• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag Size

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello guys,
How big should my backpack be? I've read things like: 15% of my bodyweight; or 30-40 litres; 35-40 litres? What are your suggestions?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The average backpack used on the Camino is about 35 liters plus or minus 3-5 depending on your personal preference. My own pack loaded weighs 12-13 lbs. not including food and water. This is for a woman walking in the spring and includes a sleeping bag and adequate rain and "cold in the mountains" gear. A well planned and edited packing list would be around that range.

My opinion is that the 15% rule does not work for the Camino. Someone once suggested that the 15% rule ment that because they weighed so many pounds more than "average" they could carry more, which of course would be much more unnecessary stuff. Go as light as possible!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Summertime, warm weather Camino? No larger than 35L. IMO of course.

I think that 15% of your body weight is too much. My pack weighed 14.5 pounds without water, and was 36 liters. You can save weight just by buying a lighter pack. Try to find one as close to two pounds as possible.

I've read things like: 15% of my bodyweight
The commonly quoted rule is 10%, not 15%. And that is just a complicated way of saying that a good guess of what an average person might be comfortable carrying all day, is 12-20 pounds (which happens to be 10% of 120-200 pounds) or 4-8 kg. It will fit in a backpack of under 40 L. Aim for that unless you can prove through trial walks that you are happy with more.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
7 spring and late summer Caminos, regardless of my wieght my pack has always beeb 7.5-8.5kg. Old pack was heavier, new one weighs 900grams on its own. Even if I lose or gain weight, my pack will keep weighing the same.

Sofronii, welcome aboard, your first day in this forum!

Backpack: I would take a look at a 30-40L (full disclosure, I am very happy with my 34L backpack]. You can do a search and find one you like

Clothing: In reference to your other question about clothing, no need to spend a lot of money on high ticket items, just find quick-drying items, practice with the backpack, shirts, and pants you plan to use for the camino and you will do fine.

Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi Sofronii

My English is not my first language but i will do my best...The forum here have a full of informations i spend almost two years to read posts on it.

About the 15 % of body it's seem to me too much. (if you search on this forums you will see probably some posts by a member named dougfitz and he explain many things about this). Me I used 10% of body weight...and a kitchen scale....i weight everything my glasses my watch...yeah I'm crazy.
But i think 10% is a guide line, I explain myself: if the person weight 250 lbs he does not need 5 t-shirts and 8 pairs of socks. So i think it's good to compare items between with an excel sheet and then i realize how all the stuff you want to bring weight together (and don't forget the bag itself). But if you take all your stuff including the clothings you are wearing your shoes/boots and you weigh it and is less than 15 % it's can be ok. (i think it's call skin out weight)

For the size of backpack: it's good question :), an advice I read here is to bring all your stuff at the store when you are ready to buy your backpack and you will see how big you need. don't forget space for the food you will buy on the way. I said it to you because the type of raining solution you choose and if you bring a sleeping bag affect the size of the bag.
By the way my bag is a Osprey Talon 44 (I'm not working for Osprey), i did the camino in July-August and i bring a sleeping bag. Will i bring the same bag for next Camino? Yes i Will. And the weight was about 7.5 kg.

I hope my English is clear and you will understand what i want to say.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For what its worth I have used a Gregory Z40 that I purchased in 2012 and have really enjoyed. I never fill it, but it fits really well and has upper and lower compartments with both front and top access. Its an older style pack compared to those available now and a bit heavier. When I walked The 88 Temple route in Japan last spring I used my Osprey 24 which was excellent...I needed less gear, and as the route was more challenging than the European Caminos I had experienced, I was looking for a lighter pack. Even though I'd learned so much about pack weight management on my earlier Caminos, I learned even more during the Japanese henro experience. So many steep climbs!! My original Gregory is now well used and I have just purchased their new Zulu 30 for 2018 which is comparably lighter and more state of the art.

Your pack weight will likely vary by season and where you are walking. I carry certain things when walking in the early spring or late fall that I'd never consider carrying closer to the summer period. For example, I won't carry a sleeping bag in France or in the warmer months June - September and the same with a fleece. So the 10% thing is just a guideline. As important is your fitness and mental preparation.

There are other gear differences as well, but I'm sure you'll sort these out as you read and plan. If you can purchase your pack from a place that permits easy returns if it doesn't prove suitable for your needs, it will really help you to better figure out what will work for you. Fill it and take it for several nice hikes. In Canada MEC has a really good and supportive return policy. Sometimes worth spending just a few dollars more for this policy alone. Have fun preparing as it's part of the process and the pleasure, though it can be confusing at times!! Good for you to ask questions as there is loads of supportive experience on this form.:)

On my summer 2018 CF, I used an Arcteryx Brize 32L pack with room to spare and loved it, I think 25L is doable and may give that a try on my 2019 CF

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.