• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag transport with Jacotrans

amyshmn

Time of past OR future Camino
1 week Portugal route - 2016
Full French route - 2021
Hi everyone!
I’m currently on the Frances route. I’ve been transporting my bag using Jacobtrans - usually 5 euro each day - but when I arrived in Leon (from Sahagun) I discovered that Jacobtrans indicated I owed an additional 10 euros for that segment of the journey. I paid. But does anyone have any idea why that segment was 15 euro? And will I encounter that again between Villar de Mazarife and Santiago?
Thanks!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Probably a really good question to ask Jacotrans but maybe because you covered 55km in one day?
Ha! Yes, that may be their reasoning. I’m sorry amyshmn received an unexpected charge.

FYI, we spent three days walking from Sahagún to León. They were three short, easy days, but, still, 3 days! We beat our transported luggage to León, and that was less fun than we thought it would be.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree
Probably a really good question to ask Jacotrans but maybe because you covered 55km in one day?
Agree! All of the transport companies I have used either limit the distance they will cover in one day or charge an additiional fee for distances further than about the equivalent of a Brierley stage. So read the fine print when booking ahead.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've used Jacotrans and Correos on two different Caminos. Correos is far better with their online booking/rebooking system. They also have an excellent customer service team that takes you through the options. You also get a fixed price.

I had issues with Jacotrans and their response is not the best.

I've used Jacotrans and Correos on two different Caminos. Correos is far better with their online booking/rebooking system. They also have an excellent customer service team that takes you through the options. You also get a fixed price.

I like Correos better as well. However, Correos has a limit on how far they will transport walkers baggage per day…..even though you can pay a flat fee for the whole trip.

Hmmm, I Just received my bag today. I put a ten euro in the envelope because I had nothing smaller, and when my bag arrived there was no change (5 euro) in the envelope. I guess Jacotrans thought I was a big tipper?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was May in 2017.

The albergue, where I stayed, did not allow transport service delivering to or picking up backpacks from it. My backpack had to be placed in a cafe nearby. I mistakenly placed my backpack in a wrong place in the cafe, the result is no backpack when I arrived at the intended albergue.

With the help of a volunteer in the albergue contacting Jacotrans, I got my backpack back within 2 hours.

I'm thankful to the volunteer(s) and Jacotrans for excellent care and service.

Hi everyone!
I’m currently on the Frances route. I’ve been transporting my bag using Jacobtrans - usually 5 euro each day - but when I arrived in Leon (from Sahagun) I discovered that Jacobtrans indicated I owed an additional 10 euros for that segment of the journey. I paid. But does anyone have any idea why that segment was 15 euro? And will I encounter that again between Villar de Mazarife and Santiago?
Thanks!!
They charge a certain amount for a "leg" which is a usual walking day, and if you exceed that it's extra. It's all explained on their website in plain language.

A woman in one of the albergues was laughing one day about all of us wanting 5 euro notes for the transport. She said that the transporters have more 5 euro notes than anyone in the area, and that if you put a 10 euro note, they will give you change.

The one time I tested that theory, I did not get any change. So, I went back to making sure I had enough coins or a 5 euro note. Lesson learned. And I don't mind whoever got the 5 euro tip. I appreciated their service. Luggage transport was the primary reason that I was able to do the Camino Frances.

Last edited:

I switched to Correos and found it worked well.

Hi,

May I ask how you booked with Jacotrans for their service? I am thinking of doing the Camino Finisterre route. Thanks

Jay
I used Jacotans, and found them to be excellent. The envelopes are in the reception area wherever you stay. Just complete the envelope, attach to your bag with the money inside. There will be a number to call printed on the bag - either call yourself, or ask the hospitalero. Then drop your bag to reception the next morning. Super easy.

The only time I had an issue with a bag was because the hotel receptionist in Santiago moved them. Jacotrans had delivered correctly, but someone in reception forgot to tell the next shift where they were.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Jacotans, and found them to be excellent. The envelopes are in the reception area wherever you stay. Just complete the envelope, attach to your bag with the money inside. There will be a number to call printed on the bag - either call yourself, or ask the hospitalero. Then drop your bag to reception the next morning. Super easy.

The only time I had an issue with a bag was because the hotel receptionist in Santiago moved them. Jacotrans had delivered correctly, but someone in reception forgot to tell the next shift where they were.
Thanks. So you mean each time you need their service you just pre-arrange the day before?

Thanks. So you mean each time you need their service you just pre-arrange the day before?
Yes, I've never done it more than than the night before. But they get to know you, and when you ring they remember you .
(I dont book Camino accommodation in advance by more than a day)

The way it works is something like this: the company (Jacotrans or Correos) goes to establishments (hotels, albergues etc) that have pilgrim accommodation and leaves a stack of special envelopes in each one. You take an envelope, write your name and contact details and where you want your bag taken on the outside of the envelope and put the money inside then tie the envelope to your bag and leave it by the door before you set off in the morning. Ideally, ring the number on the envelope so they know you want them to take your bag and where to. Later in the day, a van calls round at each establishment and picks up all the bags that have their envelope attached, then drives off to the next town/s and delivers them to the places named on the envelope. That, at least, is the theory; simple but effective and in general, like the Mumbai tiffin service, it works.

The way it works is something like this: the company (Jacotrans or Correos) goes to establishments (hotels, albergues etc) that have pilgrim accommodation and leaves a stack of special envelopes in each one. You take an envelope, write your name and contact details and where you want your bag taken on the outside of the envelope and put the money inside then tie the envelope to your bag and leave it by the door before you set off in the morning. Ideally, ring the number on the envelope so they know you want them to take your bag and where to. Later in the day, a van calls round at each establishment and picks up all the bags that have their envelope attached, then drives off to the next town/s and delivers them to the places named on the envelope. That, at least, is the theory; simple but effective and in general, like the Mumbai tiffin service, it works.
Makes sense! Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back