shoulders. Also possibly consider adding in one of those micro-compressible day sacks. They squeeze down to half the size of an apple ( I couldn’t think of anything that size). That gives you emergency capacity if it all goes wrong.

Would you, or your next of kin, keep us informed of the outcome?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dunno about that 5l bag, I don't think I'd be happy with such a small pack, but the Lowe Alpine 25 you mentioned is a great compact pack. I'm on my second, the first was still usable but had gotten too scruffy after 8 caminos/6,000km.

When I started my CF late Sept I used a Quechua 40l bag added a sleeping bag and extra clothing…mistake 11kg 🤦🏼‍♂️ Good bag though
But here’s my question I’m going back early Sept for 10 days and I’m thinking of trying a 5l waist bag (picture below) I’ve already tried it with a basic pack list
Boxers
Socks
T-shirt
Shorts
Towel
Soap
First aid kit (small)
Charger for phone
Micro torch
Bag liner
Rain jacket
Survival Bag
Travel document…
So come on has anyone tried this or am I mad 🤷🏼‍♂️View attachment 121873
Well no danger of overpacking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok looks like the general consensus so far is “that should be a laugh” and as said above the CF is well serviced so at worst I could pick up a small day bag en-route for anything I deemed essential but based on my 1st test packing it looks doable but will try with my compression sack to see if I can save more space 🤣🤣 buen camino mi amigos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would personally find it too bulky and awkward even though I love using a waist bag on Caminos. I have a rather narrow, smallish frame and so I envision my elbows rubbing on the sides and also a sense of a loss of freedom of movement.

Trecile was kind enough to link the blog where this exactly has been done (for some reason, i always fail to google it).

I think it is possible as long as you stay in private rooms. Once you have to add a sleeping bag, this falls apart.
Personally i would rather get a really light backpack that offers more room to have more options clothing wise. The lightest backpack i own clocks in at 172g and offers around 15L capacity. I'd guess the hip bag is significantly heavier at a third of the volume.

Trecile was kind enough to link the blog where this exactly has been done (for some reason, i always fail to google it).

I think it is possible as long as you stay in private rooms. Once you have to add a sleeping bag, this falls apart.
Personally i would rather get a really light backpack that offers more room to have more options clothing wise. The lightest backpack i own clocks in at 172g and offers around 15L capacity. I'd guess the hip bag is significantly heavier at a third of the volume.
I actually bought it for my days out walking with the dog but when it arrived the Camino thing activated in my brain and I did the fairly normal I wonder 🤔 so I thought I might as well wonder out loud on here, I usually just use a bag liner on my Camino so should still be good for albergues although I’m really grateful for everyone’s advice and thoughts I will give it a test run soon and feed back the results 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Boxers
Socks
T-shirt
Shorts
Towel
Soap
First aid kit (small)
Charger for phone
Micro torch
Bag liner
Rain jacket
Survival Bag
Travel document…
Brave call, but what’s the worst that can happen? You need to go to Decathlon ?

When I came back from my 2018 Ingles I did a three day hike with a friend who hadn't been able to come along with me. Here's my "packload" and it fitted easily inside the swim bag.

1649003070734.png
although I decided that I'd use my Mountainsmith lumbar pack with strapettes instead:

1649003303937.png

The Altus and the red rain jacket were a mistake (also a miss take) but it sat out of the way under the pack in the two loops provided (and it didn't rain). Missing is a basic wash kit - we didn't take towels as we were staying B&Bs. A water bottle fitted into one side pocket, lunch into the other.
I wore (IIRC) trail runners, zip off shorts, a tech-teeshirt, sun hat and a lightweight fleece.
We managed quite adequately though would I do it on a Camino? Even the Ingles? Not sure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But here’s my question I’m going back early Sept for 10 days and I’m thinking of trying a 5l waist bag (picture below)

You, sir, are an inspiration! I feel like this would be totally workable for a 10 day walk in decent late summer weather. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Boxers
Socks
T-shirt
Shorts
Towel
Soap
First aid kit (small)
Charger for phone
Micro torch
Bag liner
Rain jacket
Survival Bag
Travel document…
I seriously considered this idea and got a similar bag to yours but I felt it was too bulky. I got an Osprey 18 litre stuff bag. (My gear weighs only 2kgs). I also got an Osprey waist pack for phone, cards, passport etc. Both packs are super light and are working really well in my training for the Portuguese Coastal in September.

Boxers
Socks
T-shirt
Shorts
Towel
Soap
First aid kit (small)
Charger for phone
Micro torch
Bag liner
Rain jacket
Survival Bag
Travel document…
Hey, if it carries what you need and is comfortable, go for it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like the premise of the challenge - however I would worry that they waist area would be too bulky and feel unbalanced. I would personally rather do a 20L backpack with a hipbelt and shoulder straps for better distribution of the weight and better balancing of the weight compared to the hip bag. Also - will you ever carry extra food? I would want the extra space - if only to throw in a bocadilla or fruit or other mid-walk snack for when the towns are spread further apart. Or what if you find you DO need more gear than the bare bones basics? Will you have room to add anything to your pack? If not - what would you give up in exchange? Or would you simply have to ditch the small bag and buy another?

Anyhow - if you own this bag - I suggest you try it out at home for a couple really long walks. And then compare it to your other (smaller) bag and see what is more comfortable. Either way - you can take the same gear if you really want to go that light.

But yes - packing light is certainly a sport and a fun challenge!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.