• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Barcelona while walking the Camino Frances

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I'm not sure if there are any pilgrim albergues in Barcelona, but there are certainly tourist hostels/albergues and other reasonably-priced accommodation. Your camino passport is supposed to be a record of where you have walked, so, even if there were pilgrim albergues, I don't think you'd be able to use them unless you were actually walking through Barcelona on your journey. If you're taking a few days break in Barcelona, you should get your pilgrim passport stamped before you leave Pamplona, and again in Pamplona when you return from Barcelona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know of no pilgrim albergues in Barcelona but there are quite a few hostels. They are generally setup for young adults looking for a good time in the city so they may not be what you are looking for. A place we have stayed has hostel facilities, private rooms and shared apartments (e.g. two bedrooms with locked doors rented separately connected to shared bath, living room and kitchen).

To actually book you may need to register at

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Another place to get a credencial is at Sant Pau de Camp located a short walk from the already mentioned Hostel Paradiso and even closer to the Parallel Metro station. Romanesque simplicity. I visited it twice during my tourist stay in Barcelona and touched it on the morning I started my Camino Catalan (also touched Sant Jaume and other churches visited earlier in my stay; I left early in the morning so none were open).

Information and photos are available here:

But here are two pics of it and Sant Jaume:
IMG_20191007_113950-01-01.jpeg IMG_20191007_125059-01.jpeg

There is a pilgrims' albergue in Montserrat and, I have heard, one in Terrassa-- although I can find no specifics. However, they are intended for pilgrims who are on the Cami Catalan. But if you're just heading into Barcelona for an excursion, the city is full of inexpensive accommodation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi everyone, my husband and I are walking the Camino Frances in April 2022. we will start in SJPDP, but thought of catching a train to Barcelona from Pamplona for a few days and then returning to Pamplona to continue to Santiago. Are there albergues in Barcelona? Can we use our Camino Passports to stay in one?
Thanks!
There is a difference between an alburge and a hostel. Alburges are set up for pilgrims. One night stay, mandatory check out early, pilgrims only, and no one is essentially carrying anything valuable. Hostels can have a varied cliential, some dubious. Multiple night stays are typical so you can have a individuals who's means are unknown. Never saw a padlock in an alburge. Padlocks are encouraged in hostels.

Pilgrim friend stayed at a hostel in Barcelona enroute to the Camino in 2021. Worst stay of his trip since it was full of a different kind of traveler than what you find on the Camino. He’s tolerant and progressive, but definitely didn’t like the change in atmosphere there.

I’ve stayed at the old pilgrom’s albergue in Montserrat. Can’t speak to the new facility, but the chance to stay overnight there and attend services was fantastic. One day walk from there to Manresa, which is the final stage of the Camino Ignacio

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you load the Hostelworld app on to your device you can see that there are plenty of hostels in Barcelona and you should be able to find something suitable and economical.

Hi everyone, my husband and I are walking the Camino Frances in April 2022. we will start in SJPDP, but thought of catching a train to Barcelona from Pamplona for a few days and then returning to Pamplona to continue to Santiago. Are there albergues in Barcelona? Can we use our Camino Passports to stay in one?
Thanks!
Ten to Go hostel is about 100m from Barcelona Sants. Very comfortable. Not an albergue but many pilgrims stay there.

There is a difference between an alburge and a hostel. Alburges are set up for pilgrims. One night stay, mandatory check out early, pilgrims only, and no one is essentially carrying anything valuable. Hostels can have a varied cliential, some dubious. Multiple night stays are typical so you can have a individuals who's means are unknown. Never saw a padlock in an alburge. Padlocks are encouraged in hostels.
That may once have been true but the distinction is not so cut and dried right now. Some albergues allow more than one night's stay, not all have a mandatory early check out (in fact, some prohibit leaving too early), some private albergues are not exclusively for pilgrims. Where once it was binary, now it is a spectrum.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
do you have to have a contiguous journey? so many people bus from Burgos to Leon and then walk on.
To claim a compostella you need to evidence a contiguous journey of the last 100km into Santiago. Claiming a Certificate of Distance might get a bit confusing if you've bused bits or done some flitting about. Though with the correct sequence of sellos on your credencial there should be no problem I think I would avoid getting a sello from Barcelona in-between ones from Pamplona and Puenta la Reina ;)

My personal inclination would be to walk from say St Jean to Santiago as a pilgrim. And then visit Barcelona as the sybarite I am.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations, soon my girlfriend and I will also fly there to rest. After the covid began, I did not go anywhere further than my city, although I used to travel constantly. This put a lot of pressure on me psychologically, and I decided that I would immediately fly to rest as soon as the borders were opened. By the way, I advise you to look at this site before your vacation, since all free tours of Barcelona are collected there, so it will also be useful for you. Good luck to you, and I hope that we all have a good time and relax

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back