• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag transport on Camino Portugese

Patrickbean

Time of past OR future Camino
About to start Portugese
Hi
Who transport bags on the Portugese Camino (inland or coastal)
My wife had a bike accident over the weekend and broke her collar bone
It was operated on - but ahe cannot carry her bag - but wants to walk.
We are in Porto and want to start walking on Thursday
But need to send her bag ahead

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
Who transport bags on the Portugese Camino (inland or coastal)
My wife had a bike accident over the weekend and broke her collar bone
It was operated on - but ahe cannot carry her bag - but wants to walk.
We are in Porto and want to start walking on Thursday
But need to send her bag ahead
We are on the northern route and have been using a service called Paq Mochila they transport your bags from city to city along the Camino. Here is the website.
https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are about half way and have had no problem with our transport service. www.caminofacil.net. Bags picked up and always at our next place. Good luck to you and your wife with the broken wing.

I used TuiTrans for 13 pick ups and delivery on the coastal route, not one hiccup they did a great job.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ouch! That's not good news @Patrickbean. If she finds the going too hard, we are here to sympathise and reassure her that she can go back another day when she is better. Lots of us have had disappointments caused by injury only to find that things have slotted into place at a later date. The camino will still be there. And regardless of what happens - enjoy the pastel de nata!

I used TuiTrans for 13 pick ups and delivery on the coastal route, not one hiccup they did a great job.

Hi, I've looked at their website and can't see any prices unless I email them. Don't want to pester them, and this might be good info for other users of this forum. Can you give us an idea of what tuitrans costs to transfer one 15kg max piece of luggage on a day by day, stage by stage basis on Portuguese routes? Thanks in advance :)

Hi, try also Sinmochila:
https://sinmochila.es/
They transfer bags from Tui onwards at 5 euros per bag per day.

(I have never used them – I picked up their envelope one day just in case!)
Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote for Tuitrans. They were easy to deal with and service worked really well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola my Camino friends :)

I have a question. Bag transport services - is it possible to send your backpack to a public albergue? (where they (usually) don't allow reservations). If yes, do they just leave it at the door of the albergue or is there somebody at the albergue to take the backpack and puts it inside?

The thing is....I did Camino Norte + Muxia + Fisterre this year (6 weeks walk), but because I had a lot of pain in my right knee and hip, I used Correos (the last week before finishing the Camino) to transport my backpack to the next city. But I had a problem if I wanted to send it to a public albergue. They told me (that in this case) I have to pick up my backpack at some bar in that town and I was always worried....what if I didn't find that bar, what if the bar was closed that day, what if somebody might steal my backpack, etc. I also did Camino Ingles 2 months ago, but did not use the bag transport services, so I need more info.

I'm planning on doing C. Portugues (Porto - SdC) at the end of April 2019, but because I had (again) major knee and hip pain on Ingles (I know the backpack is the problem, even though I only have 6 kg with me), I wanna use bag transport services for all the etapas (13 etapas)

What is your experience??

Thank u :)

I wish u all a very Merry Christmas!

S.

I didn't use bag transport on the Portugues myself. While I had real knee problems on the Frances, I didn't have the same issues on the Portugues. But I did run across people using bag transport and you identify a real issue. Bag transport likely won't be a problem with private albergues but I did see municipal/parochial/association albergues (for example, in Rates) that re-routed bags to bars for pickup. They also generally try and steer people using bag transport to the private albergues. I have heard that they are more accepting if there is a medical reason for the bag transport, but generally, they won't know that when the bag arrives. My advice would be, when using bag transport to non-private albergues, to contact them in advance, let them know your medical reasons, and get their OK - at least in the Portuguese part of the camino.

I always called the albergue I knew was getting my backpack the next day, when I walked the Norte, just to make sure, my bag gets there safe. The problem I had with public albergues, most of the time, was, nobody picked up the phone or the e-mail was left unanswered. But I will try it again on Portuguese, thank u.
I also think, that the amount of pain I was struggling with on Ingles 2 months ago, was because of the seviour cold I was facing there. It was cold on Norte too, but not like on Ingles. If that IS the case, maybe I will be able to walk some etapas with my backpack (at least through cities where private albergues are expencive ;) ).

Thank u :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is what TuiTrans emailed me on Jan 4, 2019 about their prices: "The price per bag or suitcase (up to 15kg) and stage (up to 20km) is 7€ in Portugal and 5€ in Spain. "

Here is what TuiTrans emailed me on Jan 4, 2019 about their prices: "The price per bag or suitcase (up to 15kg) and stage (up to 20km) is 7€ in Portugal and 5€ in Spain. "

Hey :)

They texted me the same thing. It would cost 97€ for all the etapas they said. That's too much for me, so I'm going to use the transportation service only for very long etapas.

:)

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back