• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage transfer

rhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy October 2015
Hi all,
I begin my chemin on Tuesday in Le Puy en Velay, and with about 3 weeks set aside for walking that means I'm aiming to finish in Moissac. Plus by that time it'll be getting pretty cold and it seems most gites etc will be closing for winter.
It seems I've packed a little more than I should sensibly carry (including my SLR camera, and a few extra layers of clothing as I tend to really feel the cold). Though I haven't been able to access a set of scales to check, my guess is it's about 7-8kg without water.
Therefore, I'm hoping to shave off a few kgs, and have this excess transported directly to Moissac to collect it after my walk. On searching all of the baggage transport websites that have been listed in this forum, it seems they only do stage by stage transport. I don't need my entire pack transported daily (and don't want to pay for that either!). Do you know any companies or methods to have a small bag taken straight to Moissac, or otherwise in 2-3 stages total?
Thanks for your expertise
:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I suggest you contact Ron at Gite Ultreia in Moissac - the email will be in MMD. See if you can post a parcel directly to him.

Can't tell where you are or how you're traveling to and from the chemin, but I'm note that I've left a bag at a Paris hotel for a month while hiking. Requires staying at the same hotel before and after hiking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kitsambler- that's a wonderful idea. I'll send him an email right now.
Bill- I actually arrived in Le Puy this evening having already left a fair amount of stuff in Paris this morning (I live in Australia, but have just come to France after working in NYC for a month- hence the difficulties in packing and logistics). I thought about leaving a few things here at my Le Puy accommodation, but it would be much too difficult to return from Moissac to Le Puy.

Please let us know what you find out. I think shipping by post is quite expensive. The folks who transfer luggage are missing a market if they can't figure out how to move something multiple etapes....though I suppose as we enter low season they may be making fewer trips overall.

Kitsambler- that's a wonderful idea. I'll send him an email right now.
Bill- I actually arrived in Le Puy this evening having already left a fair amount of stuff in Paris this morning (I live in Australia, but have just come to France after working in NYC for a month- hence the difficulties in packing and logistics). I thought about leaving a few things here at my Le Puy accommodation, but it would be much too difficult to return from Moissac to Le Puy.

I agree with Kitsambler - the Irish owners of Gite Ultreia in Moissac are lovely and should hopefully accommodate your plans. I posted my rucksack cover ahead to SJPdeP on my camino and a "care package" to Ultreia in Moissac and that worked out perfectly. Hope it works out for you too! I assume you are already departed though given its Tuesday and you were in Le Puy on Sunday? Bon chemin!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

The baggage transport company I asked (La Malle Postal) in Le Puy would only go as far as Conques, and wanted 50euro for that distance for my 2.5kg package! Agreed- maybe it's more expensive because of the low season, but I think there's a market for longer distance bag transport.
Normal post service was 13euro all the way to Moissac (and the box said it was the same price for up to a 5kg package).
So, posted ahead to Rom at Gite Ultreia in Moissac who via email said he'd be happy to receive it, as you've mentioned above.
Thanks again for the advice. I'm in Monistrol at the moment having a lovely, sunny, gentle start to my chemin
:)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just use the French mail. We found their services exceptional and cheap. Many post offices have packing boxes. We sent several packages of excess gear to SJPDP and paid no more than 12 or 13 euros a time.

Yes, @Anniesantiago - there are a couple listed in the Miam Miam DoDo guide. Mine is out of date but I presume this year's guide also includes them - sometimes a bit hard to find because they are not in one place but scattered through the pages - some only do certain sections of the walk. The guide also lists local taxi services which is helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I recall, there is baggage transport available for the entire length from Le Puy to SJPP. Different companies cover different segments, and some over lap so a few segments are served by more than one company. But there is coverage tip to tail -- that's how the French expect to walk, so I'm sure someone provides service.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back