• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage Carrying services between Porto and Santiago de Compostelle

Old_Soles

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese Coastal Route May 2019
Hello, there appears to be a number of companies offering a baggage carrying service for the various 'northern caminos' but I'm having difficulty finding companies which will provide this service from stop to stop on the Portugese Coastal route. Can anyone please advise us whether this service exists on this particular camino ie Porto to Santiago? Thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are also Pilbeo and Camino Facil in Portugal. We found Camino Facil to be less expensive for our trip this May, so it definitely pays to shop around. I have recently seen a service advertised on the Camino Portuguese page on Facebook. I think they’re called BackPacksUp. I don’t know much about them though.
In Spain of course there is also the Correos Service. I think the latter is the most cost effective in Spain. It’s such a shame the Portuguese Post Office don’t offer the same service. Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are also Pilbeo and Camino Facil in Portugal. We found Camino Facil to be less expensive for our trip this May, so it definitely pays to shop around. I have recently seen a service advertised on the Camino Portuguese page on Facebook. I think they’re called BackPacksUp. I don’t know much about them though.
In Spain of course there is also the Correos Service. I think the latter is the most cost effective in Spain. It’s such a shame the Portuguese Post Office don’t offer the same service. Bom Caminho!
Why a shame ? In Portugal the caminho de Santiago does not appeal to most of the Portuguese . Only the caminho de Fátima counts.so why should the Portuguese Post offer this service ? There are enough privat parties who offer this service.

Hi Albertinho.
I feel it's a shame because it is more expensive to use the private companies.

It is not more expensive to use the only services available: the cost is the cost. Correos in Spain have found a way to generate revenue and therefore sustain employment by providing the pac mochilla service. As they already had staff, vehicles and associated infrastructure in place and were under obligation to deliver mail the addition of a revenue generating service utilising the same resource was a 'no brainer' in this age of email and twitting. I suspect the Portuguese postal service will have considered offering a similar facility and calculated that the cost to revenue ratio is adverse at present because the potential market is so much smaller. There simply is not sufficient pilgrim volumes on the multiple caminho routes to make the offer viable after set-up costs. The private companies that currently offer luggage transport services in Portugal will have made the same calculations; assessed the viability risks and priced their services appropriately.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Albertinho.
I feel it's a shame because it is more expensive to use the private companies.
I agree with @Tincatinker. It can be the marketvolume that limits the interest of the Correios Português. Portuguese do not want to spend money for such a service and choose to do their pilgrimage in a different way. They walk light with small daypacks, wear trainers and walk the shortest way to their goal..most of the time to Fátima.
Most pilgrims are foreigners , most walking from Porto so from there is a broad offer of suppliers.
Once in Spain it is a different matter. Many many Spaniards walk the last 100 kms of the various caminos-from. Sarria , Tui, Ferrol etc-is good for their CV- so there will be a bigger market for services like backpack transport and the Correos offer that service...I am afraid you have to accept you have to deal with those privat parties who estimate their own tariffs.
Last time I was hospitaleiro in 2016 at Casa da Fernanda I remember Tuitrans charged 5€ per backpack to the next destination.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back