• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag transfer collection time

kelyjt

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi we are looking to book a bag transfer company for the Frances. The first company we contacted wants our bags to be ready by 8am each morning.. is that standard across all companies offering this service?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know for sure, but it seems quite likely since most albergues want you to be out by 8 a.m. anyway. Albergue operators then need to do clean-up, etc., and then have some time off during the middle of the day before the next batch of pilgrims arrive. So they would want the bag pickup to be done at a predictable time while they are still in the albergue.

I don't know for sure, but it seems quite likely since most albergues want you to be out by 8 a.m. anyway. Albergue operators then need to do clean-up, etc., and then have some time off during the middle of the day before the next batch of pilgrims arrive. So they would want the bag pickup to be done at a predictable time while they are still in the albergue.
Ok thanks that makes sense but we are staying in a few Casa’s and Pensiones so would not always apply to us hence wondering if we can get a later collection

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi we are looking to book a bag transfer company for the Frances. The first company we contacted wants our bags to be ready by 8am each morning.. is that standard across all companies offering this service?
That was definitely my experience, having used a few different companies. Bags need to be ready for collection in whatever spot your albergue/ pensione/ hotel designates by 8am at the latest. They may not be collected quite that early, but often are, especially if you are at or near the beginning of one of the guidebook stages. You won't have an option for an individualized collection time, because the drivers for each service pick up all bags waiting for them and then move on to the next pickup point. In places where we didn't plan to leave so early, we just had to make sure our bags were packed and downstairs (or wherever) before 8.00, then took our time over breakfast or getting ready. Maybe keep your toothbrush out of the bags you are having carried forward!

Hope that helps

We used Correos for the CF last September and October. 8 AM was the time they came around. Sometimes they would even be a few minutes early. The only time we wished it was later was near the end of October when the sun was not up yet and the days started cooler.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
8am seemed to be the standard time I was told!

If you are staying in Casas and Pensions - I would assume they provide bedding and perhaps even a few toiletries. If so, you should still be able to pack your bag up the night before or early in the morning - drop it off in the lobby before 8, and return to your room to relax a bit longer. Just leave out anything you still need for the morning and while you walk.

Ok thanks that makes sense but we are staying in a few Casa’s and Pensiones so would not always apply to us hence wondering if we can get a later collection
No, I’m afraid not. They’re not collecting from you specifically, you’re just on the route they’re collecting from. It would be like asking your regular mail delivery service to change their times to suit you.

They’ll figure out where they need to go to based on who has booked and so need the option of collecting anytime from 0800 onwards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
using Pilbeo, they are great, we have established he does not need it before 9am unless he tells us, only happened once so far, then its 8am.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.