• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bar chart races come to the Camino

Charles Crowley

Time of past OR future Camino
2013,2014:Frances, 2015:Portuguese, 2017:Francigena, 2018:Norte, 2019:Ruta Cantabrica
You may have seen bar chart races on the web recently, they have been going viral since a British data journalist published one a while ago. I thought a few related to the Camino would be fun. You can see them here.

I already had the data from my Camino statistics site and borrowed the code from publically available templates. I'm new using the Observable environment so it is a little rough but I'll keep refining it.

If there are any other ones you want to see added let me know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very interesting but am I missing something? Shouldn't there be a time scale? 144,137 Spanish pilgrims over a week/month/year/decade? ;)
(Being factitious here, obviously)

Typo on third Option BTW.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was fun. :) Why so many Germans and Italians I wonder? You can see how the movie "The Way" affected the Americans. Was there something similar to make it popular in Italy and Germany?
Could have something to do with living in Europe? ;)
Plus you tend to get a lot of Catholics in Italy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very interesting but am I missing something? Shouldn't there be a time scale? 144,137 Spanish pilgrims over a week/month/year/decade? ;)
(Being factitious here, obviously)

Typo on third Option BTW.
Those counts are by year. If you have a small screen or big fonts, you might not be able to see the year change on the bottom right below the bars. The counts change as the years go by. I might not understand your question, but maybe this is the answer you are looking for?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many Germans told me that the Hape Kerkeling book/movie inspired them.
a040.gif

Hape Kerkeling is a famous german (retired) comedian who walked the Camino Francés in 2001. He wrote a book about his way which was published in 2006 and turned out to be a bestseller.

In 2015 the movie "Ich bin dann mal weg" was published, also a great success. And yes, lots of Germans started walking the Camino because of him.

That's also why almost all Germans believe the camino has to be startet at SJPdP - me too by the way ;) - because that's where Hape started his way.

Fortunately I got aware of this forum before starting to walk the Frances this year :D. I started not in SJPdP but in Pamplona - which was the best decision I made before starting, considering my circumstances, though it was a very difficult decision for me to make, because to walk the "real Camino one has to start at SJPdP"! :rolleyes:

I made it all through to SdC without any blisters, injuries etc. though not without doubts inbetween whether I would make it. But I arrived :).

"Pilgrim nationality per million" - I think I know what these charts show and they are interesting. But the description may not be obvious. Care to explain?

Very interesting! You can see the affects of the Holy Year, the movie 'The Way' and the book Í'm Off Then had on different year but hope someone can add to the data to see the affect of Shirley MacLean and Paolo Coehlo had with their books. Thanks for taking the time to do this project!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Pilgrim nationality per million" - I think I know what these charts show and they are interesting. But the description may not be obvious. Care to explain?

The large population countries tend to have more pilgrims. My wife wondered which countries had the most pilgrims per capita. Since that would be a tiny number I calculated the per capita rate times 1 million or the number of pilgrims per million people. Andorra is a big winner with only 77,000 people so in a year
1000000 * number-of-andorran-pilgrims / 77000 is a pretty big number, compared to say
1000000 * number-of-usa-pilgrims / 327000000. The US is way down this list but high in total pilgrims. Portugal is also right next door and has about 10 million people so it is second highest.

I thought a few related to the Camino would be fun. You can see them here.
This is transfixing.
For even more fun, thrte are lots of options, like changeing the settings to include more countries and/or Spain - and the number of countries being displayed.
Well done and thanks Charles!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those counts are by year. If you have a small screen or big fonts, you might not be able to see the year change on the bottom right below the bars. The counts change as the years go by. I might not understand your question, but maybe this is the answer you are looking for?
Ah! I see it now! Perhaps give it a bit more punch? Larger font/colour/boldness?

Many thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You may have seen bar chart races on the web recently, they have been going viral since a British data journalist published one a while ago. I thought a few related to the Camino would be fun. You can see them here.

I already had the data from my Camino statistics site and borrowed the code from publically available templates. I'm new using the Observable environment so it is a little rough but I'll keep refining it.

I was remiss in not giving a big thanks to the good people at the pilgrim's office that make this data visualization possible. They do a huge amount of work collecting and uploading these statistics so I can do a small amount of work to make these charts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The per capital bar chart shown first just shows what percentage of people from that country walked the Camino (if your "Pilgrim nationality per million population is the number of pilgrims from that country per capita)? In other words, the denominator is the population of the country, not the population of walkers?

Last edited:
The large population countries tend to have more pilgrims. My wife wondered which countries had the most pilgrims per capita. Since that would be a tiny number I calculated the per capita rate times 1 million or the number of pilgrims per million people. Andorra is a big winner with only 77,000 people so in a year
1000000 * number-of-andorran-pilgrims / 77000 is a pretty big number, compared to say
1000000 * number-of-usa-pilgrims / 327000000. The US is way down this list but high in total pilgrims. Portugal is also right next door and has about 10 million people so it is second highest.

It would be interesting to see Americans organized by state, or region (northeast, southeast, midwest, etc.).

This is the percentage of the home country population who has walked the Camino. (Not the percentage of walkers on the Camino that come from each country). So if a million people live in Country A and ten of them walked the Camino and 2 million people live in Country B and ten of them walked the Camino, Country A would show twice as many walkers compared to Country B on the chart above. Even though there were the same number of pilgrims from each country.

Last edited:
From a fellow numberphile, brilliant! Do you know anything about the Pilgrim Welcome Office’s statistics page not functioning since June?

The word is that the person who oversees this has been ill. Wouldn’t one think that they would find a replacement to oversee this function.

Do you know anything about the Pilgrim Welcome Office’s statistics page not functioning since June? https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/
The word is that the person who oversees this has been ill. Wouldn’t one think that they would find a replacement to oversee this function.
Don’t use the English version of the website for statistics.

The Spanish version shows both the current daily arrival number and the monthly statistics, up to and including October 2019. They have made some changes to the design:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas2/

At one point during the day (I think it's at 16:00 ... ), the website even switches to real-time reporting when the line Ayer llegaron ... turns into Esta mañana llegaron ... . A few minutes ago it said Esta mañana llegaron 100 peregrinos and now it says Esta mañana llegaron 102 peregrinos (= Earlier today, 102 pilgrims arrived).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back