• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona accommodation

Nan

Time of past OR future Camino
. April 2016. April 2017
Hi
Any ideas on where to stay in Barcelona for 2 nights before starting camino. Taking the early train to Pamplona so should we stay near the station or in centre of town for sightseeing. Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is no need to stay near the train station as the public transport system is very good. Stay in lower part of Gracia or in the Eixample near Passeig de Gracia. From these less touristy locations it is never more than a twenty walk to the center or a 20-30 minute metro ride to Sant Estacio.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would say that whether you wish to stay near the Sants station depends on how early your train is for Pamplona, assuming it leaves from that station.

The other good thing about staying near the Sants station is that upon your arrival from OZ, it's easy to get to Sants via public transport and from there into the city for sightseeing. Lastly, there is a tourist info booth in Sants that will help you plan your days in Barcelona. A highlight for us was a flamenco show, very intimate, across the street from the Picasso museum.

I love the fact that you will spend a few days getting over jet lag in a great city before starting your Camino.

Here is a link for public transport from the airport into the city. https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/transport/barcelona-airport-train.html

Tom

I found what looked like it would be a great apartment on AirBnB last year but was forced to cancel due to injury.

We did exactly the same last year. We stayed at Hotel Expo, very clean and comfortable, relatively low budget. ($100 - $150US per night) Advantage is that it is right across the street from Sants Train Station. Airport shuttle drop off is about 5 blocks away - easy walk or a cheap cab fare. Most of the sights are similarly handy. On our return we booked an apartment through Booking.com - approx $200US and up per night

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Um, no, 100 to 150 euros a night is not low budget. Not even in Barcelona, at this time of the year. You can get a room in a decent hostal for 30 euros for two people.
But it's your money, spend it how you like.
Easy enough to just knock on the door and ask, out of the high season. Or even go to the tourist office and tell them your top price.

Um, no, 100 to 150 euros a night is not low budget. Not even in Barcelona, at this time of the year. You can get a room in a decent hostal for 30 euros for two people.
But it's your money, spend it how you like.
Easy enough to just knock on the door and ask, out of the high season. Or even go to the tourist office and tell them your top price.
Um, yes, there is a big difference all around between hostels and hotels. Unlikely you would get a true hotel for under $100 in the spring or summer, but yes, hostels abound at all levels of price and quality. Each to his own Camino, options abound.

Thank you all so much. I do appreciate the replies. Will check them all out. Daughter and I starting from St J on 26th April.
Carol

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Nan
Google JAM hostel. It's a great hostel that also has double rooms. Good price, new and clean, and lovely owners. In Gracia district which is a good walk from the centre or you can use the metro.
I have stayed there a few times.
Buen camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've stayed at the Hostal Girona two different times, about €50/night for two people. It's in the Eixample neighborhood. Very comfortable, clean, and close to Metro. Very nice people. No breakfast. Some rooms ensuite bath, some shared, and some with a balcony. I'll stay there again when I return to BCN.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. I will check that out. Price sounds good. I think that area might be ok.

Useful tips. Do any hostels / b&b or similar give any pilgrims' discount?

I found what looked like it would be a great apartment on AirBnB last year but was forced to cancel due to injury.
My reason to cancel was technical problems with the airplane out of Santiago. It meant leaving at 4 am instead of 9 pm the evening before. Sit and wait. When I canceled, I had to pay the full price. On AirBnB the owner of the B&B has options. One of them stipulates he gets the full price when someone cancels. I learned that it is good to have a good look at what is offered -- including the small print!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.