• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

baggage on a cart?

henmajvik

Has anyone got any experience about walking the Camino with your equipment on a small cart which you pull from a padded hip-belt? If you get one balanced well enough and one with wheels that roll easily it should be a good way to ease the load on yorself for most of the way. Of course there are some parts where the track is stony and where a cart would not be the best thing, but I think it could be a way of reducing the wear and tear on your knees on a big part of the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Carts and wagons and wheelie-bags are an ongoing parade, at least on the Frances. Some of them are fabulous inventions. I oughtta start shooting pictures for a coffee-table book (for a somewhat arcane and limited audience, I imagine..)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I coincided with a German couple who were walking in the south of France and some of Spain last year using a cart. I think they found it a practical way of coping with some back problem issues. The man also carried a spare tube etc and a puncture repair kit which I did see him using. But it was one extra thing to clean the mud off in some of the conditions we walked in as we approached the Pyrenees!
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here's a pic of a pilgrim pulling a cart...

Attachments

• IMG_0989 pilgrim pulling pack (Small).JPG
    IMG_0989 pilgrim pulling pack (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 688
We saw a Scandinavian couple in El Acebo with a small year old child in a cart with a harness attached to the father who pulled it along. The comment from my sister-in-law was that she hoped that the baby didn't suffer from motion sickness, as it swayed to and fro! Anyway the child seemed happy enough!
We also saw a man (German)? pulling a homemade attraption, which honoustly didn't look like it would make it all the way to Santiago -( we were about 3 weeks walk away then).
Anne

One of the dozens of pilgrims Rob Ward describes in his camino book (All the good Pilgrims) is a woman who walked from France with a buggy.
It must be jolly difficult son some of the muddy, stony, rutted paths but many seem to manage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought I posted on this yesterday but don't see it.

We saw a few people attempting to walk with various types of carts.
All seemed to me to be more trouble than they were worth.
The trails can be steep, rough, pitted, rocky, muddy and anywhere from extremely narrow to being forced to walk on VERY busy roadways which aren't wide enough for a human, much less a cart!

I personally would not attempt it... but I guess some are successful.
Maybe I"m a wimp :)

You might want to read Walk to Jerusalem by Gerard Hughes. Fr Gerry walks from Scotland to Jerusalem (or at least most of the way) with a handcart. It's an extremely good book about a particular pilgrimage. My reflection from it in terms of carts vs rucksacks is to go for a rucksack if possible!

Andy

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.