A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Lost Bank card, insurance card, cash

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
1-7-2019: Nijmegen-Santiago (Lim/Mon), Campaniensis, Voie Rocamadour, Podiensis, Norte, Primitivo
I have lost the holy trinity - bank card, insurance card, also OV card (Dutch travel system) and cash money... :(

The bank card has been blocked. Insurance card obviously useless to anybody not carrying my name. Still, if anybody found it, it would be awesome.

They are in a small black case, I think I lost it somewhere between Anglure and Mery-sur-Seine on the Campaniensis (near Troyes).

It was raining bad that day, lots of changes jnto poncho etc...

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
Oh no that is not good. I know you are traveling on short budget anyway, I really hope you are ok and hope you get it all back. Is this the new card your housemates were sending you?

Best of luck
Davey

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
How horrible for you! Please keep in touch with us. I hope good things come of all this loss. I will be waiting to hear how it all "shakes out" in the end.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I have lost the holy trinity - bank card, insurance card, also OV card (Dutch travel system) and cash money... :(
Oh, I'm sorry to read this @Gwaihir. When you are on a budget and this happens.........just...grf.
Hopefully someone finds them.
I think I lost it somewhere between Anglure and Mery-sur-Seine on the Campaniensis (near Troyes).
Is it safe to assume that you have already checked at both of these places to see if they have been turned in? If not, that is a place to start.

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
1-7-2019: Nijmegen-Santiago (Lim/Mon), Campaniensis, Voie Rocamadour, Podiensis, Norte, Primitivo
@Davey Boyd, No the one they are sending me is a replacement fortunately! I'm picking it up this week near Lac du Settons (Awesome place if anybody ever wants to do Vezelay-Le Puy)

I am doing ok because I have my tent, slept in the garden of two awesome people two days ago (they even gave me breakfast), near cows yesterday and among the trees today with some live music nearby - and some rodents too!

I just have to be careful and try not to camp in areas where there are sanglier (wild boar)...

calling the mairie of those places is a good idea. Hopefully I can make myself understood - some french people understand my touristy french and others do not.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
@Davey Boyd, No the one they are sending me is a replacement fortunately! I'm picking it up this week near Lac du Settons (Awesome place if anybody ever wants to do Vezelay-Le Puy)

I am doing ok because I have my tent, slept in the garden of two awesome people two days ago (they even gave me breakfast), near cows yesterday and among the trees today with some live music nearby - and some rodents too!

I just have to be careful and try not to camp in areas where there are sanglier (wild boar)...

calling the mairie of those places is a good idea. Hopefully I can make myself understood - some french people understand my touristy french and others do not.

I'm so glad you're ok!

Ultreia!
Davey

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Hi guys, any of you know a trustworthy address between the Morvan and Clermont-Ferrand? Or in Clermont.

Bank card is taking ages to get here, so the owner of the camping offered to forward it to me at a different address. Grr... french snail mail...

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
Hi guys, any of you know a trustworthy address between the Morvan and Clermont-Ferrand? Or in Clermont.

Bank card is taking ages to get here, so the owner of the camping offered to forward it to me at a different address. Grr... french snail mail...
I was going to suggest using Post Restante. (Sending it to a post office for you to pick up). But I think you need ID to collect it. You will need ID to send it to a gite/hotel too. Do you still have your ID?

Davey

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
That's a good idea! Yeah I still have my ID. That's how I managed to stay alive this far :p

By using Western Union to send myself cash money, and then pick it up in a village.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
No problem. Use Post Restante. They will hold the letter for two weeks. I would pick a place ahead so when you arrive the letter with the card is waiting for you. Better than sitting still waiting for the card - sitting still is a nightmare for a pilgrim!

If you need a hand in any way, I am sat here with a computer and internet, just give me a shout.

Bon Chemin
Davey

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Awesome Davey, you're really a lot of help. I'm looking at this link but don't understand much of it. Can you help me make sense of the process?

At the moment the card is on its way to the camping still, but the camping owner can send it to the post office. I need to explain it to him too.

Can you still use lettre reccomandee (insured mail) by this method? I feel like a total France n00b ;)

Edit to insert link https://www.laposte.fr/demenagement-absence/reexpedition-poste-restante/choix-contrat

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
According to their website the answer is yes. However, like you my French is bad, and their website French only. You need a French speaker to decipher it!

So, have you someone there?

Or fellow pilgrims, anyone here that can speak French and help?

Davey

Jean Ti

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte, Primitivo, Frances,Via de la Plata

Trying to do one camino every year
Bonjour

Je suis Canadien francais, je vais lire les textes du fil et vous revenir.

I speak french, I will try to understand the problem and i will try to anwser your questions,

Last edited:

celinehenriette

Camino(s) past & future
Zwolle - Rome 2013
Jacobsweg Austria 2018
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Portugues 2018
Finisterre 2018
Hi, I work at an International mail company for PostNL and you can still send registered mail. It is also very quickly. It takes a day for mail to be sent from Netherlands to France, because it arrives at our place in the evening, is processed during the night and sent to France in the morning. If you sent it registered, it is handeled with more care, and because of regulations withing Europe, within a smaller timeframe than Non-registered mail.
Don't know of this knowledge helps, just wanted to let you know. If I can be of any help with the mailing proces just let me know.

Jean Ti

Camino(s) past & future

The bank card has been blocked. Insurance card obviously useless to anybody not carrying my name. Still, if anybody found it, it would be awesome.

They are in a small black case, I think I lost it somewhere between Anglure and Mery-sur-Seine on the Campaniensis (near Troyes).

It was raining bad that day, lots of changes jnto poncho etc...
Hello Guaihir

I speak french and I am from Canada. I can try to help you if you tell me what you need directly on the post or in private.

I just test if you can use Google translate on the french site and it does work. It might be a way for you to advance on the site.

I am presently on line

Last edited:

Jean Ti

Camino(s) past & future

It is currently 10pm in Spain I wonder if he will be around ?

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Camino + France equals most of the time I don't have mobile connectivity (no network!). Only in the bigger towns...

Yeah I'm going to try with Google translate and if it doesn't work I'll send you a message Jean! Thank you!!

PS bank card is now in France, just not where I am (it was delayed a whole week...!)

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Ok ,I translated the site but this is a re-direction service to forward mail from your old address to a new one temporarily, so it doesn't work considering the letter is already at the other address. Will figure out an address on the way to send it to...

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
I translated the site but this is a re-direction service
Yes, that link is of no use to you. This link confirms what @Davey Boyd has said earlier. The letter has to be addressed in the following way: your name, followed by the words "Poste restante" and the full address of the chosen post office. The post office will keep the letter for 15 days. You need to show your ID card when you pick it up.

Here you can find the addresses of post offices etc. Just enter the name of a town and you will get a map with their post office(s) and address(es).

I'm sure the letter can be sent as recommandé.
If you go to https://www.laposte.fr/envoyer#/categories-via-pre-step you can see various special options: lettre suivie, lettre prioritaire, lettre recommandée,

Last edited:

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Awesome :) are you absolutely sure? :p I can't risk any errors...

Edit: oh wait, I had very little sleep last night but I clicked the link now! Thank you!!

I'm sending the card somewhere near me then. Unfortunately even with lettre recommandee they are still slow. But it's a good solution!

Cheers from France (near Izzy L'Eveque)

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
Awesome :) are you absolutely sure? :p I can't risk any errors...
I can only be sure that I read it correctly on their website ☺.

For important letters, there is a next day delivery service (Chronopost service) but it costs at least 20,40 €, see here: https://www.laposte.fr/envoyer/affranchissement-lettre-colis# . The lettre suivie (see same link) starts at 1,25 € and promises delivery within 2 days. Same for lettre recommandée which starts at 4,18 €.

Last edited:

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Yeah I know about their promises :p I don't trust postal services (anymore...). bank card with lettre recommandee took a week! I might try prioritaire.

Thanks for you help all :) I will update when finally I have acquired my new slice of plastic...

Jean Ti

Camino(s) past & future

Hello Gwaihir

I am on line if I may help!

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Yeah I know about their promises :p I don't trust postal services (anymore...). bank card with lettre recommandee took a week! I might try prioritaire.
I just wanted to add something as their website is a bit odd in places. At various points, they give you the option of either sending a letter (envoyer un courier simple) or a letter ending a contract (envoyer une lettre de resiliation) with slightly different options. You find the option for recommended letters only under the second path - presumably because that's when the actual date of reception matters, which isn't the case for you.

Oh, I now see that there's also this - sending your keys, your passport, your ID card, your driving licence. They try to cover all eventualities ☺.

French post.jpg

Last edited:

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
Whoohooo I just retrieved my new bank card :)

The lady at the post office said I wasn't supossed to "send my mail there". Who cares! I'm not supossed to do many things :D

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route.
Whoohooo I just retrieved my new bank card :)

The lady at the post office said I wasn't supossed to "send my mail there". Who cares! I'm not supossed to do many things :D
Congratulations!
I'm happy things are resolving for you.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%