• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage Etiquette

Derek Booth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March 2019
Cam. Port. April 2024
I understand that in the middle of March I will be able to forward my rucksack onward to my next destination.
Can those on here more experienced in these matters ie. everyone! please advise me of the etiquette involved in such transactions.
As I'm in my dotage, in the middle of ratcheting up the miles in preparation for my first Camino, it will obviously be of advantage to me to do a section or three without the weight on my back. I assume that I send my pack off at the place I am staying. Here comes the question.
What happens if, when I arrive at the place I've sent my rucksack to, I feel good enough to do a few more 'clicks'. Would it be OK to collect my pack and carry on going? I don't want to cause offence by walking out with my pack should the management of the Albergue expect me to stay
I only have a specific amount of time away and to 'get in front' of schedule could be advantageous to me.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge in this matter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are many established companies providing the service. All private hostels and many hotels provide envelopes with a tyestring to secure to your backpack compliments of the company with a place to write the address of your next stop and the payment is slipped into the envelope. Most junta hostels do not provide the envelopes and in fact do not accept. The envelope will provide the name of the company and a phone number should you wish to inform them of your awaiting baggage - a good idea from hotels since not all are located on their usual route. I have only had to use this service twice due to health problems but found them very reliable and as you arrive at any hostel there are usually quite a few bags waiting for their owners. Should you not make it to your desired address, the hostel will keep the bag however they may be closed by the time you get there to pick it up next morning. I have also met a distressed pilgrim who could not remember to which hotel in Leon she had sent her backpack and spent several hours in looking for it..

Thanks for your quick reply @scruffy1 But,
How will the Hostel managers react if I arrive at their place where my bag has been delivered and walk out with it, rather than staying there?
That's the crux of my dilemma

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you pre-booking your night at these establishments? My understanding is that bags can be dropped off at known drop off points in a town or village, then the pilgrim, upon arrival, can ask to stay there or, as I've understood to happen, can take his bag and go elsewhere. I don't know how the establishment feels about this practice, but I believe it is done. Hopefully, others can contribute here.

@Derek Booth, I've just re-read your OP and believe I more fully understand your dilemma. You will be ostensibly booking a room in an establishment where you will have your pack delivered, but you want (quite understandably) the option of continuing on should you feel able to on a particular day, and you wonder how said establishment would react. I don't know the answer to that but it is very considerate of you to inquire.

I don't know of any rules but this should work if you haven't made a reservation. Buy a bottle of wine and give it and a "Lo siento" to the hospitalero. If there is a further need of conversation perhaps the easiest way to go is with a white lie. "Tengo amigos en [name of next town]."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have never seen this case, but...
As a rule, baggage carriers demand that you have a reservation in the destination point.
So, do you really plan to go to the albergue or hostal, pick up your backpack and tell the hospitalero or manager "I changed my mind, I am cancelling my reservation?" Oh, man...You probably will need some explanation, and withstand some very annoyed stares.
As feasible, I suppose it is. But quite uncomfortable, too.
I'd try to explain the situation to the hospitalero in the departing point, or to the guy of the baggage service. In many towns there is not a company, but a taxi driver that is moonlighting as baggage carrier. They could suggest an alternative.

Last edited:
Are you pre-booking your night at these establishments? My understanding is that bags can be dropped off at known drop off points in a town or village, then the pilgrim, upon arrival, can ask to stay there or, as I've understood to happen, can take his bag and go elsewhere. I don't know how the establishment feels about this practice, but I believe it is done. Hopefully, others can contribute here.

As I'm walking in March, it was not my intention to book any beds for the night. Having said that, I have identified Albergues that, because of various reasons, where I may stay.

As per my original post, if I've still got something in the tank (so to speak) when I get to my original destination, would the albergue management be 'put out'.

I have no desire to cause any upset, and, as don't speak Spanish I am not in a position to explain my good intentions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a rule, baggage carriers demand that you have a reservation in the destination point.
@Felipe, are you sure this is the case? Because it didn't appear to be so when I walked in 2013. I think just a delivery address is required. In fact, once my delivery address was to an albergue, for which I did not have a reservation, but which I learned later that day did not accept 'deliveries.' Upon arrival at the village I was directed to the one albergue in that village that did accept deliveries and I found my pack there, and I ended up staying at that albergue. And I am fairly certain that not everyone whose pack that was delivered there that day stayed there that night.

Since the OP said he will be walking in March I wonder how necessary it will be to pre-book accommodation.

I like @Rick of Rick and Peg's suggestion of spending a bit of dinero at the establishment, then moving on if that is what is desired - with no pre-booking, of course.

I have used these services twice. Both times, it was organized by hospitaleros and a reservation to the albergue in the destination point was demanded. On the other hand, the carrier was just a local taxi driver, so maybe big (of sorts) companies have other policies.
As you know, in Spain "hablando se entiende la gente" (blandly translated: "the best way to understand one another is by talking to each other"). That means that many rules are negotiable. But also, people can be frank almost to the point ot rudeness when they feel there is an inconvenient behavior. So, I always try to be very, very polite...

I have used these services twice. Both times, it was organized by hospitaleros and a reservation to the albergue in the destination point was demanded. On the other hand, the carrier was just a local taxi driver, so maybe big (of sorts) companies have other policies.
As you know, in Spain "hablando se entiende la gente" (blandly translated: "the best way to understand one another is by talking to each other"). That means that many rules are negotiable. But also, people can be frank almost to the point ot rudeness when they feel there is an inconvenient behavior. So, I always try to be very, very polite...

On occasion, I have transported my bag to an establishment without a reservation and arrived there to find that they do not have a bed for me. I picked up the bag and moved on elsewhere. Transporting a bag to an establishment does not guarantee a bed for you. I have never filled out a form for Jacotrans or whatever and had anyone demand that I have a reservation. As you are usually not there when they pick up the bag'; how would they know if you have a reservation or not. Usually I would fill out the form, attach it to my bag and ask where to leave it. That was the sum total of the hospitalero's involvement.

If you are moving to an albergue that does not accept transporters, then your bag will be at a nearby cafe or bar. I would then spend something at the bar and move on to the accommodation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah yes, I can quite understand if the arrangement is made through the hospitalero a booking for the night is necessary, and to pick up one's bag at the drop off point and continue on (unless one pays for the night's lodging) would be most awkward, rude and inconsiderate. However, I don't think it is necessary to involve the hospitalero in the pack-forwarding process. I believe Jacotrans - I'm speaking of the CF as that's where I walked - leaves their envelopes and tags at the albergue reception for use by pilgrims. The pilgrims can phone Jacotrans themselves, put their money in the envelope with the forwarding address, and leave their packs with firmly attached envelopes at the front of the albergue (or wherever the hospitalero may advise) for pick up by Jacotrans. In fact Jacotrans, upon delivery of your pack, will leave an empty envelope for your use the next time. As I said, I am speaking of Jacotrans here on the CF; I don't know about those routes where the transportation is done by individual operators. That might be something else entirely.

Could it be that an albergue would accept delivery of someone's pack in the hope that, upon arrival, the pilgrim will want to stay the night there.

You might have to pay for a bed that you won't use in the albergue where you made the reservation.
Yes I did that to a hospeterio from an albergue in Castrojeriz. He charged me €6 for storage. He was quite upset, but I found the most wonderful hostal "Rosalia" in town. I've stayed there twice now. Love

As far as I know it's not the transporter who insists that you have a booking at the place you want your bag delivered to, it's the accommodation itself. Or if no one is insisting as such, it is the done thing - you book, then you forward your luggage. I think many will object to their establishment being used as a storage facility for someone who isn't even staying there ... also the transporter would not be happy to be told he can't drop it there. That said I have never seen anyone at the receiving end checking the labels, I just think I would be miffed if someone came to pick a bag up and left. What you're suggesting is the best of both worlds, the flexibility of carrying your pack and the ease of having it transported. My tip would be to ask the hospitaler@ where you are staying the night before if there is somewhere you can have it delivered without a booking, they normally know the albergues/hostales on the next stage. And yes, explain, chat, be polite and all will be well.

I think the answer may lie in whether you stay in (or send to) larger well known albergues en the major CF route, or chose to send to more bespoke or independent accommodation off the beaten track.
I have sent my pack from standard well known alburgue to standard alburgue, and even the occasional hostale without ever making a reservation and somehow the bag just magically gets picked up and arrives.
If you choose to stay At more bespoke accommodation off the beaten track the standard couriers may not know to pick up or drop off off your pack unless you pre-book on line prior, this could be especially problematic if your chosen drop off accommodation was not on the courriers daily run.
If you stick to the major alburgues you won’t have an issue with either collection, drop off or even collecting and then walking further on to another establishment should you desire as the courier was going there anyway.

I would politely suggest that you put your 'big boy (or girl)' pants on and honor commitments you make regarding lodging reservations and / or baggage / backpack transport. If you send your pack ahead to a place of accommodation, stay there. IMHO, jilting the innkeeper in this manner spoils it for others coming behind you. We, none of us, do not need that.

Even though you send you main pack ahead, you should be carrying a smaller, day bag, with water snacks, first aid, raingear and ALL your valuables and personal medication.

The mochila / pack transport system works VERY well along the major Camino routes. I suggest that everyone simply follow the established rules and conditions and not try to wreck this convenient system, for others.

Hope this helps.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would politely suggest that you put your 'big boy (or girl)' pants on and honor commitments you make regarding lodging reservations and / or baggage / backpack transport. If you send your pack ahead to a place of accommodation, stay there. IMHO, jilting the innkeeper in this manner spoils it for others coming behind you. We, none of us, do not need that.

Even though you send you main pack ahead, you should be carrying a smaller, day bag, with water snacks, first aid, raingear and ALL your valuables and personal medication.

The mochila / pack transport system works VERY well along the major Camino routes. I suggest that everyone simply follow the established rules and conditions and not try to wreck this convenient system, for others.

Hope this helps.
When I walked the Frances I walked with 2 different people who had the Albergue become very upset when they said they were not stay where their bag was sent. One of them demand payment for the bag as storage fee. I also helped someone search the town for their bag because they had sent it to a place that didn’t take bags. In this case it was in a line of bags st the local bar in town.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That was the point I was trying to make. If too many people do this without really good cause, it is going to ruin the practice for others in future.

PLEASE, think ahead, pay it forward, do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

If you send the bag, you are saying, I am staying there. If you do this, DO IT. Please, for the good of all who follow.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ah yes, I can quite understand if the arrangement is made through the hospitalero a booking for the night is necessary, and to pick up one's bag at the drop off point and continue on (unless one pays for the night's lodging) would be most awkward, rude and inconsiderate. However, I don't think it is necessary to involve the hospitalero in the pack-forwarding process. I believe Jacotrans - I'm speaking of the CF as that's where I walked - leaves their envelopes and tags at the albergue reception for use by pilgrims. The pilgrims can phone Jacotrans themselves, put their money in the envelope with the forwarding address, and leave their packs with firmly attached envelopes at the front of the albergue (or wherever the hospitalero may advise) for pick up by Jacotrans. In fact Jacotrans, upon delivery of your pack, will leave an empty envelope for your use the next time. As I said, I am speaking of Jacotrans here on the CF; I don't know about those routes where the transportation is done by individual operators. That might be something else entirely.

Could it be that an albergue would accept delivery of someone's pack in the hope that, upon arrival, the pilgrim will want to stay the night there.

I used Jacotrans in Spain, and also OsCorreos (the post office), which was a bit cheaper as I recall. Process was as above for both services. I found it very easy, and that it made my Caminos so much more pleasant. One time I had booked at a huge Municipal but my bag was left at a cafe, and it seemed everyone in the wee village was looking out to see that I found it. In Portugal, it is Tuitrans, or Caminofacil.

Last edited:
This is a really good question and I'd agree that it would be rude not to stay somewhere you've sent your bag to. I only sent my bag ahead twice (medical reasons) and in each case I used Jacotrans, didn't have a reservation, but intended and DID stay at the places I forwarded my bag. I walked with pilgrims who also forwarded their bags whom may have continued on but I didn't hear about how they went about it. I'd suggest asking locals as there might be a known 'public' bag forwarding location - some of the more established hospitaleros often have a lot of knowledge about the Camino in their area. :)

I am a hospitalera.
How your host feels about keeping your baggage depends a lot on what kind of establishment you are sending your luggage to. If it is a busy, privately owned commercial place with an established trade with the bag service, they are probably used to this. The hostal in my town is a handy "dropping-off and pickup point" for all kinds of parcels, not just pilgrim packs.
If it is a donativo albergue with a volunteer host, he might not appreciate having to stow a bag for someone who doesn't intend to stay. Some donativos, municipals, and parish albergues will not accept backpacks sent ahead, for a variety of reasons.
At my house we do not accept bags sent via luggage services.

Just decide day by day how far you want to walk the next day then once you decide you can arrange for your bag to be transported to that albergue. After you have booked of course. Or speak to the transport company. In October I saw someone agree to have it dropped off and picked up at a bar. However this could have been a special arrangement

I have spoke with hospitalero's at private albergues who have told me of their annoyance at pilgrims who make reservations and then are no-show's without letting the hospitalero know in advance. The hospitalero's told me quite often they turn away other pilgrims they did not have to thinking the albergue was fully booked in advance. So now you have a pilgrim without a bed who had to move on and may or may not have found one, and a private albergue with an empty, wasted one for the night.

I have been a hospitalero twice, once at a parochial alberge who did not accept baga and once at a private albergue that did accept. On my last camino (age 84) I often used the bag forwarding service.
There are 2 issues here
1 The forwarding of a bag does not imply that the destination will reserve a bed for you. That has to be booked ahead if you wish to stay there. If the albergue does not accept bags the courier will leave it at a nearby albergue or hotel and you will have to request this location from the destination where you addressed your bag. I found Correos to be the cheapest and they are all very reliable.
2 I found that any albergue that does not accept bookings will not accept forwarded bags. As far as I know, all private albergues that accept bookings will accept bags. If you send your bag to a private albergue but do not stay the night there because you wish to walk future, have a polite conversation with the hospitalero to explain. I think he would be within his moral right to ask for some money, even up to the cost of a bed. If the camino is very busy the hospitalero might just say ok. To offer him/her a cheap bottle of wine would be an insult.
Those are my humble opinions
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back