Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bank Machines

johnBCCanada

I don't anticipate a problem but was just wondering whether there are places between Oveido and Lugo with ATMs so that I can replenish my euros rather than start off with and carry quite a large amount from Oveido.

John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
John,

We did the Primitivo last August and are intending to do it again this coming August. Definitely there are cash machines in Grado and Salas - I can't remember exactly where else between Oviedo and Lugo but you pass through enough decently sized places for it not to be a big concern. It's probably a good idea to have enough cash on hand for a couple of days because it's hard to predict exactly where the next machine will be. There isn't much to buy in the isolated stretches beyond a beer and a sandwich so you probably won't need a lot of cash. I think we had about 100 euros each on hand between 3 of us - so total of 300 - and we tried to keep it topped up to that level. If I were alone I'd probably carry 200 (just in case...but it's almost certainly more than you actually will need) and a credit card - but keep in mind that there are some quite isolated stretches. Of course this also depends on how many kilometers a day you intend to cover - I'm basing this on an average of about 25-30 km a day. Overall it seemed like a very safe route and we didn't spend a lot of money overall.

The total accumulated elevation gain between Oviedo and SdeC is about 30,000 feet with a similar total accumulated loss and it's gorgeous!

We had ultralight tents which were really useful because several albergues were full and they were good to have in case of emergency. Make sure you take some warm clothes (layers) and some waterproof clothing and/or a pack cover or poncho. We had 3 straight days of rain, cold and fog in the mountains before the heat of Lugo! We knew that rain was a possibility but were surprised at just how cold and wet it was!

Buen camino

David

Thanks for the information David. The amount of money taken doesn't seem excessive and shouldn't be a problem. I asked about bank machines because when I didn the Camino France a couple of years ago people didn't really want to take my Visa credit card. Don't know why.

I do plan to take raingear, a fleece and a toque. I don't think I will take camping gear cause I don't want to carry the additional weight. I'd rather take my chances and possible pay extra for somewehre to stay once or twice. As the weight on my back goes up the fun goes down. I am going in September so hopefully there will be fewer people on the Camino then and a bit more room at the inn.

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi John,
I found bank machines in Tineo and Grandas de Salime. I seem to remember seeing one in Fonsagrada as well but didn't use that one. Small bars will be reluctant to take bank cards but you should have no trouble in hotels / restaurants.
Enjoy the route1

blessings on your walking
Terry

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back