• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Band of Trudgers - Virtual Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I'm heading down the big hill into Molinaseca...although limping a bit as I have a sore heel. But, never mind - a glass or two of wine will help the pain. Buen caminos Trudgers!
A hard path but I love that descent. Hopefully the "swimming pool" is warm enough!

I am allowing myself a long leash these days. Just checked steps since last time and see I am on my way to Castrojeriz. Will enjoy a stop for coffee there. Our friend from Sardinia was lounging there at the first cafe on the left, so calm and relaxed always. Thinking of her now, I am again impressed by her aura of calm and gentleness. It was amusing to see how she dealt - very graciously - with the attentions of a would be suitor!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm very late to the party and just started at St Jean today in Walking4Fun.
I'm Anamya or Ana P, #16517 .

How can I find more forum people on the trail? Or has everyone finished already?

Edit: ok, i found out that if I add people, I can see them on the map. Added some of you, please let me know if you don't want to be added!

Edit2: as I'm in isolation at home and started it at night, on my first day I did massive 1.9km! :D I'm just strolling aroung SJPDP for the first time! (My first city on my real Frances was Burgos)

Last edited:
45 days on the road! Stage 14, en route to Castrojeriz. Seems like I am walking through a treacly dream, never getting there, waking up and heading off, plodding on... still waiting for that coffee in Castrojeriz!

Kirkie, I love the fact I can see you on my map :p😄
6 days and finally approaching Roncesvalles, who would imagine it would take longer than Paulo Coelho to cross the mountains? Cant wait to start stage 2!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Finally made it! seems so strange though that H isn't sitting there, kind of waiting for us. Ah well, on and on we will go. Still feeling a bit like in a dream. I will be freer to pay more attention to my virtual camino in a few days, then we'll see. Anamya, you will be overtaking me before you know it! Mind your steps. On the day after tomorrow, be sure to climb up the little hill to Zabaldika, after a swim in the water under the bridge at Irotz. Careful though, it is very busy these days, so try to arrive early - for the swim, I mean. The albergue in Z is closed, but they will maybe let you pitch your tent on the lovely grass... and they will give you water and let you use the facilities if you are in extremis!

@CanterburyPilgrim, @kirkie, you two are so close, dancing around each other, eh. @Bala & I caught each other up, & @Levi is close to us too. @kaixo is powering along, he's walking really well. I've gone through Sarria now but I want to slow down. I'm too close to the end!

I'm very late to the party and just started at St Jean today in Walking4Fun.
I'm Anamya or Ana P, #16517 .

How can I find more forum people on the trail? Or has everyone finished already?

Edit: ok, i found out that if I add people, I can see them on the map. Added some of you, please let me know if you don't want to be added!
Hello @Anamya ! You can add my name in, for sure. You'll enjoy the walk, the virtual Camino. Chatting with the others along the Way makes it more real & fun. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Anamya not sure if I gave you my number, but I'm Jean (Bala), 16179. I added you into my friends, as well. 😊

I am slowly trudging my way up the hill to O Cebreiero. Funny how this virtual walk is mirroring much of what happened in real life. I've had to slow down on my walks at home for a variety of reasons, and realized I my virtual walk was right at the point where my knees gave out IRL, and I had to stop for a few days, walking very short stages afterwards. 😄

So here I am at last, approaching O Cebreiero and, with any luck, continuing on to the wonderful albergue at Fonfria. I'm not expecting any snow on this hot, steamy morning in late July. But then again, I didn't expect any snow on a lovely, cool morning in late May, either. But -- surprise, surprise! 🌨🌨 😄 So, who knows? 🤷‍♀️😊

Keep on trudging. 👣😎

You are all so encouraging, thank you! I am just short of completing 11km on the path to Fromista. We stayed in Boadilla on the real camino. The photos of the hill though, after Castrojeriz. Is it something of Mostelares? I can still feel the determination as I tackled that. I invented a way of breathing to propel me up and over: two breaths in, two breaths out. 17 minutes. I didn't stop. I was too afraid that I would just collapse and refuse to take another step! We are talking chicken here. Armchair athlete. Not any more though, thankfully. I will have a look around and see where you are all at, tomorrow. Now I need to go and give a hand to the hospitalera. She started off a sofrito, and cooked some chicken drumsticks. I will give her a surprise and finish off the job. Least I can do. See you all tomorrow!
👣👣👣👣👣

So, Trudgers, I'm over O'Cebreiro which means that I spent last night in the little village of Herrerías at the foot of the mountain. This is very significant for me.
In 2016 I walked the Via de la Plata. Instead of following the Camino Sanabres into Santiago (which most VdlP peregrinos do ) I chose to walk to Astorga to join up with the Frances.
Forum member @LesBrass (also walking the Via) told me to look out for a peregrino going the same way as me. She described him....beard...Scottish accent...
Well, I was drinking a beer in a tiny bar in Herrerías when I heard a Scottish accent. I turned around and asked 'Are you ....? Have you just walked the Via?'
The answer was yes. We talked. Had dinner.
We've been walking together ever since...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A little more effort and maybe a wee stop in Boadilla. I think we had beds, not bunks? I also recall sheets and pillowcases. The spotless shower and laundry area. The pool. The lovely atmosphere and the pilgrim meal. There was nothing else in the little settlement. Soon I will do a little more homework to situate myself virtually, and make an effort to pretend I am really doing a virtual camino. Make the sense of that that is in it!
Hasta pronto, compañeros.

Hi all. I came back to this thread to find out where you all are. It has been really enjoyable, lazing in bed catching up with your caminos. What is lovely for me are the descriptions,that those of you who have walked for real, have added. So wanting to add my own ......, one day. Well I did go on to Muxia and Finistère, finishing on 6 July. I’m now 3/4 of the way around the Tahoe Rim Trail. I chose that as my next hike as I had worked near there a few years back and it was a beautiful place to walk. Less mms recently as I’ve been hosting a French student and have now started with the stream of visiting grandchildren, for their holidays. I will be dropping back in to follow your adventures. Buen Camino.

Hi all. I came back to this thread to find out where you all are. It has been really enjoyable, lazing in bed catching up with your caminos. What is lovely for me are the descriptions,that those of you who have walked for real, have added. So wanting to add my own ......, one day. Well I did go on to Muxia and Finistère, finishing on 6 July. I’m now 3/4 of the way around the Tahoe Rim Trail. I chose that as my next hike as I had worked near there a few years back and it was a beautiful place to walk. Less mms recently as I’ve been hosting a French student and have now started with the stream of visiting grandchildren, for their holidays. I will be dropping back in to follow your adventures. Buen Camino.
Congratulations! You earned your virtual Compostela as well as your certificates from Muxia and Finisterre. 👍 Someday you will earn them in person, I'm confident. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 🙏😊

Do keep us posted on your Tahoe Rim trail. You'll have fun seeing familiar sites along the way.

Mile by mile I'm closing in on Santiago, getting near that infamous 100km mark 😄, and will continue on to Finisterre. After that I plan to head to LePuy and walk my way through France, a Camino that -- as recently as early March -- my husband and I thought we'd being doing this fall. Well, that sure went down the tubes quickly! But here we are. 🤷‍♀️

Happy trudging and Buen Camino to all! 👣👣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Sue127, good to hear from you! I saw you had continued to Fisterra, thinking of doing the same myself. I've never walked the Camino Frances, don't know if I ever will, but I've enjoyed seeing all the pics & scenery. I've nearly reached SdeC now but don't want to finish, lol. How's the Tahoe Rim Trail? Good scenery? Are you going to do another walk after that? I'm going to check out the other walks on here. It's been good chatting with others from the Forum, makes it more interesting. Let us know where you go next.

Sue127, good to hear from you! I saw you had continued to Fisterra, thinking of doing the same myself. I've never walked the Camino Frances, don't know if I ever will, but I've enjoyed seeing all the pics & scenery. I've nearly reached SdeC now but don't want to finish, lol. How's the Tahoe Rim Trail? Good scenery? Are you going to do another walk after that? I'm going to check out the other walks on here. It's been good chatting with others from the Forum, makes it more interesting. Let us know where you go next.
Of course, at this moment, you don’t know... but I sincerely hope you will. It was my first camino, and I am utterly grateful for the entire experience. I did not know if I would make it to the end of the first day... or the second... but I did! i was 58 and a lazy non active person. It did not take too long to be converted! Day three, from Cizur Menor, having begun in Roncesvalles, was such an achievement - some ‘friends‘ having told me I would never manage El Perdón. No problem. In fact I have walked that section three times since. Please, even if it is only virtually - revel in having reached Santiago!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course, at this moment, you don’t know... but I sincerely hope you will. It was my first camino, and I am utterly grateful for the entire experience. I did not know if I would make it to the end of the first day... or the second... but I did! i was 58 and a lazy non active person. It did not take too long to be converted! Day three, from Cizur Menor, having begun in Roncesvalles, was such an achievement - some ‘friends‘ having told me I would never manage El Perdón. No problem. In fact I have walked that section three times since. Please, even if it is only virtually - revel in having reached Santiago!
Haha, @kirkie, I'll be in SdeC soon, for the third time, but IRL I approached from Portugal so I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos of the Camino Frances approach. I'm also looking forward to attending the English Mass & I'm remembering the gorgeous chapel the Mass was celebrated in. I will be walking on to Muxia & Fisterra after a couple of days so keep watching.
I'm trying to choose my next walking challenge, the Arizona Trail looks interesting, but I'll see. Anyone else going to start another? I've enjoyed this & the company.

I started the Scottish Highland Way - as I come from a town near the start - but switched over to. C.F. I will go back to that one. It is more likely I could do it in real time than any others in the list. You would get lots of company on the Scottish Highland Way. Here are two links, there many more...

I started the Scottish Highland Way - as I come from a town near the start - but switched over to. C.F. I will go back to that one. It is more likely I could do it in real time than any others in the list. You would get lots of company on the Scottish Highland Way. Here are two links, there many more...
Hahaha!
Hahahahahaha!
I didn't even need to look at those links, @kirkie, I loathe midges & they love my taste. That just made me laugh. But I'm presuming the links were a joke. I've been to Glasgow & Edinburgh, never saw a midge. I did not go into the countryside though. I'm a Kiwi, there are places in NZ I will not go because the sandflies would devour me!
IRL, I'm hoping to walk the Camino Madrid to Sahagun & Leon when we can do so safely.

Still haven't really got into this virtual walk. As I said, seems a bit like walking in treacle. As if I knew. I have never walked in treacle. Anyway, I am 376.4km on my way to Santiago. I wonder, will I ever do this again in reality? I doubt it. The month we had in 2006 will not easily put itself in my way again. More likely the Baztan will be the follow up. Anybody who is near me, do give a shout. I would hate to think I just walked past you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola Trudgers....just 17k to do to Santiago. A stroll on the real camino but at least two days on the virtual.
So for the last 10k or so I'll be walking along the Quoile River here in Co Down, then up past the earthworks and to the Cathedral. St Patrick's (perhaps) grave and hopefully into the Cathedral where there is a nice stained glass window of St James. Then a glass of wine.....
I'll report back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fantastic @Levi ! You're almost there! 👣👣🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

I'm about 5 miles short of Palas de Rei. Walking has been a bit off the last week or so. Major storms and 3 confirmed tornadoes in our area last week kept most people, including me 😉, indoors. But I'm still expecting to get to Santiago this month and finish up at Finisterre shortly after.

The site tells me I've taken over a million steps since late May, and that's pretty amazing. 👣 Especially since my feet are still in good shape! 😄

Keep on trudging, pilgrims. 😎

Wow, you’ve all moved n since I last checked. Holidays with grandchildren didn’t stop me walking but I hadn’t checked to see were my feet had taken me. Imagine my surprise when I flout that I had completed the Tahoe Ridge Trail and W4F decided to choose a new trail for me. I was going to choose one in the Uk, but apparently I’m 13% of the way into the John Muir Trail. I’ve never been there but have driven near (relatively) on the way to Death Valley. The trail certainly looks tough later on, so I’m very happy to be doing this virtually. @Levi , you must be nearly there now. Are you going on past Santiago ? I love all your descriptions, so will keep coming back to see where you all are. Take care

Wow, you’ve all moved n since I last checked. Holidays with grandchildren didn’t stop me walking but I hadn’t checked to see were my feet had taken me. Imagine my surprise when I flout that I had completed the Tahoe Ridge Trail and W4F decided to choose a new trail for me. I was going to choose one in the Uk, but apparently I’m 13% of the way into the John Muir Trail. I’ve never been there but have driven near (relatively) on the way to Death Valley. The trail certainly looks tough later on, so I’m very happy to be doing this virtually. @Levi , you must be nearly there now. Are you going on past Santiago ? I love all your descriptions, so will keep coming back to see where you all are. Take care
Enjoy your new trail!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I've reached Santiago and I'm feeling that familiar mix of pleasure ( in being here ) and pain (because the walking is done). I love this city - so many memories...

I'll trudge on to Finisterre and then maybe hop on a bus to Porto...

Buen Caminos lovely Trudgers - thank you for your company 🙏

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, I've reached Santiago and I'm feeling that familiar mix of pleasure ( in being here ) and pain (because the walking is done). I love this city - so many memories...

Congratulations from far off Fromista!

Breakfast is on me . . . .

1597562768260.png

Well done! 🙏😊

I saw that on the map on Sunday! Congrats!
Here at the end of the Trudging tail, things are fine. I had some rain while going to Pamplona, but the weather in fine towards Puente de La Reina. I'm actually enjoying seeing all these places I had not been before.

Anybody who is near me, do give a shout. I would hate to think I just walked past you...

I'm way behind, but I like seeing your marker on the map :)

hmm... 3 and a half km to reach Calzadilla. In spite of local rain, I will add a few more km this morning.

edit: so near yet so far! one and a half km to the goal for today.

Very aware of the fact that there are pilgrims actually walking, and especially two who are walking for those who can't. I have no idea when the green light will be given from Ireland so meantime, best just to make the most of it and be thankful. Reminds me of a spot on a road in Scotland: Rest and Be Thankful is the lovely moniker it has! Currently it is undergoing complicated repairs after heavy rain caused landslips...
Rest and be thankful are the words inscribed on a stone near the junction of the A83 and the B828, placed there by soldiers who built the original military road in 1753, now referred to as the Drovers’ road. The original stone fell into ruin and was replaced by a commemorative stone at the same site.

The weather in this area can play tricks with you, sometimes dark clouds and rain or drizzle accompany you while you drive west over the top of the pass when suddenly the sun comes out on the other side at Loch Fyne. The high group of mountains, also referred to as the Arrochar Alps, are the reason for these rapid weather changes. The Cobbler, or Ben Arthur, is one of Scotland’s most spectacular mountains visible from Rest and be Thankful. Ben Arthur is not the highest mountain of the Arrochar Alps, that is Beinn Ime with 1,011m a few miles further north. Both mountains are very popular with walkers.

Almost there! Less than 3 miles from Santiago, so I guess I'm spending the night at Monte do Gozo and will walk triumphantly into Santiago tomorrow morning. 😄

I'll have the requisite photo taken on the square, stroll on over to the Pilgrims' Office for my Compostela, then head back to the cathedral just in time for the Pilgrim Mass -- concluding, of course, with the butofumero. (Well, it's a virtual Camino so I can make anything happen that I want to happen 😉.)

With any luck I finish the journey to Finnisterre by the end of the month. Keep on trudging!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2km out of Mansilla de las Mulas. Photos were taken at the sculpture before reaching the friendly albergue, and later, in the washing area in the right back section of the patio, and then some around the walls of the town. Suddenly, the walls of Lugo have come galloping - can walls come galloping? - into my field of vision. They were wondrous to look at last year after the Ingles, on a meandering car trip back from Santiago to Pamplona, taking in the Playas de las Catedrales.
Am I correct in thinking we ate cocido maragato in Mansilla de las Mulas? I think so. We ate typical food wherever we went.
In real life, today is a hop and a skip to Leon. On the CF, we stayed in the convent albergue. Separate rooms for women and men, and prayer, and common meal option. The Cathedral in Leon - no, wait! Wait till Leon!

I arrived in Santiago yesterday. I wish the app made a bigger deal of of it 😄, but what the heck. Five hundred miles is 500 miles.

Just as on the real Camino, I look back to the days I started and think how far I've come, how much I've changed, how different, yet how similar, the world seems now vs. then. It went so fast. Yet last May seems long ago.

Well, enough of this ruminating. Now it's on to Finnisterre. 👣👣 😎 Buen Camino, pilgrims!

Kia ora, pilgrims! I haven't been on for a bit. Life got busy, lol. I'm back at work! Hopefully no more working from home. Anyway, I reached Santiago de Compostela, went on to Finisterre/Fisterra, yay! & now I've started the Arizona Trail! @Bala & @Levi , good to see you made it to SdeC so well. @kaixo , you are powering along! Keep going, @kirkie , you're walking well. @canterburypilgrim, keep on going. How's the mask making going? I've also finished the virtual walk I was doing through Peru with staff from my work. Now we are walking around the Baltic Sea, passing through ten countries. Amazing the places you can visit virtually! Does anyone fancy joining me in Arizona? I'd love some company. The Grand Canyon is on this trail, I'm looking forward to seeing that. Ciao, ciao!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @igailfh , after leaving the Camino Francés, I opted for the Tahoe Ridge Trail, as I knew Lake Tahoe, a little. I forgot to check for a while and found that W4fun had put me in the John Muir trail, I guess as it was close. I still have a way to go, but hopefully will be paying better attention when I near the end and will be able to choose where to go next. After Ivar’s Monday broadcast, I see my chances of a real CF disappearing for this year, but, I continue to hope (and try not to drive my OH mad!). Walking through the Grand Canyon should be interesting, maybe I might try that later. Buen Camino to all the Trudgers.

Just over 8km out of Leon. I think that is about the spot where some other pilgrims were hanging around, held at bay by an angry, barking dog. I was not the brave one, my friend was. She led us all like the Pied Piper, to safety. That statue facing the Parador! I will never forget the need to just sit down beside the guy and rest my weary bones. It was so hot. I have a lovely photo of a young assistant in the phone shop near there. Ah well, on and on we go...

€149,-
Oops, @Jeff Crawley, I used the wrong name, sorry. @Sue127, where are you walking now? Enjoy your new trail. @Anamya , I'm glad you're keeping in touch. I followed your progress till I reached Fisterra.
You've all been great neighbours!
Call me what you will, just don't call me late for my dinner ;)

Still trudging in mid-Mesata, No1 Daughter with me for the weekend (IRL) so making masks for my great-neice who is back to school on Tuesday.

Bueno Camino to Trudgers, Virtual or Real, wherever you step.

Olá Lovely Trudgers! I'm now walking the virtual Portuguese Camino from Lisbon. I walked this camino for real in 2017 and I have to say it was my least favourite camino. Too much road walking, some very dangerous. Although also some beautiful towns - Santarem, Coimbro...
So, I'm looking forward to this traffic free virtual version.
Buen caminos Trudgers- keep on keeping on...

Olá Lovely Trudgers! I'm now walking the virtual Portuguese Camino from Lisbon. I walked this camino for real in 2017 and I have to say it was my least favourite camino. Too much road walking, some very dangerous. Although also some beautiful towns - Santarem, Coimbro...
So, I'm looking forward to this traffic free virtual version.
Buen caminos Trudgers- keep on keeping on...
Levi, I walked the Portuguese Camino in 2017 also, & again in 2019. First time I walked from Lisbon to Fatima, bused to Porto, then walked the Central to SdeC. Loved it all! Second time I walked from Lisbon to the first day past Coimbra, was horrified at the totally unsafe road walking so hopped a bus to Porto. Then I walked the Coastal/Senda Litoral, with detours, to SdeC. I loved that route too! Only missed the Spiritual Variant. One day! Enjoy the virtual, does it offer the Coastal?

€149,-
I have just over 7km to go to reach Villar de Mazarife. Who knows, maybe tomorrow it will not rain too much and I can get there...I have absolutely no memory of the place. No wonder - we followed Eroski and St James’ Confraternity guide. That was such a handy book, once I got used to ‘kso’. It had no photos, was light and small to carry. So we stopped in San Martin. It will be interesting to learn about Mazarife this time. Tomorrow...

Wow! I watched a short video, Efren, I am breathless trying to keep up with him. I also read a blog by someone who writes like she thinks. No holds barred. So encouraging! I am heading out now that the rain has stopped, and we‘ll see how much of the 7km I cover. Maybe all of it, I will report back later.
👣

and so we go... headed out towards Astorga. I recall a fairly steep incline getting in to the city. I also recall a baronial albergue that had a little footbath in the patio, and wooden bunks, and maybe massage was offered. I loved visiting the Palace. Not much else comes back to me at the moment, and just as well as this is a day for one foot in front of the other.

Nearly ten km done on route to Astorga. Great! Looking forward to getting there. Can’t wait to dip my toes into the foot bath in the albergue. I don’t even want to know if it is open. I will wait to be either dismayed or raging... now is now.

Nearly ten km done on route to Astorga. Great! Looking forward to getting there. Can’t wait to dip my toes into the foot bath in the albergue. I don’t even want to know if it is open. I will wait to be either dismayed or raging... now is now.
Go, @kirkie ! I hope you find the foot bath, lol.
I'm enjoying walking the Arizona Trail. It started from the Mexican border & goes up towards the Utah border. So it starts out a dry & dusty trail but along the way are these amazing desert flowers. I never knew there were so many flowering cacti.
@Levi , how's the Caminho Português? What town are you at now?

@igailfh - I've left Azumbuja heading for Santarem. In my diary for this actual walk I've written, "villages sheltering behind flood barriers, tiny houses coated in tiles. Storks following a tractor. A hoopoo. Stopping in small bar for a beer. Walking on top of the flood barrier. Walking miles through vines, Santarem on a hill in the distance..."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just joined Walkingy4Fun and am starting from St Jean today. I am sure it will take me even longer to get to Orisson than it did the first time.
You are all so far ahead of me, I hope I see you sometime.
Welcome to the Trudgers! Surprise yourself, beat your own time record! Only joking. Enjoy every step.👣👣👣

I just joined Walkingy4Fun and am starting from St Jean today. I am sure it will take me even longer to get to Orisson than it did the first time.
You are all so far ahead of me, I hope I see you sometime.
Take your time, we're not in any hurry (said he who started out on 23rd March and still hasn't reached Leon!)

€149,-
@igailfh - I've left Azumbuja heading for Santarem. In my diary for this actual walk I've written, "villages sheltering behind flood barriers, tiny houses coated in tiles. Storks following a tractor. A hoopoo. Stopping in small bar for a beer. Walking on top of the flood barrier. Walking miles through vines, Santarem on a hill in the distance..."
Oh, @Levi, I remember that day's walk! I didn't make it the first time, caught a ride for the last 4km to Santarem thanks to Mario from the albergue sending a cab for me. That last 16km stretch on a really hot day was hard. But....the second time I was better prepared & it wasn't so hot so I walked all the way. Lots of grapes!

According to walk4fun I have clocked up a fair number of kms, but how did I miss LTfit? I have to start again... I am on my way to Rabanal, or actually, I think I will stay going as it would be interesting to see how the albergue we stayed in in Foncebadon is doing...

I am intrigued inspired and excited by the posts I read here. In particular the videos that Ivar has posted of the Santiago environs tug at my heartstrings to return. I have previously walked my Camino starting in SJPDeP and finishing in Santiago in 2017/2018 in two attempts but missing out sections because of ill health requiring me to return to OZ On both occasions. Now from what I read here I can do a Virtual Camino retracing my own footsteps and perhaps adding in sections I missed. Like many I am hamstrung by current restrictions and this seems the perfect way for me to help myself. I am keen to learn from anyone any ‘Tips and Tricks’ to attempting this. I have joined Walk4fun and making preperations to start in a week or twos time. I would so appreciate any helpful thoughts you can give me. I see by some posts I am a late starter but ‘better late than never’. I can only say thank you for your inspirational messages and eagerly await my journey. Buen Camino from Australia.

2020 is the first year since I first went to Santiago to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in 2015, that I haven't returned. I enjoy the old town so very much. Pilgrims arriving every day finding old Camino friends and reaching their long held goal makes for such a joyous spirit. This virtual camino trudge is bringing back memories of places and people that my journal doesn't.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in Muxia! 😄 Wow! The Atlantic never looked so beautiful. 💕

I'll go to mass and get a pilgrim blessing, then join a couple other pilgrims for an awesome dinner - fresh grilled fish, of course - on the harbor. At least that's how it went in real time, October 2018. 😉

Then off tomorrow for Finnisterre. Almost at the end. Keep on trudging, pilgrims. 👣😎

After cruising around gleaning heaps of information from the excellent posts in this forum I set off today to retrace my Camino footsteps of 2017 and 2018 Starting in St Jean today and making it to Orisson tonight as I did originally. I am elated to have begun Walking4fun and contentedly sit here already surrounded by my much used maps, credential and Guide book as my new adventure unfolds. Today I reached Orisson I hope to qualify as an ‘old trudger’ as that title well and truly fits. The roughest of plans in mind, with luck, has me walking into Santiago sometime late in November.🚶‍♀️

I am nearly to Pamplona. I began my second Camino there in September 2017 because I couldn't face the climb from St Jean. We spent the day before exploring, buying food and our credenciales. In the morning before starting off two ladies asked us if they could walk with us to find the way. One became a recurring feature of my Camino all the way to Santiago.

I am in Muxia! 😄 Wow! The Atlantic never looked so beautiful. 💕

I'll go to mass and get a pilgrim blessing, then join a couple other pilgrims for an awesome dinner - fresh grilled fish, of course - on the harbor. At least that's how it went in real time, October 2018. 😉

Then off tomorrow for Finnisterre. Almost at the end. Keep on trudging, pilgrims. 👣😎
So pleased you made it, @Bala! One day I will see Muxia for real. Enjoy the walk to Finisterre.
I'm walking the Arizona Trail & should be in Tuscon in a few days. I'm enjoying seeing all the desert flowers.

After cruising around gleaning heaps of information from the excellent posts in this forum I set off today to retrace my Camino footsteps of 2017 and 2018 Starting in St Jean today and making it to Orisson tonight as I did originally. I am elated to have begun Walking4fun and contentedly sit here already surrounded by my much used maps, credential and Guide book as my new adventure unfolds. Today I reached Orisson I hope to qualify as an ‘old trudger’ as that title well and truly fits. The roughest of plans in mind, with luck, has me walking into Santiago sometime late in November.🚶‍♀️
@lavender girl! All power to you to get up those mountains. Good idea to stay at Orisson overnight. It sounds like a great place. Buen Camino!

I am nearly to Pamplona. I began my second Camino there in September 2017 because I couldn't face the climb from St Jean. We spent the day before exploring, buying food and our credenciales. In the morning before starting off two ladies asked us if they could walk with us to find the way. One became a recurring feature of my Camino all the way to Santiago.
@Desert Bruce, don't chase any bulls! I hope you meet some pilgrims along the Way again. Buen Camino!

€149,-
I have reached and passed through Santa Catalina de Somoza. I have no memory of having done so in reality. For the first time, I am really feeling a pull to walk the Cf again. And again, from Roncesvalles. I do not have to walk from SJPdP. Now that I know the place where I volunteer as a tutor cannot accept me any longer - a consequence of Covid19 - I actually could just head off, theoretically. Will the day come? i would be so nervous about doing it by myself. Now is now, and boy am I glad to be where I am, in the middle of nowhere, and peacefully trudging along.

I can’t believe I have been walking two days and Have only completed 12ks. I guess my training is severely lacking, may I claim a blocked heart artery of 98% requiring a stent 10 weeks ago as my crutch? The closest ‘trudger’ I can see is Desert Bruce who may be in Pamplona by now. I walked my Camino in 17/18 mainly on my own during the day as I enjoyed the solitude to connect with life but I did so enjoy the communal evenings albergues food and wine sessions. It is so beautiful here in the Pyrenees’s that maybe this is where I really need to be?

@Jeff Crawley, no need to hurry. You're doing other good things. I hope to see Leon one day. I'm hoping to walk the Camino Madrid (when there's a reliable vaccine & fewer restrictions) to Sahagun & walk on to Leon.
@lavender girl, I hope your health improves with your walking regime. Take it easy, short walks are fine. You can sleep on the trail overnight & deem every night to be warm & dry, every sleeping place to be soft & welcoming, & breakfast ready every morning!
@Bala, how was Finisterre? Where will your next virtual trail take you? Buen Camino!
@kirkie, pity about the job, but now you're free! A reliable vaccine, fewer restrictions, & you'll be free to go. I do my Caminos solo but nobody stays alone unless they choose to. I found I liked walking alone, just chatting to passers by for a bit, then socialising at the albergues. No need to be nervous, all will be well, except when it rains. I don't do rain, lol. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Jeff Crawley, no need to hurry. You're doing other good things. I hope to see Leon one day. I'm hoping to walk the Camino Madrid (when there's a reliable vaccine & fewer restrictions) to Sahagun & walk on to Leon.
@lavender girl, I hope your health improves with your walking regime. Take it easy, short walks are fine. You can sleep on the trail overnight & deem every night to be warm & dry, every sleeping place to be soft & welcoming, & breakfast ready every morning!
@Bala, how was Finisterre? Where will your next virtual trail take you? Buen Camino!
@kirkie, pity about the job, but now you're free! A reliable vaccine, fewer restrictions, & you'll be free to go. I do my Caminos solo but nobody stays alone unless they choose to. I found I liked walking alone, just chatting to passers by for a bit, then socialising at the albergues. No need to be nervous, all will be well, except when it rains. I don't do rain, lol. Buen Camino!
Thank you for your encouragement I needed it to get to the summit....whew made it....only just....

I just passed through Estella.
When I was here last it was early Sunday morning during a fiesta weekend, people will still drinking in the streets as we trudged by. The wine fountain was nearly bone dry, I got a single drop, then it was dry.

I just passed through Estella.
When I was here last it was early Sunday morning during a fiesta weekend, people will still drinking in the streets as we trudged by. The wine fountain was nearly bone dry, I got a single drop, then it was dry.
I have less than a minute - well done! I must add up all my kms and post tomorrow... 👣 👣
A good sleep gives me some oomph to get moving along, and as before will pass through Rabanal, visiting the church and a nod to the closed csj albergue, and head for Foncebadon. No fear of the mad dogs, even last time I knew it was a wee bit of a story - though it had been true. Will the guy at the house on the right at the top of the incline still be forking the hay into the loft space? Have the hens been deprived of their superior status as First Citizens, with right of way up and down and in and out the highway and houses? I say highway with tongue in cheek of course. 14 years could have ‘improved‘ things more than I might imagine. Sorry I have no photos to hand, but I found a photo that is royalty free, and it looks similar to that house where the guy was atop a wagon forking up the hay...
24F92F85-837E-4D57-9D73-B4266E97B52D.jpeg

Photos Foncebadon 2018. Pic 3 is top of the hill right. I am still stuck at Roncenvales with an injury but will get there eventually. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• 20200920_074427.jpg
    20200920_074427.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200920_074639.jpg
    20200920_074639.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200920_075038.jpg
    20200920_075038.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Sorry to hear you have an injury, and thank you for kindly posting your photos. It doesn’t look as if too much has changed!
I am just getting in to Rabanal and look forward to skirting the road on the right hand side - am I right? Along a little track... to get to Foncebadon. The dawn opened up before us as we walked from there to the Cruz de Hierro, and we had a silent time there and moved on. A tradition kept, our little tiny stones left as a symbol of laying down our burdens... and Tomas was sick, so his place was closed. Then the best breakfast ever on the camino! In El Acebo. I am going ahead of myself. Also with the beautiful view, captured in my avatar photo - so like my home highlands. Get well soon, lavender girl.

I made it to Finnisterre a few days ago and have officially ended my virtual pilgrimage to Santiago and to the End of the Earth! I truly feel a sense of accomplishment. After all, 500-plus miles is 500-plus miles👣, no matter where we walk them. 😀

Big shout-out to @Jeff Crawley for suggesting this. It's been an incentive to get out and walk, and lots of fun. Keep trudging, Jeff.

I immediately started on the LePuy route and am enjoying it immensely. It's so different from the Francés, where every photo brought back a memory. Now everything is new, and each day brings something fresh and interesting... and keeps those dreams alive. 😉 Someday... someday...

Keep on trudging, pilgrims! I'll be stopping in to see how everyone's doing. That's half the fun.

This is the little track between Rabanal and Foncebadon I am not sure if it is on the left or right side of the road. There are lovely spiritual woods to walk through On this stage. It was here I ran out of water on the trail and begged some from a resting pilgrim who shared that his water bottle had once been filled at Lourdes and I could possibly be the recipient of a drop from that source. How amazing is the Camino of Francis? It delivers small miracles along the way! Buen Camino. ( please tell me if you don’t want me to post my 2017/18 photos)346171F5-6AC3-468C-BB40-A15018B454E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 062222BA-A997-482F-8993-E76EAA0692D2.jpeg
    062222BA-A997-482F-8993-E76EAA0692D2.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 7
This is the little track between Rabanal and Foncebadon I am not sure if it is on the left or right side of the road. There are lovely spiritual woods to walk through On this stage. It was here I ran out of water on the trail and begged some from a resting pilgrim who shared that his water bottle had once been filled at Lourdes and I could possibly be the recipient of a drop from that source. How amazing is the Camino of Francis? It delivers small miracles along the way! Buen Camino. ( please tell me if you don’t want me to post my 2017/18 photos)View attachment 83376
I am very happy to see your photos. I do not remember that large sign though, so I guess there has been some kind of upgrading since 2006. Sweet Lord! How innocent I was! Such a dope! I mean that. I had wasted years of my life but I learned. Isn’t that the secret? I am really getting a tick about walking it again, although the chances of the same time frame are poor. Maybe in two halves...
you have to forgive me if I am a bit confused. I am a certain distance from Rabanal, but I slept in Foncebadon, and it looks like we have just left El Acebo. A particular architecture. A startling monument, a life lost and immortalised in a bicycle sculpture. A breakfast we imitated watching two miners from southern Spain order the embutidos etc, and the vino to wash it down. We eschewed the spirits though.. then as wound our way down the path we could hear those two. Talking at the tops of their voices, skipping down like mountain goats, smoking away and before we knew it they were well ahead of us. Happy pilgrims, indeed. Onwards, pilgrims! Onwards!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@kirkie, I do enjoy that song & it was nice to see Celtic Thunder among the singers. I've been a fan of theirs for years. Keep on walking, @kirkie !
I'm enjoying walking the Arizona Trail though I'm ready for a change of terrain, lol.
@Bala, enjoy Le Puy, let us know how it goes. I might try that after the AZT.
@Jeff Crawley, my masks have arrived from @ivar & I'm finding them very comfortable & they do give an edge of confidence. Keep on making yours for all your people.
A German friend from another walking group sent a message that she was on Rugen in the Baltic Sea. Coincidentally I am also virtually walking around the Baltic Sea with a group from my work! Lol!

Nice post, @igailth. Just sitting getting my energy back. Walked from Dunlaoghaire to my home, East Wall. Smarty pants Google says it is 2 hours 21 minutes. How is that for precision? I have news for Mr Google. Took me a lot longer. I felt the elasticity disappearing, sinking out through my shoes! Anyway, after a salty snack am feeling fine. And actually, not too bad at all. I think that is due to the almost daily practice of at least 10,000 steps. Now,m walk4fun tells me I have passed through Ponferrada and am about 7 km beyond. Must sit down and have a break. In real time, I would have had a smoke break. Gave that up almost 4 years ago. I loved smoking. But I stopped and haven’t had one since. I spent my smokes money on the ipad I am writing this on! I gave myself a full year’s warning, and kept to it. It can be done. Glad you liked the video.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Half way to Santo Domingo, from Najera. Ah well, the weather is perfect, I will set up the tent shortly. Hasta mañana chicos! (Inclusive language)
View attachment 77974
Nice post, @igailth. Just sitting getting my energy back. Walked from Dunlaoghaire to my home, East Wall. Smarty pants Google says it is 2 hours 21 minutes. How is that for precision? I have news for Mr Google. Took me a lot longer. I felt the elasticity disappearing, sinking out through my shoes! Anyway, after a salty snack am feeling fine. And actually, not too bad at all. I think that is due to the almost daily practice of at least 10,000 steps. Now,m walk4fun tells me I have passed through Ponferrada and am about 7 km beyond. Must sit down and have a break. In real time, I would have had a smoke break. Gave that up almost 4 years ago. I loved smoking. But I stopped and haven’t had one since. I spent my smokes money on the ipad I am writing this on! I gave myself a full year’s warning, and kept to it. It can be done. Glad you liked the video.
Nice post, @igailth. Just sitting getting my energy back. Walked from Dunlaoghaire to my home, East Wall. Smarty pants Google says it is 2 hours 21 minutes. How is that for precision? I have

Hi Trudgers
Are you still trudging? I know @Sue127 has swopped virtual for reality and is experiencing the real thing. I'm not a bit jealous of course ;).
In my virtual world I'm in Portugal. I've walked from Lisbon and now just leaving Porto. Hope you're all well...

Hi Trudgers
Are you still trudging? I know @Sue127 has swopped virtual for reality and is experiencing the real thing. I'm not a bit jealous of course ;).
In my virtual world I'm in Portugal. I've walked from Lisbon and now just leaving Porto. Hope you're all well...
Dodged lockdown in Leon and am just short of San Martin del Camino. For various reason haven't been walking as much recently and need to pick up the pace. Astorga's not far away and then there's Ponferada and pretty soon Santiago (by Christmas?)
Keep on Trudgin'
🥾🥾🥾🥾🥾🥾

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Trudgers
In my virtual world I'm in France, about 100 miles along the Chemin Le Puy. It's been going slowly, life here at home is picking up - not such a bad thing - but I'm out when I can be.

The pictures on the site are beautiful and, of course, the weather is always perfect, the flowers are all in bloom, the little chapels are open, all along the way. Love it! I still hope someday to get there for real.

Meanwhile, let's all keep on trudging. 👣 😎

I am about a third of the way from Triacastela to Sarria. It doesn't really feel like it... but anyway, I will keep on going. Good to see the rest of you keeping on going too. And Sue, I hope Sue is doing ok on her real walk...

Hola todos, I am nearly to Saragun, the half way point of the CF. Maybe this time I'll get the half Compestela. In 2017 there was a line waiting for the clerk to arrive at noon on a Sunday. She was late, then took 10-15 minutes with each pilgrim. My friend and I were eight and nine in line. We wanted to walk more so didn't wait for the document. I'll plan to spend the night there this time.

I am on my way to Portomarin. In real life, when we reached there we found no room at the Inn. A bunch of youngsters had sent their bags ahead and they were all lined up in the queue. So, we had a very nice lunch - not our usual pattern - and said farewell to a group who had been walking more or less at our pace since the beginning. Then we set off... but let that wait till Portomarin has had its dust wiped from our feet...😟

oops. Portomarin how are you - I am only on my way to Sarria. ha! Wishful thinking I guess.

This trudger is almost at the albergue in Sarria. I remember a young woman dressed in a white dress who showed us to our bunks. The albergue was kind of brown. That is all I recall. Well, it was 2006, and I was probably totally exhausted, and maybe even a bit crabbit into the bargain. Help! Where have the smileys gone?

Hello Trudgers! I just learned about this thread but am on W4F since April, walking the Frances a little at a time. Almost in Finisterre now. I think I will hop on the Le Puy after that. By the way, I’m Peregrina on W4F. Will be happy to look for other trudgers! Keep on trudging!

Hi
I’m at back of the pack too. I have been watching all of you for a while but decided I needed to commit myself to virtual since Spain is a pipe dream for a while yet.
I’m using my forum name : OzAnnie and I’m member #17402
Started oct 12 and taking it easy on the CF.
A few kilometres short of Puenta la Reina.

Annie.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another hour and a bit to Portomarin. Time for a cup of tea in real life. Walked the legs off myself dealing with a bit of business before level 5 kicks in tomorrow. Now, a rest. One of these days I must check out where you all are. Virtually of course...

Well, in the virtual world I'm just on the border between Portugal and Spain. That bridge was a lot of fun... 'now I'm in Spain...now I'm in Portugal...oh, back in Spain...'
In the real world I'm also very fortunate as I'm in lovely Oban on the west coast of Scotland. Albeit huddled under a restaurant umbrella in the rain (needed a glass of wine which restaurants aren't at the moment allowed to serve indoors).
Really, in these perilous times I'm very thankful and taking nothing for granted anymore.
Buen camino Trudgers. Stay safe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, in the virtual world I'm just on the border between Portugal and Spain. That bridge was a lot of fun... 'now I'm in Spain...now I'm in Portugal...oh, back in Spain...'
In the real world I'm also very fortunate as I'm in lovely Oban on the west coast of Scotland. Albeit huddled under a restaurant umbrella in the rain (needed a glass of wine which restaurants aren't at the moment allowed to serve indoors).
Really, in these perilous times I'm very thankful and taking nothing for granted anymore.
Buen camino Trudgers. Stay safe.
I hope you did not miss this in Oban...it is a special offer.1C17D55E-5916-439A-A03A-43C7B2BBFA33.jpeg

Hello Trudgers! I just learned about this thread but am on W4F since April, walking the Frances a little at a time. Almost in Finisterre now. I think I will hop on the Le Puy after that. By the way, I’m Peregrina on W4F. Will be happy to look for other trudgers! Keep on trudging!
I'm on LePuy now, going slowly, so you might even catch up after you start. My W4F name is Jean /Bala, easy to connect. 😉 I haven't left many messages on the log, but thinking someone may be coming behind me is an iincentive to scribble a few.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back