• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage transfer on the Via de la Plata

martind

I am intending to walk the Via de la Plata next year, but have a weak back and would like to arrange for my baggage to be transferred each day. This is possible on some other pilgrim routes, but is there any organisation for baggage transfer on the Via de la Plata?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been on the vdlp 3 times and never seen baggage transfer offered. I did see it offered and operating from Le Puy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many pilgrims on the Camino Frances use the local taxi services to have their baggage transported from one hotel to the next. Most pilgrim shelters don't accept pilgrims who use vehicle back up services but many of the new, private shelters don't mind. Perhaps you could try this on the vdlp? Even if your bag is transported 2 or 3 stages ahead you could then walk with a light day pack containing essentials only.

Sil - that was in my mind but I wonder about costs. Taxis cost approximately 1 euro per kilometer so on average that would add 25 euros per day on to the costs. The other problem is that some of the vilages are in remote areas where it is a major exercise to get a taxi - but of course if these can be overcome it is perfectly feasible :)

So if baggage transfer turns out to be unlikely on the VDLP, the option is pack extremely light with only the bare necessities using an ultra-light pack - you can keep <5K if you really try. This will be quite easy on your back.

lynne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We were able to send our luggage on each day for a cost of 3E each. We had prebooked our hotels and this I believe is the key. At each hotel, they gave us a luggage label to address to the next hotel. This system was very efficient and we found our bags had been stored very securely. A great service.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Margot ,
We ( My hubby and I) plan to walk the Via de la Plata in April /May 2010. We are interested in baggage transfer and pre-booking of hotels. How did you do this?
Louise

Margot

Unlike the Camino Frances there is no established luggage transfer system on the Via de la Plata. It will have to be organised by requesting each hotel you stay in to call a taxi to take your luggage forward to the next place - or as Lynn suggested perhaps two or three stages forward so you can walk with light day packs. There aren't hotels everywhere along the Via de la Plata and sometimes accommodation has to be in very small hostales or indeed albergues. But it is perfectly possible to do with careful planning. I'd advise you to consult Frank in the Camino Travel Centre and discuss your itinerary and needs with him.

http://www.caminotravelcenter.com/

Let us know how you get on please.

John

You can plan your daily stages using the Godesalco website planner:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/plata

* How to use the http://www.godesalco.com/plan website to plan your daily schedule:

Once connected to the site click on English
Click on the route you are doing – Via de la Plata
Click on the circle to the left of the town where you are starting, eg: Seville
Scroll down to the town where you will finish, Santiago, and click on the right circle.
You can write your name in the space provided, then click on SEND THIS FORM

In the new page, the mileage between each village and town will be displayed. Click on each place where you would like to stay. If you are planning on walking 20km per day, click on the town closest to the 20km distance displayed to the left of the town.
Eg: Seville is ticked. Click on Guillena – 22,8km will be displayed.
Then click on Castilblanco de los Arroyos and 17.8km will be displayed.
Continue choosing your overnight stops until you have reached Santiago.
Enter the dates of your pilgrimage in the space provided at the bottom of the page.
Click on SEND THIS FORM
The next window will offer you different documents to download with your daily schedule, profile of the route etc.
Tip: Only use the 'Go Back' facility on the webpage. If you click on the BACK arrow you will lose the pages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The helpful LindaMar owners write: "I'm sure we can arrange for your rucksacks to be taken to Carnaveral and dropped off at hostal Malaga. It is our local village so if we aren't going for things for the hotel I'm sure someone will be."

Martin

I am intending to walk the Via de la Plata next year, but have a weak back and would like to arrange for my baggage to be transferred each day. This is possible on some other pilgrim routes, but is there any organisation for baggage transfer on the Via de la Plata?

Wondering if anyone has any current information about baggage services from Ourense to Santiago?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back