• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barca do Lago, an old Caminho crossing.

edumad

Time of past OR future Camino
Português '12 '14 (Rates), '18 (Ponte de Lima)
Interior '15 (Vila Real)
Francês '16 (Ponferrada).
In Esposende two sections of the Caminho come together. The Coastal route comes northwards from Póvoa do Varzim and enters Apúlia. From São Pedro de Rates there is section which connects the central route to the coastal, it enters through Fonte Boa.

The route of this section is not random optional connection. There was a historical Santiago route from Porto-Rates-Laúndos-Barca do Lago.

Barca do Lago means Lake boat, by boat I mean a broad flat bottomed ferry boat.

Barca do lago is the common name for the area between Gemeses and Fonte Boa were the Cávado river makes a curve.

There is evidence from place names that since the 13th century the area was a crossing point of the river. There are claims that in the same century the king D. Sancho II crossed there during his pilgrimage. While early pilgrimages are hard to prove, there is plenty of evidence from the 16th through 19th century with traveller chronicles describing the area and their crossing.

The boatman and boat were at the care of local lords, with the populations of the neighbouring villages paying a contribution for the maintenance (bales of wheat, sacks of corn and the like). Pilgrims crossed freely, their crossing being done as a good action for God.

There was a bridge in Barcelos since the 14th century, and of course people crossed the river in boats at several points along its length, not everywhere could you cross with an oxen cart, so this made this crossing important.

An 18th century reports tells of an Inn on the northern bank of river where pilgrims and travellers would lay-over. It also functioned as a make-shift hospital as feverish guests could be treated by blood letting.

Since 1892, with the construction of the bridge between Fão and Esposende, there was less usefulness for this crossing. The last “barca” was officially registered between 1942 and 1947 with dimensions approx. 10m by 3.5m.

The current caminhos in Esposende district now converge in Fão. There is a projected extension of the river side path in Fão to the river beach in Barca do Lago.

IMG_1615 by eduardodourado, on Flickr
IMGP8249 by eduardodourado, on Flickr
IMGP2807 by eduardodourado, on Flickr

It will then be very easy and a pleasant walk to follow the original caminho until the river an then walk along the river banks until the bridge in Fão.

IMG_20161120_115458 by eduardodourado, on Flickr
IMG_20161120_114932 by eduardodourado, on Flickr

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back