• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bamboo socks

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have recently been wearing Bamboo socks on my local walks. I wonder if anyone has walked the Camino in them? I have found them very comfortable but wonder if they will hold up for an entire Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have recently been wearing Bamboo socks on my local walks. I wonder if anyone has walked the Camino in them? I have found them very comfortable but wonder if they will hold up for an entire Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Whatever socks you use, start with brand new socks when you go, I brought some quality socks that I used for a while before I left, they were trashed by end of my Camino.

I had never heard of bamboo socks, Joe you are quite up on latest trends. A little searching led me to this article, which explains their benefits,

http://blog.ettitude.com/buy-bamboo-socks/

For starters, bamboo socks, according to this article: "feel soft against the skin, are more breathable, repel odors and are equipped with antibacterial properties." Sounds like they have magical properties. Later in the article it says they are almost indestructible as well.

Do any of the major hiking socks manufacturers make a bamboo sock? Sounds like it might be worth a try, or at least a conversation starter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Whatever socks you use, start with brand new socks when you go, I brought some quality socks that I used for a while before I left, they were trashed by end of my Camino.
I never take socks that are absolutely brand new. I like to have worn and washed them a few times before a big trip just to make sure they aren't going to cause any problems for my feet.

I had never heard of bamboo socks, Joe you are quite up on latest trends. A little searching led me to this article, which explains their benefits,

http://blog.ettitude.com/buy-bamboo-socks/

For starters, bamboo socks, according to this article: "feel soft against the skin, are more breathable, repel odors and are equipped with antibacterial properties." Sounds like they have magical properties. Later in the article it says they are almost indestructible as well.

Do any of the major hiking socks manufacturers make a bamboo sock? Sounds like it might be worth a try, or at least a conversation starter.

Laurie:

The ones I have been wearing are made by Puma. They are really comfortable. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience walking in them for a month at a time.

Joe

Bamboo makes the most fantastic teeshirts (didn't know about the socks so thank for the headsup on that one) they are lovely and silky to wear, hardwearing and don't get as 'pongy' as cotton ones can get when you're carrying a pack. In addition they are much 'greener' than cotton which is a hungry feeder and can be a b$**%r to harvest. The only reason I know this is that my nephew, who works for Unicef in S

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Laurie:

The ones I have been wearing are made by Puma. They are really comfortable. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience walking in them for a month at a time.

Joe

Hi Joe.
I've no experience with bamboo socks (didn't know they made them so thanks for the heads up) but I do have some super bamboo teeshirts. They are beautifully silky to wear, very hardwearing and far less 'pongy' than cotton but without that weird smell of some of the technical fabrics.
So the socks could be a winner! Bamboo is also much 'greener' than cotton which is a very hungry feeder and a b%XX@r to harvest.
The only reason I know about them is that my nephew got me some for Christmas-he has worn nothing else for the last 6 years when working in the Congo and Somalia and swears by them.
Guess you'll have to be our little lab rat on the bamboo socks front? (I'm very fond of lab rats by the way!:))

Last edited:
I used bamboo nappies/diapers for some of my kids for all the reasons cited above. It would seem that the easy-to-grow-and-harvest claim is the only reliable one. My cotton nappies never got ponky - the bamboo ones did, and so did the bamboo washcloths I crocheted. They also take much longer to dry. The only nappy rash I had to contend with came when using bamboo!
Despite all this I bought some bamboo yarn and knit myself a pair of socks. Yes, they are soft, but they don't hold their shape well (it's not just my kitting - all my wool socks are fine). They take an impossibly long time to dry and they are the only socks I get sweaty feet in so I'm not convinced about the claim for breathability.
I'll be sticking with wicking toe socks and handknit wool ones on top.

Nell:

I do not mind being a lab rat^^. The socks I have been wearing are made by Puma. They are very soft/comfortable. I will give them a shot on longer walks. I will also experiment with washing by hand and see how long they take to dry. I currently use Smartwool socks. They are very hot and do not dry very fast.

Still hoping to get some feedback from someone who has walked a Camino in them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm anxious to hear about your experience. I have bamboo sheets and they are the best I've ever slept on, so maybe???? socks??

I tried bamboo socks but only for an office work situation and walking around town. When I took my shoes at the end of the day off I have never seen so much liquid sloshing around my feet. I had bought a pack of three pairs and after two days trial they were consigned to the rubbish bin.
Bamboo...eco friendly... moisture wicking
Rubbish, even cotton is better, and that's saying something.
Regds
Gerard

I took one pair of bamboo socks on my Portuguese camino, and I loved them, they were so comfortable. I was devastated when I realized I'd left them behind one morning. I have bought two more pairs for my next camino. Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked 2 caminos this past 16 months for 1800 kilometers with bamboo tee shirts and bamboo socks, they are very comfortable, easy wearing and soft. The colour of my tee shirts has faded a little bit, but my bamboo socks are still in perfect condition. I believe i bought them in either lidl or aldi. And i was lucky enough not to have any blisters or foot ailments.

I failed to mention my bamboo socks has a liner inside the sock. It is awkward to dry, you will have to turn them inside out to dry both sides.

I would gladly recommend this type of socks for the camino walk.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Ummm,
So it's a soggy footed thumbs down for bamboo socks from Rachael and Gerard (who tested them in their regular living/working environments I think?-mind you with lots of kids Rachael probably racks up more kms on a daily basis than most walking pilgrims!) but a soft and comfy thumbs up from Jill and Piogaw who wore them on a total of 3 Caminos. Joe looks like your evaluation is going to cast the deciding vote-no pressure;)
I'm wondering if such extreme and noticeable sweating as experience by R and G was caused by some kind of allergic response to the material and therefore, as with most things, it's going to be a case of 'suck it and see' (or wear it and sweat!) on an individual basis.
But I'll still wait for Joe's results before investing in a pair to gauge myself:).

I have a pair of bamboo socks which I have worn a couple of times on the Camino Ingles and for a couple of weeks this year on the VDLP when it was really cold and wet, and they were ideal, they wash and wear well. Mine do not have a liner like Pio's, I think they are made by Bridgedale and are quite lightweight but comfortable.
Liz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I looked for bamboo socks online and found a few different kinds that were blends of materials including bamboo. I think calling then 'bamboo' socks is more a marketing tactic than a manufacturing truth. Perhaps the disparity in the results found by those who have tried 'bamboo' socks is due to the differing blends if materials and construction of the overall sock, rather than bamboo per se.

Nell:

My experience so far has been wearing them (Bamboo socks) for whatever my daily routine is and golfing. I have found them to be very comfortable and have had no problems with moisture or loosing their shape. That said, I have not walked a Camino in them. Like I said, mine are made by Puma. I am not sure if they are 100% Bamboo or some mixture of different fibers. I will check next time I open a pack.

Joe

Hi Joe,
I've tried several different kinds of bamboo socks including on the camino but I find that I always poke my toe out of the end much sooner than I do in almost any other sock. I do find them clingy warm too in my light boots. My preference is light wool or very fine cotton - I know, I know, I know what the experts say about cotton -but I've walked about 3500km on my caminos in cotton socks with nary a blister so I really am not convinced 'they' know what's best when it comes to my feet:) Anyway - IMO-one thumb up for bamboo around home, two thumbs down for bamboo on the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not for months at a time, but yes, I have used Bamboo socks for hiking during holidays / vacations in the mountains. They are quite common in Europe and easily obtained in bigger supermarkets here. Make sure that they are seamless, if not the seams could rub / cause blisters. BTW, I love mine and use them as liner socks under thicker hiking socks. Hope that helps, SY

My son dropped off some more Bamboo socks. They are 80% bamboo, 15% polyester and 5% spandex. This might explain why there is a difference between my experience with them and others (Rachel and Gerard) experience.

Thank you for the feedback SY. My experience has been similar to yours. I had not considered using them as liners but that is a great idea. My socks are seamless but ribbed in the arch.

Ultreya,
Joe

Tomorrow, I leave to walk the Norte.

My plan is to wear Bamboo socks as a liner. I am hopeful they will be as comfortable as my experience using them at home.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tomorrow, I leave to walk the Norte.

My plan is to wear Bamboo socks as a liner. I am hopeful they will be as comfortable as my experience using them at home.

Ultreya,
Joe
Please let us know how they perform. I've been interested in these socks.
Buen camino!

Joe
Are your bamboo liner socks thick ones?
My walking buddy last year wore only bamboo thick socks, not with liners though and swore by them, she felt they were the reason she didn't get blisters. I did say though it may be other factors as she could not compare if she had not walked with other types. Those thick ones though took forever to dry. Much much longer than my bridgedale and wolf river socks.
Do come back later and tell how they were.
Annie

Please let us know how they perform. I've been interested in these socks.
Buen camino!

These are thin short socks. I am wearing them as a liner because they are so soft. These socks are only 85% Bamboo as I stated in an earlier note. I plan to wear medium smart wool socks over them. I will let you know how they work.

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got bamboo socks and wore them quite a bit. They were comfy but started shredding on the inside of the sock. I switched to Thorlo lightweight socks. I didn't want the sock going out on the trail. So my advice is, wear them A LOT before you decide.

I got bamboo socks and wore them quite a bit. They were comfy but started shredding on the inside of the sock. I switched to Thorlo lightweight socks. I didn't want the sock going out on the trail. So my advice is, wear them A LOT before you decide.

And after you decide what works well after wearing them a lot, buy some new socks before you leave.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.