• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bank, debit card charges

Mark Baron

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014) Via de la Plata (2018)
Is anyone aware of a Spanish Bank that does NOT charge forigen debit cards for Euro withdrawals? I'm Canadian, with the Royal Bank of Canada.

Please Note:
  1. I do not plan on getting a Spanish bank account.
  2. I do not beleave the Royal Bank is affiliated with any Spanish Banks.
  3. With the my bank account, the the Royal Bank does not charge me for withdrawls at the Canadian end.
Just trying to avoid 5-7 Euros per withdrawl over a 6 week period??

Regards in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is the Royal Bank that charges you $5 per transaction. I bank with them and have no charges at home, but they do charge for foreign withdrawals. In Spain, sometimes a bank would not accept my card (for unknown reasons) but I found that Santander was quite reliable. There are other good banks too - just be sure that the bank shows the same "Plus" or "interac" symbol that is on your card.

I always used machines with the + symbol in any country- there were a few different banks that had these - bigger ones like Santander. I have the kind of package where even if I am charged 2-3 EURO, RBC will waive some of them. I've never been charged as much as 5-7 EURO this way.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/travel/gtc4.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You must render unto Royal what is Royal's. Get 300 euros at a shot, and you won't have to pay the fee too many times. Use a credit card when you can, which isn't very often, and stretch your cash reserve. When you can use your credit card, always decline the offer to post the transaction in dollars rather than euros.....Royal will give you a better exchange rate.

Buen Camino

In my experience when you are in the process of making a withdrawal the atm will tell you the fees their bank will charge. As soon as I get the message that the charge will be 5€ I cancel the transaction. A few attempts at withdrawals from various banks will let you know which ones play nicely with your bank.

Experience will also teach you which atms let you select your withdrawal in small currencies which for me is useful when I walk alone.

When withdrawing euros, the atm will give you the option to choose immediate conversion to euro or from your own currency. Again in my experience the cheapest option is to choose Euros.
(Please note: I have edited this paragraph with thanks to @trecile for the correction.)

Note that most banks have a limit on the maximum withdrawal of euros in any one day. You may need to confirm this with your bank before leaving home.

Additional unsolicited advice :D is to take more than one card and to only withdraw money during hours when the atm bank is open.

Apologies for all the extra info but thought your thread might be useful for those who are new to the camino.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree about using the larger banks. I had a Travel Money Card (MC but issued by my bank in Oz). I had it loaded with Euros. I would usually withdraw around E200 at a time, slightly more if I knew I was going to be in an area with limited ATM options. I usually was charged E2.20 for each withdrawal - actually its just a fee to use their ATM. Good luck

Consider a money passport card: http://www.cashpassport.com/1/global-landing-page/

You preload the card with euros and don't have to convert every time you withdraw money at an ATM. The card can be used like a credit card as well. When you loose the card it can be replaced by banks across the world and you don't have to wait for a replacement card from your bank.

This is a much saver option than a credit or debit card from your own bank.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for the update. It’s interesting but it does go against what I have heard. I started this thread in July last year.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-atm-or-credit-debit-card.49562/#post-538214
Maybe the situation has changed? :)
Cheers
H
Did you realize that you contradicted your own advice in this thread from the previous thread?

"Others may already know this but I didn't and was pleased to learn it. If you are not from an EU country, when using an atm or your credit/debit card on the camino, you are presented with an option to make the withdrawal/payment in local currency (ie. euros) or your home currency. I never knew how best to answer this question. Listening to the BBC early this morning there was a great segment on just this topic. Apparently the charges involved in converting to home currency can be excessive. According to the BBC, and I quote, "It is almost always better to pay in local currencies".

Did you realize that you contradicted your own advice in this thread from the previous thread?

"Others may already know this but I didn't and was pleased to learn it. If you are not from an EU country, when using an atm or your credit/debit card on the camino, you are presented with an option to make the withdrawal/payment in local currency (ie. euros) or your home currency. I never knew how best to answer this question. Listening to the BBC early this morning there was a great segment on just this topic. Apparently the charges involved in converting to home currency can be excessive. According to the BBC, and I quote, "It is almost always better to pay in local currencies".
Oh dear you are absolutely correct. My memory is appalling!
I will edit my earlier post and credit you. :)
H

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a look at the CIBC Prepaid Euro Visa. Once you load money on the card there is no exchange fees and so far I haven’t paid any ATM in Spain. I get one free withdrawal per month (from CIBC’s side) so take the money I’m comfortable with carrying. It functions as a Visa everywhere they take cards (hotels, supermercados, airlines, etc) that you may encounter on your trip. And the part I like best is that I can load the card online from my online banking with only the amount I want so if it gets lost/stolen it is minimal damage.

Remember to tell your bank/credit union back home that you are going abroad, or they may freeze your account. That goes for your credit cards too.

buen camino- :)

In my experience when you are in the process of making a withdrawal the atm will tell you the fees their bank will charge. As soon as I get the message that the charge will be 5€ I cancel the transaction. A few attempts at withdrawals from various banks will let you know which ones play nicely with your bank.

Experience will also teach you which atms let you select your withdrawal in small currencies which for me is useful when I walk alone.

When withdrawing euros, the atm will give you the option to choose immediate conversion to euro or from your own currency. Again in my experience the cheapest option is to choose Euros.
(Please note: I have edited this paragraph with thanks to @trecile for the correction.)

Note that most banks have a limit on the maximum withdrawal of euros in any one day. You may need to confirm this with your bank before leaving home.

Additional unsolicited advice :D is to take more than one card and to only withdraw money during hours when the atm bank is open.

Apologies for all the extra info but thought your thread might be useful for those who are new to the camino.

Buen camino.
Thanks, The method's/advice is pretty much what I have done also. Just wondering re: to only withdraw money during hours when the atm bank is open. is this in case you have a problem??

Consider a money passport card: http://www.cashpassport.com/1/global-landing-page/

You preload the card with euros and don't have to convert every time you withdraw money at an ATM. The card can be used like a credit card as well. When you loose the card it can be replaced by banks across the world and you don't have to wait for a replacement card from your bank.

This is a much saver option than a credit or debit card from your own bank.
Thanks, Good one I'll give it a try!

The Weswap card is available in 10 European countries including the UK. Link to your debit card and load or preload the amount you require. You can convert this into one or more of 18 currencies. ATM withdrawals are free above a certain limit - Euros 200 for Spain. (I've used this card in Europe and Asia without problems)
As with any ATM keep an eye out for surprise charges and cancel as needed before finding a free to use ATM.
Take a Credit card and debit card and tell your bank where and when you are travelling - Santander allows this online in the UK
NEVER let the merchant charge you in your home currency when paying by card. This is called Dynamic Currency Conversion and can cost you up to 10% more than paying in local currency. I had a sneaky hotel in Seville charge me in £ sterling and had a right ding dong to get them to cancel and put it through in euros but there was a £35 difference when I finally received my credit card bill. Buyer beware indeed!

Have a look at the CIBC Prepaid Euro Visa. Once you load money on the card there is no exchange fees and so far I haven’t paid any ATM in Spain. I get one free withdrawal per month (from CIBC’s side) so take the money I’m comfortable with carrying. It functions as a Visa everywhere they take cards (hotels, supermercados, airlines, etc) that you may encounter on your trip. And the part I like best is that I can load the card online from my online banking with only the amount I want so if it gets lost/stolen it is minimal damage.
Thanks for the advice!!

It is the Royal Bank that charges you $5 per transaction. I bank with them and have no charges at home, but they do charge for foreign withdrawals. In Spain, sometimes a bank would not accept my card (for unknown reasons) but I found that Santander was quite reliable. There are other good banks too - just be sure that the bank shows the same "Plus" or "interac" symbol that is on your card.
Your right it's the Royal Bank that charges the $5.00, but like I said with MY ACCOUNT these charges are waved!!! It's the surcharge fee below I'm trying to avoid.

Interac And PLUS System ATM Fees
When you use your RBC Client Card at an RBC Royal Bank banking machine, you only pay the applicable service fees for the transaction you are performing. However, when you use another operator's ATM, additional fees (as outlined below) may apply, depending on your bank account or package with us.

Table caption
ATM Network RBC Royal Bank Fee Interac $1.50PLUS System (within USA) $3.00PLUS System (outside Canada and USA) $5.00

Some ATM operators also apply a surcharge (or convenience fee) to use their banking machine. In Canada, all banking machine operators must notify you when they apply a convenience fee. The notice will appear on the screen before you complete your transaction, giving you the choice to proceed or not. This convenience fee is not an RBC Royal Bank fee. It is added directly to your withdrawal amount at the time of the withdrawal and goes directly to the ATM operator. RBC Royal Bank does not collect any portion of the convenience fee. For this reason, all clients who use these ATMs will be charged the convenience fee, regardless of the type of package or account they hold.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We carry a Travel Money card loaded with euros and we pay cash in store, so avoiding loading fees applied to debit/credit cards. Withdrawals are all charged at €2 regardless of the amount withdrawn, up to the maximum allowed in any 24 hour period. We carry a credit card for use where appropriate (eg hotel) but otherwise rely on cash and ATMs. For ATMs we check where they are located and also can see if they charge a fee themselves. Our card is a 'Mastercard' not 'Visa' - which may be charged at more ATMs.

It's the surcharge fee below I'm trying to avoid.
I have never been charged a surcharge when withdrawing on my Royal debit card, except on the rare occasion when I use a non "Interac" or non "Visa" machine. Just watch for those symbols. As I mentioned, I tend to go to the Santander banks which are quite common.

Thanks, The method's/advice is pretty much what I have done also. Just wondering re: to only withdraw money during hours when the atm bank is open. is this in case you have a problem??
Yes, not that I’ve ever had a problem but others on this forum have had their cards swallowed by the atm and if the bank is open you can hopefully get it back. It’s yet another thing I’ve learned from this forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is anyone aware of a Spanish Bank that does NOT charge forigen debit cards for Euro withdrawals? I'm Canadian, with the Royal Bank of Canada.

Please Note:
  3. With the my bank account, the the Royal Bank does not charge me for withdrawls at the Canadian end.

Regards in advance
We take all the cash we need. We use two money belts, one hidden beneath our clothing and another one with just enough cash for a day.

Please Note:

Regards in advance
I am with Scotia Bank and they gave me two such banks Deutch Bank and also a French Bank but cannot remember name..but the Deutch Banks are few and in only selected cities in Spain.

I got charged 5 euros to withdraw 300 euros at the Caixas Bank in Logrono. I didn't feel like shopping around but will in the next town with options.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try Liberbank, we were not charged for use of a MasterCard. Visa might be different.

Thank you, but I don't recall seeing Liberbank. I have a debit card loaded with euros, so it isn't a cash advance. I will post an update when I find a bank with a cheaper rate.

Thank you, but I don't recall seeing Liberbank. I have a debit card loaded with euros, so it isn't a cash advance. I will post an update when I find a bank with a cheaper rate.
Our card is also a euro loaded cash card, but is linked as a MasterCard not Visa. Caixabank did not charge us when we used their ATMs on the Norte. That is why I wonder if you have a Visa type of card.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am with Scotia Bank and they gave me two such banks Deutch Bank and also a French Bank but cannot remember name..but the Deutch Banks are few and in only selected cities in Spain.
yes, that is true, furthermore, I was informed by Scotia bank that the 5 euro transaction fee has gone up to 7 euros now.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.