• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bar Elvis is closed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in Reliegos in October last year. The bar was closed because of siesta scheduling, but the door was open and I wandered in. The owner was cleaning and puttering around. We chatted for a bit before I headed to one of the little mercados to grab a few snacks before dinner time. Later, I was walking around the village after 8 pm, and the Elvis was closed.

Such an eclectic place, hopping by for a speedy return! If you know... you know 56596

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I walked through Reliegos mid-afternoon toward the end of November, it was closed. Very disappointed. It was a magical place when I was there last spring. Hope everything is o.k.

It was closed the day I passed through Reliegos in 2015....

Come to think of it, I've never broken bread with anyone who actually found it open!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was open when I wandered through Reliegos at the end of January 2018. Sadly I was freshly fed and hydrated and didn't pop in, sounds like I may have missed out on an experience.

It was closed the day I passed through Reliegos in 2015....

Come to think of it, I've never broken bread with anyone who actually found it open!
You didn't meet me then :D
Twice I walked through Reliegos it was opened and I can't remember free jamon y queso tapas so huge than at Elvis.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked to Reliegos in 2016, accompanied on the last part of my walk by a young man named James, I believe he was an Australian, who was walking the camino bare footed. He was eager to renew his acquaintance with the owner of the bar, and I think that he spent the whole night there, drinking and socializing, and never made it to a bed. It was certainly a unique location because of its owner, but very far out of my comfort zone, so part of the adventure of travelling in foreign parts.

I walked to Reliegos in 2016, accompanied on the last part of my walk by a young man named James, I believe he was an Australian, who was walking the camino bare footed. He was eager to renew his acquaintance with the owner of the bar, and I think that he spent the whole night there, drinking and socializing, and never made it to a bed. It was certainly a unique location because of its owner, but very far out of my comfort zone, so part of the adventure of travelling in foreign parts.
After a night at Elvis you just shouldn't plan to walk to Leon the next day. It can be very tough on some senses ;)
Mansilla de las Mulas would be quite OK though.

It's a special bar. So is its owner :D
I know Bar Elvis is sort of sacred site. But I had the bad fortune of drinking coffee there in 2014. I memorable event - but definitely not a good one. If it has close, it won’t be missed for its coffee.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I stopped in the late afternoon September 2015 he was sleeping on a bench. He got up and we shared a few laughs. Later that evening the place was jam packed full of people in full party mode.

Cannot remember how the coffee was, but I stopped by in May 2016 and had lunch there. Quite a unique place. Fascinating walls inside. My office's walls are totally boring compared to that bar, too much white space ... ;)

Cannot remember how the coffee was, but I stopped by in May 2016 and had lunch there. Quite a unique place. Fascinating walls inside. My office's walls are totally boring compared to that bar, too much white space ... ;)
I guess it's time to start partying in your office and decorating those white walls :D :D :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was open both times I passed through in June 2015/2017.

Attachments

• Camino (5578).JPG
    Camino (5578).JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 67
I first saw it in The Way and then stopped there on 2 consecutive years. It had changed from the bright blue colour to some indescript shade that I didn't recognise it but I think that the whole character of the bar had changed with it.

That is a drag. I haven't been there since 2014. I was hoping that it would be open when I did my winter camino this November. People wrote some very funny and cool things on those walls.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope does come back he is a very special man

DSCN9476.JPG

Notice the cigarette. I walked into the bar. He was wearing this mask. He threw me a cigarette (I never even spoke), then threw me out. He was spraying the bar for flies. He lit his cigarette straight afterwards, I thought he was gonna blow the place up! Then he came outside carrying a baby bird, passed me a whole bottle of wine (I still had not spoke) and started to feed it steak. Yep, I am back at Bar Elvis. Bless his cotton socks.

DSCN9479.JPG

Hope he is fine and comes back soon!

Davey

I have been in Reliegos several times and the bar has always been open. 😁

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bar Elvis was most Definitely open when I was in Religeos in April last year with The Camino Skies Documentary team. We all, at various times during the afternoon and the evening, popped our heads in to say hello and to satisfy our curiosity about this almost 'legendary bar'.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 56709

Notice the cigarette. I walked into the bar. He was wearing this mask. He threw me a cigarette (I never even spoke), then threw me out. He was spraying the bar for flies. He lit his cigarette straight afterwards, I thought he was gonna blow the place up! Then he came outside carrying a baby bird, passed me a whole bottle of wine (I still had not spoke) and started to feed it steak. Yep, I am back at Bar Elvis. Bless his cotton socks.

View attachment 56711

Davey

It's El Ramon!!! :eek:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Current status? Anybody know?
I can’t answer your question but I wonder whether the thread title isn’t misleading, and neither the bar nor “Elvis” are history yet. I’ve seen posts on Facebook where people were in the bar in May this year after the date of the original post in this thread, including photos of the legendary owner/barkeeper. His proper name is Eusignio, btw, not Emanuel, and it’s shortened to Sinín.

Should I admit that we didn’t even enter the famous bar but spent a pleasant stop in the place next door? Probably stupid of me but I often feel no desire to visit the places and people that have become Camino celebrities and I just wish I had not heard or read about them so often beforehand ... are there any other weirdos like me?

Last edited:
And to shed some light on the meaning of descansar in this context. There are many articles about the world famous bar and its owner, and according to one interview in 2010: Desde 2004 sólo he cerrado una vez para descansar”, comenta con orgullo - "Since 2004 I've closed the bar only once in order to take time off/rest/etc.", he said proudly. That record is apparently now broken by at least one other descanso, no doubt well deserved. ☺

In 2016 we had a break just before the Bar Elvis. We wished we had stopped there but continued on. In 2017 we watched “The Way” (again) before our second Camino and noticed a quick flash of the bar in the movie. We definitely stopped in this time on our way to Mulas. The owner was great, friendly and even had a video of “The Way” playing in the corner of the bar. I hope the owner is on a holiday and will reopen soon. Bar Elvis is great for a break on the Meseta!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can’t answer your question but I wonder whether the thread title isn’t misleading, and neither the bar nor “Elvis” are history yet. I’ve seen posts on Facebook where people were in the bar in May this year after the date of the original post in this thread, including photos of the legendary owner/barkeeper. His proper name is Eusignio, btw, not Emanuel, and it’s shortened to Sinín.

Should I admit that we didn’t even enter the famous bar but spent a pleasant stop in the place next door? Probably stupid of me but I often feel no desire to visit the places and people that have become Camino celebrities and I just wish I had not heard or read about them so often beforehand ... are there any other weirdos like me?
Current status? Anybody know?

[

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

View attachment 56709

View attachment 56711

Davey
Had a similar experience when I passed through with my 14 year old son Max in 2017. He showed us the bird and Max still has the video he took. Max then decorated the outside wall as there wasn't a spare inch on the inside. Definitely one of a kind.

Attachments

• 20170727_143138.jpg
    20170727_143138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Passed by midday Mon Sept 30, 2019. Found it closed yet again. (Sign said something like "Open at 5:45 PM.")
Oh dear, of dear. Perhaps he has just had enough for the time being and, like the rest of us, needs some time to himself during the day.
Entire Camino ruined! ;)

View attachment 65584

Sounds like he sporadically decides when to open and when not.

I was there recently (May 24th, 2019) and it was open. The crazy barkeeper as usual was singing at the top of his voice.

Previously I was there on Oct 4th, 2016, and spent 3 hours in the bar. I was staying in the Albergue just down the road (Pedro‘s Albergue), so getting to bed wasn’t too far a crawl.

It was open the night I was in Religeos, about 20th September 2019.

I found it disappointing. Allowing customers to scrawl sillly things on the walls in marker pens may be open-minded, but it doesn’t make for a coherent story or even one where you will feel comfortable. Some authors don’t think too hard before scrawling gibberish.

It’s not as good as the myth. In my opinion, that is...

It was open the night I was in Religeos, about 20th September 2019.

I found it disappointing. Allowing customers to scrawl sillly things on the walls in marker pens may be open-minded, but it doesn’t make for a coherent story or even one where you will feel comfortable. Some authors don’t think too hard before scrawling gibberish.

It’s not as good as the myth. In my opinion, that is...

stopped there once for drink and to use the bathroom.

felt like a needed a shower afterwards ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
stopped there once for drink and to use the bathroom.

felt like a needed a shower afterwards ;)

To me it is the best bar on the Camino. And best bar on any Camino I have walked! I have had some great nights in there, especially after 10pm when the pilgrims are in bed and the locals come out!

But I am glad we are all different!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back