• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag Transfer the Last Day

Excursionista

happiest when walking
Time of past OR future Camino
De VdBierzo (2004)
Pamplona-Sahagún (2021)
Is there anywhere to send bags the last day if you aren't sure where you'll be staying?

I'm considering having my pack transferred the last day because anytime I think about repeating that long walk on the pavement, I start to dread my arrival in Santiago. It also seems like a fun, celebratory luxury. I'll hopefully be able to secure a reservation the night before, but if not, is there somewhere I could plan to pick up my bag?

My Camino days seem to vary between 25 and 40km depending on how my feet feel, so it can be difficult to plan more than a day ahead.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On which Camino will you be? Do you know where you'll be the night before you arrive in Santiago de Compostela? Perhaps sending your bag to Casa Ivar would be a possibility? Or, by that time you might already know where you'll stay and they might be able to give you information on how t go about sending your pack there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These are the instructions on ho to send luggage to Ivar.
MAKE SURE TO WRITE YOUR EMAIL ON THE BOX/PACKAGE

Write on label/box:

CASA IVAR

ATT: YOUR NAME

Travesía da Universidade 1

15707 Santiago de Compostela

La Coruña

Spain

casaivar.com

On which Camino will you be? Do you know where you'll be the night before you arrive in Santiago de Compostela? Perhaps sending your bag to Casa Ivar would be a possibility? Or, by that time you might already know where you'll stay and they might be able to give you information on how t go about sending your pack there?
I'll be on the Camino francés (my post was moved to a different sub-forum).

I don't know where I'll be the night before, but I'm definitely looking to transfer rather than mail my bag, since I doubt the post office would be open in time for my departure.

As I mentioned, if I'm able to make a reservation in time, this wouldn't be an issue since I'd know where to send my pack.

These are the instructions on ho to send luggage to Ivar.
MAKE SURE TO WRITE YOUR EMAIL ON THE BOX/PACKAGE

Write on label/box:

CASA IVAR

ATT: YOUR NAME

Travesía da Universidade 1

15707 Santiago de Compostela

La Coruña

Spain

casaivar.com
These seem to be instructions for mailing a bag, which wouldn't work in my case. Or am I misunderstanding something?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We used Correos and picked up the bag at the post office. If you contact correos they can give you other options as well. They are excellent about responding to email.

I'm pretty sure you can send your pack. I think he asks for them to be wrapped, either with cellophane or put in a duffel bag. Write Ivar, he can tell you for certain - his email is at the bottom of the page that I linked to above.

Is there anywhere to send bags the last day if you aren't sure where you'll be staying?

I'm considering having my pack transferred the last day because anytime I think about repeating that long walk on the pavement, I start to dread my arrival in Santiago. It also seems like a fun, celebratory luxury. I'll hopefully be able to secure a reservation the night before, but if not, is there somewhere I could plan to pick up my bag?

My Camino days seem to vary between 25 and 40km depending on how my feet feel, so it can be difficult to plan more than a day ahead.
Oh come on! If you spend the night in just about any Albergue, Hostal or hotel within 50km of Santiago there will likely be a pile of envelopes from half a dozen transport providers in which you pay your €’s and on which you write the destination of your bag. If you don’t know where your staying just carry the damn thing and save yourself some complications. You’ll likely be having enough fun trying to find somewhere to stay even without the added fun of chasing down your pack

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don’t know where your staying just carry the damn thing and save yourself some complications. You’ll likely be having enough fun trying to find somewhere to stay even without the added fun of chasing down your pack
Yes, I certainly could carry it one more day, but I despise the pavement slog into Santiago, and at the moment, exploring the pack transfer option seems preferable to exploring the bus option. ;)

But I appreciate all input!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You’re walking into the city of Santiago. They paved it so the rain would run into the gutters and so pilgrims wouldn’t have to approach the cathedral knee deep in mud and worse. Just offer some thanks to the road builders…
Definitely thankful for all the modern conveniences! Which is why I'm exploring how I might want to take advantage of those I wasn't previously familiar with. ;)

These seem to be instructions for mailing a bag, which wouldn't work in my case. Or am I misunderstanding something?
Yep! You're right and my apologies, I see that's not a practical solution for you. I know that there are vehicles along the way that offer to transport your pack for you, but I wouldn't feel very confident doing that.
Either the place where you stay prior to your last day can help make arrangements for you, or you could contact the place where you'll stay in SDC the night before - or as you make your reservation, and they probably will be able to give you pertinent information.

I'll be on the Camino francés (my post was moved to a different sub-forum).

I don't know where I'll be the night before, but I'm definitely looking to transfer rather than mail my bag, since I doubt the post office would be open in time for my departure.

As I mentioned, if I'm able to make a reservation in time, this wouldn't be an issue since I'd know where to send my pack.
Most albergues will have the envelopes that you can use to transfer your bag ahead.

Ask in the place where you stay the night before Santiago. Perhaps ask as you check in to be sure that they can help you with this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have used Tui trans on the Camino Portugues. Usually my rucksack arrived before me. But the days I arrived into Santiago I was always there before the rucksack. This is because Santiago is at the end of the run and also there are so many different albergues and hostels and hotels to deliver to. I tell you this in order that you will not panic like I did. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.