• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag Transport in Portugal and then switch to Correos in Spain?

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués via Variante Espiritual 2022
This year I'll be staring in Ponte de Lima so after a short while I will be passing into Spain.
I like the idea of using Correos for bag transport but I think they only operate in Spain (which would be understandable).
If that's the case should I use another carrier to move the bags in Portugal and the switch to Correos in Spain? Or would I be best to stick with one carrier throughout the journey?
The attraction of Correos is that they have good reviews and seem to be a cheaper alternative. But maybe switching carriers would be counter-productive and work out more expensive.

What have others done?

Addendum: Apologies, should have mentioned that we will be walking the Variante Espiritual which I think limits our options further.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Although I’ve never used Correos in Spain, we’ve had excellent service from Top Santiago (Portugal) and Tuitrans (Spain). I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the transport services that I know of. They all seem to have a good system of picking up and delivering bags. With the different services that we used, we did it on a day to day basis making our arrangements simply the afternoon or the night before. Worked like a charm.

Although I’ve never used Correos in Spain, we’ve had excellent service from Top Santiago (Portugal) and Tuitrans (Spain). I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the transport services that I know of. They all seem to have a good system of picking up and delivering bags. With the different services that we used, we did it on a day to day basis making our arrangements simply the afternoon or the night before. Worked like a charm.
Thanks for the quick reply, GD. So you switched from Top Santiago and Tuitrans when you left Portugal and entered Spain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not exactly. We used the two services on two different Caminos. This past spring we started with Top Santiago in Porto and carried on with them to Santiago. On an earlier Camino, due to knee problems my wife developed from the Portuguese cobblestones, we started using TuiTrans in Tui who helped us with her pack to SdC. You may also find other services advertised at the albergues/hostels where you’ll be staying. My understanding from other pilgrims is that they’ve been happy with Correos as well. Price wise, I think they’re all pretty competitive.

We are planning to use caminofacil that seems to operate in Portugal and Spain.

Tuitrans gives an excellent service. I have used them a few times.
My preference is to do business with a local firm if at all possible.
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I have hiked Camino Frances four times, every two years since our first in 2015. She developed knee pain during our first camino. Beginning in Carrion de los Condes, we used Jaco Trans to transport her backpack each stage until we arrived in Santiago. They did a great job day by day. We hiked again in 2017 with my brother and his wife. The three of them used Jacotrans. During our last two CFs, I sent Jaco trans our hiking itinerary prior to our trip. We prepaid the invoice and received a nice discount. Their service was superb each time. I am now planning to hike Camino Portuguese this fall, from Porto to Santiago. I am planning to use a backpack transport service. I wasn't sure what was the best service in Portugal. I decided to contact Jaco Trans asking if they had a partner company or one they would recommend. I was delighted to find out they offer backpack transport in Portugal, beginning in Porto! So I've already send my hiking plan, and pre-paid the invoice. Just need to laminate the hang card and I'm all set. Bob

My wife and I have hiked Camino Frances four times, every two years since our first in 2015. She developed knee pain during our first camino. Beginning in Carrion de los Condes, we used Jaco Trans to transport her backpack each stage until we arrived in Santiago. They did a great job day by day. We hiked again in 2017 with my brother and his wife. The three of them used Jacotrans. During our last two CFs, I sent Jaco trans our hiking itinerary prior to our trip. We prepaid the invoice and received a nice discount. Their service was superb each time. I am now planning to hike Camino Portuguese this fall, from Porto to Santiago. I am planning to use a backpack transport service. I wasn't sure what was the best service in Portugal. I decided to contact Jaco Trans asking if they had a partner company or one they would recommend. I was delighted to find out they offer backpack transport in Portugal, beginning in Porto! So I've already send my hiking plan, and pre-paid the invoice. Just need to laminate the hang card and I'm all set. Bob
Thanks, Bob, that’s useful info. I thought Jaco Trans we’re CF only but clearly not. I will take a look.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will be walking coastal PORTUGUÊS route starting in Porto March 12th. Are all the bag transports available at this time?

I have always used Top Santiago for my bags, they do both Portugal and Spain as well as the Espiritual route. I have never been disappointed.

We are planning to use caminofacil that seems to operate in Portugal and Spain.

Caminofacil does do both routes, including the Spiritual variante. They provide a great service, but are a little more expensive than Correos.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back