• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag transport in November

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018 Camino Frances and March Coastal Portugues
We are currently walking and are in Santo Domingo. We originally planned to carry our backpacks, but my husband is almost 83, has become a bit stooped and he finds carrying his pack painful and difficult. (We carried our packs three years ago but three years makes a difference at our ages.)

We are using NCES and they have been good, but will finish on 31 October for this area. Evidently a partner does Sarria to Santiago in November. We will have a gap from 1 November to 11 November and need a carrier for these days. Evidently Caminofacil will quote me a ‘special rate’ but they haven’t got back to me.

I tried to communicate with Jacotrans but just got a ‘No English’ reply. I think they will still function in November, but how do people communicate with them without Spanish?

At the moment we are looking at these options - getting local taxis to take our bags, but my husband is very unwilling to do this. Trying to use Jacotrans and using Google translate to try to frame messages on their WhatsApp site each day.

Advice please….

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Teez,
Are you in Santo Domingo de la Calzada? Have you tried the Spanish postal service Correos. They cover Spain and transport bags. Use the info in their link to ask them any questions. They will respond quickly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can I just say that you are an inspiration to us “young” folks (55+) and that if I were anywhere near you I would personally show up and carry your pack for you everyday as tribute to the fact that at 83 you are still walking the Camino?!?!!! 🤯🥰🥳

I don’t have an answer, but you rock!!! Hopefully you know that and the world responds in kind to you

Can I just say that you are an inspiration to us “young” folks (55+) and that if I were anywhere near you I would personally show up and carry your pack for you everyday as tribute to the fact that at 83 you are still walking the Camino?!?!!! 🤯🥰🥳

I don’t have an answer, but you rock!!! Hopefully you know that and the world responds in kind to you
Thank you. Your response delights and encourages us!

Probably much more expensive, but you can usually arrange bag transport by taxi as your last resort. I recall that most bag transport services stop in winter except Sarria to Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Correos also stops on October 31 so they are not an option although they still function from Sarria in November.

It looks like Jacotrans still operates in November but charges more then. I need some wisdom from those who have used them either just day by day or with an email booking covering several stages. Did you ring the night before or use WhatsApp? Were you able to do it in English?

Teez,
To see other relevant recent posts type Jacotrans in the blue search box at the top left of the forum home page.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The easiest way is to take a picture of the envelop that you had already filled out the information, and then send it to the transport company by WhatsApp. They will text you back “ok”.

Correos also stops on October 31 so they are not an option although they still function from Sarria in November.

It looks like Jacotrans still operates in November but charges more then. I need some wisdom from those who have used them either just day by day or with an email booking covering several stages. Did you ring the night before or use WhatsApp? Were you able to do it in English?
In May 2018 we used Jacotrans for a few days to assist my husband through a health issue. We were nervous doing this but they were very reliable. We used Whats App and would send them a message the night before. We did it in Spanish (copy attached), just changing pickup and delivery place and date. They acknowledged as Ok and no issues. Just love bag with envelope/money in lobby morning you leave.

We used Jacotrans in May 2018 for few days to help my husband overcome medical issue. We used WhatsApp and sent message evening before in Spanish. See below. We would use same template next day just changing pickup, drop off and date. They generally acknowledged with OK. Left bag with envelope/tag and money in lobby morning of departure and bag was delivered to place we designated. No issues. Highly recommend, and would use again.

Me gustaria solicitar transporte una mochilla
Fecha: 14 de Mayo (manana)
Recognida: Ribadiso- Pension Ribadiso
Entrega: O Pedrouzo - Pension Maribel
Nombre: (insert your name)
Telefono: (insert your cell number)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just wanted to add that if you encounter anyone with passable English at any of your accomodations or meal stops, you should explain your situation and ask their advice. It may take a few tries, but you'll likely soon meet someone who will make it their mission to get your bag transfer sorted. "No English" may work on you, but it won't work on an argumentative Spaniard calling on your behalf. 😄

I used JacoTrans in September 2022 (from Sarria to Santiago). I paid for all my stages at once and entered my hotels/pensions on the envelope. I had great service. I communicated with them via the WhatsApp chat. I received my replies in English. We left our bag in the hotel lobby by 8 AM each day. They pick up shortly after 8 AM so if you are late getting the bag to the lobby, your bag may not get transported to the next location.

Teez,
Are you in Santo Domingo de la Calzada? Have you tried the Spanish postal service Correos. They cover Spain and transport bags. Use the info in their link to ask them any questions. They will respond quickly.
I tried Correos out of season and they said they could not help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have tried Jacotrans (in Spanish, translate) with a mail on my walking schedule out of Ponferrada from November 5, but I have not heard back. All others transporters appear to be closed. Because of my rusty knees, I have decided to bring my pack (which was always already ligther than 4 kg) further down. Not sleeping in albergue’s in the fall season (no sleeping bag), and buying a daypack of just 270 grams/25 liter, I aim to bring the weight of my carried pack down to less 2 kg excl water. That means only one change of cloths, all toileteries in mini-pots and every item and gram in the pack considered for its weight . This is the Exped 25 Cloudburst pack (also watertight, no need for cover):

I am on the Frances right now, and using Camino Facil. Their web site/online booking ended October 27, but I have been emailing reservations each day (contacto@caminofacil.net). They need the origin and destino albergue (with address and phone number). I ask them to email me back a confirmation. Sometimes I had to make a makeshift envelope out if a paper placemats, and write all the information on it. So far they have been charging 7 euros (cash in envelope). I use Google translate, and so far, all has worked well! We wanted to carry our packs, but my husband has not been up to it and this has allowed him to enjoy the walking.

Buen Camino! And agreed, you rock, and are a total inspiration!!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back