• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage Transfer Service: What to Expect on the Frances Route

zbethz

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on using a baggage transfer service on the Frances route daily, as I have bad knees. For those who have used one previously, could you give me an estimate of the average time of day one can expect their bag to arrive? I'm wondering how long I might be waiting if I arrive at my destination by 1pm or so. I figured I'd go with Jacotrans as it seems to be well recommended. Any info greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My experience with Jacotrans is they are super efficient with their pick up and delivery service. Some stages better than other, I suspect, but they pick up most bag by 9h and usually drop it off by 11h. Their service seems to be based on the regions they serve and there are many times I have seen their van speed past me while I was walking on the Camino. I have never used another serivce and the few times had to resort to Jacotrans was when I was dealing with an issue with the nerve damage in my foot

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tried Correos twice, for some part of the Frances from Logroño to Leon and on weekdays on Camino the Invierno. No problems , bag was always there when I arrived. Cannot say it was before 1 o’clock though, since I am a slow walker. I could change address by mail the night before if needed.
From a security point of view, with Correos, insurance is your business, do not know about that on other companies, so I would never send things I would not afford to loose, only exstras that I can manage without if my bag disappears.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To cross the Pyrenees, I used Express Bourricot from SJPP to Roncesvalles, stopping overnight at Orisson. From time to time on the Frances, I used Jacotrans when I faced a longish day. Both were very efficient.

I also recommend Jacotrans for two reasons:

1. A long story short: It remediated a "trouble" created by myself promptly and no question asked. (credits also go to the volunteer in the albergue where I stayed.)

2. To support small businesses.

Note: In 2017, luggage transfer fees were not the same for all stages. Some stages were 7 euros, some stages were 5.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I have hiked Camino Frances four times, from St Jean to Santiago. Express Bourricot is the primary service from St Jean to Roncesvalles, then it's Jaco Trans the rest of the way to Santiago. Due to my wife's knee pain, we started using Jaco Trans at Carrion de los Condes during our first camino. My wife has used Jaco Trans for our three other caminos. I decided to join her this year as I did not need to convince myself or anyone else I can carry my backpack the entire camino. Jaco trans service is superb! And for our last two caminos, we reserved their service in advance with a simple email noting the date, origin town and albergue, and destination town and albergue. We agreed to pay in advance and Jacotrans gave us a 25% discount! During our Sept-Oct camino we had a mixup on which albergue we were staying at. I simply sent Juanjo at Jacotrans an email with the correct albergue and he confirmed back they'd make the adjustment. I will certainly use Jacotrans during our next and all future caminos ! Bob

I walked last year on CF and used Jacotrans and Correos. Both worked well. Jacotrans was willing to pick up and deliver to more locations, like apartments, etc. Correos will only go to albergues and hotels. I recommend adding a smart gps tag to your bag and you are able to track the location. This came in handy a few different times when our bag was not delivered correctly, only happened with Correos. Apple and Samsung make great ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning on using a baggage transfer service on the Frances route daily, as I have bad knees. For those who have used one previously, could you give me an estimate of the average time of day one can expect their bag to arrive? I'm wondering how long I might be waiting if I arrive at my destination by 1pm or so. I figured I'd go with Jacotrans as it seems to be well recommended. Any info greatly appreciated.
We've used Jacotrans 3 different years and the service was good every time. Bags are almost always delivered by 1pm. Should be no problem.

the bags have usually arrived by the time the albergue opens. All the transport companies are good.

I walked last year on CF and used Jacotrans and Correos. Both worked well. Jacotrans was willing to pick up and deliver to more locations, like apartments, etc. Correos will only go to albergues and hotels. I recommend adding a smart gps tag to your bag and you are able to track the location. This came in handy a few different times when our bag was not delivered correctly, only happened with Correos. Apple and Samsung make great ones.
Oh oh. I have booked Correos for June/July and i have one apartment booked! I didn’t know they didn’t deliver to apartments! I’ll have to arrange something with them I guess.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used either of the two main transfer companies occasionally while walking the CF last September. It worked out fine, with delivery always before noon—until the day my backpack didn't get picked up at all in Leon and I got to Mazarife with only the few items in my fanny pack, and hostel hosts who had more important things to do than assist me. (Unfortunately, I don't remember which of the companies let me down that day.) However, I talked with a fellow peregrino later who was using a baggage service every day and had arranged to text it every morning to remind it to pick up the packs of himself and his companions. I suggest you do the same. -Marty

Our favourite company was Camino Facil. We used JacoTrans the first time around. Bags are usually there by noon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh oh. I have booked Correos for June/July and i have one apartment booked! I didn’t know they didn’t deliver to apartments! I’ll have to arrange something with them I guess.
If the apartment or AirBNB you have booked is on their list it will get there. We used Correos on our walk in the autumn and they delivered to all of the places we found on AirBNB and Booking.com.

We used Correos for our trip in the autumn. They delivered to all of the places we had chosen with booking.com and AirBNB. We booked the whole CF with them ahead of time, with the cost being about 4-5 euro per bag per day. The destination just had to be put in by the evening before. Our bags were always at our destination when we arrived. They promise delivery by about 2 pm, but for us it never was that late. We were very satisfied customers. The extension to Fisterra was about 7 euro per bag as there were not as many pilgrims to spread the cost of the service around.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have used Correos 4 times and never had a problem. Even when I called there was always someone who spoke English. The one time My tag had the wrong destination from what I put in online they called to clarify. I booked ahead so I was able to book my transfer ahead of time online and it was about 4-5€ a day. My bag was never later than 2pm. I have an iPhone and I bought an Apple tracker and put in my bag and always knew where my bag was. Best $20 I ever spent.

I have used Correos 4 times and never had a problem. Even when I called there was always someone who spoke English. The one time My tag had the wrong destination from what I put in online they called to clarify. I booked ahead so I was able to book my transfer ahead of time online and it was about 4-5€ a day. My bag was never later than 2pm. I have an iPhone and I bought an Apple tracker and put in my bag and always knew where my bag was. Best $20 I ever spent.
I’ve booked Correos and got the card to attach to bag. I printed 5 times and filled out every day. Then i got them laminated. Where do i fill out online???

I’ve booked Correos and got the card to attach to bag. I printed 5 times and filled out every day. Then i got them laminated. Where do i fill out online???
I sent them a mail with a list and and also used mail if I had to change place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That sounds perfect. Thank you!

I would use the service the alburge recommended. My routine when using transfer service: Call destination and make sure they are open and have a bed. Grab a transfer service envelop and complete it. Call transfer service and confirm pickup and drop off. And most important, take picture of completed envelop with attached pack. It is so easy, as you walk, to not be sure where you planned on staying.

I have used, Correos, Caminofacil and Jacotrans over the years.

Here is what I experienced. All of them a good job getting The bags to the delivery location.

Correos, is the cheapest and charges a flat fee from different locationns, i.e. Roncevalles, or Leon, or Sarria to Santiago. This is advantageous, particularly if you walk shorter distances. I have never used an accommodation on the Camino that they wouldn’t deliver to. If you pay the flat fee in advance and computerize your schedule in advance, they will allow you to change the scheduleup to the night people you arrive at that Destination with no charge for the change.

CAMINOFACIL also allows changes up to the night before but charged us a change fee €5 for each change! Not Sure if they still do so?

JACOTRANS did not delver to certain places….not sure what the problem was…so we had to br8ng the bag to a bar nearby a couple of time which was inconvenient when we wanted to leave early and the bars weren’t open yet.

My first choice is definitely correos followed by Caminofacil.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used Camino Facil last September/October and they were great. The bags were always there and you can book online.

I used Caminofacil last September and they were great. The bags were always there and you can pre-book online.

Jacko is great. I have walked five Caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.